PDA

View Full Version : Who is Steeler's MVP; Ben, Bell or Brown?

StillCurtains
10-13-2015, 03:49 PM
After watching last night's game, this really came into question for me for just a half second.
The top guy here really has no challenger when it comes to this IMO.

#1-Big Ben- He's my easy choice. He can't be replaced. He is the motor of this offense, and no matter who is under center when he's down, our offense looks dramaticaly different. He's also the seasoned General, our Leader.

#2- (tied) Bell & Brown- It's amazing what Bell does to this offense. He's the meat and potatoes with your best side order. His combination of size, agility, power, vision, cut ability, and receiving skills are second to none. His ball security is a double bonus. He's clearly the best back in the league. Williams is a good fill in, but Bell is a matchup nightmare.
As for AB I think he's equally important. Don't be fooled by the lack of chemistry between him and Vick, this is the best and most dynamic receiver in the game.

It appeared that Varrett shut him down, but he had over the top help and Vick's lack of chemistry and accuracy doesn't help his case. Without him on the field the offense would truly suffer. His combination of speed, route tree, quickness, elusiveness, cut back ability and RB vision make him uncoverable. You can also add the fact that he's a good jump ball receiver for being only 5'10. Without AB, our other guys will rarely get open. They're complimentary to him.

#3- I'd like to add Bryant here for good measure but just for offensive purposes. If Bell and Brown are the meal, this guy is the dessert. He's an absolute freak with his combination of size and speed. He's deceptively fast, and has decent route running. He has good hands and can high point the ball. He's an explossive play waiting to happen. With Wheaton and Hey Bey stepping up their games, adding this guy in the mix makes this offense virtually unstoppable.

zulater
10-13-2015, 03:59 PM
In order, but very close...
1. Ben. They can win games without him, but have no hope of winning a playoff game let alone a Super bowl without him.

1A. Bell. This a virtual dead heat. LeVeon is inarguably the best running back in the NFL.

3. AB. AB is great, but he needs t be in sync with his qb to be great. Ben and Bell can rise above a mediocre supporting cast. The offensive line can miss their blocks and Bell can make something out of nothing, as he often does. Ben has proven time and again that he can go off script and make something out of nothing. If these last games have proved nothing else they've proved that AB is dependent on having an exceptional qb to show his greatness. Not a knock on the guy, just an observation.

TeeTee
10-13-2015, 04:23 PM
It's Ben and it's not even close. Bell is amazing, but Ben is still much more important to the success of the team. Same goes with Brown. Without Ben, Brown becomes just another guy, which is crazy considering how insanely productive AB is with Ben in there.

SteelerFanInStl
10-13-2015, 04:29 PM
No question that it's Ben. This is one of the best offenses in the NFL (maybe #1) when Ben is healthy. Without him, it's nothing more than average at best.

polamalubeast
10-13-2015, 04:34 PM
This is easily Ben since he is the QB and with Vick,the steelers have no passing game and Bell and Brown are invisible as receiver with Vick.

Bell is very important, but if he is out, at least we have Williams.Last year, Bell was more important because it was Harris as backup.

86WARD
10-13-2015, 05:02 PM
Ben

StillCurtains
10-13-2015, 05:02 PM
It's Ben and it's not even close. Bell is amazing, but Ben is still much more important to the success of the team. Same goes with Brown. Without Ben, Brown becomes just another guy, which is crazy considering how insanely productive AB is with Ben in there.

Mmmhmm,

It just goes to show how wildly underrated Ben is. The guy just saved us the game by taking over for inept Haley. You can see how the entire team rallies around him. Ben coming up with that call shows his leadership and unselfishness for the team and Ben was the first guy mentioned. I wouldn't rather have any other QB than Ben.

StillCurtains
10-13-2015, 05:32 PM
In order, but very close...
1. Ben. They can win games without him, but have no hope of winning a playoff game let alone a Super bowl without him.

1A. Bell. This a virtual dead heat. LeVeon is inarguably the best running back in the NFL.

3. AB. AB is great, but he needs t be in sync with his qb to be great. Ben and Bell can rise above a mediocre supporting cast. The offensive line can miss their blocks and Bell can make something out of nothing, as he often does. Ben has proven time and again that he can go off script and make something out of nothing. If these last games have proved nothing else they've proved that AB is dependent on having an exceptional qb to show his greatness. Not a knock on the guy, just an observation.

You make some valid points and I know you're not trying to knock AB, but AB's situation is much different to that of Ben or Bell. You have to consider that the ball is in Ben's hands every play. Bell would have the second most touches being the RB. Brown being a WR however, his touches are limited. Ben is definately the MVP. His play speaks for itself.

With Bell, there is very little adjustment he has to make from Ben to Vick. Not only does he get more touches, but a handoff is a high percentage play. So really, the main adjustment that has to be made is Ben's right hand handoff, to Vick's left hand handoff. Bell is fantastic and makes many plays out of nothing as you said when the line even collapses. The difference is though is that he already has the ball to make a play.

With AB it's not that easy. AB is totally dependent on being in sync with the QB. You have to also take into account that defenses are smart enough to take out a player like AB if they know a backup QB is in there. The timing must be right and the chemistry must be there. Unlike a RB, a WR has no control over what type of pass he will get. It needs to be in his radius to make the play. A handoff is much easier. If you notice, AB had no issues with Batch, Leftwich, and Gradkowski. The main reason there were no issues is because they were already on the team and from camp and here several years, but Vick was not. AB's return ability shows what he can do with the ball in his hands, but if the QB struggles with the playbook, or even their delivery to a Wr, The Wr suffers immensely.

I'm not knocking your points. If you disagree that's cool. I don't feel all I say is right and others may disagree as well.

ALLD
10-13-2015, 05:54 PM
Ben is the MVP and the best OC on the team.

j-d-s
10-13-2015, 06:04 PM
I think if you weigh in the impact of the position and which impact the position normally has, I am going to say Bell. Bell is a game-changer at RB. Ben is a great QB, but QB is naturally the most important position of football, any team would not do well with their backup QB. And AB is obviously dependent on who throws to him. You can't expect him to put up big numbers if Mike Vick is throwing to him.

TeeTee
10-13-2015, 06:05 PM
No question that it's Ben. This is one of the best offenses in the NFL (maybe #1) when Ben is healthy. Without him, it's nothing more than average at best.

What we saw last night was no where near an average offense. It's nearly completely defunct, listless and lifeless until the final drive.

zulater
10-13-2015, 06:05 PM
You make some valid points and I know you're not trying to knock AB, but AB's situation is much different to that of Ben or Bell. You have to consider that the ball is in Ben's hands every play. Bell would have the second most touches being the RB. Brown being a WR however, his touches are limited. Ben is definately the MVP. His play speaks for itself.

With Bell, there is very little adjustment he has to make from Ben to Vick. Not only does he get more touches, but a handoff is a high percentage play. So really, the main adjustment that has to be made is Ben's right hand handoff, to Vick's left hand handoff. Bell is fantastic and makes many plays out of nothing as you said when the line even collapses. The difference is though is that he already has the ball to make a play.

With AB it's not that easy. AB is totally dependent on being in sync with the QB. You have to also take into account that defenses are smart enough to take out a player like AB if they know a backup QB is in there. The timing must be right and the chemistry must be there. Unlike a RB, a WR has no control over what type of pass he will get. It needs to be in his radius to make the play. A handoff is much easier. If you notice, AB had no issues with Batch, Leftwich, and Gradkowski. The main reason there were no issues is because they were already on the team and from camp and here several years, but Vick was not. AB's return ability shows what he can do with the ball in his hands, but if the QB struggles with the playbook, or even their delivery to a Wr, The Wr suffers immensely.

I'm not knocking your points. If you disagree that's cool. I don't feel all I say is right and others may disagree as well.

You make good points. But I disagree slightly. In regards to AB. I think he would be a very good receiver on any team. I think given time he and Vick would sync up to the point he would be an above average receiver. But to be a superstar he needs an elite qb imo. A lot of times when AB is making plays he's not beating coverage, a lot of times he's being thrown open by Ben. Now I'm not trying to diminish those plays, because those plays come about because of his hard work and attention to detail. It's amazing in a sense the tight windows Ben delivers the ball to him in. And the way he uses the sidelines is equally amazing. But give him say a Matt Stafford as his qb and I don't think he's a sure fire super star. I think guys like Dez Bryant and Megatron can flourish with these type of qb's whereas I don;t think AB could.

All that said I don't think Dez Bryant could come to Pittsburgh and be as good as AB is here. AB is great because of attention to detail and how tuned into Ben he is. To me comparable players to AB in a historical context would be Fred Biletnikoff, Raymond Berry, or Hines Ward. All guys who while atheltically gifted all had built in limitations be it size ( AB) speed ( Biletnikoff) or lack of an MCL (Ward) but made themselves great due to hard work and being on the right team at the right time.

Steelman
10-13-2015, 06:41 PM
You make good points. But I disagree slightly. In regards to AB. I think he would be a very good receiver on any team. I think given time he and Vick would sync up to the point he would be an above average receiver. But to be a superstar he needs an elite qb imo. A lot of times when AB is making plays he's not beating coverage, a lot of times he's being thrown open by Ben. Now I'm not trying to diminish those plays, because those plays come about because of his hard work and attention to detail. It's amazing in a sense the tight windows Ben delivers the ball to him in. And the way he uses the sidelines is equally amazing. But give him say a Matt Stafford as his qb and I don't think he's a sure fire super star. I think guys like Dez Bryant and Megatron can flourish with these type of qb's whereas I don;t think AB could.

All that said I don't think Dez Bryant could come to Pittsburgh and be as good as AB is here. AB is great because of attention to detail and how tuned into Ben he is. To me comparable players to AB in a historical context would be Fred Biletnikoff, Raymond Berry, or Hines Ward. All guys who while atheltically gifted all had built in limitations be it size ( AB) speed ( Biletnikoff) or lack of an MCL (Ward) but made themselves great due to hard work and being on the right team at the right time.

This is a little off topic from the OP, but your analysis of AB reminded me of how good I think DeAndre Hopkins is for the Texans...think about the quarterbacks he's had to play for and the numbers he's put up. Granted he gets a high number of targets but the dude produces at a crazy high level with crappy QB play.

Anyways sorry, carry on. :party:

Basically that sways my vote to Bell being 2a and AB being 2b behind Ben.

teegre
10-13-2015, 06:46 PM
1. BB

2. BB

3. BB

4. Bell

5. AB

StillCurtains
10-13-2015, 09:31 PM

Fair enough, but what a heart stopper last night huh? Dude, if we can hang on until Ben gets back, this team is going to be a freakin machine. Their showing alot of mental toughness through adversity. The defense can get better, but their definately no longer soft. They are playing nasty and will only get better if Shazier can stay on the field. With Wheaton showing he's a threat, Hey Bey stepping up making crucial plays, and Williams being starting material, this team is going to be much stronger and dangerous at full strength.

SteelerFanInStl
10-14-2015, 07:34 AM
What we saw last night was no where near an average offense. It's nearly completely defunct, listless and lifeless until the final drive.
Like i said, "average at best". This offense hasn't come close to performing up to their abilities without Ben. I blame most of that on Haley with Vick also to blame.

steel striker
10-15-2015, 01:52 PM
No doubt it's Ben hands down!

st33lersguy
10-15-2015, 03:46 PM
Ben is the team MVP, world's of difference between when Ben is contributing and when he isn't. Let's not forget, the game Pittsburgh won without Ben starting, he drew up the critical 72 yard TD bomb. Bell is close behind him, the way he has come up big with 2 100 yard performances in Ben's absence.

AB can't be the MVP, given that Bell has stepped up and been his usual productive self and AB has not. Plus I haven't forgotten his dropped TD in the endzone