PDA

View Full Version : Jones or Vick?

Rotorhead
10-14-2015, 11:34 AM
If you had the choice, would you start Jones or Vick this week?

I am leaning on giving Jones the go ahead, not that he is great or anything, but all we need is efficient to be able to connect on some passing plays to keep the def honest. I think Jones could do that for sure, as well as get AB back involved in the offense.

On the other hand, if Vick has found some confidence after that last drive maybe he is the best choice. That last drive won us that game so maybe he will play better?

I know the team will go with Vick, so this is just a hypothetical topic.

Steeldude
10-14-2015, 12:25 PM
Keep Vick on a short leash and give Jones more reps in practice.

TeeTee
10-14-2015, 12:54 PM
Tomlin worships Vick. And now that he pulled a win off, he's gonna give him a hell of a long leash. Bet on it.

Mach1
10-14-2015, 01:24 PM
Sadly it's not going to matter.

st33lersguy
10-14-2015, 01:44 PM
Landry Jones hasn't looked like an NFL QB in preseason playing against 3rd stringers/practice squad players/people who got cut. And we are going to put Jones in as a 1st time starting QB against a top tier NFL defense in the Cardinals?!?!? Vick easily

steelreserve
10-14-2015, 01:45 PM
Starting Landry Jones. Voluntarily. In an actual regular-season game that counts in the standings. What planet made entirely of crack cocaine did you just come back from?

No. Just absolutely no way. Don't let Jones anywhere near the field. Don't even let him touch the backup game balls, in case he spills incompetence on them. If Ben is even considering playing, I would start Vick and make Ben the primary backup, and don't even dress Jones.

Vick may have had his struggles, but he's won one game for us and we should have won the other. He gives us a chance to win. Jones gives us no chance. We'll be lucky to score 3 points with him on the field. Arizona is capable of scoring a lot of points, and probably will get 24-30 against our defense. Shitty as it sounds, we need the offense to try and grind out that many points itself if we want to win. We've actually gotten pretty close to that with Vick in the past two games, so we've got a fighting chance. I have no clue how anyone could think it's a good idea to take a QB who's looked shaky but kept us in the game, and replace him with a QB who's completely in over his head.

86WARD
10-14-2015, 01:52 PM
Still go with Vick.

Rotorhead
10-14-2015, 02:15 PM
Well it was a hypothetical, my thoughts were basically, we are probably going to lose anyway, why not throw him out there and see if he is even worth keeping on the roster at this point. I know Vick will get the start hands down. I was just wondering what others thoughts were. Truth is, next year we probably won't have Vick or Jones on our roster so we may be in the market for a backup and 3rd stringer.

ALLD
10-14-2015, 02:28 PM
Go with Vick and let him run the no huddle. Have Ben feed him plays and send Haley into the stands to sell hotdogs.

steelreserve
10-14-2015, 03:39 PM
Well it was a hypothetical, my thoughts were basically, we are probably going to lose anyway, why not throw him out there and see if he is even worth keeping on the roster at this point.

We know he's not worth keeping on the roster. If he was, he would've done something, anything, to show it long ago. We know what result we're going to get if we put him in. It would just be throwing the game away. I figure we've got a less than 50% chance of winning the game, but if you started Jones, it would be more like less than 5%.

Rotorhead
10-14-2015, 04:23 PM
Probably true, wonder if we are drafting another project QB next draft (with our limited # of picks already).

86WARD
10-14-2015, 04:28 PM
Probably true, wonder if we are drafting another project QB next draft (with our limited # of picks already).

Of course not.

steelreserve
10-14-2015, 04:44 PM

I don't see why we would. If he's any good, he'll leave at the end of his rookie contract. If he's not good, we've wasted a pick on another Landry Jones. Best case, he's good enough that three years from now there's a QB controversy; but then maybe Ben gets shoved out the door a year or two earlier than he should.

Drafting your backup QB is a lose-lose proposition. More like lose-lose-lose, actually. You're far better off getting a cast-off veteran for the league minimum and not having to worry about any of that shit - which is what we've been doing for most of the past decade. Draft a QB when you're ready to start looking seriously for Ben's replacement.

hawaiiansteeler
10-14-2015, 04:58 PM
Starting Landry Jones. Voluntarily. In an actual regular-season game that counts in the standings. What planet made entirely of crack cocaine did you just come back from?

No. Just absolutely no way. Don't let Jones anywhere near the field. Don't even let him touch the backup game balls, in case he spills incompetence on them.

I can't really say it any better than this...

j-d-s
10-14-2015, 06:05 PM
I would start Tim Tebow before I let Jones play in a real NFL game.

86WARD
10-14-2015, 06:13 PM
I would start Tim Tebow before I let Jones play in a real NFL game.

I wouldn't...lol.

Butch
10-14-2015, 06:39 PM
Totally agree with Steelreserve. I cannot fathom how anyone who has seen Laundry Jones play could even think you would want to see him in a game, unless the intention is to tank the entire season. Vick may not be Stellar, but he's already shown more promise than Laundry ever has.

While we are at it why on earth would you think that Vick won't be on our roster next season? I personally don't see him going away anytime soon and if that puts Laundry on the bench longer or even better puts him on the streets then I am all for it.

zulater
10-14-2015, 07:03 PM
Assuming Ben's a no go, the last two possessions bought Vick the start.

That said, why the hell is Landry Jones on the roster still? Well into his third year on the roster and when Grabowski goes down they have to look outside the roster for a 2nd stringer? He can no longer be considered a developmental qb. At this point he can only be looked at as a wasted draft pick and an even worse use of a roster spot.

hawaiiansteeler
10-14-2015, 08:45 PM
Assuming Ben's a no go, the last two possessions bought Vick the start.

That said, why the hell is Landry Jones on the roster still?

Landry Jones is currently our backup QB...

Edman
10-14-2015, 10:35 PM
With Ben going down, the Steelers chances of making the playoffs is in jeopardy.

With Vick going down, the chances of the Steelers even winning a single game is in jeopardy.

Psycho Ward 86
10-14-2015, 11:02 PM
As much suck as Vick is full of, ill go with him.

Still dont feel like we're really utilizing him well. Where are the god damn play action passes and bootlegs?

HollywoodSteel
10-15-2015, 12:14 AM
Rotorhead, I hope you don't feel like you're being attacked for asking the question, but while I wouldn't be as blunt as others here, I had the same initial reaction as the others. It's just that it brings up the memories... the horror of watching Jones in the preseason only to be told that he is taking a roster spot from... well, anyone. When we grabbed Vick we should have looted some other team's practice squad QB if we really wanted to carry 3 QBs. But when Ben went down, that made L.J. our #2. Behind Mike Vick. Who maybe survived a full season once. And that's when he was younger and in the best shape of his life. He's 35 now, and the only thing making him any less fragile is possibly the coaches telling him not to take any chance of taking a big hit. But we'll be lucky if Vick makes it through this time until Ben comes back. Now Landry Jones is standing on the sidelines as a number 2 QB... in a STEELERS UNIFORM. Like he's a Steeler or something!

I'd rather go with a veteran off the street who has never looked at our playbook until now rather than a guy who knows our plays just enough to ruin them all.

I'm sorry. I really don't mean to pile on. Maybe you weren't watching every preseason snap like some of us around here. I think some of us are merely reacting so harshly due to our post traumatic Jones disorder. You've innocently opened up a wound that will never truly heal until we cut the man that did this to us. A man named Landry Jones...

The... horror...

http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/doblaje/images/4/4d/Kurtz.gif/revision/latest?cb=20130310015600&path-prefix=es

hawaiiansteeler
10-15-2015, 12:34 AM

Still dont feel like we're really utilizing him well. Where are the god damn play action passes and bootlegs?

the Steelers are probably afraid Vick will get injured running the ball, which means Landry Jones would have to play. I don't think anyone really wants that to happen, not in a game that counts for real anyway...

Rotorhead
10-15-2015, 01:06 AM
I don't feel attacked lol, just posted it for discussion really. Got tired of the same stuff and figured a different topic would be nice. I know Jones only chance of playing is if Vick gets hurt. But I do think his pocket passing game is better that Vicks, and since Haley can't seem to figure out how a roll out pass or the play action works, maybe Jones would be more effective, doubt it, but worth a discussion.

86WARD
10-15-2015, 04:30 AM
Never thought we'd miss Gradkowski...lol..

86WARD
10-15-2015, 04:30 AM

I tend to agree with you...

Steelman
10-15-2015, 08:48 AM
I was suggesting a change late in the 3rd against SD because Vick was sucking that bad and at least Landry might've had better timing on basic slant routes. But no way do I want Jones starting a game, that's a catastrophic disaster in the making.

The one positive from Vick is that he hasn't turned the ball over. (Hail Mary aside) That would change in a hurry with Landry running the show.

Moose
10-15-2015, 09:54 AM
Vick get's the start definitely. I still say Jones has pics of someone having sex with an animal, why else would that moron be taking a spot on the roster ? I like idea of making Haley work the stands selling hot dogs/beer. LOL I say Vick will squeak out a play somewhere in the 60 minutes and hopefully our defense will score a few points on some Palmer interceptions or fumbles and we get another needed WIN.

teegre
10-15-2015, 10:46 AM
I don't feel attacked lol, just posted it for discussion really. Got tired of the same stuff and figured a different topic would be nice. I know Jones only chance of playing is if Vick gets hurt. But I do think his pocket passing game is better that Vicks, and since Haley can't seem to figure out how a roll out pass or the play action works, maybe Jones would be more effective, doubt it, but worth a discussion.

I thought that this was a good discussion starter. It's not as black & white as some are making it.

Vick is physically more skilled than Jones will ever be. On the flip side, Jones knows the entire playbook, whereas Vick simply doesn't.

In one hand you have a guy (Jones) who knows Haley's entire offense, but can't execute it. In the other hand, you have a guy (Vick) who doesn't know the plays, nor is able to read a defense, but has two assets: a cannon for an arm and his legs.

In other words... in one hand you have a rock, and in your other hand is a hard place.

steelreserve
10-15-2015, 01:26 PM
I thought that this was a good discussion starter. It's not as black & white as some are making it.

Vick is physically more skilled than Jones will ever be. On the flip side, Jones knows the entire playbook, whereas Vick simply doesn't.

In one hand you have a guy (Jones) who knows Haley's entire offense, but can't execute it. In the other hand, you have a guy (Vick) who doesn't know the plays, nor is able to read a defense, but has two assets: a cannon for an arm and his legs.

In other words... in one hand you have a rock, and in your other hand is a hard place.

It's a pretty simple equation to me. If you barely know the offense but have talent, the result is that sometimes you'll suck and sometimes you won't. If you know the entire offense but suck at all of it, the result is simply that you suck. I would take the talented meathead every time in this situation.

I don't get all the hate for Vick that people have right now. We won the last game with him in, and should've won the game before, except that the idiot kicker blew it. Do I need to go back two and a half weeks, and round up all the quotes from every single member of this forum saying things to the effect of "If Vick can just go .500 until Ben gets back, I'll take that in a second!" If we'd been 2-0, those people would be ecstatic (but still complaining, I guess).

Bottom line is that Vick has gotten the job done. Yes, it's been ugly, but nobody's giving out style points. Still not bad for a guy who wasn't even on the team two months ago. We all know he's not as good as Ben, and we all want Ben to come back, but Vick has kept it from becoming the dumpster fire everyone was afraid of, which is what we hired him for. Everyone goes around saying "You can't expect the backup to be as good as your starter," and then for some reason acts surprised when it turns out to be true.

I still think we could be doing even better if what we meant by running a "limited offense" was paring down the playbook to do things that played to Vick's strengths, not running the Charlie Batch Safe Mode offense that does exactly the opposite. Also all the pining for Gradkowski .. could he have won these games for us? I'm not sure he'd have been any better. Such are backups.

hawaiiansteeler
10-15-2015, 01:35 PM
It's not as black & white as some are making it.

http://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/static/img/fantasy/transparent/200x200/VIC311467.pnghttp://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/static/img/fantasy/transparent/200x200/JON565403.png

86WARD
10-15-2015, 01:53 PM
Vick wasn't with the team in the "dog days" if summer either...

ALLD
10-15-2015, 02:22 PM
Vick brought us back twice in the 4th quarter of games and should be 2-0 except for a bad kicker.

teegre
10-15-2015, 03:00 PM
Vick wasn't with the team in the "dog days" if summer either...

:rofl2:

Hence, it has been ruff...

- - - Updated - - -

http://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/static/img/fantasy/transparent/200x200/VIC311467.pnghttp://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/static/img/fantasy/transparent/200x200/JON565403.png

:wtf:

:chuckle:

teegre
10-15-2015, 03:26 PM
It's a pretty simple equation to me. If you barely know the offense but have talent, the result is that sometimes you'll suck and sometimes you won't. If you know the entire offense but suck at all of it, the result is simply that you suck. I would take the talented meathead every time in this situation.

I don't get all the hate for Vick that people have right now. We won the last game with him in, and should've won the game before, except that the idiot kicker blew it. Do I need to go back two and a half weeks, and round up all the quotes from every single member of this forum saying things to the effect of "If Vick can just go .500 until Ben gets back, I'll take that in a second!" If we'd been 2-0, those people would be ecstatic (but still complaining, I guess).

Bottom line is that Vick has gotten the job done. Yes, it's been ugly, but nobody's giving out style points. Still not bad for a guy who wasn't even on the team two months ago. We all know he's not as good as Ben, and we all want Ben to come back, but Vick has kept it from becoming the dumpster fire everyone was afraid of, which is what we hired him for. Everyone goes around saying "You can't expect the backup to be as good as your starter," and then for some reason acts surprised when it turns out to be true.

I still think we could be doing even better if what we meant by running a "limited offense" was paring down the playbook to do things that played to Vick's strengths, not running the Charlie Batch Safe Mode offense that does exactly the opposite. Also all the pining for Gradkowski .. could he have won these games for us? I'm not sure he'd have been any better. Such are backups.

We're talking about backup QBs. No one expects them to be as good as BB. :huh:

So... let's get back to comparing these two "less than BB" backup quarterbacks...

Being as objective as possible, Vick led the offense to only one FG in the first three quarters of Monday's game. Whether he won or not, those three quarters were not good.

Vick was not hitting wide open receivers. For example... on a third-&-makable, Wheaton was open on the sideline for an easy first down. If Vick were to make a throwing error, it should have been to the left (towards the sideline); that way, if Wheaton misses the ball, it falls incomplete. Instead, Vick threw the ball to the right, directly towards the CB. Wheaton broke up the pass, but it should have been a pick six.

Ultimately, you are correct though: Vick made two outstanding plays that Jones would never have been able to make: the 72 yard TD to Wheaton ...and... the 24 yard scramble.

SUMMATION:
Vick is better, because he has the potential to make big plays... alas, those plays might occur after seven straight three-&-outs.

steelreserve
10-15-2015, 04:20 PM
Well, right. Vick can win the game for you, and can also lose the game for you. We knew that going in. Jones can't win the game for you, but he can sure lose it. Those seven three-and-outs would've just been followed by another three-and-out.

hawaiiansteeler
10-15-2015, 06:12 PM
Mark Kaboly ‏@MarkKaboly_Trib

Steelers have punted 17 times in 9 quarters with Vick; 6 times in 11 with Roethlisberger.

https://twitter.com/MarkKaboly_Trib

hawaiiansteeler
10-18-2015, 03:16 PM
Landry Jones, greatest Pittsburgh Steelers QB ever! :tt02:

1) Landry Jones
2) Ben Roethlisberger
3) Terry Bradshaw

st33lersguy
10-18-2015, 03:18 PM
Jones easily

zoneblitzerII
10-18-2015, 03:18 PM
I think a sweat sock could out duel Vick.

fansince'76
10-18-2015, 03:21 PM
There's really no justification to start Vick again next week if Ben still can't go.

86WARD
10-18-2015, 03:36 PM
At this stage and after today...I think it's a no brainer you have to go with Jones. There was a functional offense on the field when Jones was out there.

Jones showed a lot of improvement during the preseason and it seemed like he had a clue out there at times...

Steeldude
10-18-2015, 03:40 PM
We know he's not worth keeping on the roster. If he was, he would've done something, anything, to show it long ago. We know what result we're going to get if we put him in. It would just be throwing the game away. I figure we've got a less than 50% chance of winning the game, but if you started Jones, it would be more like less than 5%.

You were saying?

See how playing a QB behind center rather than a WR is a positive thing?

Craic
10-18-2015, 03:43 PM
At this stage and after today...I think it's a no brainer you have to go with Jones. There was a functional offense on the field when Jones was out there.

Jones showed a lot of improvement during the preseason.

This (provided the edit is included).

There should be no question. Start Jones next week. Give him a full week to work with the first team. Heck, if he wins again, keep him in until Ben is fully healthy, then see if we can trade him at the end of the year for a good draft pick, provided we still have him under contract.

Count Steeler
10-18-2015, 04:58 PM
I have to admit that the coaching staff made the right move by playing L Jones in so many preseason games. He did show improvement and at least he knows the offense. Will be a tad different to start though, although there is not a lot of tape on him yet. Hope Vick is ready as a backup.

86WARD
10-18-2015, 05:16 PM
I have to admit that the coaching staff made the right move by playing L Jones in so many preseason games. He did show improvement and at least he knows the offense. Will be a tad different to start though, although there is not a lot of tape on him yet. Hope Vick is ready as a backup.

Clearly Vick is not ready to be any kind of back up...

Godfather
10-18-2015, 05:18 PM

Ookie must be the hard place. He's not smart enough to be a rock.

Steeldude
10-18-2015, 05:33 PM
There's really no justification to start Vick again next week if Ben still can't go.

I won't be surprised at all if Vick starts next week.

ALLD
10-18-2015, 05:53 PM
Remember, Jone's 88-yard TD pass was thrown from about the 8-yd. line to Bryant at the 20 and he did the rest from there.

fansince'76
10-18-2015, 05:54 PM
Remember, Jone's 88-yard TD pass was thrown from about the 8-yd. line to Bryant at the 20 and he did the rest from there.

Yes, but chances are Vick doesn't even get it there in the first place.

Edman
10-18-2015, 06:44 PM

Landry Jones actually found Bryant and got the ball to him on the money.

Vick wouldn't have done that.

Le'Veon Bell called Jones "Ben Jr.". It's quite obvious everyone is much more comfortable and on the right page when Landry is in the game as opposed to Vick.

If Ben can't go next week, Landry gets the starting job against the Chiefs.

steelreserve
10-18-2015, 06:51 PM

Jones showed a lot of improvement during the preseason and it seemed like he had a clue out there at times...

You were saying?

See how playing a QB behind center rather than a WR is a positive thing?

I have no idea. The dude just completely shut me up.

After that performance (by both QBs), there is no way Vick should get another start. There's always some chance that it was a fluke performance by Jones, but you have to go with that you saw. We looked like a completely different team in the second half.

No way would I want to go back to the struggling Vick shit parade after the way the first half went. I still don't think we've been putting Vick in a position to succeed, but it's pretty apparent we're never going to do that and he's never going to adapt to what we want, so the hell with it. Apparently we've found something else that works better, so might as well take you chances with that.

Man, I had thought Heyward-Bey was the pleasant surprise of the season so far, but I don't think anything's going to top this.

hawaiiansteeler
10-18-2015, 07:02 PM
Ed Bouchette ‏@EdBouchette

James Harrison on Landry Jones: "He's our quarterback now."

https://twitter.com/EdBouchette

Steeldude
10-18-2015, 07:25 PM

Your point?

Devilsdancefloor
10-18-2015, 07:28 PM
landry jones reminds me SOOOOOOOOOO much of bubby brister its not funny. He will make the most amazing throw, then the next 3 or 4 leave you scratching your head, but clearly he is a better QB than vick. Vick is either 2 or 3 seconds late with his throws or he just gets sacked. Also he never audibles out of a play 8 or 9 guys in a box it is still a run play. i think this threw off the cards once landry got in he actually played and called audibles.

SteelerFanInStl
10-18-2015, 07:30 PM
This shouldn't even be a question. Vick proved that he was incapable of leading this offense. I hope that he never plays another down for the Steelers.

zulater
10-18-2015, 07:31 PM
If Tomlin tries to go back to Vick he'll have a mutiny on his hands. Starting with his OC.

Vick just has no clue how to play qb. It's amazing someone with 15 years in the league can look so mentally challenged by the position? :noidea: He can't read a defense. He can't check out of a play that has zero chance for success. Stack 9 men in the box, give you AB in one on one coverage with a backup safety. He hands the ball off right into the teeth of the defense.

Sorry but the new to the team excuse doesn't work anymore. This guy either has the football I.Q. of a baked potato or just came here to cash a check. Personally I lean to the latter. I think the last thing in the world Vick wanted to do was play. No one wanted Ben to stay healthy more than he did. Just one last grab at the big bucks, then slide off into oblivion. Well oblivion's arrived.The Steelers should cut him and search the waiver wire for a rd stringer.

You can't give a player heart of brains. One or both are seriously lacking here.

katmandu
10-18-2015, 07:41 PM
Ok, everyone else that busted Laundry's balls in this thread get your butts back in hear and let's hear your thoughts on him now! steelreserve stepped up and own up already.

If Tomlin tries to go back to Vick he'll have a mutiny on his hands. Starting with his OC.

Vick just has no clue how to play qb. It's amazing someone with 15 years in the league can look so mentally challenged by the position? :noidea: He can't read a defense. He can't check out of a play that has zero chance for success. Stack 9 men in the box, give you AB in one on one coverage with a backup safety. He hands the ball off right into the teeth of the defense.

Sorry but the new to the team excuse doesn't work anymore. This guy either has the football I.Q. of a baked potato or just came here to cash a check. Personally I lean to the latter. I think the last thing in the world Vick wanted to do was play. No one wanted Ben to stay healthy more than he did. Just one last grab at the big bucks, then slide off into oblivion. Well oblivion's arrived.The Steelers should cut him and search the waiver wire for a rd stringer.

I think Vick's blinding speed and scrambling covered up just how "Shamarko-Like" his football IQ real is ! Now that he's old and slow he can't hide this anymore.

hawaiiansteeler
10-18-2015, 07:44 PM
Sadly it's not going to matter.

Steelers 25
Cardinals 13

stillers4me
10-18-2015, 07:45 PM
I "manned up" in another thread.

86WARD
10-18-2015, 07:54 PM
Ok, everyone else that busted Laundry's balls in this thread get your butts back in hear and let's hear your thoughts on him now! steelreserve stepped up and own up already.

I think Vick's blinding speed and scrambling covered up just how "Shamarko-Like" his football IQ real is ! Now that he's old and slow he can't hide this anymore.

I wasn't the biggest fan of Jones but I acknowledged all preseason that he was better than he's ever been. Having said that, I Still thought he was a wasted roster spot at the time. After the Ben injury, I thought Vick should start, even after the first game. About half way through game 2 I started feeling Jones should play...after the first quarter and a half today, I thought it should be Jones the rest of the way. A QB with this talent around him that throws for -1 yards should be benched immediately...

I wouldn't be surprised if it was found that Vick was pulling a Rodney Dangerfield...lol.

zulater
10-18-2015, 08:04 PM
Man up on Landry? Why? The Steelers have been trying to hand him the second string job the last two offseasons. He "impressed" them so much that when Grakowski got hurt they went off the roster to get a suspect qb and then proceeded to promote him over Landry to the on deck circle.

I'm glad Landry earned his check today. If Ben can't go next week hopefully he follows up today with another competent performance. But lets face it, if Landry had shown himself to be ready prior to today we wouldn't have had to endure the new "Micheal Vick experience, (the one that leaves you retching in your mouth), for the past month. .

tube517
10-18-2015, 08:04 PM
I think we all busted on Landry Jones.

I never wanted Vick so I was pleasantly surprised at Landry's confidence. I think that it was what we thought we were going to get when he was drafted. He needs to go out there and just play. Vick looks like a 5th string rookie when he plays. he second guesses himself and throws too late. Landry went in there and didn't think twice. The pass to AB was one I thought he wasn't capable of making. Gotta trust the receivers and he did today.

teegre
10-18-2015, 08:14 PM
Ookie must be the hard place. He's not smart enough to be a rock.

LOL

The rock was covered by a nice air mattress today. :wink02:

Shoes
10-18-2015, 08:18 PM
One of Vicks biggest supporters thinks he's done.
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-gameday/0ap3000000560561/Deion-Might-be-last-time-we-see-Vick-play

86WARD
10-18-2015, 08:30 PM
It's only been a half of football by the way. Let's not anoint Jones the second coming quite yet.

Count Steeler
10-18-2015, 08:39 PM
It's only been a half of football by the way. Let's not anoint Jones the second coming quite yet.

And the defense didn't game plan for him. Pleased with his performance, but I am not expecting him to replace Ben just yet. I think he has earned the 2nd string, though.

86WARD
10-18-2015, 08:42 PM
He at least has earned a start in KC if Ben can't go...

Count Steeler
10-18-2015, 08:44 PM
He at least has earned a start in KC if Ben can't go...

2nd string, meaning Vick is 3rd or released.

Dissolv
10-18-2015, 08:44 PM
It (should) only come down to who gives the team the best chance to win next week. Any other consideration is a detriment to the team. If I were Tomlin, I wouldn't announce who was the starter next week until he absolutely has to. But it would be Landry.

Dissolv

hawaiiansteeler
10-18-2015, 08:48 PM

let's see how Jones does next week playing on the road against Tamba Hali and Justin Houston putting constant pressure on him before we get too excited.

having said that, I was thrilled to see him play well today. very few Steelers players ever have taken as much criticism as Landry Jones has...

zulater
10-18-2015, 08:50 PM
Take away Vick's 72-yard pass to Markus Wheaton last week and he's thrown for 187 yards in his last TEN quarters. That's 18.7 yds per qtr

From a Jeremy Fowler tweet.

86WARD
10-18-2015, 08:51 PM
Take away Vick's 72-yard pass to Markus Wheaton last week and he's thrown for 187 yards in his last TEN quarters. That's 18.7 yds per qtr

Lol...ugh...and it took this long to get Jones in there...

tube517
10-18-2015, 09:00 PM
let's see how Jones does next week playing on the road against Tamba Hali and Justin Houston putting constant pressure on him before we get too excited.

having said that, I was thrilled to see him play well today. very few Steelers players ever have taken as much criticism as Landry Jones has...

When Deebo gets fined for that hit ( I say when because we still have a dickhead commisssioner)....let Deebo practice rushing Landry after he receives his FedEx package from Der Kommisar.

Psycho Ward 86
10-18-2015, 09:16 PM

"But if you take away Willie Parker's long runs" -passing edition :lol:

(I do agree with the tweet though)

- - - Updated - - -

Landry took some punishing hits today and did have some significant pressure and still delivered on those plays so that was definitely promising

Rotorhead
10-18-2015, 09:53 PM
Am I still a crack head, etc now LOL? After the SD game I just thought having a more accurate passer that could throw the timing routes would be a better fit with Bell running. It was.

Steeldude
10-18-2015, 09:54 PM
Vick wasn't with the team long enough is nothing but a joke of an excuse. He could have been here for 3 years and he would still be the same.

- - - Updated - - -

That's very good for Vick.

StillCurtains
10-18-2015, 10:01 PM

I know... It's just not that simple to me. I was glad Landry was able to do what he could do, but Bryant did do most of the work. Do I knock Landry for that? No... It's just a fact. Would Jones have given them better results through the whole game? Maybe, or maybe not!

On the flip side, It's true Vick is at a disadvantage by not being in camp. With that I cut him slack. He did well enough to win vs Baltimore. He had a bad 3 quarters vs San Diego and came up big in the 4th, and today he had a terrible first half. Although Vick was not in camp, the fact is that it's looking pretty bad with him out there right now.

So against Kansas City, can Landry come in and be more productive than Vick in a full game? Can Vick shake off the struggles and get a win vs Kansas City? I don't have an answer for either of these. I'm glad I'm not the coach.

Rotorhead
10-18-2015, 10:06 PM
Landry should get the start, if they want Vick can be out for a "Hammy injury" to save face. Hell, keep Vick on for a Chance for a ring if they want.

SteelFever
10-18-2015, 10:06 PM
I won't be surprised at all if Vick starts next week.

That is my fear. In my opinion Vick never was a good quarterback, just someone who could run fast. So glad to see Jones come in and do great and be the hero of the game. Glad to see a real quarterback playing for the Steelers again. Now I just hope Tomlin gives up on his love affair with Vick, and lets Jones start next week.

Butch
10-18-2015, 10:39 PM
Landry had a good game came in and did what Vick couldn't and impressed me on that aspect alone. Hopefully he keeps it going if he is called upon to carry the team again.

That all being said he has shown me nothing to believe he could do this when I saw him play in pre-season. Let's see how it plays out next time he comes in, and I will gladly eat crow if he turns out to be something more than I ever thought he was.

hawaiiansteeler
10-18-2015, 10:40 PM
Landry took some punishing hits today and did have some significant pressure and still delivered on those plays so that was definitely promising

true, but I think it would be much different on the road in a "hostile environment". if you will...

let's hope we never have to find out or that I'm wrong (yes, that's happened before) :chuckle:

st33lersguy
10-18-2015, 10:42 PM
Landry definitely played better, should go with him if Ben can't play

Mach1
10-18-2015, 10:52 PM
Steelers 25
Cardinals 13
Yep get to eat my words [emoji51]
The kid did good

j-d-s
10-19-2015, 12:36 AM
I still don't think Landry is the solution, not after one game against a defense that did not prepare for him but for Mike Vick. But at least now I would be willing to give him a shot to prove himself if Ben can't start. We still could bench Landry and get Mike Vick in there, which probably is even more difficult for the opposing defense since Vick is a dangerous runner.

But I obviously would prefer if we never find out more about Landry because Ben returns and stays healthy.

By the way, I don't have bad feelings about being wrong about Landry that he was such a bad QB and turned out to be decent and won the game. If we win, I could care less if JaMarcus Russell himself is playing QB.

86WARD
10-19-2015, 04:18 AM
Better question could be Kent Graham or Vick...

zulater
10-19-2015, 04:50 AM
Vick wasn't with the team long enough is nothing but a joke of an excuse. He could have been here for 3 years and he would still be the same.

- - - Updated - - -

That's very good for Vick.

Agreed. I tried to make the point after the Ravens game that Vick had been on the roster long enough that he shouldn't have looked lost like he did most of the night. I also tried to point out that rookie qb's have come into early season situations due to injuries and looked much more competent. A 15 year vet who's been on on the roster over a month should be able to pick up enough of the offense that you don't have to scale down your offense to romper room level.

[

zulater
10-19-2015, 05:38 AM
I know... It's just not that simple to me. I was glad Landry was able to do what he could do, but Bryant did do most of the work. Do I knock Landry for that? No... It's just a fact. Would Jones have given them better results through the whole game? Maybe, or maybe not!

On the flip side, It's true Vick is at a disadvantage by not being in camp. With that I cut him slack. He did well enough to win vs Baltimore. He had a bad 3 quarters vs San Diego and came up big in the 4th, and today he had a terrible first half. Although Vick was not in camp, the fact is that it's looking pretty bad with him out there right now.

So against Kansas City, can Landry come in and be more productive than Vick in a full game? Can Vick shake off the struggles and get a win vs Kansas City? I don't have an answer for either of these. I'm glad I'm not the coach.

If Tomlin starts Vick he will lose the respect of every payer on that offense. The quotes from LeVeon and AB were revealing. This team has lost faith in Vick. Anyway bottom line is production as opposed to lack thereof. In 7 offensive series Vick "led" the offense to 90 yards. He's shown an inability or unwillingness to check out of a bad play. They can put 10 men in the box, leave AB standing uncovered and if the play call was run it up the gut that's exactly what Vick will do. He's a 15 year vet. He's been on the team for two months and he still looks lost standing behind center. He doesn't flow with the game. He's always a second or more behind in what he's seeing. And in the NFL a receiver might be open for barely a second and if you don't recognize and deliver the ball at the precise moment the opportunity is gone. Or worse yet you deliver it late and an easy completion becomes a potential interception. And yes I know Vick hasn't thrown interceptions. But it's not from lack of trying. In the last two games he could have easily thrown as many as 5 picks.

He just doesn't fit in this offense. I was hoping the late game success he had against the Chargers would get him to relax and help him figure out what he can and can't do best in our scheme. But it was just an illusion. He still has a strong arm and can complete the occasional deep pass. He still can run. But he doesn't have game changing speed anymore. Well at least not for a qb who can't pass accurately. If we're lucky he's thrown his last pass as a Steeler.

Rotorhead
10-19-2015, 10:33 AM
I think this is the first game they used Vick's properly, roll outs to give him clean passing lanes and options to run (which he did successfully). I expected him to be able to complete more passes out there though, and that hasnt materialized. Jones can hit the timing routes, that will work better, short high percentage passes are what we need until Ben gets back. It gets the ball in AB's hands and MB's hands, and you saw what that did.

tube517
10-19-2015, 10:45 AM
Sorry, i can't read this thread. I have dirt in my eye.

86WARD
10-19-2015, 11:30 AM
Sorry, i can't read this thread. I have dirt in my eye.

Lol.

Rotorhead
10-20-2015, 10:32 AM
Landry had a good game came in and did what Vick couldn't and impressed me on that aspect alone. Hopefully he keeps it going if he is called upon to carry the team again.

That all being said he has shown me nothing to believe he could do this when I saw him play in pre-season. Let's see how it plays out next time he comes in, and I will gladly eat crow if he turns out to be something more than I ever thought he was.

All Landry has to do is complete the short timing routes (which Vick can not seem to do) and get the ball to our playmakers. KC's secondary is worse than terrible. All they have is a good pass rush, so short quick passing routes and dump offs to Bell or Heath should counter that fine. We have 3 very good to great WR's and HeyBey has definately picked up his game as well. I think Landry is going to have a big game this week (if Ben is not back), along with Bell.

j-d-s
10-26-2015, 04:08 AM
So much for that. Our critic on Jones was correct and I'm glad I stayed with it. He didn't play that horrible, but not very good either.

zulater
10-26-2015, 05:19 AM
I'd be happy to have Landry back next season as the number 2 qb. Tough venue yesterday. Yes he missed some open receivers but he also kept the chains moving most of the game. Haley's play calling wasn't exactly helping things too much.

Bottom line is I think these last two games have shown that Landry can do what a back up is supposed to do and keep a season afloat if he has to play a stretch of games. Wont win them all, but wont lose games for you either.

steel striker
10-26-2015, 11:11 AM
I still think Landry would be a good #2 QB Haley could have called some better plays for him yesterday. Could have been a different game if Williams would have caught the 3rd down and short in the red zone who knows?

Rotorhead
10-26-2015, 11:26 AM
I don't think he would be a good #2, but do think he was better than Vick. We DEFINATELY need to find another #2 if Gradkowski doesn't return.

Craic
10-26-2015, 01:09 PM
Bottom line is I think these last two games have shown that Landry can do what a back up is supposed to do and keep a season afloat if he has to play a stretch of games. Wont win them all, but wont lose games for you either.

This. I'd like to see us sign him to another 3 year backup QB contract, and then also bring in another aging starter. We've seen too often where this team, for whatever reason, goes through QBs like sailor going through whiskey on shore leave.

zulater
10-26-2015, 02:52 PM
I still think Landry would be a good #2 QB Haley could have called some better plays for him yesterday. Could have been a different game if Williams would have caught the 3rd down and short in the red zone who knows?

Yeah that was a huge play. Make that catch and chances are pretty good you get the td on that possession. Force K.C. to play from behind and things could have taken on a different complexion.

zulater
10-26-2015, 02:58 PM
I don't think he would be a good #2, but do think he was better than Vick. We DEFINATELY need to find another #2 if Gradkowski doesn't return.

Honestly if what we've seen from Landry these past two games is an accurate indication of what he is, I really don't think there's more than 8-12 current NFL back-ups that are a significant upgrade to Landry. I think the kid will grow from this. Plus it's fairly clear his teammates belief in him has increased exponentially after seeing him pay. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but I meant what I said, assuming Grabowski doesn't get invited back I'm good going into next season with Landry as the back up.