PDA

View Full Version : Landry Jones!!!!!

polamalubeast
10-18-2015, 03:14 PM
WOW!!!!

This is crazy!

Edman
10-18-2015, 03:14 PM
Vick officially demoted to third string.

fansince'76
10-18-2015, 03:15 PM
If Ben still can't go next week and Vick gets the start, I officially give up on Tomlin.

st33lersguy
10-18-2015, 03:17 PM
WOW! He looked good against one of the best secondaries in the NFL

Shoes
I'll happily eat both my shoes for all the grief I've given Jones.

katmandu
Jones has poise in the pocket. Very good arm as well. Don't underestimate this kid.

hawaiiansteeler
10-18-2015, 03:20 PM
Landry Jones, greatest Pittsburgh Steelers QB ever! :tt02:

1) Landry Jones
2) Ben Roethlisberger
3) Terry Bradshaw

SteelerFanInStl
10-18-2015, 03:20 PM
If Ben still can't go next week and Vick gets the start, I officially give up on Tomlin.
If Vick gets the start, I refuse to watch the game. You simply can't be that stupid as an NFL coach.

Boykin needs to be in the starting lineup also with Blake hitting the bench.

Craic
10-18-2015, 03:22 PM
And this, ladies and gentlemen, is why coaches coach, players play, and fans sit and watch without any input in team decisions. Looks like our coaches knew what they were doing, no?

zoneblitzerII
10-18-2015, 03:22 PM
If Vick gets the start, I refuse to watch the game. You simply can't be that stupid as an NFL coach.

Bouton needs to be in the starting lineup also with Blake hitting the bench.

oh, he's that stupid. Never under estimate the stupidity of Mikey T.

ALLD
10-18-2015, 03:24 PM
Still waiting on Archer to run one back past the 30 yard line.

salamander
10-18-2015, 03:25 PM
Gotta give credit where credit's due. Who woulda thunk?

st33lersguy
10-18-2015, 03:26 PM
He played like a completely different QB

Drazo85
10-18-2015, 03:27 PM
Still waiting on Archer to run one back past the 30 yard line.
He did that in third quarter today.

katmandu
10-18-2015, 03:29 PM

1) Landry Jones
2) Ben Roethlisberger
3) Terry BradshawNow don't get carried away now ! LOL !

Steeldude
10-18-2015, 03:38 PM
Not to toot my own horn, but this is why I didn't want Landry cut. I am referring to him being a decent backup for BR. Fans judged Jones on some pre-season games, but embraced Vick after a long career of outright pathetic QB play. Back to Jones, I don't expect that level of play next week, but he gives the Steelers so much more than Vick.

Vick should have never been considered as an option. Tomlin literally cannot judge talent. If not for injuries the Steelers wouldn't have won that game.

Will Boykin remain on the bench all year? With Tomlin as the coach it is a big yes. After all, Blake is such an awesome specimen out there.

zoneblitzerII
10-18-2015, 03:44 PM
Not to toot my own horn, but this is why I didn't want Landry cut. I am referring to him being a decent backup for BR. Fans judged Jones on some pre-season games, but embraced Vick after a long career of outright pathetic QB play. Back to Jones, I don't expect that level of play next week, but he gives the Steelers so much more than Vick.

Vick should have never been considered as an option. Tomlin literally cannot judge talent. If not for injuries the Steelers wouldn't have won that game.

Will Boykin remain on the bench all year? With Tomlin as the coach it is a big yes. After all, Blake is such an awesome specimen out there.

the biggest thing about Landry is that he can see. Give him the simple, rudimentary routes to throw on and he can hit them. Vick, on the other hand, simply can't do that unless you cut the field in half for him.

tube517
10-18-2015, 03:45 PM

1) Landry Jones
2) Ben Roethlisberger
3) Terry Bradshaw

He will be in the HOF class with Jon Kuhn. :chuckle:

lipps83
10-18-2015, 03:46 PM
the biggest thing about Landry is that he can see. Give him the simple, rudimentary routes to throw on and he can hit them. Vick, on the other hand, simply can't do that unless you cut the field in half for him.

Huh?

Vick couldn't do it if he handed a receiver the ball. Fumbles..... all day long.

Steelman
10-18-2015, 03:49 PM
Well hopefully Landry's performance will dampen Tomlin's man-crush on Vick and force them to actually create a real game plan with a quarterback who actually knows a few things about the offense.

I'm not saying Landry can ever repeat this performance against a defense that has game-planned for him, but it sure as hell can't be worse than what Vick did today.

tube517
10-18-2015, 03:49 PM
Please. No more threads about Landry Jones, Jarvis Jones, or Jarvis Landry... :chuckle:

Rotorhead
10-18-2015, 03:50 PM
So, as I was saying in the "Vick or Landry" thread I started . . .

fansince'76
10-18-2015, 03:50 PM
Back to Jones, I don't expect that level of play next week, but he gives the Steelers so much more than Vick.

He at least gives us a threat of the pass and the opponent can't just put 9 in the box and tee off on Bell and Williams. 3-7 for 6 yards in the first half kinda says it all.

That being said, I REALLY hope Ben can go next week.

Steelman
10-18-2015, 03:51 PM

:lol:

Looks like James is calling the shots now.

86WARD
10-18-2015, 03:52 PM

Wonder if he has thoughts on Dri...

fansince'76
10-18-2015, 03:54 PM

He has every right. I'm sure the whole defense is tired of being on the field for most of the game while the offense keeps going 3-and-out.

Steeldude
10-18-2015, 03:57 PM
He at least gives us a threat of the pass and the opponent can't just put 9 in the box and tee off on Bell and Williams. 3-7 for 6 yards in the first half kinda says it all.

Yep, exactly.

How long before some fans call for the Steelers to trade for Griffin or something running QB who cannot throw? Remember the ignorant ones asking for Tebow? Haha

- - - Updated - - -

He has every right. I'm sure the whole defense is tired of being on the field for most of the game while the offense keeps going 3-and-out.

Did you see that block he put on the Cards' player after the INT in the endzone? The guy is all hustle. I wish he was still in his 20's.

Psycho Ward 86
10-18-2015, 03:57 PM

lmfao. makes it harder for tomlin to backtrack and try to put vick in there now i guess :lol:

86WARD
10-18-2015, 03:58 PM
If I could clone a player, I think it'd have to be Harrison...

Steeldude
10-18-2015, 04:01 PM
If I could clone a player, I think it'd have to be Harrison...

Could you imagine a young Harrison on the left and right side?

Craic
10-18-2015, 04:04 PM

I actually want Ben to sit next week. Of all our games coming up, the Chiefs (on paper) is the easiest, and the best chance for Jones to pull out a victory. I'd rather have Ben get healthy another week and then return against the Bungles.

fansince'76
10-18-2015, 04:10 PM
Personally, I'd prefer Ben to shake the rust off next week against the Chiefs, but we'll see.

Craic
10-18-2015, 04:12 PM
Personally, I'd prefer Ben to shake the rust off next week against the Chiefs, but we'll see.

I thought about that as well. I guess it's just a matter of how well he's feeling and how close he was to going this week.

stillers4me
10-18-2015, 04:34 PM

steelcityboyz
10-18-2015, 04:37 PM

Boykin needs to be in the starting lineup also with Blake hitting the bench.But, but but... Vick is Tomlins homie you know.. Chest Bump And I agree where the fuck is Boykin??

stillers4me
10-18-2015, 04:40 PM

stillers4me
10-18-2015, 04:46 PM
I think it's safe to say that Landry Jones did not expect to be sitting at that podium when he left his house this morning!

-RichD
10-18-2015, 05:06 PM
Kinda creepy looking dude ...Looks a little like Aaron Rodgers ...Humm.. Rodgers sat for a few years on bench..

I want Ben to be fully healthy b4 getting back on the field ....FULLY !!!

Ben has comeback off injury too early before and struggled ..

86WARD
10-18-2015, 05:10 PM
Could you imagine a young Harrison on the left and right side?

Good God that would be delicious!

86WARD
10-18-2015, 05:12 PM
Kinda creepy looking dude ...Looks a little like Aaron Rodgers ...Humm.. Rodgers sat for a few years on bench..

He does look creepy...that picture could easily find itself on a wanted poster...lol.

steel striker
10-18-2015, 05:13 PM
I'm happy for Landry what a great job he did today and, If Ben can't go next Landry better get the nod. He showed poise and, I thought people were to harsh on him the pre season playing with the third stringers.

GoSlash27
10-18-2015, 05:17 PM
Can we *please* cut Vick once Ben is back? I'd really love to watch Steeler games again!

Count Steeler
10-18-2015, 05:21 PM
Can we *please* cut Vick once Ben is back? I'd really love to watch Steeler games again!

Yeah, it might be time. Vick just does not bring much to the game. If the defense hadn't developed as quickly as it has, we would be out of the playoff picture already.

Steeldude
10-18-2015, 05:23 PM

Sounds like he has a good head on his shoulders.

GBMelBlount
10-18-2015, 05:31 PM
Landry has the ability but has lacked confidence and experience. After 3 years it looks like he may have all 3.

ALLD
10-18-2015, 05:56 PM

Let James make the roster and let BB call the plays and we should be fine. I would also like confirmation from Snoop Dog.

tube517
10-18-2015, 06:00 PM
I think it's safe to say that Landry Jones did not expect to be sitting at that podium when he left his house this morning!

Looks like Jason Lee from "My Name Is Earl"

zoneblitzerII
10-18-2015, 06:09 PM

Nah. He's just one of those young hipsters. I live in a city full of them.

86WARD
10-18-2015, 06:17 PM

I was thinking they might if he can't play next week and is still injured. No reason to have him around...they may not though just to have a third QB...

steelreserve
10-18-2015, 06:41 PM
I have no logical way of explaining what I just watched. My leading theory is that Jones got beaten up in the parking lot and a completely different person stole his uniform. I have no idea how on earth you can look so bad for so long when there is no pressure, and then all of a sudden he gets thrown into a high-stakes situation and makes it look easy. Regardless, I have never been happier to have been proved wrong.

One difference I really noticed was how drastically the playcalling changed when Jones came into the game. It's not like they immediately started doing super-complicated shit, but they immediately cut out the super-predictable bullshit. Telegraphed running play, receiver screen that goes nowhere, conservative pass that would've been short of the first down anyway. There's really no way to defend how badly Vick played, but we certainly helped set him up to fail. Doesn't matter now, because I doubt there's any way he sees more than the #3 role again all season.

I sure hope Jones is able to do as well against a defense that's had a chance to see him play. Makes you nervous, but hell, I wouldn't have expected even this much. We may have a real idiot savant on our hands. Still crossing my fingers for Ben's return, though.

Texasteel
10-18-2015, 07:07 PM
Something not mention. Bell finished with 88 yards. With the bad first half we had thats pretty good. It's no secret that a good passing game can help the running game, also a miserable passing game, -1 yard in the first half, can ruin the possibility of a good running game.

steelerdude15
10-18-2015, 07:13 PM

Vick won't be cut. Tomlin and Vick are both from Virginia so we might as well forget it.

fansince'76
10-18-2015, 07:17 PM
Something not mention. Bell finished with 88 yards. With the bad first half we had thats pretty good. It's no secret that a good passing game can help the running game, also a miserable passing game, -1 yard in the first half, can ruin the possibility of a good running game.

That's still pretty damn good against a pretty good defense that was specifically geared to stop the running game and didn't really have to respect the passing game at all for the better part of the game.

katmandu
10-18-2015, 07:27 PM

655849175041626112Good! Now go get a real haircut already!

hawaiiansteeler
10-18-2015, 07:38 PM
Good! Now go get a real haircut already!

there's a lot not to like about that mustache too...

Craic
10-18-2015, 07:42 PM
Vick won't be cut. Tomlin and Vick are both from Virginia so we might as well forget it.

Why? It's pretty clear we need three QBs. Vick's learning the playbook. At this point, I'd rather have him as the number 3 than another newby who has to start from ground zero.

GBMelBlount
10-18-2015, 08:02 PM
I thought that was David Grohl for a second....

http://twitter.com/steelers/status/655849175041626112/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

TeeTee
10-18-2015, 08:19 PM
And this, ladies and gentlemen, is why coaches coach, players play, and fans sit and watch without any input in team decisions. Looks like our coaches knew what they were doing, no?

If they were so smart, why wasn't Jones in there to begin with?

zulater
10-18-2015, 08:30 PM

Exactly! Wasn't us that went off the roster to get Vick and then promote him over Landry.

- - - Updated - - -

Why? It's pretty clear we need three QBs. Vick's learning the playbook. At this point, I'd rather have him as the number 3 than another newby who has to start from ground zero.

:sofunny: Thanks I needed a good laugh! :sofunny:

- - - Updated - - -

I have no logical way of explaining what I just watched. My leading theory is that Jones got beaten up in the parking lot and a completely different person stole his uniform. I have no idea how on earth you can look so bad for so long when there is no pressure, and then all of a sudden he gets thrown into a high-stakes situation and makes it look easy. Regardless, I have never been happier to have been proved wrong.

One difference I really noticed was how drastically the playcalling changed when Jones came into the game. It's not like they immediately started doing super-complicated shit, but they immediately cut out the super-predictable bullshit. Telegraphed running play, receiver screen that goes nowhere, conservative pass that would've been short of the first down anyway. There's really no way to defend how badly Vick played, but we certainly helped set him up to fail. Doesn't matter now, because I doubt there's any way he sees more than the #3 role again all season.

I sure hope Jones is able to do as well against a defense that's had a chance to see him play. Makes you nervous, but hell, I wouldn't have expected even this much. We may have a real idiot savant on our hands. Still crossing my fingers for Ben's return, though.

The reason the playbook changed is because Vick is incapable of running an NFL offense.

tube517
10-20-2015, 09:22 AM

steelreserve
10-20-2015, 12:15 PM
The reason the playbook changed is because Vick is incapable of running an NFL offense.

I began to understand that sometime between the moonball he chucked up there from his own end zone, and any of the awful panic throws off his back foot throughout the rest of the game. I still don't think running an offense based on predictable runs and short dump-offs behind the line was the right call (hmm, one running back, one wide receiver, and the tight end goes in motion to become a fullback - gee, I wonder what's coming), so Haley gets a zero for creativity there. But I guess designing an entire offense that puts Vick in a position to succeed is too tall of a task. Frankly, I'm just glad we don't have to deal with that this week.

Steeldude
10-20-2015, 12:58 PM
The next game will be tough for Jones. The Chiefs will try to rattle him. Hopefully Jones will surpass his play last week and help the Steelers with the a win on the road.

No matter how Jones plays he is a far better choice than Vick. At least with Jones there is the threat of a pass. The Steelers can also utilize more than 5 plays. With Vick the O-line would face 8 to 9 in the box. IMO, Vick is one of the worst free agent acquisitions in team history. Who picks up a QB who has proven, for 15 years, that he cannot throw, read a defense or handle more than a few elementary plays on offense?

The pathetic part is if Vick could play this week Tomlin would start him.

Steeldude
10-20-2015, 01:07 PM

No. If they knew what they were doing they wouldn't have re-visited the Kordell experiment. Tomlin should have pulled Vick. Vick's hamstring deserves the game ball.

zulater
10-20-2015, 01:15 PM
No. If they knew what they were doing they wouldn't have re-visited the Kordell experiment. Tomlin should have pulled Vick. Vick's hamstring deserves the game ball.

:chuckle: I could just imagine 92 calling out the game balls and awarding one to Vick's hamstring. :sofunny:

Craic
10-20-2015, 01:28 PM

Because it was almost universally understood that Landry gave us a better chance, right? Look, I'm with you in laughing at the Landry hate that rolled around here. You won't find a single post from me demanding he be kicked off the team (Did make some game assessments of him in preseason, but those were one game only and I also highlighted what he did good). But, from what Landry showed in the preseason and, my guess is, in practice, it would have been foolish for the coaches to pull Vick in foresight, thinking Landry had a better chance of winning.

teegre
10-20-2015, 02:08 PM
Because it was almost universally understood that Landry gave us a better chance, right? Look, I'm with you in laughing at the Landry hate that rolled around here. You won't find a single post from me demanding he be kicked off the team (Did make some game assessments of him in preseason, but those were one game only and I also highlighted what he did good). But, from what Landry showed in the preseason and, my guess is, in practice, it would have been foolish for the coaches to pull Vick in foresight, thinking Landry had a better chance of winning.

I remember an interview with Mike Shannahan in 1998. They asked him how he was patient enough to wait until the 5th round to draft Terrell Davis. Mike replied, "If I had known that he was that good... I would have drafted him in the first round."

teegre
10-20-2015, 02:24 PM

Mo Lewis wonders the same thing...

hawaiiansteeler
10-20-2015, 02:25 PM
so who will be the next "wasted" draft pick to step up?

teegre
10-20-2015, 02:29 PM

Interesting query... if I had to choose one "underperforming" player to become a stud, I'd have to go with Cortez Allen.

This team needs a shutdown #1 CB.

Heck, this team needs a decent CB.

zulater
10-20-2015, 02:37 PM

Dri Archer, going to take one to the house this week vs the Chiefs!:yay3::yay3::whistle::yay3:

Psycho Ward 86
10-20-2015, 02:48 PM
if dri manages to make one big play in his career here, Haley and Tomlin will probably sign him to a 5 year extension

tube517
10-20-2015, 03:00 PM
Interesting query... if I had to choose one "underperforming" player to become a stud, I'd have to go with Cortez Allen.

This team needs a shutdown #1 CB.

Heck, this team needs a decent CB to bookend the bench with Brandon Boykin on the other side.

Fixed.

Shall we make a thread about it?? :chuckle:

teegre
10-20-2015, 03:47 PM
Fixed.

Shall we make a thread about it?? :chuckle:

I was thinking that they should have a doghouse made, and put it on the sidelines during games.

tube517
10-20-2015, 03:48 PM

I was thinking that they should have a doghouse made, and put it on the sidelines during games.

I heard Lance Moore can give tips on that. :chuckle:

ALLD
10-20-2015, 04:11 PM
Jones showed nothing in the preseason, although there were a few balls that were dropped by names I cannot even remember. The guy has more weapons at his disposal than most QBs in the NFL. If he comes out and puts KC away in the first half then we will have some serious roster depth.

slippy
10-20-2015, 04:27 PM
he could earn a pile of future money, a la Matt Flynn, with a good game sunday.

polamalubeast
10-20-2015, 04:46 PM

Steeldude
10-20-2015, 04:50 PM

To anyone who watched Vick play, it should have been obvious. Vick gives you no chance of a passing game. Vick showed for 15 years that he cannot pass, read a defense or handle more than a few offensive plays. One of the other things is Vick is not a game manager. He can single handedly lose many games for a team.

I am one of the biggest haters of running QBs. I despise them. I prefer Cliff Stoudt over Vick.

hawaiiansteeler
10-20-2015, 04:54 PM
To anyone who watched Vick play, it should have been obvious. Vick gives you no chance of a passing game. Vick showed for 15 years that he cannot pass, read a defense or handle more than a few offensive plays. One of the other things is Vick is not a game manager. He can single handedly lose many games for a team.

I am one of the biggest haters of running QBs. I despise them. I prefer Cliff Stoudt over Vick.

Mike Vick threw 2 TDs to beat us last year when he played for the Jets...

zulater
10-20-2015, 05:03 PM
Listening to Tunch and Wolf on Monday and they were talking about last Friday's practice when they said the scuttlebutt was that Landry's practice was historically bad. :lol: So perhaps that explains Tomlin's reluctance to go to the bullpen.

The thing is I was praying for the exact sort of injury that happened to Vick to happen to him. ( I did the same mid 4th quarter against the Chargers) Maybe I'm an asshole, well I am, I'll admit it, but I wasn't wanting any kind of serious hurt, just a little tweak to get him the hell out of the game. And that wasn't because I had any faith in Jones. It was because watching Vick for the better part of of 3 games, a little more if you add in the Rams game, I just couldn't see how he could be worse? Vick degraded the position to below Kent Graham or Mark Malone level. I never expected Landry to look like an actual NFL player. And truthfully I have little expectations that he'll duplicate his performance against the Chiefs. But no matter how awful he is, he wont be Vick.

Here's my prediction for Landry assuming he starts and finishes the Chiefs game. 18-33- 250 yds 1td 2 int 1 fumble 4 sacks. Now that sounds bad doesn't it? But it will be good enough. Because those 250 will do enough to keep the Chiefs from stacking the box and LeVeon wins us this game by going off for 175 and 2 td's. Yeah I know the Chiefs defensive strength is their run defense. Bet Bell isn't a normal back. give him a little crease and he can break one at any time. I say he has at least 4 drive altering runs. The Steelers score 31 and win by double digits.

zulater
10-20-2015, 05:09 PM
The Jets interior defensive line won that game. Muhammad Wilkerson in particular. The Jets offense mostly sucked. But sort of like the Chargers game Vick did pull a couple big plays out of his ass and allowed the Steeelers to mostly beat themselves.

teegre
10-20-2015, 05:12 PM
I am one of the biggest haters of running QBs. I despise them.

This is totally a tangent, but what are your thoughts on Russell Wilson?

polamalubeast
10-20-2015, 05:20 PM
With the way that the defense is playing right now and the fact that the Chiefs offense is very mediocre, Landry Jones has to avoid turnovers.

Of course, Jones has to makes some play , especially in the 3rd down(what Vick was unable to do), but avoided the turnovers is the most important thing for a backup.

teegre
10-20-2015, 05:21 PM
Listening to Tunch and Wolf on Monday and they were talking about last Friday's practice when they said the scuttlebutt was that Landry's practice was historically bad. :lol: So perhaps that explains Tomlin's reluctance to go to the bullpen.

The thing is I was praying for the exact sort of injury that happened to Vick to happen to him. ( I did the same mid 4th quarter against the Chargers) Maybe I'm an asshole, well I am, I'll admit it, but I wasn't wanting any kind of serious hurt, just a little tweak to get him the hell out of the game. And that wasn't because I had any faith in Jones. It was because watching Vick for the better part of of 3 games, a little more if you add in the Rams game, I just couldn't see how he could be worse? Vick degraded the position to below Kent Graham or Mark Malone level. I never expected Landry to look like an actual NFL player. And truthfully I have little expectations that he'll duplicate his performance against the Chiefs. But no matter how awful he is, he wont be Vick.

Here's my prediction for Landry assuming he starts and finishes the Chiefs game. 18-33- 250 (tel:18-33- 250) yds 1td 2 int 1 fumble 4 sacks. Now that sounds bad doesn't it? But it will be good enough. Because those 250 will do enough to keep the Chiefs from stacking the box and LeVeon wins us this game by going off for 175 and 2 td's. Yeah I know the Chiefs defensive strength is their run defense. Bet Bell isn't a normal back. give him a little crease and he can break one at any time. I say he has at least 4 drive altering runs. The Steelers score 31 and win by double digits.

This is my favorite post of the week.

Goid job, man.

Steeldude
10-20-2015, 05:45 PM

I would never want him on the Steelers.

- - - Updated - - -

Then again which DB on the Steelers is going to stop any QB? When Gay is your best CB you have a problem. I like Gay, but I wouldn't say he is an all-star.

Tebow beat us too ; )

Kordell has thrown TD passes too.

Vick is throwing exactly like he always throws. The Steelers needed to pick up a pocket QB. At least, that's my opinion.

86WARD
10-20-2015, 06:03 PM

Maybe he's not that good.m he didn't beat out Gradkowski and the organization went outside to get Vick...judging him on 12 pass attempts isn't really fair to anyone...

86WARD
10-20-2015, 06:03 PM

Overrated.

hawaiiansteeler
10-20-2015, 06:30 PM
Listening to Tunch and Wolf on Monday and they were talking about last Friday's practice when they said the scuttlebutt was that Landry's practice was historically bad. :lol:

wow, it must have been REALLY bad then...

zulater
10-20-2015, 06:43 PM
This is my favorite post of the week.

Goid job, man.

Aw man, I thought the one where I predicted Dri would take one to the house was my Constanza walk off moment of the week post. :lol:

Seriously thanks for the positive vibes. Always appreciate them, particularly when they come from one of the better posters on the board. :drink:

Steeldude
10-20-2015, 06:51 PM
Seriously thanks for the positive vibes. Always appreciate them, particularly when they come from one of the better posters on the board. :drink:

Now what if Steeldawg gave you some props? ; )

zulater
10-20-2015, 06:54 PM
wow, it must have been REALLY bad then...

Yeah it must have been bad. :horror:

Let's hope Landry's one of those guys who plays better than they practice. I wont read too much into his pre season ineptness. Because I think a team like the Steelers must be particularly hard to look good in those games for a back up qb. Because the starters who are left on the field to play with him want to be anywhere else. They just want get off the field healthy. And then the back-ups trying to make something happen with no real game plan, well you can see where that might suck. So anyway there's no question this guy threw for a lot of yards in college. And the same Tunch and Wolf who commented on the poor practice Friday also said all through training camp that Landry was looking like a guy who was finally staring to get it. So I approach this next game with cautious optimism. Hoping we see the Landry Jones that seemed to be showing improvement throughout camp.

- - - Updated - - -

Now what if Steeldawg gave you some props? ; )

It never happened so who knows? :heh:

86WARD
10-20-2015, 07:10 PM
Here's my prediction for Landry assuming he starts and finishes the Chiefs game. 18-33- 250 yds 1td 2 int 1 fumble 4 sacks. Now that sounds bad doesn't it? But it will be good enough. Because those 250 will do enough to keep the Chiefs from stacking the box and LeVeon wins us this game by going off for 175 and 2 td's. Yeah I know the Chiefs defensive strength is their run defense. Bet Bell isn't a normal back. give him a little crease and he can break one at any time. I say he has at least 4 drive altering runs. The Steelers score 31 and win by double digits.

I could see something similar to that but I would add a TD to it. I think AB is going to have his best game since Ben left taking one of those TDs from a Landry pass. But I was thinking more in the neighborhood of 24...

teegre
10-21-2015, 01:00 AM
Aw man, I thought the one where I predicted Dri would take one to the house was my Constanza walk off moment of the week post. :lol:

Indeed... that was pretty good, as well.

Much appreciated, and the feelings are mutual.

Mojouw
10-21-2015, 10:20 AM

If we're willing to open this up a bit, I'll throw in my 2 cents. Russell Wilson is a different type of QB than Vick. Allow me to exaggerate a bit to make my point.

1. Vick is a RB who can throw the ball. He is the product of a line of QBs that stretches back to Randall Cunningham through Vick to guys like EJ Manuel, Kordell Stewart, etc. All are electrifying athletes with just jaw-dropping physical abilities, but low accuracy. Basically that is what you have with all these "running QBs" sub 60% accuracy. That just doesn't get it done in the NFL. Additionally, with almost all of them (aside from Cunningham) they never learn to go through the progressions. All of them basically cut the field in half on offense, take a quick look, and then bail on the pass and take off.

2. Wilson, Cam Newton, Steve Young, John Elway, etc. Are QBs who can run. I am not attempting to say that the first two are on the same level as the second two - but simply that they are all fully formed QBs. Wilson in particular is accurate and rarely runs/bails on a play until he has gone through his reads and attempted to make a play down the field.

3. Then there are Qbs who can "scramble". Stabler is the start of this lineage in my mind - others can help correct me on this perhaps. Favre, Culpepper (before he got terrible), Roethlisberger, Luck, Rodgers, etc. These are guys that can move in the pocket, tuck it and run a bit, and/or just extend plays. But it is all with the goal of getting the ball downfield. Also they are accurate while on the move.

4. Finally, there are pocket QBs. These range from guys who can move in the pocket and slip the pressure (Marino, Montana) to guys who are statues back there and you can really tee off on them (Bledsoe, Flacco).

For my money, I want a QB from category 2 or 3.

teegre
10-21-2015, 02:06 PM
If we're willing to open this up a bit, I'll throw in my 2 cents. Russell Wilson is a different type of QB than Vick. Allow me to exaggerate a bit to make my point.

1. Vick is a RB who can throw the ball. He is the product of a line of QBs that stretches back to Randall Cunningham through Vick to guys like EJ Manuel, Kordell Stewart, etc. All are electrifying athletes with just jaw-dropping physical abilities, but low accuracy. Basically that is what you have with all these "running QBs" sub 60% accuracy. That just doesn't get it done in the NFL. Additionally, with almost all of them (aside from Cunningham) they never learn to go through the progressions. All of them basically cut the field in half on offense, take a quick look, and then bail on the pass and take off.

2. Wilson, Cam Newton, Steve Young, John Elway, etc. Are QBs who can run. I am not attempting to say that the first two are on the same level as the second two - but simply that they are all fully formed QBs. Wilson in particular is accurate and rarely runs/bails on a play until he has gone through his reads and attempted to make a play down the field.

3. Then there are Qbs who can "scramble". Stabler is the start of this lineage in my mind - others can help correct me on this perhaps. Favre, Culpepper (before he got terrible), Roethlisberger, Luck, Rodgers, etc. These are guys that can move in the pocket, tuck it and run a bit, and/or just extend plays. But it is all with the goal of getting the ball downfield. Also they are accurate while on the move.

4. Finally, there are pocket QBs. These range from guys who can move in the pocket and slip the pressure (Marino, Montana) to guys who are statues back there and you can really tee off on them (Bledsoe, Flacco).

I agree with this 100%. And, YOU are always welcome to jump into the frey; I enjoy your posts/replies.

I was trying to ascertain Steelsude's opinion of Wilson... to see to what degree Steeldude considers a running QB. It appears that he has two tiers:
1&2 combined into "running" QBs
3&4 combined into QBs he'd want

That's his opinion... I was just interested where he'd draw the line.

Craic
10-21-2015, 03:16 PM

I think this breakdown does a great job. I'd split it up a tad differently, however, adding one more category. (3) Scrambling QBs. Stabler and Culpepper and others get their own category. They run the ball down the field when the absolutely must, but they prefer the pocket. (4) Pocket Movement QBs. Roethlisberger, Marino, Montana, etc. These are the QBs that sit in the pocket and want to be there. If they must move, they'll move around in the pocket first, and only when they must, will they break out of it, but mainly to buy time to throw (which separates them from scrambling QBs who, when forced to break the pocket, will turn it upfield more times than not). And then, (5), the statue QBs.

Mojouw
10-21-2015, 03:21 PM
I think this breakdown does a great job. I'd split it up a tad differently, however, adding one more category. (3) Scrambling QBs. Stabler and Culpepper and others get their own category. They run the ball down the field when the absolutely must, but they prefer the pocket. (4) Pocket Movement QBs. Roethlisberger, Marino, Montana, etc. These are the QBs that sit in the pocket and want to be there. If they must move, they'll move around in the pocket first, and only when they must, will they break out of it, but mainly to buy time to throw (which separates them from scrambling QBs who, when forced to break the pocket, will turn it upfield more times than not). And then, (5), the statue QBs.

Yeah. That actually makes a ton of sense.

86WARD
10-21-2015, 05:16 PM

Good Post! Agree with your "wants".

ALLD
10-21-2015, 05:49 PM
You forgot about Tarkenton. He was running for his life in SB IX.

tube517
10-21-2015, 06:12 PM
You forgot about Tarkenton. He was running for his life in SB IX.

He was a definite scrambler.