PDA

View Full Version : Beachum done - torn ACL

Steelman
10-18-2015, 03:29 PM

Tough loss. Beachum not a all-world but definitely underrated.

polamalubeast
10-18-2015, 03:32 PM
Maybe his last game with the steelers.

- - - Updated - - -

but next man up....

Shoes
10-18-2015, 03:33 PM
I'm happy we have Big AL, who played very well in Beach's place.

Merchant
10-18-2015, 03:33 PM
Damn. First Pouncey now this. Not a good season for the O-Line.

Drazo85
10-18-2015, 03:34 PM
Too bad. Good player and a great guy.

86WARD
10-18-2015, 03:36 PM
Damn...that could leave a mark...

Roster move?

SteelerFanInStl
10-18-2015, 03:37 PM
Damn! That's what I feared. Time for Big Al to make a name for himself.

Craic
10-18-2015, 03:37 PM
Damn! That's what I feared. Time for Big Al to make a name for himself.

Yep, it looked pretty ugly. Not surprised either. I agree though, Al looked pretty good today.

hawaiiansteeler
10-18-2015, 03:41 PM
I'll bet Beachum wishes he would have signed that contract extension now...

lipps83
10-18-2015, 03:44 PM
I missed him getting hurt looking for a better stream for the game. What happened?

hawaiiansteeler
10-18-2015, 03:46 PM
Damn...that could leave a mark...

Roster move?

Mike Adams is eligible to return from the PUP list...

Steeldude
10-18-2015, 03:50 PM
That sucks and it hurts, but I don't think it is that bad of a loss. Losing Decastro would have been worse, IMO.

Psycho Ward 86
10-18-2015, 03:59 PM
Now we get to see what we have in Alejandro. Could help us make a better decision on extensions for the off season. He looked good out there today just from a first glance

Steeltreal
10-18-2015, 04:17 PM
There goes the Defensive 1st Round Draft trend.. Tackle please!

fansince'76
10-18-2015, 04:26 PM
How's Tuitt? He was limping around on the sideline towards the end of the game too.

tube517
10-18-2015, 04:29 PM
How's Tuitt? He was limping around on the sideline towards the end of the game too.

Knee injury. Hope that isn't too serious. We have no depth at DE

86WARD
10-18-2015, 04:33 PM
If Tuitt is injured, that will be a big problem for the defense...probably a bigger injury than Pouncey or anyone else not named Ben...

86WARD
10-18-2015, 04:34 PM
BTW - the injury report for the Packers when they won the Super Bowl was pretty deep...and they did it...so...alls not lost...lol

ALLD
10-18-2015, 06:23 PM
Beech will really have an opportunity to test the FA market now, but that's the chance you take. Every move you make, every leg you break.

salamander
10-18-2015, 06:28 PM
Losing Tuitt would definitely be the bigger loss...

zulater
10-18-2015, 07:36 PM
I heard going into this week the Bengals haven't lost a starter so much as one game to injury for the entire season to date. Not wishing injur on anyone, but damn! :frusty:

86WARD
10-18-2015, 07:45 PM
True and that streak stayed alive today when Leon Hall played.

katmandu
10-18-2015, 07:52 PM
Mike Adams is eligible to return from the PUP list...Oh Lord! Thanks for the reminder. :rolleyes:

Keep Big Al in there and keep Mikey on the bench. At least until he starts playing like someone pissed in his Wheaties for God's sake!

- - - Updated - - -

655842441518534661Let me get it out of my system....

Beechum is "Injury Prone", he can't keep himself healthy.... get rid of him !

Ok, I feel better now !

Psycho Ward 86
10-18-2015, 07:59 PM
If Alejandro ends up not being worthy, do you guys think this injury will make Kelvin easier or harder to negotiate a contract extension with?

86WARD
10-18-2015, 08:01 PM
AV played well. If that continues, Beachum may have a tough time trying to gain leverage...with his replacement in there and coming back from an injury...

teegre
10-18-2015, 08:19 PM
2016:

LT: Villanueva
LG: Beachum

katmandu
10-18-2015, 08:27 PM
2016:

LG: BeachumPains me very much to say this but we very well may have seen Beachum's last time in a Steelers uniform.

May not be able to afford his new contract next year.

teegre
10-18-2015, 08:28 PM
Pains me very much to say this but we very well may have seen Beachum's last time in a Steelers uniform.

May not be able to afford his new contract next year.

His leverage just went waaay down.

86WARD
10-18-2015, 08:31 PM
2016:

LG: Beachum

?

teegre
10-18-2015, 08:51 PM
?

Villanueva will step up and become a legitimate LT.

Capiche?

86WARD
10-18-2015, 08:57 PM

Capiche?

And Beachum a LG?

teegre
10-18-2015, 08:59 PM
And Beachum a LG?

Yes. It's been my contention (for about a year or so) that Foster is average and that Beachum is better suited for LG.

This injury could be a blessing in disguise (in the long run... obviously, not for this season).

86WARD
10-18-2015, 09:01 PM
You think he'll settle for LG money and stay in Pittsburgh? I'd like that, but Imthink he'd rather take some LT money somewhere else.

teegre
10-18-2015, 09:06 PM
You think he'll settle for LG money and stay in Pittsburgh? I'd like that, but Imthink he'd rather take some LT money somewhere else.

True, but this knee injury just lowered his free agency value.

Psycho Ward 86
10-18-2015, 09:13 PM
I cant foresee the most underrated LT in the league being ok with moving to LG. He'll get paid a lot less and he's found his home at LT.

Knee injury hasnt necessarily done much to his pricetag since teams are always going to put a big pricetag on a good LT.

Im just waiting for someone to dispute the above statements by saying Kelvin isnt even good smh. If Alejandro plays well, im cool with letting Beachum walk, but if he plays badly, id feel pretty ticky tacky about it. The emotional scars from the Johnathan Scott days havent died out quite yet :lol:

teegre
10-18-2015, 09:16 PM
I cant foresee the most underrated LT in the league being ok with moving to LG. He'll get paid a lot less and he's found his home at LT.

Knee injury hasnt necessarily done much to his pricetag since teams are always going to put a big pricetag on a good LT.

We'll see...

steelreserve
10-18-2015, 10:42 PM

Tomlin said it was a knee sprain. Who knows how severe.

I'd be surprised to see him playing next week, possibly until after the bye. Yay, another healthy dose of Cam Thomas and his dirty dick.

Mojouw
10-19-2015, 08:41 AM
I know we are all excited about the win yesterday, but this is getting seriously underplayed around these parts. This place is typically so doom and gloom. I just don't see how a player who just started playing o-line this year is going to step in and play up to the line of one of the better pass protecting LTs in the NFL. This has the potential to be a season altering injury. Compensating for an underperforming LT could alter the shape of the entire offense.

Oh and if the Steelers don't pay Beachum as a top LT - someone else gladly will. Knee injury or no knee injury.

tube517
10-19-2015, 10:15 AM
So, now, who backups Villanueva and Gilbert? Mike Adams is a question mark for a return date.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/10/mike-adams-health-status-leaves-steelers-tackle-depth-in-critical-condition/

steelreserve
10-19-2015, 10:50 AM
I know we are all excited about the win yesterday, but this is getting seriously underplayed around these parts. This place is typically so doom and gloom. I just don't see how a player who just started playing o-line this year is going to step in and play up to the line of one of the better pass protecting LTs in the NFL. This has the potential to be a season altering injury. Compensating for an underperforming LT could alter the shape of the entire offense.

I think the surprise of seeing Jones come out of nowhere overwhelmed anything else that went on yesterday, but this is definitely a big blow. I honestly would not count on Adams playing at all this year; back surgery for a lineman is a red flag that your season will be ruined, if not your career, and even if he is healthy, he hasn't even been on the practice field for almost a year. Seeing as how we're only about a third of the way through the season and we seem to have an offensive lineman hurt every game, we've got to make a move to at least give ourselves some depth. Maybe this is where all those no-reason restructured contracts can help us, and we can turn the extra $4-5 million we have into an actual player instead of just brownie points.

Oh and if the Steelers don't pay Beachum as a top LT - someone else gladly will. Knee injury or no knee injury.

Pretty much. You'd think it would make teams a little more hesitant, but ... it doesn't. After Russell Okung is either re-signed or gets the big Day One blockbuster deal, Beachum will get the label of Best Available Left Tackle On The Free Agent Market, which is the death knell for our chances of re-signing him. He'll also be a Young Guy With Potential, putting the price even more out of our league. Don't know what we're going to do there. I wonder if that means somehow, against all odds, Mike Adams comes back on a lowball deal? I don't even want to think about it.

fansince'76
10-19-2015, 11:09 AM
I know we are all excited about the win yesterday, but this is getting seriously underplayed around these parts. This place is typically so doom and gloom. I just don't see how a player who just started playing o-line this year is going to step in and play up to the line of one of the better pass protecting LTs in the NFL.

This is hopefully where having a guy like Munchak as opposed to a shlub like Bicknell pays dividends and (hopefully greatly) reduces the impact. He's turned Gilbert into a fairly good lineman, after all, and he looked pretty hopeless about 2 years ago. In fact, the entire OL's performance has improved since he was hired, and markedly so. I don't think that was a coincidence.

Mojouw
10-19-2015, 11:24 AM
I think the surprise of seeing Jones come out of nowhere overwhelmed anything else that went on yesterday, but this is definitely a big blow. I honestly would not count on Adams playing at all this year; back surgery for a lineman is a red flag that your season will be ruined, if not your career, and even if he is healthy, he hasn't even been on the practice field for almost a year. Seeing as how we're only about a third of the way through the season and we seem to have an offensive lineman hurt every game, we've got to make a move to at least give ourselves some depth. Maybe this is where all those no-reason restructured contracts can help us, and we can turn the extra $4-5 million we have into an actual player instead of just brownie points.

Pretty much. You'd think it would make teams a little more hesitant, but ... it doesn't. After Russell Okung is either re-signed or gets the big Day One blockbuster deal, Beachum will get the label of Best Available Left Tackle On The Free Agent Market, which is the death knell for our chances of re-signing him. He'll also be a Young Guy With Potential, putting the price even more out of our league. Don't know what we're going to do there. I wonder if that means somehow, against all odds, Mike Adams comes back on a lowball deal? I don't even want to think about it.

Excellent points. Wonder if the front office gets really bold and really creative and resigns Beachum now-ish. I know that violates the in season negotiation thing, but sell it as a restructure w/ and extension or some nonsense like that. Beachum might be dodgy next season as he recovers from the ACL, but for the next 4 after that he ought to be able to hold down the LT spot. Not like the Steelers are going to get a chance to get anyone better in that window anyways.

- - - Updated - - -

This is hopefully where having a guy like Munchak as opposed to a shlub like Bicknell pays dividends and (hopefully greatly) reduces the impact. He's turned Gilbert into a fairly good lineman, after all, and he looked pretty hopeless about 2 years ago. In fact, the entire OL's performance has improved since he was hired, and markedly so. I don't think that was a coincidence.

I guess next week against Justin Houston and company will be a pretty decent litmus test for Villenueva and Munchak.

Hate to be a Debbie Downer, but truly concerned. How much was Foster already "cheating" inside to help Wallace - who gets frequently overwhelmed? How much can Foster then help Villenueva to the outside?

If they get through the KC and Cincy game w/out the oline looking like the bad old days - I think we all need to chill the helll out on the "Steelers coaching staff is terrible" stuff for at least 3 days :)

86WARD
10-19-2015, 11:28 AM
Tomlin is still terrible...lol

;)

tube517
10-19-2015, 11:34 AM
Tomlin is still terrible...lol

;)

At least you are consistent w/your hatred of cool shades :heh:

Steelman
10-19-2015, 11:36 AM
Excellent points. Wonder if the front office gets really bold and really creative and resigns Beachum now-ish. I know that violates the in season negotiation thing, but sell it as a restructure w/ and extension or some nonsense like that. Beachum might be dodgy next season as he recovers from the ACL, but for the next 4 after that he ought to be able to hold down the LT spot. Not like the Steelers are going to get a chance to get anyone better in that window anyways.

Interesting thought, though I think Colbert would probably err on the side of "wait and see." However, you're right. Provided his ACL heals up, there's no way we'd find anyone else for that asking price. If anything, the injury may allow us to lock him up at a lower price than whatever he would have gotten in FA next year. Aren't we already paying Marcus Gilbert a crapload of money to play RT? No sense in letting Beachum walk for less money.

I think we all need to chill the helll out on the "Steelers coaching staff is terrible" stuff for at least 3 days :)

NAY! This is our God-given and Constitutional right! :chuckle:

steelreserve
10-19-2015, 11:53 AM

That would probably be the only shot at avoiding the free-agent bidding war. I know they've got their no-negotiating-during-the-season policy (which I hate), but I can't see any reason why it would apply to players on the IR list. If we can get him at a semi-reasonable price, that's a chance I'd be willing to take.

An ACL injury for a lineman I wouldn't worry about as much in the long term; it's not a position that relies on speed and quick cutbacks. Achilles injuries seem to be the career-killer for them.

Shoes
10-19-2015, 02:09 PM

Capiche?

I think he will, while some players will give a general *I've got to get better* Big AL gets down to the details and if he stays healthy he'll be a good one...

Alejandro Villanuevahttp://www.steelers.com/assets/nflimg/icon-article-link.gif (http://www.steelers.com/team/roster/alejandro-villanueva/400af53b-4c9c-4fea-a1cc-0fe89b1f325a/) took over on the Steelers’ first possession of the second quarter and finished the game, but not in a manner that satisfied his expectations.

“I gotta get lower, I gotta get faster, I gotta get sharper,” Villanueva said “I can play a lot better. My coaches expect me to play a lot better. That’s what I hope to do.”

Villanueva has been dressing as the “swing” tackle, a reserve deemed capable of playing on either the left or right side.

He interpreted his insertion into the game at left tackle as a positive sign. The Steelers opted not to move right tackle Marcus Gilberthttp://www.steelers.com/assets/nflimg/icon-article-link.gif (http://www.steelers.com/team/roster/marcus-gilbert/c8a0688d-c9d4-49c0-9e91-3ea1e40ddde1/), a much more experienced player, to the left side and play Villanueva at right tackle.

“That gives me the idea that they trust me, to put the ball in my hand,” Villanueva said. “It’s up to me to go out there and perform. I gotta get with ‘Munch’ (offensive line coach Mike Munchak) and get in the study room and continue to perfect my skills so I can play up to the level they expect me to play.”

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Final-thoughts-Whatever-it-takes/7ddf370e-7b86-4686-a54f-7b9a217fcd57

tube517
10-19-2015, 02:51 PM

Psycho Ward 86
10-19-2015, 03:52 PM
We'll see...

actually now that i think about it, i agree with your assessment. because of the time of the injury, Kelvin might start on PUP and who knows if he'll have sea legs once he's back on the field. this could end up saving us some serious money in the long run

ALLD
10-19-2015, 03:56 PM
actually now that i think about it, i agree with your assessment. because of the time of the injury, Kelvin might start on PUP and who knows if he'll have sea legs once he's back on the field. this could end up saving us some serious money in the long run

I was thinking the same thing. If he wanted too much $ then this is an easy way to part on good terms. Beechum was good, but he wasn't great. We can't afford great anyway and if he was trying to squeeze too much, then let him figure out what to do next.

steelreserve
10-19-2015, 04:11 PM
He interpreted his insertion into the game at left tackle as a positive sign. The Steelers opted not to move right tackle Marcus Gilbert, a much more experienced player, to the left side and play Villanueva at right tackle.

Worth mentioning that at the time Beachum got hurt, we were using a left-handed quarterback, which essentially means RT is LT and LT is RT. He did pretty well when that went back to the normal way with Jones in there, though.