PDA

View Full Version : Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger Intends On Practicing Fully Next Week

Shoes
10-18-2015, 08:51 PM
BY DAVE BRYAN (http://www.steelersdepot.com/author/davebryan/) OCTOBER 18, 2015 AT 07:49 PM
Will the Pittsburgh Steelers get injured starter Ben Roethlisberger back next week for their road game against the Kansas City Chiefs? Nobody really knows for sure, but it looks like Roethlisberger intends on upping his participation in practice next week just the same.
“We’re going to tape it and brace it and I’m going to see what I can do, (http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2015/10/18/Steelers-quarterback-Roethlisberger-plans-to-practice-and-did-not-rule-out-playing-against-Kansas/stories/201510180234)” Roethlisberger said after the Steelers beat the Arizona Cardinals, 25-13, According to Ron Cook of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. “My plan is to go out Wednesday and practice. We’ll see what happens. I know I’ve got to be smart about it. I’ve got to be able to defend myself. We’re just going to take it day by day.”
This past week, Roethlisberger was able to practice on a limited basis on Wednesday and Thursday before sitting out the Friday session. He has missed the last three games with a left MCL sprain that he suffered back in week 3.
Roethlisberger has never missed more than three games in a row during his career due to injuries. If he is able to play next Sunday, he will likely need to wear a brace on his left knee.
After Sunday’s win, head coach Mike Tomlin was asked about how soon he’d like to be able to name a starter for the game against the Chiefs.
“As quick as I can, but I don’t know what that means,” said Tomlin. “I want complete clarity, but I don’t always get what I want. We’ll go day-by-day and do what we think is appropriate.”
If Roethlisberger is unable to play next Sunday, odds are good that Landry Jones will make his first career start thanks to his play Sunday after he relived an injured Mike Vick, who left in the third quarter with a hamstring injury.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/10/steelers-qb-ben-roethlisberger-intends-on-practicing-fully-next-week/

teegre
10-18-2015, 08:53 PM
Rest up.

Let the Hipster Lumberjack run the offense against the hapless Chiefs.

fansince'76
10-18-2015, 08:54 PM
Rest up.

Let the Hipster Lumberjack run the offense against the hapless Chiefs.

I would agree, but I think he needs a tuneup game, because if we lose against the Bengals the following week, it could mean the division.

I'd give my left nut for that Ravens loss back with Boswell as our PK.

teegre
10-18-2015, 08:56 PM
I would agree, but I think he needs a tuneup game, because if we lose against the Bengals the following week, it could mean the division.

I hear you... but... a week more rest on that knee might be more important (in the long run) than winning the division.

fansince'76
10-18-2015, 08:59 PM
I hear you... but... a week more rest on that knee might be more important (in the long run) than winning the division.

I want a shot at one of the bye weeks, and it looks like the Pats* are going to cakewalk to one of them once again, as usual. Screw playing a WC game if we don't have to. Just more chances for injuries to key players.

teegre
10-18-2015, 09:05 PM
I want a shot at one of the bye weeks, and it looks like the Pats* are going to cakewalk to one of them once again, as usual. Screw playing a WC game if we don't have to. Just more chances for injuries to key players.

True...

But, what if BB comes back too early, and reaggravates the knee?

86WARD
10-18-2015, 09:05 PM
This team needs all the bye weeks they can get at the rate they are going.

fansince'76
10-18-2015, 09:06 PM
True...

But, what if BB comes back too early, and reaggravates the knee?

Good point.

Still, I hope he feels good enough to go next week. :pray:

teegre
10-18-2015, 09:07 PM
Good point.

Still, I hope he feels good enough to go next week. :pray:

Exactly.

Fingers crossed.

86WARD
10-18-2015, 09:36 PM
I don't know...lol...I'm kinda curious to see Jones play a full game.

Craic
10-18-2015, 09:48 PM

I'd give my left nut for that Ravens loss back with Boswell as our PK.

And I'd offer up your right one for that Patriots loss. :chuckle:

SteelFever
10-18-2015, 09:57 PM
I don't know...lol...I'm kinda curious to see Jones play a full game.

I agree, we finally have a real quarterback as the backup. I hope he gets to play an entire game next week against the crappy Chiefs, rest Ben another week, don't want to bring him back too soon and have a relapse.

steelreserve
10-18-2015, 10:27 PM
Unless by some miracle Ben is fully ready, I'd be inclined to start Jones next week with Ben as the backup. That way, if Jones' effort today was just a one-off and he sucks in the first half or turns into a turnover machine, we could pull the ripcord and still have a chance to win the game. If that happens and Vick is the backup, we're just going to get more suck.

I don't want to rush Ben back too soon, which is why I'd avoid starting him if possible. Out of the two backups, Jones now seems like the one who gives us a better chance to win. But we've got to remember that as amazing as it was to see him look like a real QB today, it was only one half. The next game could turn out entirely differently. If we truly do need Ben, then take the chance.

Psycho Ward 86
10-18-2015, 10:36 PM
Unless by some miracle Ben is fully ready, I'd be inclined to start Jones next week with Ben as the backup. That way, if Jones' effort today was just a one-off and he sucks in the first half or turns into a turnover machine, we could pull the ripcord and still have a chance to win the game. If that happens and Vick is the backup, we're just going to get more suck.

I don't want to rush Ben back too soon, which is why I'd avoid starting him if possible. Out of the two backups, Jones now seems like the one who gives us a better chance to win. But we've got to remember that as amazing as it was to see him look like a real QB today, it was only one half. The next game could turn out entirely differently. If we truly do need Ben, then take the chance.

i wonder if this has ever been done before. im inclined to agree with this strategy

zulater
10-19-2015, 05:02 AM
There's no such thing as fully healthy in the NFL. You either are good enough to go, or you aren't. If the doctors clear him, and Ben feels he can compete at high enough a level to give the team a chance to win he plays. It's as simple as that. You live with the results.