PDA

View Full Version : Steelers 18 missed tackles

Shoes
10-13-2015, 09:43 PM
BY JON LEDYARD (http://www.steelersdepot.com/author/jon-ledyard/) OCTOBER 13, 2015 AT 03:51 PM
After a thrilling 24-20 victory over the San Diego Chargers last night, I’ll admit I wasn’t exactly looking forward to continuing to shine light on an overarching negative theme of the Pittsburgh Steelers season, but missed tackles were again a major issues on Monday night.
Here’s the individual breakdown of the Steelers 18 missed tackles, the second-most they’ve had in a game this season:

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/10/steelers-missed-tackle-breakdown-week-5/

Count Steeler
10-13-2015, 09:48 PM
Still an area of major concern. Can't they bring in Lambert for some sessions?

86WARD
10-14-2015, 01:34 AM
Something that needs to be addressed. San Diego looked like great tacklers compared to what Pittsburgh was putting out there.

zulater
10-14-2015, 05:17 AM
Something that needs to be addressed. San Diego looked like great tacklers compared to what Pittsburgh was putting out there.

Probably true, but sometime it's a matter of perspective.

When LeVeon runs through a would be tackler it's "way to make them miss!"

When their guy does it, "how the hell did he miss that tackle?" :doh:

86WARD
10-14-2015, 05:57 AM
Probably true, but sometime it's a matter of perspective.

When LeVeon runs through a would be tackler it's "way to make them miss!"

When their guy does it, "how the hell did he miss that tackle?" :doh:

Personally, I don't look at it that way. If a player lays a hand on the ball carrier and has a chance to make a play, that's a missed tackle to me. If a guy just gets juked, I don't count that as a missed tackle in my book. The guy just got the shit juked out of him...lol.

SteelerFanInStl
10-14-2015, 07:19 AM
Blake is terrible. He can't cover anyone and can't tackle. 1 interception doesn't make up for all of his mistakes. Gay needs to be moved back outside with Boykin in the slot.

86WARD
10-14-2015, 07:40 AM
Who is Boykin? Maybe he needs a thread dedicated to him?

Steelman
10-14-2015, 09:03 AM
It's one thing if guys are being out-muscled by opposing RB's and WR's, but if our guys are completely whiffing on tackles, that's just unacceptable. (Read: Blake)

:stirthepot: :lol:

Merchant
10-14-2015, 09:16 AM
Blake is an atrocious tackler, although I'll give him credit for the Pick 6ix. Joey Porter needs to have a session with him.

tube517
10-14-2015, 09:19 AM

:iagree::couch::pop2:

Mojouw
10-14-2015, 09:22 AM
Timmons only has one less missed tackle than Blake. Not what you want from a Pro Bowl ILB in a 3-4. He needs to get that corrected. I'll give him a bit of the benefit of the doubt - due to more opportunity at the LB level.

But our secondary flat out can't tackle. At this point play Shamarko, we know he can hit people.

Looking at each players tackles+assists in Pro Football reference, we can generate this sad and sorry set of statistics:

Timmons 11 missed tackles and 25 tackles (not counting assists). So that means he is 25/36 = 69% of the time he attempts a tackle, he brings the guy down.
Allen 10 missed tackles and 24 tackles (not counting assists). So that means he is 24/34 = 71 % of the time he attempts a tackle, he brings the guy down.
Blake 12 missed tackles and 19 tackles (not counting assists). So that means he is 19/31 = 62% of the time he attempts a tackle, he brings the guy down.
Mitchell 3 missed tackles and 21 tackles (not counting assists). So that means he is 21/24 = 88% of the time he attempts a tackle, he brings the guy down.

Other than Mitchell, that is a bunch of missed tackles right down the spine of the defense.

Psycho Ward 86
10-14-2015, 09:28 AM
for timmons, it better be that turf toe. hope it isnt a problem all season

Merchant
10-14-2015, 09:45 AM
Man we need Shazier back in there badly. I don't think I saw him miss one tackle in that San Fran game.

Steeldude
10-14-2015, 10:11 AM
Man we need Shazier back in there badly. I don't think I saw him miss one tackle in that San Fran game.

I thought there was an article say he missed 3 or 4 tackles.

There aren't many on the team who know how to tackle. The problem won't be corrected this season because it was never corrected in prior seasons.

Moose
10-14-2015, 11:12 AM
Personally, I don't look at it that way. If a player lays a hand on the ball carrier and has a chance to make a play, that's a missed tackle to me. If a guy just gets juked, I don't count that as a missed tackle in my book. The guy just got the shit juked out of him...lol.

I agree totally ! I too feel that if you can touch him you can tackle him. There were alot of missed tackles in S.D. game, sometimes more than one. Being juked is just being juked.

tube517
10-14-2015, 01:42 PM
Timmons only has one less missed tackle than Blake. Not what you want from a Pro Bowl ILB in a 3-4. He needs to get that corrected. I'll give him a bit of the benefit of the doubt - due to more opportunity at the LB level.

But our secondary flat out can't tackle. At this point play Shamarko, we know he can hit people.

Looking at each players tackles+assists in Pro Football reference, we can generate this sad and sorry set of statistics:

Timmons 11 missed tackles and 25 tackles (not counting assists). So that means he is 25/36 = 69% of the time he attempts a tackle, he brings the guy down.
Allen 10 missed tackles and 24 tackles (not counting assists). So that means he is 24/34 = 71 % of the time he attempts a tackle, he brings the guy down.
Blake 12 missed tackles and 19 tackles (not counting assists). So that means he is 19/31 = 62% of the time he attempts a tackle, he brings the guy down.
Mitchell 3 missed tackles and 21 tackles (not counting assists). So that means he is 21/24 = 88% of the time he attempts a tackle, he brings the guy down.

Other than Mitchell, that is a bunch of missed tackles right down the spine of the defense.

What were Spence's stats? He led the team with 8 solo tackles