PDA

View Full Version : Former Steelers OLB HoJo gets 2 sacks in his debut for the Buccaneers Yesterday

Psycho Ward 86
10-12-2015, 12:36 PM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/10/former-steelers-olb-howard-jones-records-two-sacks-in-debut-with-buccaneers/

cue the angry fans.

in all seriousness, im happy for the guy. it does make you wonder though

steelreserve
10-12-2015, 12:50 PM
Well, good for him. I'm not super upset about it. Every indicator while he was here was that he had some talent but just could not get over the hump. I don't think it was one of those things where it was blatantly obvious he was headed for stardom and we missed it. And who knows, he may still turn out to be mediocre and last night was a fluke.

What I would be more concerned about is our difficulties getting the high draft picks at OLB to play any better.

Mojouw
10-12-2015, 12:52 PM
To be fair to everyone involved he got the sacks playing as a 4-3 end in purely pass rushing situations. HoJo always had a decent get off and speed, but he just never really progressed at doing "linebackery" things. Such as covering in space and setting the edge against the run - or at least that is what I remember reading.

This season it came down to him or Chickillio. Guess someone figured Chickillio does better at 3-4 backer? It will be interesting to see. How it all plays out.

86WARD
10-12-2015, 12:54 PM
But the Steelers are running 3-4, 4-3, Cover 2...he could've found a roster spot!!! lol...

Mojouw
10-12-2015, 01:08 PM
But the Steelers are running 3-4, 4-3, Cover 2...he could've found a roster spot!!! lol...

True! I mean clearly Garvin has been the key to the linebacking corps!

TeeTee
10-12-2015, 01:33 PM
Well, good for him. I'm not super upset about it. Every indicator while he was here was that he had some talent but just could not get over the hump. I don't think it was one of those things where it was blatantly obvious he was headed for stardom and we missed it. And who knows, he may still turn out to be mediocre and last night was a fluke.

What I would be more concerned about is our difficulties getting the high draft picks at OLB to play any better.

Well, isn't that concern one in the same? They let a promising guy go but kept turds like Jones on the roster just because they don't want to admit they failed terribly in drafting him so high. Hojo gets in his first game and doubles JJ's sack production for the season in one game. Way to go Steelers: protecting your fucking egos comes before making the right decisions. Genius. Way to go.

- - - Updated - - -

To be fair to everyone involved he got the sacks playing as a 4-3 end in purely pass rushing situations. HoJo always had a decent get off and speed, but he just never really progressed at doing "linebackery" things. Such as covering in space and setting the edge against the run - or at least that is what I remember reading.

This season it came down to him or Chickillio. Guess someone figured Chickillio does better at 3-4 backer? It will be interesting to see. How it all plays out.

Yea, and how is the Jones guy doing playing OLB? Less than 2 tackles a game. Brilliant. Let's start him.

hawaiiansteeler
10-12-2015, 01:45 PM
Yea, and how is the Jones guy doing playing OLB?

haven't you been keeping up?

Jarvis Jones has been "solid"...

Mojouw
10-12-2015, 01:54 PM
Well, isn't that concern one in the same? They let a promising guy go but kept turds like Jones on the roster just because they don't want to admit they failed terribly in drafting him so high. Hojo gets in his first game and doubles JJ's sack production for the season in one game. Way to go Steelers: protecting your fucking egos comes before making the right decisions. Genius. Way to go.

- - - Updated - - -

Yea, and how is the Jones guy doing playing OLB? Less than 2 tackles a game. Brilliant. Let's start him.

I think that Jarvis Jones' failings have been well documented. It is also no secret that I think Jones is about average at best as a player and certainly was never worthy of the 17th overall pick or whatever it was.

But look at the sacks that HoJo got on Sunday. The first the QB walked right into the pressure as the entire o-line looked like it was on roller skates moving backwards. The second one, HoJo loops inside and comes up the gut essentially unblocked. Hell, we know that Jarvis can get sacks one no one bothers to block him. So, maybe at worst this is a push? Who knows, HoJo could become a demon off the edge and lead the league in sacks - doubtful but anything is possible.

But, based on the preseason film he put down in a Steelers uniform, he was not going to be a very good outside linebacker. Sure he had a damn quick step around the edge in the pass rush, but he was terrible in space, he was awful on the edge against the run, and he didn't pursue very well. Jarvis's sorry butt does at least 2 of those things far better than HoJo.

Long story short, Jarvis was waaaaaaaaaaayyyyyy overdrafted and likely washes out of town after his cheap rookie deal expires. But I am not going to cry in my beer over losing HoJo.

ALLD
10-12-2015, 02:08 PM

He could have used Archer's or Landry Jones' spot.

Shoes
10-12-2015, 02:15 PM
I think that Jarvis Jones' failings have been well documented. It is also no secret that I think Jones is about average at best as a player and certainly was never worthy of the 17th overall pick or whatever it was.

But look at the sacks that HoJo got on Sunday. The first the QB walked right into the pressure as the entire o-line looked like it was on roller skates moving backwards. The second one, HoJo loops inside and comes up the gut essentially unblocked. Hell, we know that Jarvis can get sacks one no one bothers to block him. So, maybe at worst this is a push? Who knows, HoJo could become a demon off the edge and lead the league in sacks - doubtful but anything is possible.

But, based on the preseason film he put down in a Steelers uniform, he was not going to be a very good outside linebacker. Sure he had a damn quick step around the edge in the pass rush, but he was terrible in space, he was awful on the edge against the run, and he didn't pursue very well. Jarvis's sorry butt does at least 2 of those things far better than HoJo.

Long story short, Jarvis was waaaaaaaaaaayyyyyy overdrafted and likely washes out of town after his cheap rookie deal expires. But I am not going to cry in my beer over losing HoJo.

Nor am I, the plays he made here were mostly being in the right spot at the right time.

TeeTee
10-12-2015, 02:53 PM
haven't you been keeping up?

Jarvis Jones has been "solid"...
http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/051/726/17-i-lol.jpg?1318992465

st33lersguy
10-12-2015, 02:58 PM
Good thing we cut him in favor of worthless Can't Thomas, right Mike Dumblin?

hawaiiansteeler
10-12-2015, 03:08 PM
Good thing we cut him in favor of worthless Can't Thomas, right Mike Dumblin?

no we didn't.

we cut HoJo in favor of James Harrison, Jarvis Jones, Bud Dupree and Arthur Moats...

fansince'76
10-12-2015, 03:21 PM
But look at the sacks that HoJo got on Sunday. The first the QB walked right into the pressure as the entire o-line looked like it was on roller skates moving backwards. The second one, HoJo loops inside and comes up the gut essentially unblocked.

AKA "Dong" sacks.

tube517
10-12-2015, 03:27 PM
HoJO is going to join Jon Kuhn in the HOF at the rate he is going. :chuckle:

86WARD
10-12-2015, 07:28 PM
HoJO is going to join Jon Kuhn in the HOF at the rate he is going. :chuckle:

Behind Josh Mauro...

B&GFever
10-14-2015, 09:45 AM
Nor am I, the plays he made here were mostly being in the right spot at the right time.

in fairness that is what all plays made are ... just sayin

I am leaving the light on for Jones yet , albeit to conserve energy it will only be a candle

TeeTee
10-14-2015, 04:51 PM
AKA "Dong" sacks.
http://images.sodahead.com/polls/003814223/2946934644_lmao_seriously_answer_1_xlarge.jpeg