PDA

View Full Version : Dwyer final RB

Steeltreal
09-03-2010, 07:51 PM
http://insidepittsburghsports.com/story/agent-steelers-release-frank-summers/29168/

Guess Johnson will be combo blocking TE / FB again

SteelerFanInStl
09-03-2010, 07:57 PM
I'm not surprised. Tank never showed that he was capable of being a FB.

Steelman
09-03-2010, 07:59 PM
I was hoping they wouldn't keep Summers. He didn't do jack squat. Johnson can at least play the FB position adequately and fill the TE spot nicely too.

This means we could be seeing much more of Mendy and Redman in the same packages. :applaudit:

Steeltreal
09-03-2010, 08:00 PM
Dont forget the Big Legursky!

Kaeg
09-03-2010, 08:44 PM
I was rooting for all the above and Summers too, but I know we just don't have the room. I still think we haven't necessarily seen all of his potential yet. I think if the choice was mine, he would have been the one let go anyway, but I'm not totally sure yet if it's the right choice. I'm counting on Dwyer's upside to be realized.

steeldevil
09-03-2010, 09:40 PM
Not surprizing to me...

kmsteelerwr15
09-03-2010, 10:05 PM
I'm not surprised here either, but I am really excited with the possibilities we have in the running game.

JayC
09-03-2010, 10:15 PM
frank the gatorade tank. about all he was ever good at was being on the sideline.

MULLDOG24
09-03-2010, 10:22 PM
I just think that Summers isn't a good FB. He is a better RB and couldn't make the transition. However, if they would have let Summers be just a RB and play ST he might of had a better shot of making the final roster JMHO. Good luck "TANK"!!!!!

oneforthetoe
09-03-2010, 10:24 PM
Meanwhile, a source close to Summers who spoke on condition of anonymity blamed Bruce Arians on the second year pro being released.

:huh: So, Frank Summers reads this board? Seriously, somehow Mendy, Moore, Redman, and even Dwyer managed under Arians' direction, but I guess Bruce just had it in for Summers and wouldn't give him a chance. Hey, Frank ... maybe if you actually played like a tank instead of like an AMC Pacer, you might of made the team.

You know that commercial for Gieco with R. Lee Ermey where they say, "does a drill sergeant make a bad therapist?" I feel like telling Frank, "That’s interesting… You know what makes me sad? YOU DO! Maybe we should chug on over to namby-pamby land where maybe we can find some self confidence for you ya jackwagon." Anyhow good luck in namby-pamby land Frank.

BuddhaBus
09-03-2010, 10:30 PM
I'm glad Dwyer made the cut. He showed great promise in the last 2 preseason games. Summers hasn't shown much. Good luck, Tank!

tube517
09-03-2010, 11:00 PM
My thoughts exactly. I thought he would be the bruising RB we needed but then they wanted him at FB. I guess Dwyer made a last minute impression on them.

I just think that Summers isn't a good FB. He is a better RB and couldn't make the transition. However, if they would have let Summers be just a RB and play ST he might of had a better shot of making the final roster JMHO. Good luck "TANK"!!!!!

Psycho Ward 86
09-03-2010, 11:39 PM
Dwyer's upside beats Frank's upside, tenfold. Remember that he was once considered a borderline 1st round pick. That ability didnt just magically disappear because of where he was drafted.

I think we'll see Redman as an effective FB/RB fusion like Earnest Graham of the Tampa Bay Bucs. I love it!

solardave
09-04-2010, 05:06 AM
Summers was drafted to play a position he can't handle. It's one of the tough decisions letting him go. I say letting him go because someone will pick him up,use him as a RB which is what he'll do best and he will do OK maybe even really good. I don't believe we'll look back and regret keeping Dwyer ( or Johnson) instead.

Galax Steeler
09-04-2010, 06:07 AM
I am glad we kept Dwyer I think he has alot of potential and will be a good running back for us. He got off to a slow start and is starting to improve every week.

ALLD
09-04-2010, 08:05 AM
Redman finally beat out Summers.

steelpride12
09-04-2010, 08:26 AM
Well done by Dywer to really improve the final 2 preseason games and show he can be a Steelers RB. He was very impressive in my eyes and I guess the coaches saw the same! Potential is a scary thing.

GoSlash27
09-04-2010, 08:45 AM
Redzone is on the team. That was my only concern.

Steeldude
09-04-2010, 09:14 AM
i hope dwyer isn't a problem every year with staying shape. going into the combine he was out of shape and showing up for training camp he was out of shape. let's see if he loses the lazy man's mentality and gets his head screwed on straight.

i didn't see much from dwyer other than a couple of long runs through a big hole. can't all RBs do the same?

well is here a toast to dwyer for making the team.....now work hard

SteelerFanInStl
09-04-2010, 09:50 AM
It goes to show that if you want a FB, you draft a FB.

Chidi29
09-04-2010, 10:30 AM
Summers' blocking was actually much improved. So much better than where it was last year. Heck, better than it was Week 4 of the preseason. I didn't think he could ever look competent, but he's proven me wrong. I'd like to still stash him on the practice squad for another year.

We really don't know how good of a runner he is. Yes, he was a running back at UNLV, but we've never watched this guy run at the NFL level. But he's a hard worker who is showing signs of progress. Due to the nature of a fairly tough position switch, that's all I can ask for.

Dwyer is overrated. You guys keep going back and forth on him. First, it was a steal to get him. Then he was said to look like a bust. Now, he's back to being a guy to watch. He can't pass block, probably still can't catch, his pad level can get too high, and has only had a few nice runs to go along with a collage of duds. He's flashed a little bit of potential, but with the sheer volume of carries he got the past two weeks, he was bound to break off a couple runs.

I'll take Frank over Dwyer. No questions about it.

MULLDOG24
09-04-2010, 07:13 PM
Summers' blocking was actually much improved. So much better than where it was last year. Heck, better than it was Week 4 of the preseason. I didn't think he could ever look competent, but he's proven me wrong. I'd like to still stash him on the practice squad for another year.

We really don't know how good of a runner he is. Yes, he was a running back at UNLV, but we've never watched this guy run at the NFL level. But he's a hard worker who is showing signs of progress. Due to the nature of a fairly tough position switch, that's all I can ask for.

Dwyer is overrated. You guys keep going back and forth on him. First, it was a steal to get him. Then he was said to look like a bust. Now, he's back to being a guy to watch. He can't pass block, probably still can't catch, his pad level can get too high, and has only had a few nice runs to go along with a collage of duds. He's flashed a little bit of potential, but with the sheer volume of carries he got the past two weeks, he was bound to break off a couple runs.

I'll take Frank over Dwyer. No questions about it.

I agree! I think Dwyer( not discounting his ability) could use a year on the practice squad like Redman did to get into better shape and learn how to take care of himself. Only problem is he would probably be snatched up.

SteelerFanInStl
09-04-2010, 09:22 PM
I agree! I think Dwyer( not discounting his ability) could use a year on the practice squad like Redman did to get into better shape and learn how to take care of himself. Only problem is he would probably be snatched up.

Yes, he wouldn't make it to the practice squad after his performance in the last two preseason games. I don't see a big difference between him and Redman but it's good to have them both along with Mendy and Memo. We've got a good RB core.

86WARD
09-04-2010, 09:26 PM
Summers is garbage. Period.

Redman was playing well as a FB and Johnson can hold his own. Both have brought more to the team than Summers did/will. Great move to let Summers go and keep Dwyer...no brainer. If they did the opposite, I'd be pretty fucking upset.

Chidi29
09-04-2010, 11:36 PM
Yes, he wouldn't make it to the practice squad after his performance in the last two preseason games. I don't see a big difference between him and Redmond but it's good to have them both along with Mendy and Memo. We've got a good RB core.

Players bounce around like that a lot less than you think. They have 75 guys that they've watched every day since OTAs. Rarely do they take someone else they just have some gamefilm on. Seeing how teams passed on him in the draft, he can't be liked that much. His pass blocking is still a mess as well. There's a lot more, actually a lot less, to Dwyer than what meets the eye.

Chidi29
09-04-2010, 11:36 PM
Summers is garbage. Period.

Redman was playing well as a FB and Johnson can hold his own. Both have brought more to the team than Summers did/will. Great move to let Summers go and keep Dwyer...no brainer. If they did the opposite, I'd be pretty fucking upset.

Redman only took a a handful of snaps at FB and blocked less than that. He isn't a blocker.

It makes no sense to keep Dwyer and Redman. They're the same guy....with Redman being a more complete player.