PDA

View Full Version : Steelers notebook: Vick 'piecing together' offensive puzzle

stillers4me
10-09-2015, 05:28 AM
Offensive coordinator Todd Haley did not change his offense when backup quarterback Mike Vick stepped in last week for injured starter Ben Roethlisberger. Haley is making adjustments to his playbook to suit Vick’s abilities, but Vick is still learning what he says is an intricate and advanced system.

“Learning a new system in general is tough,” Vick said. “They’re so far along, so advanced with what they’re doing with Todd and Ben and what they’ve been able to implement. It’s a great offense. It’s going to take some time to learn, but I’m piecing everything together like a puzzle and I’m feeling more comfortable each and every day.”

Vick, who passed for 124 yards and a touchdown in his first start against the Baltimore Ravens, had one full practice and a walk-through to prepare for that game. He’ll have five days to prepare for a Monday night game at San Diego, and Haley said that will make a huge difference for him and the offense as a whole...........

read more @ http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2015/10/09/Vick-still-learning/stories/201510090174

86WARD
10-09-2015, 05:43 AM
Let's hope he is progressing...if not, this seasons going to be tough to turn around...

GBMelBlount
10-09-2015, 06:09 AM
Let's hope he is progressing...if not, this seasons going to be tough to turn around...

Agreed.

Vick had one full practice and a walk-through to prepare for that game and we took the Ravens into overtime.

With another week of reps and familiarity I am cautiously optimistic.

86WARD
10-09-2015, 07:58 AM
Very cautious...Expect him to play better, but I also expect some turnovers because of it. My biggest thing right now is they HAVE to get AB involved. He was a non-factor in that Ravens game...a mortal...nothing special...because he wasn't utilized. I tend to think that a percentage of that was because the play calling called for simple reads and plays that Vick was most comfortable getting his feet wet with and most of those didn't involve AB. I think at times in that game, AB was more of a decoy than a target.

zulater
10-09-2015, 08:44 AM
I think Vick is going to have to throw for 200-300 yards in order for us to best the Chargers. You can't neuter him (pardon the expression :lol:) this game. Yeah you don't want him to turn the ball over, but you can't handcuff him in the fear of turnovers to the point that he can't lead an effective offense. One of the arguments I always had with Ben's critics over the years, the he holds the ball too long, he shouldn't have fumbled or taken that sack, thrown that interception etc... is that if you have a qb who turtles or throws the ball away every time there's any sense of trouble you wont have any offense. The car doesn't wreck if it never leaves the garage, but also doesn't take you anywhere either. I can live with a turnover or two if Vick keeps the sticks moving. This offense should get close to 400 yards against the Chargers with decent qb play. So I'll trade a few mess ups if we can get solid production otherwise. Put together enough offense to score 25+ points and you've done the job Micheal Vick.

86WARD
10-09-2015, 10:05 AM
I've said it multiple times...I think the turnovers are virtually guaranteed this week...so he's gonna have to play much better for them to pull out a win and again, AB has to be involved.

Rotorhead
10-09-2015, 11:06 AM
Here's to hoping for a more normal gameplan this week. Open up the offense a little more and get some good running lanes going. Get some better protection for Vick so he isnt worried about the rush so much. Maybe run a few more roll out passes this week to help. And please take some shots down field!

steel striker
10-09-2015, 02:32 PM
You know it's going to be difficult to win if Vick just htrows 2-5 yard passes and, he has to take some shots down the field. He has to get the ball to AB & MB plus let Bell do his thing as well and, it Vick can do that we have a good chance of winning this game. I agree with most of you that the steelers need 28-31 points to win this game. I know the chargers have not been great this year but, we all know what Rivers can do.

ALLD
10-11-2015, 05:10 PM
Maybe Tomlin should call Cleveland and ask them what he should do. They beat the Ravens on the road and Tomlin gift wrapped a victory to Baltimore at home.

zulater
10-11-2015, 08:51 PM
Maybe Tomlin should call Cleveland and ask them what he should do. They beat the Ravens on the road and Tomlin gift wrapped a victory to Baltimore at home.
Yeah and Cade McNown threw for over 400 yards against them. Our guy couldn't get 130 and yet somehow he's absolved of any blame for the loss to the Ravens? :noidea:

Steeldude
10-11-2015, 10:42 PM
Before solving this puzzle why not learn how to throw from point A to the point B?

Steeldude
10-12-2015, 03:31 AM
Yeah and Cade McNown threw for over 400 yards against them. Our guy couldn't get 130 and yet somehow he's absolved of any blame for the loss to the Ravens? :noidea:

It is a bit unfair to compare Vick to a QB.

zulater
10-12-2015, 07:29 AM
It is a bit unfair to compare Vick to a QB.

I know what you're saying. But they brought him on this team, it's time to take the training wheels off and let him sink or swim with a game plan that highlights what skills he has left. If he's a legitimate NFL back-up you have to give him the chance to throw the ball, particularly if the other team is loading up the box against the run. And if he's not good enough then I don't even know what you do at that point? Bring in Landry and let him hand off 50 times a game out of a power I?

Anyway the time for excuses are over. If Vick is one of the top 64 qb's in the league then he's got to be able to produce something in the passing game with the weapons at his disposal. I don't really know what I'm expecting tonight. But I can tell you what I'm hoping for... I'm hoping Vick can throw for about 200-250 tonight. I'm hoping this compliments a running game that can produce about 150 yards. Overall we need about 350-400 yards of offense and 25+ points. We do that and I don't care if Vick throws a pick or lays the ball on the turf, I don't care if his release is too elongated or that he left a few plays on the field (i.e. a poor read or an overthow or underthrow) all qb's make mistakes. But be it formfull or awkward we need some production out of our passing game starting tonight. I hope Vick proves to be up to the job. And if he's(Vick) not, the person to be mad at is Tomlin. We've wasted 3 years of a roster spot on a developmental qb who will never develop an NFL game.

Psycho Ward 86
10-12-2015, 01:07 PM
if vick is going to release the ball as slow as he did last week he needs to be unafraid of throwing AB open. just give him a real opportunity to make a play with the ball.

of course that's going to result in turnovers. vick was probably going to turn the ball over for this one anyways as said above.

hawaiiansteeler
10-12-2015, 01:49 PM

but you don't think blame should also go to the OC who basically neutered him for that game?

Mojouw
10-12-2015, 01:58 PM
but you don't think blame should also go to the OC who basically neutered him for that game?

Vick neutered himself. Watch the game again. He refused to throw anything on time or deeper than 5 yards. There was no point in calling anything besides quick hitters, as Vick bailed out of the pocket with little to no pressure every time he had to hold the ball for more than 2 seconds.

Hopefully the rust is off this week and Vick can look and act like an actual professional QB. You can't wait until you "See" guys open in the NFL, you have to throw to your spots and trust your receivers to get there. This has always been Vick's biggest problem. He waits to throw until he sees a player open - by then it is too late. If he doesn't see anything he tucks and runs even without pressure from the rush. In his prime he used to at least give plays time to develop. Now he basically counts to 1.5 or 2 and runs like spooked deer. Not really conducive to running any kind of "offense".

zulater
10-12-2015, 02:19 PM

To be determined. Yeah I think there's a lot more than a little of that if you know what I mean. :lol:

On one side you have a qb who once had something very special, but was still limited in some senses, and we don't really know how much of that something special is still there if any at all.

On the other hand you have an OC who's in love with himself and his system. Now his system has proven to be very beneficial to our franchise qb. (Though his play-calling often leaves something to be desired. ) But can he or will he adjust his system for the sake of the available talent? That is as much a question as Vick's remaining talent. That's why I say you've got to throw caution to the wind. Let Vick make the game plan for this game ( you had 11 days between games, no reason this shouldn't have happened) and find out where in the road Vick's remaining talent and Haley's offensive system can meet and merge.

Honestly I don't have great confidence that this can or will happen. This is a time where I wish Bruce Arians was our OC. I'll admit I was on board with firing Bruce at the time. Still am in fact. I think both he and Ben needed to move on from one another. But to this situation, I think Bruce was more amendable to the available talent. I think whatever Vick has left he would have found the right way to exploit. Now maybe things would have still fallen short, ( which gets us back to the Vick doubt) but with Bruce if it could have worked I know damn well he would have made it work. With Haley, not so much, or maybe not at all?

In the end I still blame Tomlin to a point. Because you can't have expected Vick to come aboard and run our offense as it is. Yes the situation probably determined he was the best available talent at the time of Gradkowski's injury. But you know who your OC is. So as a head coach you either dictate to your OC that he adjust his precious system to the guy who's taking snaps, or you just find the next guy out there.

We should, or correct that I should have more clarity on this about 12.30 tonight.

Rotorhead
10-12-2015, 05:20 PM
Well all the speculation one way or the other will be borne out soon enough . . . I am nervous, but I am hopeful we can put up a W. MB not playing is definitely going to hurt as I was hoping he would be able to help. I will say again what I said before the last game, we are going to need our stars to step it up this game and help our 3rd string QB get a win. Our OL will need to protect better and open up holes for our running game. Our WR's will need to make the difficult catches and fight for the yards. I don't expect Vick to put the team on his shoulders and carry the team (nobody should), but I do expect our starts to do it. Our Def needs to limit the TD's and big plays (which they have been doing). As long as Vick doesn't lose the game or doesn't get put in the position to have to win the game, we will be fine.

TeeTee
10-12-2015, 05:46 PM

Listen folks, had one day of practice, had two weeks of practice, it doesn't matter. Look at his career stats and they tell the story. He has NEVER been a QB who won by reading a D and making accurate throws and he isn't about to now. He won't even be able to drop back and make progressive reads and consistently throw accurate balls. It's not going to happen now. It's hard to win with him at QB, and if not, why did NO other NFL team feel he was worthy of a roster spot before we signed him? Is it impossible to win with him at QB? No. It can be done, it's just not easy. Hopefully, tonight will be one of those games he can win.

56.3 completion %.

157.8 avg yards a game.

132 TDs, 87 ints.

86WARD
10-12-2015, 06:00 PM
Vick neutered himself. Watch the game again. He refused to throw anything on time or deeper than 5 yards. There was no point in calling anything besides quick hitters, as Vick bailed out of the pocket with little to no pressure every time he had to hold the ball for more than 2 seconds.

Hopefully the rust is off this week and Vick can look and act like an actual professional QB. You can't wait until you "See" guys open in the NFL, you have to throw to your spots and trust your receivers to get there. This has always been Vick's biggest problem. He waits to throw until he sees a player open - by then it is too late. If he doesn't see anything he tucks and runs even without pressure from the rush. In his prime he used to at least give plays time to develop. Now he basically counts to 1.5 or 2 and runs like spooked deer. Not really conducive to running any kind of "offense".

Yet they never once threw a quick slant to any of the receivers.

Okiemon
10-12-2015, 08:52 PM
I'm watching, and I think it's more like he's "piecing" it away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

salamander
10-12-2015, 08:59 PM
Vick ain't piecing together shit.

Steelman
10-12-2015, 09:00 PM
But they have the Wildcat!

86WARD
10-12-2015, 09:01 PM
Vick ain't piecing together shit.

He kinda is piecing together "shit".

fansince'76
10-12-2015, 09:02 PM
Steelers offense with Vick "behind the wheel":

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--duGxncNJ--/18nd9eddunkvmjpg.jpg

salamander
10-12-2015, 09:08 PM
He kinda is piecing together "shit".

Yepp. Depends on how you look at it. Lol.

st33lersguy
10-12-2015, 10:54 PM
Gotta give him credit. He stepped up when he had to

salamander
10-12-2015, 10:59 PM
Gotta give him credit. He stepped up when he had to

Agreed.

zulater
10-12-2015, 11:07 PM
Agreed.

Me too.

He came through in the 4th quarter.

86WARD
10-13-2015, 06:11 AM
I feel he was still shitty, he just had better plays more suited to his abilities...if that makes sense?

Count Steeler
10-13-2015, 06:29 AM
I feel he was still shitty, he just had better plays more suited to his abilities...if that makes sense?

He was solid shit until Ben designed the Wheaton TD. I think that gave Vick some confidence and he was talking like they had spent a lot of time on the 2 minute drill. Good thing we were within 1 score. Just shows you how much this defense is improving. Game should have been over at half time, but the defense came up huge to keep the Chargers within reach.