PDA

View Full Version : Preseason Thoughts: Week 4

Chidi29
09-03-2010, 10:21 PM
I was just thinking how lucky we've been to have so little injury since the start of training camp. And then everything went down the toilet. A win puts us at 3-1 for the preseason, but that's the last thing I or anyone else cares about.

First Half

- Reed's times: 3.95 (1 yard deep). The second was a pretty weird kick; I didn't even bother to record the time. It was a really low liner that bounced away from the front return guy at the 11 and picked up at the five.

- And Sepulevda's: 4.1 (1 yard deep). 3.85 (4). 4.1 (4).

- It was typical Ben on that bad snap, if the grass sack. I looked away for a moment, thinking he was taken down for the sack. Should have known better. Both tackles fail to wrap him up and he even gets a throw off to Mendenhall, though the play had already been blown dead.

- Madison and Lewis were first team gunners.

- Woodley took the game off. Saw a couple of lazy arm tackles instead of his usual solid tackling.

- Gay, and not Lewis, started the game in place of McFadden. Anthony Madison seemed to be the team's starting nickel back. Not good news for Lewis. While he is more of an outside corner, having a career special teamer see the field before you is always a bad sign. Same can be said for Joe Burnett, who played behind Madison and Crezdon Butler and didn't enter the game until the 4th quarter. A surprise cut, perhaps?

- Bailey started in place of James Harrison. Patrick finally showed up defensively after being nonexistant to this point.

- This was the 3rd time this preseason Flozell recorded a pancake to a pass rushing DE. I can't recall any tackle doing so once last year.

- Warren started the game at long snapper. Stewart was the LS in the second half. Warren's knee is fine. We probably just want to have a guy on speed dial in case of injury like we did with Retofsky last season.

- No retalliation from Ike after getting a little shove from an offensive lineman. Way to keep your cool.

- Jonathan Scott replaced Flozell at RT after Ben and Rashard came out. The rest of the startes remained in the game.

- Lookie there. Keenan Lewis actually decided it'd be smart to attack the WR on the screen instead of running with him. Progress!

- I saw Isaac Redman on special teams. Coaches must think his conditioning can handle that. Good sign.

- I still see Patrick Bailey running with the 2's over Thaddeus Gibson. Gibson did come in with the 2's as a situational pass rusher, but not as an everydown OLB. You have to figure his progress is slow, especially after missing all that time in the spring (A crucial time for rookies to learn the ropes).

- IMPORTANT regarding Leftwich for those of you who are already skimming. Keep in mind that Troy's timetable for his MCL sprain was 4-6 weeks. Steve McClendon, a backup NT, sprained his MCL early in camp and didn't play a single game all preseason. The severity of the injury plays a role of course, but this is an injury where players tend to recover more slowly than quickly.

- Bouncing off of that, I saw a shot of Troy talking to Byron as he was being attended to. Troy held up three fingers to the doctor. The doctor responded by nodding his head, and a disgusted "Ugh!" expression came over Troy's face. Don't know what he said or what he meant, but it isn't good.

- Line changes: Starks, Legursky, Pouncey, Essex, Scott

- Still see lineman having success with the bull rush against Kemo. Coming into the year, I thought he could be a breakout player. Not so much now.

- Second team line: Hills, Foster, Hartwig, Legursky, Scott

- Ben showed his support by giving Scott a pat on the head as he came off the field.

- Foster moved to RT after Scott went down. Urbik filled in at LG. Bear in mind that Scott is virtually the only player to get time at RT besides Flozell. Foster only had one snap prior and Kyle Jolly, who has already been cut, got a few in the first game. Here's to hoping Scott's injury isn't serious despite the fact that he's an average (at best) lineman.

Second Half

- Sylvester had two great rundowns on kick coverage, but went for the big hit instead of the sound tackle each time. As a result, he whiffed on both

- Patrick Bailey eventually moved to ILB, replacing Renauld Williams. Thad Gibson replaced Bailey at OLB.

- Line: Hills, Foster, Legursky, Urbik, Kyle Jolly.

- This was Jolly's first action on the line since the Lions' game.

- Summers continues to look like a competent blocker. Even put a guy on his butt. I just don't see there being a free spot on the 53. Reports have surfaced that he's been released.

- Didn't see Cromartie-Smith out there. Shoulder injury must have kept him out. Couldn't capitalize on a valuable chance for experience.

- Line: Hills, Urbik, Legursky, Brooks, Jolly

- Brooks, like Jolly, hadn't played since seeing some spot action late in the Detroit game. He too has been cut.

- Matt Stewart again showed some wheels covering punts, helping to make a tackle.

- Line change: Hills, Foster, Legursky, Urbik, Jolly

- An interesting quote from Ward. Guess it isn't all that surprising, but it shows what the team thinks of Dixon in terms of his development.

"We must treat Dixon [who is in his 3rd year] like we treated Ben when he was a rookie"

- Butler and Mundy had strong showings in the 4th quarter. Solid tackling coupled with some big hits.

- Too bad Butler finished up his monster hit by quitting on the next play, thinking he had knocked the ball out of the WRs hands. Play to the whistle!

- Tomlin said the team needed to finish and that's what they did. Pads were really popping.

- Ramon Foster always finishes his blocks. A valuable backup, but I really wish he would get a chance to start at RG.

- Antonio Brown, following Emmanuel Sanders lead, had a really nice block on the second of Dwyer's really long runs.

- Brooks came in late to replace Urbik at RG.

- Sylvester times snaps very well. Gets a good jump.

- Worilds looked a hair better against the run than he did two weeks agp.

Injury Front

As we all know, Leftwich has an MCL sprain. Current timetable is 2-4 weeks. Justin Vincent rolled into Jonathan Scott's ankle. It seemed like he was able to put some pressure on it, but the severity of the injury is unknown. If it's not a high ankle sprain and there isn't any bone damage, we'll be in the clear. Nothing much else to note. Farrior sat out because of his stiches; no concern there. Madison got side swiped early in the game but returned.

Chidi29
09-03-2010, 10:22 PM
Final Roster

This is what would have been my roster after watching the Panthers game. I realize cuts have already been made, but I'm not going to make changes based on those. We'll pretend that they haven't been made known yet.

Projected 53 Man Roster

QB (4) - Ben Roethlisberger (suspension list), Byron Leftwich, Dennis Dixon, Charlie Batch
RB (3) - Rashard Mendenhall, Mewelde Moore, Isaac Redman
FB (1) - David Johnson
WR (6) - Hines Ward, Mike Wallace, Antwaan Randle El, Emmanuel Sanders, Arnaz Battle, Antonio Brown
TE (2) - Heath Miller, Matt Spaeth
LT (2) - Max Starks, Tony Hills
LG (1) - Chris Kemoeatu
C (1) - Maurkice Pouncey
RG (3) - Ramon Foster, Doug Legursky, Trai Essex
RT (2) - Flozell Adams, Jonathan Scott
DE (5) - Aaron Smith, Brett Kiesel, Ziggy Hood, Nick Eason, Sonny Harris
NT (2) - Casey Hampton, Chris Hoke
OLB (4) - James Harrison, LaMarr Woodley, Jason Worilds, Thaddeus Gibson
ILB (5) - James Farrior, Lawrence Timmons, Larry Foote, Keyaron Fox, Renauld Williams
CB (6) - Ike Taylor, Bryant McFadden, William Gay, Keenan Lewis, Joe Burnett, Crezdon Butler
FS (2) - Ryan Clark, Will Allen
SS (2) - Troy Polamalu, Ryan Mundy
K (1) - Jeff Reed
P (1) - Daniel Sepulevda
LS (1) - Greg Warren

Total: 53

Inactives (Typical)

QB (1) - Charlie Batch
WR (1) - Emmanuel Sanders
RG (1) - Trai Essex
OT (1) - Tony Hills
DL (1) - Sonny Harris