PDA

View Full Version : What a bizarre win!

polamalubeast
10-12-2015, 10:42 PM
But a win is a win especially without Ben!

This team can be great if the steelers survive during the absence of Ben.

86WARD
10-12-2015, 10:43 PM
Good win and good call by Tomlin there at the end...

Steelman
10-12-2015, 10:45 PM
Winning ugly is still winning. I'll take it.

polamalubeast
10-12-2015, 10:47 PM
Winning ugly is still winning. I'll take it.

especially without Ben.

JayC
ugly and amazing at the same time. i game i won't forget

Mojouw
Good win and good call by Tomlin there at the end...

According to postgame show, Roethlisberger drew the play up.

tube517
A Win is a Win is a Win. Style points don't matter. Just get W's.

Hawkman
10-12-2015, 10:50 PM
Props to JJ and Blake

Steelman
10-12-2015, 10:52 PM
And we won on the West Coast? How about that!

86WARD

Well then it goes back to my comments that the team doesn't need Danny Smith and Mike Tomlin...lol.

Ben was the one they went to when the Chargers called timeout.

Mojouw

Nevermind. They were talking about the touchdown throw to Wheaton. Not the final play.

86WARD
10-12-2015, 10:53 PM
Bell is a fucking stud...

polamalubeast
10-12-2015, 10:55 PM
Bell is a fucking stud...

121 yards with no passing game!

salamander
10-12-2015, 10:56 PM
A win is a win and that's all we need till Ben comes back.

Merchant
10-12-2015, 11:00 PM
Truly a game of inches. This board would've had a complete meltdown if Bell was stuffed as time expired haha. Thankfully Bell squeaked through.

Vick needs to play the way he did in the fourth quarter next week to have a chance at beating Arizona. Shazier and Bryant better be back for that one.

Rotorhead
10-12-2015, 11:01 PM
While I would like a win next week, it doesn't matter so much now. Hats off to the defense, exhausted at the end and they hold them to a FG!

Shoes
10-12-2015, 11:02 PM
especially without Ben.

It wasn't really without Ben, it looked like he was directing the offense toward the end of the game. And speaking of Ben he was moving around pretty good on the sideline.

vader29
10-12-2015, 11:04 PM

SteelFever
10-12-2015, 11:09 PM
Some times it is better to be lucky then good. I did say this was the only game they had a chance of winning until Ben gets back, fortunately the Chargers were even worse then the Steelers tonight.

zulater
10-12-2015, 11:11 PM
Truly a game of inches. This board would've had a complete meltdown if Bell was stuffed as time expired haha. Thankfully Bell squeaked through.

Vick needs to play the way he did in the fourth quarter next week to have a chance at beating Arizona. Shazier and Bryant better be back for that one.

I really wouldn't have. Your chances of scoring on one play from the one yard line is greater than winning an OT game on the road. It was a smart call by Tomlin to go for the win. I would have said the same thing even if we lost.

SteelMayhem72
10-12-2015, 11:16 PM
This game was a must win...ill take it no matter how ugly now arizona will be a little bit easier to digest no matter the outcome...our D is improving and when ben gets back we could be a dangerous team

Rotorhead
10-12-2015, 11:17 PM
This game was a must win...ill take it no matter how ugly now arizona will be a little bit easier to digest no matter the outcome...our D is improving and when ben gets back we could be a dangerous team

This x10

polamalubeast
10-12-2015, 11:19 PM

The steelers are in the 6 seed,tied with the Bills,so they are in good position....

Steelermania
10-12-2015, 11:34 PM
The steelers are in the 6 seed,tied with the Bills,so they are in good position....

Yes. They stay within shouting distance of Cincy, and they are in solid shape for a wild card. KC, and the Rats, who are usually stiff competition for playoff spots, are both nearly dead at 1-4. We now have the tiebreaker over SD, and I'm not sold on the Bills, or the Jets, with their questionable qbs. There's really no other competition for playoff spots. 10 wins will do it, and even 9 might be enough. The 8 games vs the two Western Divisions were our potential downfall, but we're 3-0 so far.

Rotorhead
10-12-2015, 11:34 PM
A little soon to be talking playoffs, but we needed one of these three, we gave away last week, got this week and next week will be a big ask. We just been Ben back for KC (just to knock the rust off before Cincy) especially since they just lost their top off weapon for the season.

Hawkman
10-13-2015, 12:30 AM
Some times it is better to be lucky then good. I did say this was the only game they had a chance of winning until Ben gets back, fortunately the Chargers were even worse then the Steelers tonight.

Really!!!!!!????

NCSteeler
10-13-2015, 01:23 AM
I really wouldn't have. Your chances of scoring on one play from the one yard line is greater than winning an OT game on the road. It was a smart call by Tomlin to go for the win. I would have said the same thing even if we lost.

I want second that. Tomlin for all the doubt I have and the hate he gets made the right call there to try and win it on the spot. This team was not likely to win in OT anyhow, defense was gassed.

hawaiiansteeler
10-13-2015, 01:26 AM
A little soon to be talking playoffs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oSFYxDGKy8

Count Steeler
10-13-2015, 04:57 AM

I heard he designed the Wheaton TD. If he did the Bell TD, then FIRE HALEY!!

stillers4me
10-13-2015, 05:17 AM
https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xta1/v/t1.0-9/12074790_10153539390596294_4066945207864353702_n.j pg?oh=d9708afeb567bbdfcacfbaf029af2e08&oe=568ED617

stillers4me
10-13-2015, 05:46 AM
My face in the last 2 minutes.

https://cdn1.lockerdome.com/uploads/342097bca9b2838154e2dcfbdf0ad0e7bbe13070a786a0eb37 8594854156ebe8_medium_animated

salamander
10-13-2015, 06:00 AM
https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xta1/v/t1.0-9/12074790_10153539390596294_4066945207864353702_n.j pg?oh=d9708afeb567bbdfcacfbaf029af2e08&oe=568ED617

:lol: :lol: :lol:

zulater
10-13-2015, 06:02 AM
Add to the bizarre the quick whistle on Bell. Anyone else notice on one of our possessions where we had good field position, on the first down play LeVeon runs for 3 yards, his feet are still moving then he breaks free from a one on one tackle attempt, appears to have gained another 3 yards, but for some odd reason the ref blows the whistle sometime between when he was initially slowed and was actually stopped. There's a huge difference between 2nd and 4 and 2nd and 7.

And of course the mysterious shrinking clock where we got shafted out of 18 seconds on our final drive. How did no one on the Steelers sideline notice this? I noticed it, but since nothing was said I assumed the refs had corrected the timeskeeper. Well it turns out the timeskeeper kept the clock running on a dead ball. The refs have got an obligation to see this. Some fines and suspensions need to be doled out to that officiating team. Also the Chargers and the clock keeper should be dealt with. The Chargers should be fined and the clock keeper suspended or fired. Imagine if that had played into the outcome and LeVeon falls an inch short? It's tantamount to game fixing.

Count Steeler
10-13-2015, 06:34 AM
Add to the bizarre the quick whistle on Bell. Anyone else notice on one of our possessions where we had good field position, on the first down play LeVeon runs for 3 yards, his feet are still moving then he breaks free from a one on one tackle attempt, appears to have gained another 3 yards, but for some odd reason the ref blows the whistle sometime between when he was initially slowed and was actually stopped. There's a huge difference between 2nd and 4 and 2nd and 7.

And of course the mysterious shrinking clock where we got shafted out of 18 seconds on our final drive. How did no one on the Steelers sideline notice this? I noticed it, but since nothing was said I assumed the refs had corrected the timeskeeper. Well it turns out the timeskeeper kept the clock running on a dead ball. The refs have got an obligation to see this. Some fines and suspensions need to be doled out to that officiating team. Also the Chargers and the clock keeper should be dealt with. The Chargers should be fined and the clock keeper suspended or fired. Imagine if that had played into the outcome and LeVeon falls an inch short? It's tantamount to game fixing.

On the first point, yes. That was on the lady ref side judge. Very quick whistle. Especially considering the players involved.

On the second point, maybe the same time keeper on loan from Foxboro. Integrity of the game.

SteelMayhem72
10-13-2015, 07:23 AM

You are absolutely correct!! I want to see the officials held to a higher standard of accountability instead of a damn slap of the wrist. Fines/ suspensions or even firings. No way should officiating in the ways you mentioned should affect outcomes of games...we were lucky that it didnt. Next time may not be so lucky

SteelMayhem72
10-13-2015, 07:50 AM
Just watched video of the interview with blake...i see now why he is a showboat...hes got a gold grill, top and bottom. Im sorry but anybody that has those is a "look at me" person. Sure hope will allen is ok

Shoes
10-13-2015, 08:01 AM
Just watched video of the interview with blake...i see now why he is a showboat...hes got a gold grill, top and bottom. Im sorry but anybody that has those is a "look at me" person. Sure hope will allen is ok

He held the football out for the taking and trotted to the end zone from about the 20. I sure hope that gets brought up in the team meeting.

tube517
10-13-2015, 08:40 AM
He held the football out for the taking and trotted to the end zone from about the 20. I sure hope that gets brought up in the team meeting.

I saw Butler talking to him afterwards and it seems like he was telling him about that.

- - - Updated - - -

My face in the last 2 minutes.

https://cdn1.lockerdome.com/uploads/342097bca9b2838154e2dcfbdf0ad0e7bbe13070a786a0eb37 8594854156ebe8_medium_animated

Me in the last 2 minutes:

http://por-img.cimcontent.net/cms/data/assets/bin-201408/5f965a7b8d53c046500f830b084ec8bb_600x400.jpg

86WARD
10-13-2015, 11:29 AM

The clock operator is a league employee that is hired outside of the home teams market. The Chargers wouldn't be responsible for the error. That falls on the league.

Mamaduck43
10-13-2015, 11:53 AM
I am in the midst of moving, and my tech (grandson, Evan) was playing with my Easy Connect package from Time Warner Cable, which they convinced me to take to save waiting two weeks without phone, tv and internet until they could get someone here... Repeated calls to their trouble line (oh if you have problems, just call, we will have someone right there to fix things if we cannot help over the phone) were not returned or even dropped... Poor Evan was doing his best, and was doing a good job, but, no one on FB was talking about the game, and for some reason I couldn't get in here on my cell, and, of course, if I rode into the local pub, a couple of blocks away, on my Steelers scooter dressed in Black and Gold frantically waving my Terrible Towel, looking for TV coverage of the game, I either would have ended up scootering while intoxicated, or beaten up - - neither one a viable choice, and finally at the end of the game, I finally had the game on TV.... And I only saw the last 8 minutes.... But, at least I watched the WIN!!! I went to sleep with a smile on my face, and this morning, I managed to get my 'puter working by myself... Sigh.... Didn't help my mentality much when Evan stopped by after the Packer game on Sunday to say "Hi", and he was dressed in his cheerleading teams outfits - - he goes to UW@Green Bay, and the cheer team from his school and the one from St. Norberts College are on the sidelines... He was spotted during school registration by the team coach and asked to join - - he is a big strong Polynesian kid and he is the base of the pyramids, and runs with the huge flags after scores.... He and the rest of the team got a photo on Sunday - - they all did the Lambeau Leap and got a group photo.... He said only one little old lady got fresh while helping him up to the wall - - she grabbed his butt... "And Gramma, she was really, really OLD".... I told him that we old ladies are old, but we aren't dead!!!!! "Gramma!!!!!!!" I speak truth....

BnG_Hevn
10-13-2015, 11:56 AM
NFL radio MJD made a point on how without Ben, the rest of the team needs to step up (and get better) whereas with Ben they may take it easier.

If they continue to improve, the team overall will be that much better once Ben shakes off the rust.

zulater
10-13-2015, 01:00 PM
The clock operator is a league employee that is hired outside of the home teams market. The Chargers wouldn't be responsible for the error. That falls on the league.

Fair enough. That clock operator can never work another NFL game imo. And that officiating crew needs to be severely reprimanded.

st33lersguy
10-13-2015, 01:40 PM
I was surprised that Pete Morelli correctly called the final play a TD, considering that he overturned the Polamalu INT in the 05 Divisional game and last year picked up the flag in Dallas-Detriot wildcard game. The guy is a crook

StillCurtains
10-13-2015, 02:23 PM
Yeah,

Though Bell was great, Ben is my MVP for this game taking the playcalling away from Haley. Wildcat all of first half? It's a shame Ben knows how to get Vick going better than Haley.

We might be 4-1 if he knows how to play situational football. New England: No Williams in goal line situations, Baltimore, empty back set on crucial downs. If there was a time to run wildcat, it should have been against Baltimore in those crucial situations. They would have had to guess who the ball carrier was Vick, Bell, or Williams.

The guy is just ass backwards sometimes. We actually could be 5-0 if it were not for moronic play calling. Kudos to Tomlin for the gutsy call. Also very pleased that he clearly overruled Haley demanding that Bell gets the ball. It really doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that was the case.

ALLD
10-13-2015, 03:01 PM
Tomlin only had one call to make and he made it right this week. Last week he had a similar opportunity twice on 4th down to seal a win and he whiffed to everybody's disbelief.

ST's coach should be fired this week for all of the dumb penalties. Haley should be put on notice for not knowing the opponents. I think he watches CFL tape to draw up game plans for our games.

86WARD
10-13-2015, 06:21 PM
Fair enough. That clock operator can never work another NFL game imo. And that officiating crew needs to be severely reprimanded.

Someone on the Steelers staff should get a slap on the wrist for not questioning that during the game...

hawaiiansteeler
10-13-2015, 07:37 PM
Someone on the Steelers staff should get a slap on the wrist for not questioning that during the game...

by Jim Wexell

The NFL is looking into the 18 seconds which were run off the clock from 2:56 to 2:38 as the Steelers fielded a touchback prior to their game-winning drive. Touchbacks don't require the start of the clock.

"It didn't define the outcome of the game, so I'm moving on with my work week, Tomlin said.

When asked if anyone should be paying attention to the clock to catch such errors, Tomlin said, "We're not going to run around chasing ghosts and working at doing other people's jobs. I'm not going to check to make sure concessions need help. I'm not going to check to make sure the clock guys are managing the clock."

http://www.scout.com/nfl/steelers/story/1598912-tomlin-refused-to-live-in-his-fears

86WARD
10-13-2015, 08:13 PM
He may want to have someone just watching in case something like this were to happen and the team gets screwed out of a win or a chance to win...

hawaiiansteeler
10-13-2015, 08:36 PM
He may want to have someone just watching in case something like this were to happen and the team gets screwed out of a win or a chance to win...

exactly, what would it hurt? :noidea:

tube517
10-13-2015, 08:45 PM
I'd be happy to watch the clock and wipe your Ray Bans, Coach!

Drazo85
10-14-2015, 05:57 AM
He doesn't want to make any additional noise about this, but I'm pretty sure that he would pay more attention to game clock from now on.

stillers4me
10-14-2015, 06:01 AM
He doesn't want to make any additional noise about this, but I'm pretty sure that he would pay more attention to game clock from now on.

Tomlin may not express the thoughts publicly, but you can be darn sure that Art or Dan made the call to the league office.

86WARD
10-14-2015, 06:09 AM
exactly, what would it hurt? :noidea:

I would think it would just be part of game awareness. The standard.

TD's & Beer
10-14-2015, 06:09 AM
Not bizarre

It was a miracle win, one in a million, manna from heaven, God loves dog killers, Cubs Win!

stillers4me
10-14-2015, 08:50 AM
It was gutsy and pretty darn awesome. I was a very proud fan at the end of that game. That defense never gave up and the offense found a way to get the job done......with plenty of time left. (Wink)

Rotorhead
10-14-2015, 04:29 PM
Hey, if they want to pay me what I am making now each year, I would gladly fly with the team to all the game and make sure the clock is correct! They could probably find some good uses for me as well, I am an EE so I could make sure the headsets work at NE . . . just sayin . . . Hell I am sure it wouldn't be too difficult to intecept the other teams calls and feed them into our teams helmets . . . hhmm maybe I should be a NE fan/employee