PDA

View Full Version : Rookie LB Bud Dupree making immediate impact for Steelers

hawaiiansteeler
10-16-2015, 12:01 AM
Rookie linebacker Bud Dupree making immediate impact for Steelers

By Andrew.Kipp on Oct 15, 2015

https://cdn2.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/kQ3dDpktf7jwtCVf7So_jeiz6Dg=/0x168:3456x2472/500x333/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/47422816/usa-today-8775695.0.jpg

Steelers rookie first-round pick Bud Dupree is off to a hot start. The outside linebacker has already registered three sacks through his first five NFL games.

The Pittsburgh Steelers used the 22nd overall pick in the 2015 NFL Draft to select outside linebacker Bud Dupree from the University of Kentucky. The rookie first rounder has impressed, registering three sacks through his first five NFL games.

Dupree played four years at Kentucky, where he registered 36 tackles for loss and 23.5 career sacks, including 7.5 sacks in his senior season. At 6' 4", 270 lbs., Dupree has tremendous size, but he's also a freakish athlete. The 22-year-old stole the show at the NFL Combine in February, where he posted a ridiculous 42-inch vertical leap, 138-inch broad jump, and a 4.56 40-yard dash.

Dupree's college production, along with his size, athleticism and explosiveness, made him an attractive option for General Manager Kevin Colbert and Head Coach Mike Tomlin. Given the unexpected retirement of former outside linebacker Jason Worilds following the 2014 season, selecting Dupree would also allow Colbert and Tomlin to fill a position of need.

As luck would have it, Dupree, considered a top-10 talent by many scouts, fell to No. 22 on draft night, and Pittsburgh wasted no time snatching him up.

In former Steelers defensive coordinator Dick Lebeau's complex zone-blitz scheme, rookies rarely made an immediate impact, and usually went through a red shirt year or two before seeing significant snaps. This was often a point of contention for Steelers fans, who watched rookies on other defenses making contributions for their respective teams.

It begged the question, given all of the roster turnover in recent years, why Pittsburgh refused to simplify its defense.

Enter Keith Butler, the long time Steelers linebackers coach, who was promoted to defensive coordinator this past offseason. In Butler's defense, Dupree, who many pundits and draft scouts thought would be a long-term project, is already averaging 36.2 defensive snaps per game through the first five weeks of his rookie season.

to read rest of article:

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/nfl-pittsburgh-steelers-news/2015/10/15/9528973/bud-dupree-flashes-athleticism-and-quick-first-step

tube517
10-16-2015, 07:48 AM
I thought he was "useless" for this season???

Iron Steeler
10-16-2015, 07:58 AM
Hes looked good!

fansince'76
10-16-2015, 08:08 AM
I thought he was "useless" for this season???

Yeah, I had forgotten about that proclamation.

Dupree looks awful. There is no way he is gonna produce a damn thing this season. If he wasn't a first rounder, he'd be cut.

:rolleyes:

st33lersguy
10-16-2015, 09:49 AM
He's looked solid thus far. Can't wait to see him continue to improve

teegre
10-16-2015, 10:43 AM
I like how he has "splash play" awareness. He's always looking for the strip. Reminds me of Greg Lloyd in that sense.

For example:
On his sack of Rivers, Dupree wrapped him up with his left arm and used his right arm to try to strip the ball.

steelreserve
10-16-2015, 10:48 AM
In former Steelers defensive coordinator Dick Lebeau's complex zone-blitz scheme, rookies rarely made an immediate impact, and usually went through a red shirt year or two before seeing significant snaps. This was often a point of contention for Steelers fans, who watched rookies on other defenses making contributions for their respective teams.

I hate when people repeat that line of bullshit. Why didn't any of the free agents come in and struggle, or sit on the bench for a year or two? Why didn't the defense suck in 2004 and 2005, when they were learning LeBeau's system for the first time? Oh, that's right, because his system actually wasn't any harder to learn than any other defense.

The rookies didn't play because the coach didn't like playing rookies, that's all. Veterans wouldn't put up with that shit. And neither would the front office, given how much money they were getting paid. Fortunately, it usually worked because there were good players in front of the rookies. Until recently.

Back on topic: It's great to see Dupree in there contributing. Besides the sack numbers - which we've all seen you can get about 8 a season of even if you suck, simply by being in the right place at the right time - there are a lot of plays where I remember him making a difference. THAT'S what Jones should've looked like his first two years.

Steelman
10-16-2015, 11:21 AM
The main thing I've noticed about Dupree, is he's always mixed in the play happening or very close to being involved. Similar to how we always see Tuitt and Heyward hustling around the field and getting to where the ball is. Sack numbers are nice but does the guy contribute on a consistent snap-by-snap level? I've seen that from Dupree in the way he's getting up and down the field. He doesn't always look like he's knows what he's doing but he's following the ball and getting involved. I had reservations on how soon he could ever be a contributor in this defense but he has pleasantly surprised me with how he's looked in only 5 games.

fansince'76
10-16-2015, 11:56 AM
Back on topic: It's great to see Dupree in there contributing. Besides the sack numbers - which we've all seen you can get about 8 a season of even if you suck, simply by being in the right place at the right time..."Dong" sacks! :chuckle: