PDA

View Full Version : Defensively who's your pick Jarvis or Blake?

StillCurtains
10-09-2015, 01:43 AM
The defense seems to be coming around and trending up so far this year. I hope that it's a continued upward trend. We're having rotation issues at NT due to injuries, and I know most of us don't like Cam Thomas in the rotation. McClendon has played fair and McCullers has been hurt.

We've been mostly solid with W. Allen, Mitchell, Gay, Cockrell, Moats, and Timmons.
Shazier has been great while playing and Spence has been solid while filling in.

Heyward and Tuitt of course have been monsters. So that would leave Jarvis and Blake on the outside looking in. So, if you were to chose one player to be removed from the starting lineup, who would it be?

Blake is a liability in coverage and ball skills. He also at times allows extra yards by not wrapping up on his tackling. As for Jarvis, is he a bust? I really hope not! As far as what I've seen, his run defense is solid, but to me it seems he still struggles with shedding blocks while pass rushing.

Is his strength the issue? I don't know, but it also seems his first step rushing the passer is slow.
I also am concerned about the fact that he doesn't have a mean streak to play the position.
Is it due to the lack of snaps rotating with Harrison?

I'm not sure, it's hard to gauge but as of right now, not to anyone's surprise I would remove Blake. I like his fire, intensity and hard hitting, but if we have a 2 point lead with a minute and 30 seconds left on the clock at midfield with the opponent facing 4th and 7, Could Blake get us off the field if the ball came his way? I really dont think he can?

What are your thoughts?

Count Steeler
10-09-2015, 05:06 AM
Judging by last game, Jones is falling on the coaches list. Hardly anytime on the field when it mattered most. So, I remain hopeful that the coaches will make the right decisions at OLB.

Blake is the obvious choice, for me, because his back up is better than he is. If the coaches remain stubborn, then I wish for a quick heal for Cortez. I think the coaches would put in Cortez ahead of Blake and break their stubbornness. You have to put your best 11 on the field and I don't think Blake is there right now.

StillCurtains
10-09-2015, 05:25 AM
Judging by last game, Jones is falling on the coaches list. Hardly anytime on the field when it mattered most. So, I remain hopeful that the coaches will make the right decisions at OLB.

Blake is the obvious choice, for me, because his back up is better than he is. If the coaches remain stubborn, then I wish for a quick heal for Cortez. I think the coaches would put in Cortez ahead of Blake and break their stubbornness. You have to put your best 11 on the field and I don't think Blake is there right now.

Yeah, pretty much sucks with Jarvis, I hope that Joey can whip him into shape being such a high pick. Against New England, Cortez wasn't great but he also wasn't terrible. There were not too many guys that stood out that day defensively.

That PI call on Cortez vs the Pats I thought was a bang bang play. I thought it was more contact from Amendola (or was it Edelman) than Cortez. We have't seen him since due to injury, but I feel that it's unfair to judge him after one game. For some reason he seems to get a very short leash. Not sure if he'll be available Monday but he had a full practice Thursday.

Either way, Blake needs to be replaced. I feel Cortez is better than him but needs the time to prove so.

86WARD
10-09-2015, 05:40 AM

I don't think Tomlin always puts his best 11 on the field.

OLB can sometimes be "covered up" but Blake is out on an island by himself...

Count Steeler
10-09-2015, 01:56 PM
I don't think Tomlin always puts his best 11 on the field.

I completely agree. He and the coordinators can get very stubborn. Willing to take some risks with some, but not with others. I really hope we see some reps for Chick before he is put on waivers again. Cause I got a feeling he isn't clearing waivers this time.