PDA

View Full Version : Steelers 8th in points allowed

TeeTee
10-07-2015, 11:51 AM
http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=2&season=2015&seasonType=REG&role=OPP&d-447263-n=1&d-447263-o=2&d-447263-p=1&conference=ALL&defensiveStatisticCategory=GAME_STATS&d-447263-s=TOTAL_POINTS_GAME_AVG

And that includes playing IN Foxborough.

Not bad. We are giving up 18.8 points a game.

Is it time we stop claiming the offense needs to score 35 or we lose?

Brady has been caving everyone's skulls in, much worse than he did vs. our D.

Do we have a super good D? No. Is it a hot mess? No.

When Ben gets back, we might be a real force.

polamalubeast
10-07-2015, 11:55 AM
Is it time we stop claiming the offense needs to score 35 or we lose?

Yes and it was always a stupid statement.

This defense will have a Good test Monday night in San Diego too.

teegre
10-07-2015, 01:00 PM
This is defense doesn't need to be "good", it just needs to be "good enough". 8th is good enough.

Oh, and as Tuitt & Shazier get more comfortable, that ranking should go up.

Count Steeler
10-07-2015, 01:34 PM
The defense will keep improving. Once it is not possible for Boykin to get 60% of the snaps, he may see the field as well.

Who knows? It may actually be the defense that gets us through this patch with Ben sidelined.

tube517
10-07-2015, 02:04 PM
This is defense doesn't need to be "good", it just needs to be "good enough". 8th is good enough.

This. With this offense, we don't need a 2008 defense. It would be nice but not needed.

TeeTee
10-07-2015, 03:09 PM
Is it too early to conclude dumping Dick (which also means Troy and Ike) was absolutely the right thing to do?

Psycho Ward 86
10-07-2015, 03:43 PM
want to see the defense keep trending up. Boykin in for Blake.

dare to dream. get it done Tomlin

Count Steeler
10-07-2015, 04:40 PM
Is it too early to conclude dumping Dick (which also means Troy and Ike) was absolutely the right thing to do?

Don't think one proves the other. Even if the defense was doing crap, it was time to move on from LeBeau.

fansince'76
10-07-2015, 04:59 PM
Even if the defense was doing crap, it was time to move on from LeBeau.

IMO, that should have happened right after he basically allowed Tebow to look like an actual NFL QB. If anything, it was a move that was 3 years overdue.

GBMelBlount
10-07-2015, 05:53 PM

Assuming Shazier stays healthy.

I am shocked at how well this defense has played.

I thought it would take half the season before they might even start to gel.

teegre
10-07-2015, 06:09 PM

Alas...

Indeed

Me, too.

j-d-s
10-07-2015, 09:00 PM
Don't think one proves the other. Even if the defense was doing crap, it was time to move on from LeBeau.

Totally agree. Even when in the preseason it looked like our D would break all the records for worst in the league, I still thought it was time to move on. LeBeau is a great coach, but he didn't fit in here anymore. Similar to when we moved on from Arians. Certainly Arians is a great coach, but it didn't work out in Pittsburgh anymore. I can live with him being two-time coach of the year and doing great things at Steelers-West.

cali_fan
10-08-2015, 02:01 AM

Our defense didn't really gel till after the Saints game last year.
Took long enough

teegre
10-08-2015, 06:50 AM
Our defense didn't really gel till after the Saints game last year.
Took long enough

I think that that is his point: the defense is good enough right now... and by season's end, it should be pretty good.

Rotorhead
10-08-2015, 02:53 PM
Well if Shazier can stay healthy, he looks like he could be another Troy type impact player. He has the speed, hits like a train and seems to have good instincts so far. We can only hope!

TeeTee
10-08-2015, 03:06 PM
The defense will keep improving. Once it is not possible for Boykin to get 60% of the snaps, he may see the field as well.

Who knows? It may actually be the defense that gets us through this patch with Ben sidelined.

It did against the Rams (holding them to a measly 6 points). We need the D to be at least solid to survive the sans-Ben period. Once he gets back, we will be lighting up the points like a pin ball machine.

Count Steeler
10-08-2015, 03:15 PM
It did against the Rams (holding them to a measly 6 points). We need the D to be at least solid to survive the sans-Ben period. Once he gets back, we will be lighting up the points like a pin ball machine.

Could be fun as long as we make the playoffs.

j-d-s
10-08-2015, 04:39 PM
That will depend on when Ben can be back. If he in fact does return at KC, I think have a good chance at making the playoffs even if we are at 2-4 by then. 3-3 would be obviously better, but I think we would have to win monday in San Diego to do that since the Steelers-West are a pretty solid team.

hawaiiansteeler
10-08-2015, 05:52 PM
I think that that is his point: the defense is good enough right now... and by season's end, it should be pretty good.

I'm hoping for "solid"...

teegre
10-08-2015, 06:07 PM
I'm hoping for "solid"...

:applaudit: