PDA

View Full Version : Steelers: Where would they be with Bruce Arians?

Still Curtain
10-16-2015, 01:50 PM
The Pittsburgh Steelers front office is generally one of the sharpest in the NFL, which is why the team is competitive year after year. Nobody’s perfect, though. One of the bigger mistakes the Steerls may have made over the last several years was letting then offensive coordinator Bruce Arians go at the end of the […]
Steelers: Where would they be with Bruce Arians? (http://stillcurtain.com/2015/10/16/steelers-where-would-they-be-with-bruce-arians/) - Still Curtain (http://stillcurtain.com) - Still Curtain - A Pittsburgh Steelers Fan Site - News, Blogs, Opinion and more. (http://stillcurtain.com)

More... (http://stillcurtain.com/2015/10/16/steelers-where-would-they-be-with-bruce-arians/)

Count Steeler
10-16-2015, 02:25 PM
Sunday offers a chance for Pittsburgh to see what they’re missing out on first hand, and I have a feeling Kevin Colbert and company might wake up the next day feeling at least a little bit of regret.

Not in the least. Arians time was up in Pittsburgh. A new team(s), and a new perspective has done him a world of good. I hope we can hook up again with him in the SB, when we have a healthier team, or at least Ben at QB.

ALLD
10-16-2015, 02:49 PM
Arians was getting too complacent and predictable just like the DC. They were more comfortable than hungry. It all worked out for the best, but I believe BB is the best OC among BA, TH.

Edman
10-16-2015, 03:34 PM
Well, Le'Veon Bell wouldn't be here and the Offense would still be just as subpar as ever. Even more subpar with Ben's increasing age and wear and tear.

Arians' time was up in Pittsburgh. Sunday's outcome doesn't change a damn thing. The Cardinals can win in a blowout and it won't change anything. Arians needed to go, I'm not sorry he's gone, and he can stay in Arizona right where he is. It was a move that worked for both parties. Arians goes on to be a successful HC and the Steelers aren't cringing at Ben eating turf every year and mediocre offense.

In fact, I would go so far to say we held onto Lebeau for too long as well. Both of them needed to go after the Denver Debacle.

Complacency was setting in for that Steelers team in 2011 and changes needed to be made. Three SB appearances, Two Rings for most of that team. Yeah, it was time to make a move.

In fact, I’m willing to bet if Bruce Arians was still the OC they would go down in the record books as one of the most prolific offenses the NFL has ever seen.

It wasn't lack of production that got Arians Ousted, it was the complete and total lack of care Arians showed for the Steelers Offense and especially his Quarterback. Ben was the most sacked QB in the league, and more often than not, had to make things happen on his own to get the offense moving. Airhead couldn't draw up an offensive gameplan, he couldn't adjust.

Arians wanted to be the smartest man in the room and never designed an offense to maximize his players strengths and talents, so it was just five years watching the offense sputter while the Defense saved the day. Denver was the last straw. The Steelers were held to 23 points by an 8-8 Broncos team and Ben was sacked five times. The same Denver team got 45 hung on them in New England the following week.

hawaiiansteeler
10-16-2015, 04:14 PM
Roosevelt Nix would be unemployed...

http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/9c/9c582ec55e72cc95c2fb8f06490679f9c14383ec4ace712369 12e53621460f79.jpg

tube517
10-16-2015, 04:23 PM
We'd have Steelers Kangol hats if he was still here......

86WARD
10-16-2015, 04:40 PM
Let's think positive...Archer wouldn't be here...

stillers4me
10-16-2015, 04:59 PM
Ben would be a vegetable.

st33lersguy
10-16-2015, 07:17 PM
His time as head coach hasn't caused me to forget how bad of a play-caller he was in Pittsburgh

Steelermania
10-16-2015, 07:39 PM
Five wide!!!!

st33lersguy
10-16-2015, 07:42 PM
Five wide!!!!

Imagine Arians doing that today 3 straight times inside the 5 while putting Bell on the sidelines. It would happen

hawaiiansteeler
10-16-2015, 07:42 PM
Five wide!!!!

http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/d1/d1d296977e2d994180e6e3a0ccecd15bc9f33450f4c3cc7a31 28656e7127cf31.jpg

86WARD
10-16-2015, 08:37 PM
Run, run, bubble screen, punt.

j-d-s
10-16-2015, 09:31 PM
Landry Jones would be playing.

ETL
10-16-2015, 11:28 PM
It was Arians time to go. I'm glad he's not here. He inherited a strong defense in Arizona. He will be fired in 3 years

Mach1
10-17-2015, 04:16 AM
Lets trick them with another bubble screen.

steel striker
10-17-2015, 06:17 AM
I don't miss all those bubble screens but, you have to give Bruce some props for doing a nice coachig job for the cards.

86WARD
10-17-2015, 06:49 AM
Who is the slowest receiver on the team? Bubble screen to him...

Count Steeler
10-17-2015, 06:50 AM
Let's not forget the O Line he left in Indy as well. Too lazy to check, but Luck was one of the most sacked QBs when he was there.

86WARD
10-17-2015, 07:32 AM
That O-Lines nothing to rave about at the moment either...lol.m Arizona's seems to be okay though...so maybe he hasn't gotten to put his touch on that...yet...

stillers4me
10-17-2015, 07:47 AM
That O-Lines nothing to rave about at the moment either...lol.m Arizona's seems to be okay though...so maybe he hasn't gotten to put his touch on that...yet...

How many QB's has he crippled so far????

tube517
10-17-2015, 10:11 AM

He pretty much ignores O-line development. Give it time, their o-line will be virtually ignored and decimated by 2016

86WARD
10-17-2015, 01:58 PM
How many QB's has he crippled so far????
That's a good question...Ben has served his time. Carson has served his...

Craic
10-17-2015, 11:26 PM
That's a good question...Ben has served his time. Carson has served his...

Not really. Bruce Arians has his faults, but dealing with QBs is not one of them:

Peyton Manning
Kelly Holcomb (a second string know-nothing QB Arians coached up to almost beat the Steelers in 2002).
Ben Roethlisberger
Andrew Luck
Carson

That's a very good list.

As for the O line, well, blaming Arians for the O line is like blaming the dryer when the washer breaks. The O line problems fall directly on Whisenhunt and Grimm, who had an aging line and nothing but hacks as 2nd stringers to replace them.

So, to answer the question, where would we be? My guess is, pretty much the same place we are now. Maybe a little less, maybe a little more. After all, it was Arians that made the team begin to turn the reigns over to Ben and let him call his own plays. Seems that's working out really well, now.

86WARD
10-18-2015, 05:17 AM
Not really. Bruce Arians has his faults, but dealing with QBs is not one of them:

Peyton Manning
Kelly Holcomb (a second string know-nothing QB Arians coached up to almost beat the Steelers in 2002).
Ben Roethlisberger
Andrew Luck
Carson

That's a very good list.

As for the O line, well, blaming Arians for the O line is like blaming the dryer when the washer breaks. The O line problems fall directly on Whisenhunt and Grimm, who had an aging line and nothing but hacks as 2nd stringers to replace them.

So, to answer the question, where would we be? My guess is, pretty much the same place we are now. Maybe a little less, maybe a little more. After all, it was Arians that made the team begin to turn the reigns over to Ben and let him call his own plays. Seems that's working out really well, now.

Protecting his QBs was the question I Was referring to...

Ben got slaughtered. Carson got beat up. Tim Couch got his leg broken.

Edman
10-18-2015, 03:23 PM
Bruce Arians' Revenge Against the Steelers...

13 Points.

The dude may be a good HC in Arizona, but he was let go for a reason. He sucks.

st33lersguy
10-18-2015, 03:25 PM
Considering Haley has done better with Roethlisberger as QB, I don't miss Arians at all

Count Steeler
10-18-2015, 05:06 PM
If we still had Arians, Jones would be our full time QB, because Ben would have been killed the last 3 years.

86WARD
10-18-2015, 05:10 PM
If we still had Arians, Jones would be our full time QB, because Ben would have been killed the last 3 years.

Good,point...

Craic
10-19-2015, 07:21 PM
Forced turnovers > yards against.

In the last few seasons this seems to have escaped LeBeau much to the team's detriment. While we didn't get the sacks yesterday we kept Carson Palmer uncomfortable. Enough so that his head was on a swivel all day. Also having the safeties help the corners with coverage is also making a difference. So far Butler is getting the job done. I would say LeBeau's leaving has very much in fact made this team better.

I loved LeBeau. But he became inflexible. Times change. Rules change. You cant stay married to a system that no longer works. You have to adjust to available talent and times.

Wrong thread? :chuckle: