PDA

View Full Version : Was Shamarko Thomas Improperly Ruled Down By Contact After Fumble Recovery?

Shoes
10-13-2015, 07:24 AM
BY DAVE BRYAN (http://www.steelersdepot.com/author/davebryan/) OCTOBER 13, 2015 AT 01:57 AM
It was a rough Monday night for the officiating crew in the Pittsburgh Steelers 24-20 win over the San Diego Chargers as not only did they screw up the game clock on the final kickoff (http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/10/steelers-shorted-18-seconds-on-chargers-final-kickoff/) of the game, they also shorted the visiting team a potential touchdown return of a third quarter fumble.
During the Chargers opening possession of the second half, running back Melvin Gordon fumbled on a 3rd and 1 run and safety Shamarko Thomas corralled the loose football while on the ground. Thomas, however, was never touched down by Gordon while prone over the football and as he got up to run with it, line judge Sarah Thomas, the NFL’s first full time NFL female official, blew the play dead as she ran in from the far sideline.
Referee Peter Morelli then announced to the crowd that the ruling on the field was a Chargers fumble and that Thomas was marked down by contact after recovering the loose ball.
As you can see in the replay below, Gordon indeed looks like he never touched Shamarko Thomas down. The play, of course, couldn’t be challenged.
Earlier in the game, Sarah Thomas had a quick whistle on a run by Le’Veon Bell. To her credit, however, she was the one who ruled that Bell crossed the goal-line for the game-winning score on the game’s final play. That play, as expected, was reviewed and it was obvious that she made the right call.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/10/was-shamarko-thomas-improperly-ruled-down-by-contact-after-fumble-recovery/

EzraTank
10-13-2015, 08:48 AM
She also blew a play dead when Bell was clearly still pushing a pile forward. Not that this has anything to do with her gender, just her experience.

But she also called Bell in for the winning TD so I love her! ;)

Steelman
10-13-2015, 08:51 AM
I think I was just happy that Mr. Solid and Mr. Shithead had made a splash play that I was willing to overlook the officiating mistake, but yeah that should have been a touchdown or at least a longer return. Sarah had an early whistle most of the game.

Texasteel
10-13-2015, 10:22 AM
I don't what the young lady punished for what I thought was poor officiating. How ever, I do hope someone talks to her about the mistakes she did make during the game.

After all, I have seen the male officials made calls that were just as bad, or worse, than the one she made.

Rotorhead
10-13-2015, 10:39 AM
I was wondering about blowing the running play dead when Bell was still moving forward on that run. As for the fumble, of all the stupid plays that can be reviewed, that is one that should be, that is a game changing play after all.

steel striker
10-13-2015, 10:42 AM
Yeah thought the same thing on the fumble recovery by Thomas funny how the clueless anouncers did not even mention this MNF BSPN.

steelreserve
10-13-2015, 10:59 AM
It looked to me like he made contact with the guy while the ball was coming out, then scrambled around on the ground and picked up the fumble without being touched. Probably shouldn't have ruled him down, but it's easy to see how you could watch the play at live speed and think that. Mainly, I'm glad they got the fumble call right.

86WARD
10-13-2015, 11:15 AM
She was definitely quick to "blow" the whistle. As for the reviewable plays...I find it very dumb that some calls/plays are reviewable and the judgement calls are not. If anything, the judgement calls should be most open to review...lol.

teegre
10-13-2015, 11:16 AM
They replayed it on the jumbotron, and all of the Chargers fans went "Whew, dodged a bullet."

As in:
It was fairly obvious that it was a fumble returned for a TD.

SteelerFanInStl
10-13-2015, 12:23 PM
I was yelling when Shamarko recovered the ball. It was obvious that no one touched him.

steelreserve
10-13-2015, 12:49 PM
They replayed it on the jumbotron, and all of the Chargers fans went "Whew, dodged a bullet."

You saw Chargers fans there?

86WARD
10-13-2015, 12:58 PM
I saw one on TV.

teegre
10-13-2015, 01:40 PM

:rofl2:

They were standing between a unicorn and Santa Claus.

Count Steeler
10-13-2015, 01:41 PM

Must have been those Steeler fans that sold their tickets because of Vick.