PDA

View Full Version : PFF: No Player Has Been Better Than Heyward Last 2 Weeks

polamalubeast
10-13-2015, 11:23 AM
While Monday Night Football brought us plenty of storylines (Michael Vick’s poor play, then really high finish, Le’Veon Bell’s game-winning rush, the return of Antonio Gates, etc.), it would be a crime not to mention the outstanding play of Steelers’ defensive end Cameron Heyward. Heyward earned a league-high grade of +9.8 in Week 5, on the heels of a +7.5 grade against Baltimore in Week 4.

Against the Chargers, Heyward posted 11 total QB pressures (two hits, nine hurries), giving him the best pass-rush grade for a defensive end (+6.6).

Heyward, a 2011 first-round pick out of Ohio State, now ranks only behind Houston’s J.J. Watt for the top 3-4 DE spot.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/10/13/10-things-you-need-to-know-from-nfl-week-5/

Psycho Ward 86
10-13-2015, 12:19 PM
and to think, Tuitt is on the fast track to being probably even better. These 2 have been fun to watch

hawaiiansteeler
10-13-2015, 12:41 PM
I agree, Heyward has been very "solid"...

86WARD
10-13-2015, 12:42 PM
But not "Jarvis Jones Solid."

Merchant
10-13-2015, 12:45 PM
Wow. That's truly something to be 2nd best to JJ Watt. Nice to see Ironhead's kid getting the recognition he deserves :thumbsup:

hawaiiansteeler
10-13-2015, 12:45 PM
But not "Jarvis Jones Solid."

come on, now you're asking for the sun, moon and stars...

Count Steeler
10-13-2015, 01:15 PM
It really is a pleasure to watch Heyward. Loved the bull rush when he pushed the guard (not the center, ESPN numb nuts) right into Rivers.

Also amazes with his conditioning. Almost 90% of the snaps and in the 4th quarter in those conditions, still performing at his level. Extraordinary.

teegre
10-13-2015, 01:34 PM
and to think, Tuitt is on the fast track to being probably even better. These 2 have been fun to watch

As I've posted nearly fifty times...

By the end of the season, Tuitt & Heyward will be the best DE tandem in the NFL, and they will remain there for a good four seasons.

NOTE: The Chargers fans were all asking, "Who are 91 and 97??? Those guys are monsters!!!"

Count Steeler
10-13-2015, 01:44 PM

By the end of the season, Tuitt & Heyward will be the best DE tandem in the NFL, and they will remain there for a good four seasons.

NOTE: The Chargers fans were all asking, "Who are 91 and 97??? Those guys are monsters!!!"

Not so sure it will take till end of season any more. I think Heyward is there and Tuitt is not far behind. I was actually pleased to see that Thomas and McLendon came in to give them a breather and they didn't completely stink up the joint. Maybe Thomas played his best because he was in San Diego. But his best is still not close to the standard.

teegre
10-13-2015, 01:46 PM
they didn't completely stink up the joint. Maybe Thomas played his best because he was in San Diego. But his best is still not close to the standard.

The SD fans were pointing and laughing at him. "Oh snap, it's Cam Thomas... ha, ha, ha!!!"

So, YES, I think that he was very motivated.

Steelman
10-13-2015, 01:48 PM

As good as Heyward is, I agree. Tuitt is going to be a monster.

Nice to see Heyward getting some recognition though.

ALLD
10-13-2015, 02:44 PM
Ghost of the Steel Curtain.

http://d8bixwancjkpp.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/steelcurtainbanner.jpg

zulater
10-13-2015, 04:13 PM
Colbert gets slammed for the poor picks. But how often does anyone credit him for the good ones? Cam Heyward is a beast. Tremendous value where they took him. Same for Tuitt. If we can shore up the secondary in the next few drafts this will be a great defense. The front 7 is young and very able. Well we could use a good nose tackle I suppose. But hey no one's perfect :lol:

dislocatedday
10-13-2015, 04:21 PM

I was trying to remember who here predicted that Heyward and Tuitt would become the best DE tandem in the league, and it was you.

I think they might be able to make the case that even right now they are the best tandem......certainly the best 3-4 DE end tandem.

If this team could ever get Shazier to stay healthy than last year's 1-2 draft punch of Shazier and Tuitt will be one one of the best pair of top picks the Steelers have had in a long time.

Mojouw
10-13-2015, 04:21 PM
Remember when everyone was pissed that we took Tuitt and Nix?

Tuitt is on his way to being a beast and Nix is nailed to the bench with his second team. Granted injuries have been a major concern - but still.

With the benefit of some perspective, which player looks like a better pick? The three down man-child wrecking machine, or the 2 down run stuffer?

Count Steeler
10-13-2015, 04:24 PM
I watched Tuitt at Notre Dame and I was hoping he would somehow become a Steeler. Usually doesn't happen. I also wanted Tyler Eiffert. I was very pleased with the pick.

Steelman
10-13-2015, 04:32 PM

Tuitt is on his way to being a beast and Nix is nailed to the bench with his second team. Granted injuries have been a major concern - but still.

With the benefit of some perspective, which player looks like a better pick? The three down man-child wrecking machine, or the 2 down run stuffer?

Not me...I was holding my breath in fear that they would draft Nix or someone else instead of Tuitt there, I was ecstatic when they got him.

I was never sold on Nix, but has definitely contributed much less than I expected, especially originally with the Texans.

teegre
10-13-2015, 04:48 PM
Colbert gets slammed for the poor picks. But how often does anyone credit him for the good ones? Cam Heyward is a beast. Tremendous value where they took him. Same for Tuitt. If we can shore up the secondary in the next few drafts this will be a great defense. The front 7 is young and very able. Well we could use a good nose tackle I suppose. But hey no one's perfect :lol:

Excellent post

- - - Updated - - -

I was trying to remember who here predicted that Heyward and Tuitt would become the best DE tandem in the league, and it was you.

I think they might be able to make the case that even right now they are the best tandem......certainly the best 3-4 DE end tandem.

If this team could ever get Shazier to stay healthy than last year's 1-2 draft punch of Shazier and Tuitt will be one one of the best pair of top picks the Steelers have had in a long time.

Another excellent post

- - - Updated - - -

I was not here, but I wanted both Tuitt and Nix.

I was right about Tuitt, but wrong about Nix.

(Bucannon, Tuitt, Nix was my "perfect" draft.)

Count Steeler
10-13-2015, 04:50 PM

He did try to address this draft, unfortunately 1 got hurt and the other 2 didn't pan out. Still don't understand the Boykin situation, but he brought in extra help for the secondary.