PDA

View Full Version : I haven't really heard anyone comment on this elephant in the room.

TeeTee
10-14-2015, 04:42 PM
So, we are coming down the stretch, do or die vs. SD. The bullets are flying. The much-needed win hangs in the balance.

We have a vet QB who has struggled all night.

But it's that crucial moment. This is where we either lose or win. No margin for error at all.

So, who calls the plays and coaches up our struggling QB?

Tomlin? No, the OC, Haley?

Neither. Ben not only called the plays but actually coached Vick through it.

You don't think that might rub some feathers/egos the wong way? I can't imagine it wouldn't. Vick made it known, loud and clear, that it was Ben who called the shots down the stretch.

Todd won't have any problem with that?

Count Steeler
10-14-2015, 04:55 PM
Todd is a good architect, Ben is the engineer that makes sure the structure is sound, and usually the tradesman as well. Ben works with the players a lot more than Haley. And Ben is a damn good QB and leader.

To quote RA Dickie after game 4 in the Blue Jays/Rangers series, "you can do great things when no one cares who gets the credit."

StillCurtains
10-14-2015, 05:23 PM
So, we are coming down the stretch, do or die vs. SD. The bullets are flying. The much-needed win hangs in the balance.

We have a vet QB who has struggled all night.

But it's that crucial moment. This is where we either lose or win. No margin for error at all.

So, who calls the plays and coaches up our struggling QB?

Tomlin? No, the OC, Haley?

Neither. Ben not only called the plays but actually coached Vick through it.

You don't think that might rub some feathers/egos the wong way? I can't imagine it wouldn't. Vick made it known, loud and clear, that it was Ben who called the shots down the stretch.

Todd won't have any problem with that?

Yeah that's a pretty nice size elephant! It's a bit disturbing and makes you wonder about some of the calls that are made. OC Ben seems to be a talent evaluator knowing what plays to call to showcase a players strength.

Might Ben be able to draw some plays up to Haley to make Archer effective? Hmmmmm!

TeeTee
10-14-2015, 05:26 PM
Yeah that's a pretty nice size elephant! It's a bit disturbing and makes you wonder about some of the calls that are made. OC Ben seems to be a talent evaluator knowing what plays to call to showcase a players strength.

Might Ben be able to draw some plays up to Haley to make Archer effective? Hmmmmm!

Honestly, all signs point to Ben calling the plays when we go on an offensive rampage. I think he has a feel for the plays and players that Todd never will.

StillCurtains
10-14-2015, 05:30 PM
Honestly, all signs point to Ben calling the plays when we go on an offensive rampage. I think he has a feel for the plays and players that Todd never will.

I think so too man. I don't want to rush him back, but MAN we need him back on the field. We would be killing it with Ben right now!

SteelerFanInStl
10-14-2015, 05:33 PM
Well apparently Todd was too stupid to realize that we needed to get Vick out of the pocket so that he could make plays. Fortunately Ben realized that and spoke up.

TeeTee
10-14-2015, 05:52 PM
Well apparently Todd was too stupid to realize that we needed to get Vick out of the pocket so that he could make plays. Fortunately Ben realized that and spoke up.

You want to know the secret to Ben's success directing Vick? It's real rocket science. He simply asked Vick what he was comfortable running and then listened to him. Imagine that. Todd is too high and mighty to actually listen to players; he wants to mandate everything to them. Feeds his ego that way.

BnG_Hevn
10-14-2015, 06:01 PM
As much as I hate the Patriots, Belichek let's the players dictate what is done by their skills / talents. He doesn't ask anyone to do what they can't do, but expects them to do what they CAN do.

I just puked in my throat.

Psycho Ward 86
10-14-2015, 06:08 PM
what are you talking about. people have been discussing this as soon as mike vick mentioned it

86WARD
10-14-2015, 06:11 PM
I think a lot of people have commented on this. Mi know I did during the game and afterwards. Tomlin is all about putting the players in a position to succeed yet he hasn't done that with Vick at all. He's actually put him in more positions to fail than anything. The game plan with Vick should include zero timing routes. He can't handle the timing or the throws...

TeeTee
10-14-2015, 06:13 PM
what are you talking about. people have been discussing this as soon as mike vick mentioned it

I didn't see any posts on it, but I don't read ever single post made so I guess I missed it.

TeeTee
10-14-2015, 06:22 PM
I think a lot of people have commented on this. Mi know I did during the game and afterwards. Tomlin is all about putting the players in a position to succeed yet he hasn't done that with Vick at all. He's actually put him in more positions to fail than anything. The game plan with Vick should include zero timing routes. He can't handle the timing or the throws...

The plan should really go like this: heavy dose of hand offs to Bell and Williams, roll outs where sometimes he hands ball off in a reverse, sometimes he keeps and runs and sometimes he passes to the side of field he is rolling. End of story. That should cover every play. Never have him drop back and throw a timing pattern, he simply can't do that. Why don't the coaches realize that? That drives me insane.

steelreserve
10-14-2015, 06:25 PM
The coaches have defaulted to a "normal-backup-QB" safe mode with Vick, which is to say playing super conservative and playing not to lose. Which is exactly what you can't do with Vick, because it makes him ineffective.

If they would have some balls and get away from the run-run-dumpoff offense, they could play to Vick's strengths and actually score some points. Maybe they were trying to be extra-cautious these past couple weeks because they knew if he got hurt, Landry Jones was the starting QB. But if Ben is even borderline to play as an alternative, perhaps they'll be less afraid to turn Vick loose. That's what I'm hoping, because the alternative is simply that they're stupid.