PDA

View Full Version : TPOP: Steelers-Chargers

teegre
10-14-2015, 10:08 AM
Here is my article (on The Point of Pittsburgh) about the Steelers-Chargers game. It encapsulates my entire evening... but, mostly, it's about Vick.

Up Close & Personal
by Tiger Rowan

What an ending. Man alive, there is nothing better than a “walk-off touchdown” to finish a game. Of course, in order to truly appreciate the impact of Le’Veon Bell’s game-winning touchdown run, you needed to have watched every single heart-attack-inducing second of the Steelers-Chargers game. Likewise, you will need to read this entire article, in order to entirely understand the emotional roller coaster which I experienced during that game.

Let’s start at the beginning.

As I got out of my car in Qualcomm Stadium’s parking lot, I did a double-take, because I could have sworn that it was a Steelers’ home game. There was a disproportionate ratio of Steelers jersey to Chargers jerseys… something around twenty Steelers jerseys to every Chargers jersey. I shrugged that off, thinking that Chargers fans were probably still at work, and would be arriving right before game time. Indeed, by kickoff the ratio had dwindled down towards a fifty-fifty split, which is still amazing for a road game.

Fast-forward to when I arrived at my seat on the Chargers side of the stadium (note: that is the only side to sit on in Qualcomm Stadium, because the visitor side is routinely bathed in harsh, blinding sunlight). Being on the home side meant that I was sitting amidst a good many Chargers fans. I greeted everyone around me, ascertaining the “sportsmanship level” of those who may or may not throw beer on me. The Chargers fan to my immediate right was attending the game alone, and due to that circumstance and due to his friendly nature, we struck an accord. (Let’s give him the pseudonym: Joe.)

As the game was about to commence, Joe informed me that he had attended Virginia Tech at the same time that Michael Vick was playing there; hence, Joe was secretly rooting for Vick to have a good game. With that common denominator in place, Vick became the focal point of most of our conversations throughout the evening. Alas, for three quarters, it was a painful experience.

Read more:
http://www.thepointofpittsburgh.com/up-close-and-personal-tpop-at-steelers-chargers/

Feel free to pass it along to anyone & everyone that you think may enjoy reading it.

tube517
10-14-2015, 11:29 AM
Good read, Tiger.

Your avatar is the face I made when they lined up in wildcat on the final play lol

teegre
10-14-2015, 03:47 PM
Good read, Tiger.

Your avatar is the face I made when they lined up in wildcat on the final play lol

Thanks, man. I try.

:chuckle:

Really though, I liked that play. Yesterday, I watched the game (I had DVRed it), and now I get why people keep talking about "Vick on a sneak": Gruden kept saying it over & over.

hawaiiansteeler
10-14-2015, 05:16 PM
I'm really jealous, I would have soooo loved to have attended that game...

teegre
10-14-2015, 05:50 PM

Live been lucky enough to have attended some really outstanding games. Here are a few...

1996: Arizona - Bettis scores the game-winning TD in OT

2005: San Diego - James Harrison leaps over LT for a sack

2010: Arizona - Wallace scores on a 95 TD pass

2015: San Diego - Vick sucks for 53 minutes, and then scores two TDs to win

hawaiiansteeler
10-14-2015, 06:44 PM
Live been lucky enough to have attended some really outstanding games. Here are a few...

2010: Arizona - Wallace scores on a 95 TD pass

who is this Wallace guy you refer to?

might need to start a new thread about him...:thumbsup:

teegre
10-14-2015, 06:47 PM
who is this Wallace guy you refer to?

It's the pseudonym that Brandon Boykin uses when he checks into a hotel.

hawaiiansteeler
10-14-2015, 06:50 PM
It's the pseudonym that Brandon Boykin uses when he checks into a hotel.

Brandon Boykin?

might need to start a thread asking if anyone knows why he isn't playing...:noidea:

teegre
10-14-2015, 06:57 PM
Brandon Boykin?

might need to start a thread asking if anyone knows why he isn't playing...:noidea:

:stirthepot:

teegre
10-14-2015, 07:20 PM

You know what was great... walking around and seeing all of the creative stuff that people did.

There were clever signs, superhero Steelers fans, chants... but, the best was that Vick jersey (which is pictured at the top of the article; I'd post it here, but I don't know how to post pictures inside of a thread). Everyone got a picture of that jersey... even the Charger fans.

hawaiiansteeler
10-14-2015, 07:26 PM
You know what was great... walking around and seeing all of the creative stuff that people did.

There were clever signs, superhero Steelers fans, chants... but, the best was that Vick jersey (which is pictured at the top of the article; I'd post it here, but I don't know how to post pictures inside of a thread). Everyone got a picture of that jersey... even the Charger fans.

http://i1.wp.com/www.thepointofpittsburgh.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/image1.jpg?resize=227%2C300

teegre
10-14-2015, 07:30 PM
http://i1.wp.com/www.thepointofpittsburgh.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/image1.jpg?resize=227%2C300

YES!!!!! That's it.

Now... how'd you do that?

86WARD
10-14-2015, 07:30 PM
Lol...

teegre
10-15-2015, 10:50 AM
I have a picture of a clever sign (from the game), but I can't figure out how to post it...

Yes, I'm a freakin' luddite. :doh:

zulater
10-17-2015, 08:06 AM
Good stuff as always Tiger! :applaudit:

teegre
10-17-2015, 08:32 AM
Good stuff as always Tiger! :applaudit:

Thanks, man. I appreciate the kind words.