PDA

View Full Version : Steelers’ touchdown avoids another NFL officiating controversy

Shoes
10-12-2015, 11:11 PM
Posted by Mike Florio on October 12, 2015, 11:54 PM EDT
https://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2015/10/images.jpg?w=136
Getty ImagesIf the knee of Steelers running back Le’Veon Bell (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/8390/leveon-bell) had struck the ground before the ball broke the front of the plane of the goal line, the NFL would have faced a second straight Monday night officiating controversy.
On a night when plenty of Steelers fans were in San Diego, the clock operator apparently wasn’t waving a Terrible Towel. The kickoff from the Chargers following a 54-yard field goal that put the home team up by three sailed out of the end zone with 2:56 to play. And when the play ended the clock inexplicably started to tick, with a total of 18 seconds bleeding off before stopping at 2:38.
That’s based on the clock shown at the bottom of the ESPN screen. At one point, Steelers quarterback Mike Vick (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/2107/michael-vick) is seen walking onto the field, and the game clock can be seen running in the background from 2:48 all the way to 2:38, at a time when the clock should not have been running.
No one noticed it at the time. Not the officials, not ESPN.
Well, not everyone at ESPN. Producer Jason Vida tweeted about it (https://twitter.com/jasonvida/status/653774257181323264), calling it a loss of 24 seconds. The correct number seems to be 18.
Either way, it would have been a major mess for the NFL if the Steelers had failed to score on the final drive due to the clock running out. It should still be a mess for the league and ESPN, because someone should have noticed it and done something about it before the Steelers took their first snap after the kickoff.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/10/12/steelers-touchdown-avoids-another-nfl-officiating-controversy/

Merchant
10-12-2015, 11:15 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/10/12/steelers-touchdown-avoids-another-nfl-officiating-controversy/

Not that it affected the outcome of the game. But imagine if Bell gets stuffed and time runs out. This could have been HUGE.

SteelMayhem72
10-12-2015, 11:24 PM
Glad we scored so now im not wanting to kill somebody

zulater
10-12-2015, 11:27 PM
I noticed that.I thought maybe the refs had reset the clock during the commercial break. Because the official time is supposed to be with the refs, not the scoreboard. Or so I always thought?:noidea:

fansince'76
10-12-2015, 11:32 PM
No one noticed it at the time. Not the officials, not ESPN.

Hillgrove and Tunch certainly noticed it and mentioned it plenty as it was happening and for a good bit after. One more reason I watch the TV action with the sound muted and listen to the audio broadcast on Steelers radio. I simply can't tolerate the lameassed chuckleheads on the TV broadcasts anymore.

SteelerFanInStl
10-12-2015, 11:52 PM
They showed it on NFL Network and one of the idiots starts saying that San Diego should be mad because they should have gotten the ball with 18 seconds left. Some people are just clueless.

st33lersguy
10-13-2015, 12:00 AM
San Diego scoreboard operator got a dose of karma on that one

86WARD
10-13-2015, 06:13 AM
It should still be a mess because that means the Chargers may have had time to return a kick or throw a couple deep...?

Count Steeler
10-13-2015, 06:26 AM
Perhaps that is our payback for the Brady clock adjustment in Foxboro.

zulater
10-13-2015, 07:43 AM
In my opinion the clock operator should be fired. The Chargers should lose a mid round pick. And the game official responsible for keeping the time on the field should be suspended. There's no way (imo) that was an honest mistake. Find me one other time in that game that the clock kept running on a dead ball situation. And among dead ball situations none are less confusing than a touchback. There were at least 5 touchbacks in that game, none of the previous ones did the clock continue to run. This was attempted game fixing by the clock operator. He was trying to aid the home town team. Now I'm not saying the Chargers were party to this. But ultimately they are responsible for their employees. And to make sure nothing like this ever happens again the league needs to take some punitive action against the Chargers. Because money has little meaning to a multi million dollar entity a fine wont suffice. The loss of a draft pick should be mandatory. They took a draft pick from the Falcons for piping in crowd noise correct? Tell me how this is less damaging to the league?

EzraTank
10-13-2015, 08:40 AM
Hillgrove and Tunch certainly noticed it and mentioned it plenty as it was happening and for a good bit after. One more reason I watch the TV action with the sound muted and listen to the audio broadcast on Steelers radio. I simply can't tolerate the lameassed chuckleheads on the TV broadcasts anymore.

Jon Gruden is the worst. He's a poor man's John Madden. Several times he said that Heyward was a stud and never comes off the field. He even said it as he was running back onto the field as a substitute!

I just despise announcers that make cliches about every guy that's currently on the camera like, "He's clearly the best guy I've ever seen do this ________."

NJarhead
10-13-2015, 09:50 AM
The same clock operator only ticked down 2 sseconds on a quick out by Rivers before the half. I spike of the ball takes 2 seconds. Aside from that, no plays are less than 4 seconds. That clear clock operator was either a Chargers fan or Steelers hater or both.

steel striker
10-13-2015, 10:40 AM
It always seems crap always goes against us and, good thing the steelers pulled the win out.

teegre
10-13-2015, 11:26 AM
They showed it on NFL Network and one of the idiots starts saying that San Diego should be mad because they should have gotten the ball with 18 seconds left. Some people are just clueless.

That reminds me of a story...

I took my German Shepherd to a dog park, and a pit bull jumped him. We pulled the dogs apart, and the pit bull's owner immediately was like: "No harm, no foul, bro." He took no ownership, and had a laissez faire attitude of "Shit happens." Obviously, it was sort of annoying.

So... he is walking out, and he notices that his pit bull's leg has been torn all to shit; he turns and points this fact out. To which someone else in the dog park tells him: "No harm, no foul, bro."

The point:
Chargers fans noticed the clock running, and they were like: "If you can't score with 2:30 left, they you don't deserve to win." Now that they want that 18 seconds, I say: "No harm, no foul, bro."

fansince'76
10-13-2015, 11:42 AM
Chargers fans noticed the clock running, and they were like: "If you can't score with 2:30 left, they you don't deserve to win." Now that they want that 18 seconds, I say: "No harm, no foul, bro."

Maybe they need to talk to THEIR timekeeper about it, then.

Speaking of which, has anyone else reported issues with headsets anywhere since opening night? I mean, since the problem is so pervasive and league-wide and everything? Yeah, I didn't think so. :coffee:

I guess Rog must've also warned his "daddy" to cut the shit or he might have to do something about it too...

BnG_Hevn
10-13-2015, 11:50 AM
IMO, this is on the Steelers.

You know teams that play with less than honorable methods when it comes to rules so when you play them, you do what is necessary to counter their methods.

With all the millions of dollars paid to players / coaches, for away games, you need to have an underling eyeballing the clock. If not, that is on you.

Should you "have" to do it? No. But that is irrelevant.

I just wonder if they don't score if Tomlin brings that up as an excuse.

fansince'76
10-13-2015, 12:00 PM
Yeah, well, they did score. And it isn't the Steelers or even Pittsburgh media making an issue of it, it's PFT. If anything, the Steelers benefited from it In the end.

NJarhead
10-13-2015, 12:01 PM

You know teams that play with less than honorable methods when it comes to rules so when you play them, you do what is necessary to counter their methods.

With all the millions of dollars paid to players / coaches, for away games, you need to have an underling eyeballing the clock. If not, that is on you.

Tomlin does tend to not notice things for some reason. Going back to SB XLIII he could have challenged Larry Fitzgerald's first TD, but when asked about why he didn't he said he (or anyone else) wasn't aware that Larry may not have had complete possession of the ball going to the ground. That always irked me. There have been more recent examples too. Don't get me wrong, I'm a Tomlin guy, but for someone who seems to be on top of everything, he tends to be in the dark during game play. Oh well, it is what it is.

86WARD
10-13-2015, 12:09 PM
Again, the clock operator is an NFL employee. He's hired from an outside market as well. Usually some sort of college official. This would be on the league, not the Chargers...although it was benefitting the Chargers or possibly screwing them depending on the timing...

ALLD
10-13-2015, 02:38 PM

That's one way Harbaugh pulled a win out against us last week. He had time put back on the clock. Tomlin needs to sharpen up. Then you also need to think about all these little scandals and wonder if the local clock operator has any $ on the game or is in Draft Kings.

zulater
10-13-2015, 03:01 PM
Again, the clock operator is an NFL employee. He's hired from an outside market as well. Usually some sort of college official. This would be on the league, not the Chargers...although it was benefitting the Chargers or possibly screwing them depending on the timing...

The clock operator can never work another NFL game. Sorry but if you're only job is to operate the clock and you make that serious of a mistake then you're done. If it was in fact a mistake. In my opinion whether the person was hired by the league or the team that person wanted that clock to expire prematurely for the Chargers benefit. Again on no other touchback that entire game, (and there was 5 of them if memory serves me correctly) did the clock restart before the offense took a snap. Call me 9-11 guy if you want, but I think intent was there.

The officials were also derelict in duty. I would suspend the side judge for multiple games. It's his job to keep the time on the field. How many times have we seen a pause in action while the head referee calls out on his mike for the clock operator to reset the clock to whatever it should be? So obviously he was derelict in duty. Also the head ref ( was it Morelli?) should get at least one game. You're the boss ultimately you're responsible for members of your crew.

And of course the Chargers bear no responsibility as per what you've cited.

Rotorhead
10-13-2015, 03:20 PM
I am guessing the clock guy has some money on the Chargers W . . . so the guys he owes the money to will break his legs and fingers so he won't be working the clock for awhile lol

steelreserve
10-13-2015, 03:56 PM
I'm not sure which would be worse - the clock operator deliberately messing with the time, or simply being that incompetent. That's one of the most basic mistakes you can make, and to do it at a time like that is beyond bad. I just hope the guy was stoned, so at least there'd be some rational explanation.

SteelerFanInStl
10-13-2015, 04:23 PM
The clock operator can never work another NFL game. Sorry but if you're only job is to operate the clock and you make that serious of a mistake then you're done. If it was in fact a mistake. In my opinion whether the person was hired by the league or the team that person wanted that clock to expire prematurely for the Chargers benefit. Again on no other touchback that entire game, (and there was 5 of them if memory serves me correctly) did the clock restart before the offense took a snap. Call me 9-11 guy if you want, but I think intent was there.

The officials were also derelict in duty. I would suspend the side judge for multiple games. It's his job to keep the time on the field. How many times have we seen a pause in action while the head referee calls out on his mike for the clock operator to reset the clock to whatever it should be? So obviously he was derelict in duty. Also the head ref ( was it Morelli?) should get at least one game. You're the boss ultimately you're responsible for members of your crew.

And of course the Chargers bear no responsibility as per what you've cited.

Exactly. Sure makes it seem suspicious that they all of the sudden "forgot" how to run the clock properly.

And yes, the officials were also to blame. There's one official who has direct responsibility for the clock being correct and they blew it.

teegre
10-13-2015, 04:39 PM
And yes, the officials were also to blame. There's one official who has direct responsibility for the clock being correct and they blew it.

I was in attendance, and you could see that one official call over the referee... and point to his watch. There was a lengthy discussion, but then nothing transpired.

Count Steeler
10-13-2015, 04:41 PM
I was in attendance, and you could see that one official call over the referee... and point to his watch. There was a lengthy discussion, but then nothing transpired.

Probably late for a dinner date.

teegre
10-13-2015, 04:43 PM
Probably late for a dinner date.

He was possessed by the ghost of the late Adam Yauch. :lol:

86WARD
10-13-2015, 04:59 PM
I would also put some blame on the Steelers for not questioning the clock error.

Count Steeler
10-13-2015, 08:51 PM
At this point, it is what it is.

Just another sparkling example of the high quality officiating at the NFL level.

tube517
10-14-2015, 07:01 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/10/14/nfl-suspends-side-judge-over-clock-mistake/

The official who failed to correct a clock mistake late in Monday night’s Steelers-Chargers game has been disciplined by the league.

Side judge Rob Vernatchi has been suspended for one week with pay, a source with knowledge of the situation tells PFT.

Count Steeler
10-14-2015, 07:03 PM
That's 2 major mistakes, 2 weeks in a row. Time to bring back the replacement refs.

hawaiiansteeler
10-14-2015, 08:51 PM
That's 2 major mistakes, 2 weeks in a row. Time to bring back the replacement refs.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-zNP4Q_H4220/VKyGCtP3EAI/AAAAAAAAKyg/9IZecTV7sMY/s1600/blind%2Breferees.png

86WARD
10-14-2015, 08:56 PM
There's been much more than just those two mistakes throughout the league...some pretty major ones...

tube517
10-14-2015, 09:33 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-zNP4Q_H4220/VKyGCtP3EAI/AAAAAAAAKyg/9IZecTV7sMY/s1600/blind%2Breferees.png

Hey, Morelli took Tomlin's shades!