PDA

View Full Version : Game balls and goat horns.

zulater
10-12-2015, 11:04 PM
I'm giving Mike Tomlin my first game ball for going for the win at the end of the game. I'd rather go for it on one play at the one yard line than go to OT there.

No real goats tonight in my mind.

polamalubeast
10-12-2015, 11:06 PM
Goat:Vick for the first 3 quarter and the entire Chargers team to lose this game!!!!

Game ball:Bell was great,same for the defense in the first 3 quarter.

Rotorhead
10-12-2015, 11:07 PM
Game balls are the Def and Bell

fansince'76
10-12-2015, 11:09 PM
Defense. Only gave up 20 points and accounted for a TD themselves despite being on the field for most of the game. Butler's doing a really good job with a less-than-All-Star cast (particularly at safety).

vader29
10-12-2015, 11:09 PM
Defense, Bell, Tomlin.

http://i58.tinypic.com/28jxykz.jpg

:chuckle:

SteelMayhem72
10-12-2015, 11:10 PM
Our D is playing really well...it was very hot and their motor kept running, also Bell

Merchant
10-12-2015, 11:12 PM
Game Ball: Bell. That was probably the biggest play in his career to date. Incredible.

Goat: Punt-return unit. An absolutely RIDICULOUS amount of penalties. That needs to get cleaned up ASAP.

Shoes
10-12-2015, 11:12 PM
Defense, Bell, Butler.

SteelerFanInStl
10-12-2015, 11:13 PM
Defense. Only gave up 20 points and accounted for a TD themselves despite being on the field for most of the game. Butler's doing a really good job with a less-than-All-Star cast (particularly at safety).
Mine too except for the safeties. The rest of the D played very well, even when worn out.

My goat is Vick for the first 3 quarters.

Rotorhead
10-12-2015, 11:13 PM
Ah yeah, forgot all the penalties by the ST, killed us early. Can't have stupid penalties like this if we expect to win without Ben!

Psycho Ward 86
10-12-2015, 11:15 PM
game ball = bell and that defensive line

i refuse to give mike vick his share even though he did his part towards the end. he played even worse than last week if anything, he just got lucky with dropped interceptions and lucky breaks

zulater
10-12-2015, 11:16 PM
Game Ball: Bell. That was probably the biggest play in his career to date. Incredible.

Goat: Punt-return unit. An absolutely RIDICULOUS amount of penalties. That needs to get cleaned up ASAP.

Yeah good goat there.

As an additional game ball give one to the punter and coverage unit. Their keeping the Chargers inside their own 15 for much of the game had a lot to do with the chargers offensive ineptness from the start of the second drive until Rivers caught fire in the 4th quarter.

Shoes
10-12-2015, 11:17 PM
Give one (game ball) to Boswell too!

Steelman
10-12-2015, 11:22 PM
Definite a bizarre win as stated in another thread. So many guys did stupid things and then followed it up with great things.

Game ball goes to Bell. Dude was running hard and making plays when the rest of the offense was stuck in the mud. For him to close it out in walkoff fashion is just ridiculous. That's legendary right there.

Mad props to the defense. It wasn't perfect or even great, but geez what 100% effort type of performance by that unit. Heyward, Tuitt, Dupree, Timmons, those guys were absolutely gassed toward the end and still giving all they had.

Honorable mention to Mike Tomlin for having the balls to go for the win there. We've all questioned his gut instincts but I think he knew the defense wasn't going to last much longer and even though we got lucky with Vick in the 4th quarter there was little chance of the offense suddenly finding a rhythm in OT.

Heath Miller. Can never say enough good things about this guy.

Da Boz. I like what I saw. Good game for a raw rookie in his first NFL game. Moxie. I like that.

I would be remiss to not mention Jarvis Jones who has deservedly received his share of criticism. He made plays tonight. Obviously questions remain as to being able to sustain it or even continue it at all, but nice to see some glimmer of hope from him. I'm still not a fan of his overall game but I truly hope he can build from this.

Despite Bell's 100+ and GW touchdown, the OL was disappointing to me. Wallace in particular was getting abused one on one, which obviously isn't his strong point. Having Vick under center is vastly different than Ben but he no time to throw most of the night.

Overall, ugly gutsy game.

SteelMayhem72
10-12-2015, 11:32 PM

Danny smith will/should be fired after the season...i know hes not playing but he is responsible for our putrid special teams

Steeldude
10-12-2015, 11:37 PM
Hero: Bell

Goats: ST penalties, secondary, poor tackling

Hero/Goat: Blake. Yes, he scored an TD, but his horrendous coverage and tackling is too much to ignore.

fansince'76
10-12-2015, 11:39 PM
Danny smith will/should be fired after the season...i know hes not playing but he is responsible for our putrid special teams

I've also been saying this for at least 2 years now. The STs have never seemed to improve since he's been there.

Rotorhead
10-12-2015, 11:47 PM
That was stupid plays by ppl, our punt coverage was great. The returns were good if ppl didn't make stupid penalties they know they shouldn't make.

Craic
10-12-2015, 11:48 PM
Defense gets the game ball for standing strong, and also for two takeaways and scoring a TD.

I know I'm going to be hated for this, but Vick gets a gameball for staying in the thick of it and moving the team when he needed to. He had a number of pretty poor passes, but when we needed him most, he came through. That's all we can realistically ask a backup to do . . . especially a backup who's only been in the system seven weeks.

Bell gets one for sure. He didn't look that good, or that impressive starting out. I was glad to see the coaches pull him for a few plays. When he came back in, however, he seemed to have found the rhythm.

Game ball also to Ben who was right there helping with plays and keeping things together. I shudder to think what the trophy mantel would have looked like had this Ben shown up in camp his second or third year. Nevertheless, what a job leading from the sidelines.

Not the whole goat, maybe just a little goat cheese: this is going to make half this board laugh . . . Tomlin. Five seconds left. You line up in the I with your best back and go straight forward. If it's in, you win. If it's not, you have enough time for a FG. I really questioned that call, especially after showing it before the timeout was called. (If it was Haley, I'll throw him in there as well).
----------

How nice was it to see the ball go through the uprights on the very first kick?

hawaiiansteeler
10-12-2015, 11:49 PM

:iagree:

st33lersguy
10-12-2015, 11:52 PM
Game Balls: Bell: no explanation needed, Vick: Got to give him credit for stepping up when it mattered and helping us get the win, Defense: made the plays necessary to win and gave up 20 points while being on the field a lot

Goats: Return teams:the penalties were absolutely ridiculous

Devilsdancefloor
10-13-2015, 12:14 AM
Game ball: Heyward & tuitt can split it

Goat: Special teams penalties

hawaiiansteeler
10-13-2015, 12:46 AM
no love for Antwon Blake?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vBCKGbOyAk

NCSteeler
10-13-2015, 01:30 AM
People have been saying Goat for STs, but I gotta give some props to the punting unit, in the end the when the offense couldn't move the ball the punter and coverage units pinned SD deep.

Game ball to Tomlin for going for it
Goat - Vick for his early play and AB for getting completely covered up in what appeared to be single man coverage.

Count Steeler
10-13-2015, 04:55 AM
Ben, for designing the TD with Wheaton and being on the sideline, helping like a coach. (Sign him know for future OC)

The defense (Tuitt and Heyward especially), we need more bodies for the DL for rotation. McLendon and Thomas actually were respectable in relief for the few downs they played.

Sean Spence had a very strong game.

Goats: Special teams. Really? LEARN WHAT BLOCKING IN THE BACK MEANS!!!! Damn frustrating. It appeared that they were hell bent on returning the punts, and we continually put Brown in harms way and all his returns were negated by penalties. INEXCUSABLE Mr Smith.

stillers4me
10-13-2015, 05:42 AM
Game balls to just about everybody but special teams and whoever kept calling wildcat plays. (I'm talking to you, Todd Haley). Can't be too critical of Vick because when the game was on the line, he delivered. The special teams penalties need to STOP. NOW. That new kicker....yeah, he gets a shiny, game ball for a great debut. Ben gets one for being the best OC this team has had in years. The defense gets one because even though they were exhausted, they kept playing with all their little black and gold hearts. Steelers Nation made it a west coast home game. Gosh darn, we travel well. :heh:

Big team win here. At times an ugly one but a much needed win, none the less.

polamalubeast
10-13-2015, 06:36 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3NW9fgsmrI

The Bark
10-13-2015, 07:28 AM
Ball: Bell

Horns: Official Time Keeper. Bell scored on the very last play as time expired, but if anyone noticed, 18 seconds ran off the play clock with 2:56 left when San Diego kicked off on the Steelers final possession. ESPN (thankfully) posted about it this morning so I know I was imagining things.

tube517
10-13-2015, 10:32 AM
Game Balls: Bell, the defense, Steeler Nation (was like a home game for us, according to Rivers lol).

Goats: Special teams/Punt Return unit.

steel striker
10-13-2015, 10:48 AM
Game balls Bell, the defense causing turnovers getting pressure on Rivers. DHB making a clutch catch and, Boswell, Heath being Heath.

86WARD
10-13-2015, 11:00 AM
Game Ball: Bell, Defense, Tomlin in that order.

Goat: O-Line, Coaching (clock management, play calling, special teams), Special Teams in that order.

steelreserve
10-13-2015, 11:03 AM
Game balls:

Bell (duh)

The defense except for Cam Thomas, Steve McLendon, and whoever was supposed to be covering the tight end

Berry, for pinning them inside the 5-yard line twice in a row at a crucial time

Goatse:

The punt return unit

teegre
10-13-2015, 11:18 AM
Interesting thought...

Every "hero" was at some point earlier in the game a "goat." A dumb play equaled "splash" play later in the game.

Except for Bell, who was great all game long.

Mach1
10-13-2015, 11:22 AM
The Defense and Bell.

ALLD
10-13-2015, 03:11 PM
Archer looked good on touch backs.

Rotorhead
10-13-2015, 03:18 PM
Archer looked good on touch backs.

He must have, he survived yet another week on this team by standing back there watching the ball go over his head.

hawaiiansteeler
10-13-2015, 03:29 PM
He must have, he survived yet another week on this team by standing back there watching the ball go over his head.

Dri Archer returned 2 kickoffs for 62 yards last night, one for 32 and the other for 30 yards...

Rotorhead
10-13-2015, 03:39 PM
Maybe he could learn to make a cut or something, instead of running is 90lb body straight into people 2x+ his size . . .

steelreserve
10-13-2015, 03:42 PM
Dri Archer returned 2 kickoffs for 62 yards last night, one for 32 and the other for 30 yards...

That got us to the 23 and 28 yard line, respectively. 62 yards is not what he "gained," it's mostly just the free run-up you get on any kickoff.

Five kickoffs on the night, and we got 11 more total yards than we would have if we put Refrigerator Perry back there returning kicks and told him to just fall on his face where he stood every time. BIG FUCKING DEAL.

edit: Not 1985 Refrigerator Perry either. I mean the current Refrigerator Perry who's probably in his 50s and close to 500 pounds now.

zulater
10-13-2015, 03:47 PM

Aw c'mon don't be such a spoil sport. :heh:

Truthfully he has been more decisive on kickoff returns the last few games. On the few chances he's had lately he's done a good job. But here's the thing, a few years back they had a very good returner in Stephen Logan. A guy who also returned punts. And when he was on the team kickoffs were still mostly returnable. Anyway the year following a season in which he led the league in kick returns- Logan was deemed too much a luxury to afford a roster spot as he didn't have a position on either offense or defense that he any real relevancy in. So now we have a guy who is strictly a kickoff returner in a time when kickoff returns have virtually been legislated out of existence. So how do they justify his roster spot?

Had they not wasted a 3rd round pick on him he would be long gone. We all know this. And this is why people will always take the glass half empty approach even when Dri doesn't look awful.

86WARD
10-13-2015, 03:47 PM
Is the "current" refrigerator perry still alive?

tube517
10-13-2015, 04:24 PM
Todman can look at kickoffs sail over his head. It's not like we don't have players capable. Wheaton can back up Todman. AB does punt returns anyways. Bryant is back. DHB is becoming a decent #3. De Angelo is the backup RB now with nobody even close to him. There is no argument for keeping the superrunt.

Archer should just sit in McCullers' pocket during game days.

hawaiiansteeler
10-13-2015, 04:36 PM
Is the "current" refrigerator perry still alive?

he is, but his life has fallen upon hard times as he's reportedly been battling alcoholism, weight issues (over 400 lbs now) and financial problems (auctioned off his Super Bowl ring)...

steelreserve
10-13-2015, 05:19 PM
Yeah, the Fridge could probably use the money a lot more than Archer could.

Apparently he can hardly walk, but that would actually make him just as effective a kick returner as Archer, when you account for all the times he's actually made us start inside the 20.

86WARD
10-13-2015, 06:23 PM
I'd rather have Gary Russell back their than Archer.

SteelerFanInStl
10-14-2015, 05:47 PM
Truthfully he has been more decisive on kickoff returns the last few games. On the few chances he's had lately he's done a good job. But here's the thing, a few years back they had a very good returner in Stephen Logan. A guy who also returned punts. And when he was on the team kickoffs were still mostly returnable. Anyway the year following a season in which he led the league in kick returns- Logan was deemed too much a luxury to afford a roster spot as he didn't have a position on either offense or defense that he any real relevancy in. So now we have a guy who is strictly a kickoff returner in a time when kickoff returns have virtually been legislated out of existence. So how do they justify his roster spot?

Had they not wasted a 3rd round pick on him he would be long gone. We all know this. And this is why people will always take the glass half empty approach even when Dri doesn't look awful.

Yes, very good point. Logan was 10x better than Dri. Todman can easily do what Archer does on special teams and more. Dri is nothing but a wasted 3rd round pick. If they wanted a "toy" like him, they should've waited until the 5th round and taken DeAnthony Thomas, who's been a much better player than Dri.

hawaiiansteeler
10-14-2015, 06:59 PM
Todman can easily do what Archer does on special teams and more.

Todman did not endear himself to Tomlin with that block in the back on the AB 35 yard punt return...

Devilsdancefloor
10-14-2015, 07:57 PM
why not have boykin:behindsofa: back there on punts and kick offs

http://i60.tinypic.com/6ynuh1.jpg