PDA

View Full Version : Coaching perspective: McCoy vs. Tomlin

teegre
10-13-2015, 01:52 PM
I was listening to San Diego sports talk radio, and overwhelmingly, they were praising Tomlin.

Let that sink in...

One we station stated that Tomlin outcoached McCoy. A second station said that Tomlin was one of the better coaches in the NFL. A talking head on a third station averred that Tomlin is his favorite coach in the NFL.

Heck, even Dan Le Betard was saying that only two or three other coaches would have had enough balls to go for the TD on the final play.

SUMMATION:
Sometimes, an outside perspective helps put things into proper perspective.,

Discuss...

hawaiiansteeler
10-13-2015, 01:57 PM
WINNERS:

Mike Tomlin: Many wanted to criticize the captain of the ship for the Steelers' loss last week, saying that he deserved all of the blame for the loss. But if you were part of that group, then you'd better give Tomlin credit this week. Especially in terms of clock management during the second half, Tomlin seemed to manage his team well in San Diego. He extended his Monday Night Football record to 10-2 in his time with Pittsburgh and his team recorded a major victory despite missing their starting quarterback, center, inside linebacker, No. 2 wide receiver, etc. Tomlin often says, "we do not live in our fears," and on their final drive they showed no fear when they put it all on the line and forgot about a field goal in going for the finishing touchdown and the win.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/steelers-2015-preview-regular-season-news-updates-roster-depth-chart-salary-cap-tickets-san-diego-chargers-how-to-watch/2015/10/13/9516669/pittsburgh-steelers-vs-san-diego-chargers-winners-and-losers

Count Steeler
10-13-2015, 02:00 PM
Leave Tomlin alone. He is ours and it is our right to fire him and hate him with every loss, check that, every decision.

Kudos for sticking to his guns and going for the TD. Now don't screw up again!

teegre
10-13-2015, 02:01 PM
Leave Tomlin alone. He is ours and it is our right to fire him and hate him with every loss, check that, every decision.

Kudos for sticking to his guns and going for the TD. Now don't screw up again!

1st down goes for 8 yards.

Could have been 9.

:wink02:

Steelman
10-13-2015, 02:04 PM
These are the Chargers we're talking about. If Ben had played in this game it would have been a blowout minus the obligatory touchdown allowed to the TE and there wouldn't be any talk of Tomlin having balls the size of meteors.

I also think it's easy to praise Tomlin on a week where one of his gut instinct decisions worked out in the best way possible in what was a very ugly game.

But to your point, I guess in the perspective of all 32 franchises, we've got it pretty good or at least above league average.

Count Steeler
10-13-2015, 02:04 PM
1st down goes for 8 yards.

Could have been 9.

:wink02:

What do you mean? It should have been a 80 yard TD bomb (assuming Archer did his job correctly and took a knee) to Brown along the left side line. Rinse, repeat. Remember, every play CAN be a TD!

Rotorhead
10-13-2015, 02:14 PM
I was in the kick it camp for sure, especially after they lined up in the wildcat again after the time out. I was screaming call TO call TO as soon as it looked like Bell was getting stuffed, but it worked. Looking back it was the right decision knowing our def was toast after the night and our offense was barely there. I am glad he went for it. We needed that victory for sure.

As for Tomlin, the only issue I have with him is the lack of motivation our team seems to have at times. It drives me crazy to see our team come out flat most games (this one included). I know some of that lies with our vets, but damn, go take some motivational speaking classes or something, get those guys pumped for the game!

tube517
10-13-2015, 02:35 PM
Charger fans love Oakleys! :chuckle:

teegre
10-13-2015, 03:09 PM
What do you mean? It should have been a 80 yard TD bomb (assuming Archer did his job correctly and took a knee) to Brown along the left side line. Rinse, repeat. Remember, every play CAN be a TD!

60 plays on offense (average) x 8 points (touchdown + two-point conversion) = 480 ppg

60 plays on defense (average) x 8 points (pick six + two-point conversion) = 480 ppg

960 ppg does seem a tad high. I'll accept an even 900 ppg.

fansince'76
10-13-2015, 04:17 PM
The coolest shades in the league!

http://www.clipartbest.com/cliparts/9T4/bk4/9T4bk4arc.jpeg

:chuckle:

86WARD
10-13-2015, 06:22 PM
Tomlin does and says some things sometimes that really make me like him and then other times he does or doesn't do some shit and makes me hate him...

teegre
10-13-2015, 06:28 PM
Tomlin does and says some things sometimes that really make me like him and then other times he does or doesn't do some shit and makes me hate him...

Let me use my family as a reference for this question:

Did you like him after weeks 2, 3, & 5?... and, hate him after weeks 1 & 4? :wink02:

86WARD
10-13-2015, 07:18 PM
That's the thing...the wins and losses have nothing to do with it. Sure hey help a little bit...but it's more or less what he does in the game that week regardless of outcome...except this week...

StillCurtains
10-13-2015, 07:20 PM
Let me use my family as a reference for this question:

Did you like him after weeks 2, 3, & 5?... and, hate him after weeks 1 & 4? :wink02:

Well it's crazy! Week 1 besides Scobee part 1, We go Jumbo package on 2 goal line trips. Williams has 127 yards rushing, then doesn't touch the ball on any of them. They get the ball to Johnson. Loss

Week 2 goaline several times in spread formation and 1 back set. Williams gets the ball and 3 TD's on the day. The Jumbo was not used. Total opposite of week 1. Win

Week 3 total crap job on the OLine against the Rams front. Defense comes up big. Will Allen with the pick. Win

(Week 4 and 5 will look very similar to 1 and 2)

Week 4 Of course besides the debacle of Scobee part 2. Bell 129 yards rushing. Have a chance to win in regulation then an errant pass to AB. Faced with a chance to end it in OT, we have an empty back set with Vick on 4th and short.
Our 129 yard rusher never touches the ball on either play. Loss

Week 5 1st and goal from the San Diego 1 yard line with 5 seconds left. Bell gets the ball. Touchdown... Win
Totally different from the decision in week 4.

Tomlin deserves credit for going for the win. He also deserves credit for what I'm sure he made it known to Haley to get Bell the ball.

Tomlin made the postgame remark that you have to get the ball to Bell. So with that remark, I know he said it to Haley.

So here's the question: Was Tomlin displeased with Haley that Bell didn't get the ball in week 4, then had it corrected in week 5?

Also, Was Tomlin displeased with the Jumbo package in goal line in week 1 giving it to Johnson, then have it corrected in week 2 with a spread formation giving it to Williams for 3 TD's.

If this is true, then why would Haley be so inept at his job that Tomlin has to correct him every week? It's not that hard. He runs wildcat with Bell, Vick, and Williams this week for 3 and a half quarters, but in week 4 he goes empty back set one of the last 2 possesions without Bell getting the ball once!

Wildcat could have worked well on one of those possesions last week making Baltimore wonder who will get it, Bell, Williams or Vick.

Why is Haley running something stupid one week, then turn around and run what he should have ran at least once the previous week on the following week! Geez don't know? You got any answers? Please tell me something!!!

teegre
10-13-2015, 07:22 PM
That's the thing...the wins and losses have nothing to do with it. Sure hey help a little bit...but it's more or less what he does in the game that week regardless of outcome...except this week...

My mom can't stand him... any week. But, she loves him today.

86WARD
10-13-2015, 07:24 PM
With the blockin that occurred, even I'd Bell had the ball on 4th & 2 against Baltimore, he wouldn't have made it. They ran a similar play last night and the blocking was just as bad and Bell got stuffed.

hawaiiansteeler
10-13-2015, 07:27 PM
My mom can't stand him... any week.

how come?

teegre
10-13-2015, 07:29 PM
Well it's crazy! Week 1 besides Scobee part 1, We go Jumbo package on 2 goal line trips. Williams has 127 yards rushing, then doesn't touch the ball on any of them. They get the ball to Johnson. Loss

Week 2 goaline several times in spread formation and 1 back set. Williams gets the ball and 3 TD's on the day. The Jumbo was not used. Total opposite of week 1. Win

Week 3 total crap job on the OLine against the Rams front. Defense comes up big. Will Allen with the pick. Win

(Week 4 and 5 will look very similar to 1 and 2)

Week 4 Of course besides the debacle of Scobee part 2. Bell 129 yards rushing. Have a chance to win in regulation then an errant pass to AB. Faced with a chance to end it in OT, we have an empty back set with Vick on 4th and short.
Our 129 yard rusher never touches the ball on either play. Loss

Week 5 1st and goal from the San Diego 1 yard line with 5 seconds left. Bell gets the ball. Touchdown... Win
Totally different from the decision in week 4.

Tomlin deserves credit for going for the win. He also deserves credit for what I'm sure he made it known to Haley to get Bell the ball.

Tomlin made the postgame remark that you have to get the ball to Bell. So with that remark, I know he said it to Haley.

So here's the question: Was Tomlin displeased with Haley that Bell didn't get the ball in week 4, then had it corrected in week 5?

Also, Was Tomlin displeased with the Jumbo package in goal line in week 1 giving it to Johnson, then have it corrected in week 2 with a spread formation giving it to Williams for 3 TD's.

If this is true, then why would Haley be so inept at his job that Tomlin has to correct him every week? It's not that hard. He runs wildcat with Bell, Vick, and Williams this week for 3 and a half quarters, but in week 4 he goes empty back set one of the last 2 possesions without Bell getting the ball once!

Wildcat could have worked well on one of those possesions last week making Baltimore wonder who will get it, Bell, Williams or Vick.

Why is Haley running something stupid one week, then turn around and run what he should have ran at least once the previous week on the following week! Geez don't know? You got any answers? Please tell me something!!!

Here are my thoughts:

Haley likes to get cute, and Tomlin reins him in.

Usually, we don't notice it very much, because those "cute" plays end up as FGs. It sucks not getting a TD, but a FG is not a backbreaker.

The missed FGs changed that/made everyone notice it more, because cute became backbreaking (ZERO points).

teegre
10-13-2015, 07:34 PM
how come?

Good question.

I'm not sure that she even knows. IMO it's because she loved Cowher, and thus, anything & everything that Tomlin does is simply "wrong."

My dad was the same way with Cowher. He loved Noll, and thus, anything & everything that Cowher did was simply "wrong."

StillCurtains
10-13-2015, 07:34 PM
Exactly, and that's why Ben had to take over the calls....Geez!!!

teegre
10-13-2015, 07:36 PM
Exactly, and that's why Ben had to take over the calls....Geez!!!

Yep

hawaiiansteeler
10-13-2015, 07:54 PM
Good question.

I'm not sure that she even knows. IMO it's because she loved Cowher, and thus, anything & everything that Tomlin does is simply "wrong."

My dad was the same way with Cowher. He loved Noll, and thus, anything & everything that Cowher did was simply "wrong."

sounds like Cowher retiring was good for your parents' marriage...:wink02:

teegre
10-13-2015, 08:22 PM
sounds like Cowher retiring was good for your parents' marriage...:wink02:

That explains the second Honeymoon in 2006. :lol:

fansince'76
10-13-2015, 08:57 PM

Noll would not have approved of Cowher's "rah rah" style, I don't think.

teegre
10-13-2015, 09:06 PM

Exactly. Different ways of getting the same results.

Well... 1/4 of the same results. :chuckle:

Mojouw
10-14-2015, 09:30 AM
If you all watched any other team for about 3 weeks as closely as you all watched the Steelers, you would see the same coaching problems in every NFL staff as we all stomp and moan about here. Honestly, on most it would be far far worse.

Did anyone hear what Brees said about the offensive coordinator in Detroit? Golden Tate claimed the Saints knew the Lions plays and was wondering about signals or something. Brees stated that it wasn't that they knew the signals or anything strange, it was simply that the offense in Detroit is so predictable that Brees estimates that 75% of the time the Saints could predict the EXACT play the Lions would run based on down and distance and the players in the huddle. That is what bad coaching looks like.

Tomlin and company are a better coaching staff than 2/3 of the league, hands down on any given Sunday.

tube517
10-14-2015, 09:36 AM

Nope. Noll would have told stories about a deer and confused everyone and Rocky will take 3 hours to explain what just happened. Mike Wagner and Dwight White would be like WTF??? :chuckle:

teegre
10-14-2015, 09:54 AM
If you all watched any other team for about 3 weeks as closely as you all watched the Steelers, you would see the same coaching problems in every NFL staff as we all stomp and moan about here. Honestly, on most it would be far far worse.

Did anyone hear what Brees said about the offensive coordinator in Detroit? Golden Tate claimed the Saints knew the Lions plays and was wondering about signals or something. Brees stated that it wasn't that they knew the signals or anything strange, it was simply that the offense in Detroit is so predictable that Brees estimates that 75% of the time the Saints could predict the EXACT play the Lions would run based on down and distance and the players in the huddle. That is what bad coaching looks like.

Tomlin and company are a better coaching staff than 2/3 of the league, hands down on any given Sunday.

Exactly.

The grass is not always greener... and, when it is, it's usually over the septic tank.