PDA

View Full Version : Steeler's 1994 Defense is the mold we should look to be.

StillCurtains
10-06-2015, 06:45 PM
Hello again Steeler Fans!

I'm aware that we have had MANY great Steeler defenses. Primarily the Steel Curtain Defense of the 70's. However, with the rule changes that exist in this league starting with those defenses with "The Mel Blount Rule", they were forced to adjust. The way Noll adjusted to this was simple, he looked to his offense! He intelligently knew that those same rules would also favor them offensively, with a rocket arm in Bradshaw, and two of the best WR's in the game in Swann and Stallworth. Noll took advantage of other defenses and went deep, knowing that the defense could no longer win by themselves.

I was too young to witness how good these teams were, but I've seen the flashes through their highlights, and knew what their philosophies were. Fastforward to Cowher's 1994 Defense. This defense is the greatest defense I've witnessed in my time. It was outright NASTY led by Dom Capers the defensive coordinator. Yes, he adopted some of Lebeau's zone blitz concepts who was also on the defensive staff, but Capers had his own twist to it. This was a NASTY, INTIMIDATING, PHYSICAL, BALLHAWKING, AGGRESSIVE STYLE defense.

It was FAR from bend but don't break. Capers had a mixture of man, zone, and off coverages that kept offenses off balance. The plethora of blitzes were amazing as he blitzed all 11. They were young, fast, and attacked. The very best offenses quaked in fear as soon as they stepped on the field. We had the best front 7 in the game, the best pass rush in the game, and also the best secondary in the game.

They were high in sacks, you couldn't run, and you couldn't throw into our secondary. They were a turnover machine in both fumbles and interceptions. This defense was miles better than the 2008 version. The 2008 team led in yards and points allowed, but the true reason was the amount of possessions there were against the 94 Team. Their turnovers and stops gave more possessions to opponents as well as their pedestrian offense.

With Lebeau, he kept his zone blits concepts, but added his twist with Tackle the Catch, forcing teams to be patient with short passes with long sustained drives. The problem is this gives up points allowing teams to get in field goal range easily. It doesn't create many turnovers unless you have a great front seven to cause strip sacks and fumbles or errant throws to the secondary. The corner position's only job is to tackle in run support, and not let plays get behind them.

Troy was truly the only constant player to make plays on the ball in the secondary due to his disguising, and it showed when he wasn't on the field. Taylor was a good corner, but could not be depended on to get a turnover. Townsend and Gay are serviceable, but you could never leave them to cover top level WR's. Let's be realistic.
The problem is that time has changed from this concept, and Lebeau refused to derive from it. You can say his talent dropped off, not true, Lebeau had some say in the players that he wanted to draft. In most cases he would not give the drafted players playing time to develop unless injury or the staff finally pulling the plug on older players.

Well the players don't know the defense? Well it's your job to simplify it to help your players be successful. If his defense is so complicated, it really hasn't been hard for even pedestrian QB's to pick it apart, not even with his best defensive units. Like I said, the league has changed drastically since 2008. Instead of 3,000 yard passers, you are now having 5,000 yard passers. You can no longer use fundementally sound tackling corners to just have tackling abilities. You now need to have some corners with coverage and ball skill abilities.

Some of the aguement is look how many Superbowls Lebeau has won for us! Well firstly as I said, times have changed. You can also look at those Superbowls to see that change of philosophy was progressively evident. Superbowl 40, quick releases to neutralize the pass rush, while allowing receivers to gain yards after the catch was the game plan. The Seahawks shredded this secondary. They Seahawks lost this game simply by shhoting themselves in the foot by boneheaded penalties, but not by the Steeler's defense.

Superbowl 43, Arizona started off trying to run the ball and throwing passes to their backs in the flat. They really didn't challenge the secondary in the first half. Kurt Warner was upset stating that it is not the way you attack their defense. This was the number one defense in the league mind you! The second half, Arizona used Seattle's game plan and took the lead. If they use that game plan from the beginning, we lose.

Superbowl 45, Green Bay used the SAME game plan as Seattle did and Arizona did in the second half. The reason they won is because they did not shoot themselves in the foot with boneheaded penalties as Seattle did, and they used the same game plan as Seattle for the WHOLE game as opposed to Arizona for one half.

You can easily see the downward trend that Lebeau refused to consider. Just 2 years ago he said he was comfortable with what we had in the secondary which made us go the direction we have. Again, talent is not an excuse as he had say in the picks.

You can't state that Lebeau won those Superbowls. That's far from the truth. Cowher had many top defensive units and didn't get it done. The TRUE reason that we won those Superbowls is strictly BEN ROETHLISBERGER. He was the element that was missing for many of those 90's and early 2000's Cowher teams and Lebeau would not have had 2 without him either.

So my hope is that Butler trends more towards the 1994 Style defense and leave the tackle the catch, bend but don't break approach alone. Because if you build and mold your defense in the mold of the 1994 Defense, that is absolute dangerous element to add with Roethlisberger.

polamalubeast
10-06-2015, 06:54 PM
I hate the bend but don't break defense since it not work against teams like the Patriots, who are great in the red zone....

StillCurtains
10-06-2015, 07:05 PM
I hate the bend but don't break defense since it not work against teams like the Patriots, who are great in the red zone....
MAN,

So true my bro, so true. That is what the league is trending to now. Quick release throws allowing receivers to gain yards after catch. It's even easier if you play corners too far off the ball every play, and don't have corners that have the ability to cover and have ball skills to allow the pass rush more time.

Butler already seems to be more aggressive than Lebeau. Lets hope it continues, but a start would be starting Boykin over useless Blake.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW... Check out the stats of that 1994 defense! They were absolutely AMAZING!!

polamalubeast
10-06-2015, 07:11 PM

- - - Updated - - -

BTW... Check out the stats of that 1994 defense! They were absolutely AMAZING!!

Yeah,I know....

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/pit/1994.htm

Steeldude
10-07-2015, 07:34 AM
The difference is the Steelers do not have the talent on defense to even come close to 1994.

86WARD
10-07-2015, 08:32 AM
Not even in the ball park...

lipps83
10-07-2015, 10:44 AM
OP was very well written. Lebeau get's way to much credit. Yes, he had some good defenses with the Steelers, but he was also handed them on a silver platter. His schemes were novel and did change the way defense was played, but just because you are the creator of something does not mean you are also the best at running it.

He took over the #1 defense in the NFL with the Bengal in 1983. He proceeded to make them way worse, they only were statistically top 10 once in his initial stay. His last year running the defense they were DEAD LAST. He cannot build a defense.

Cowher and Capers were the reason for the success of the defense in the 90's. Before Lebeau's 2nd stay the Steelers had the #1 defense under Tim Lewis in 2001. Remember him? They slid a bit before 2004 but were still top 10.

In training camp last year Lebeau said that defense was looking like the best he had ever seen (what else could he really say?). They proceeded to be the worst defense the Steelers have had in a long, long time. The game passed Lebeau up completely in 2010.

Is he a good dude, absolutely. A good coach, for sure. A good coordinator.................well........

Cowher even said it best when Lebeau left the first time. How is the defense going to be as good after Lebeau left for the Bengals. He said, and I quote, "I AM STILL HERE."

And they were still good, even after the 'great one' left.

Count Steeler
10-07-2015, 01:53 PM
This defense can be very special in 2-3 years if it addresses the secondary. They tried with 3 picks this past draft. Next year they may get more serious and take a CB/S in one of the first 2 rounds and hopefully the quality is there at #32. If not, another OLB is always welcomed.

StillCurtains
10-07-2015, 02:11 PM
The difference is the Steelers do not have the talent on defense to even come close to 1994.

I understand that, what I'm saying is that the style and the way to build it would be a nice way to go.
The front 7 is good with the exception of needing hits at outside LB.

We basicaly need to rebuild the entire secondary. Will Allen and Gay won't be here forever. Mitchell is average, Cockrell has promise but will he return? Shamarko is a bust, Cortez is weak minded, Blake is laughabley worthless, and Boykin won't think of returning for being in the doghouse.

86WARD
10-07-2015, 06:58 PM
No way Boykin comes back. Colbert wasted those mid-round 2016 picks...not like it would've mattered anyway...

GBMelBlount
10-07-2015, 07:05 PM
OP was very well written. Lebeau get's way to much credit. Yes, he had some good defenses with the Steelers, but he was also handed them on a silver platter. His schemes were novel and did change the way defense was played, but just because you are the creator of something does not mean you are also the best at running it.

He took over the #1 defense in the NFL with the Bengal in 1983. He proceeded to make them way worse, they only were statistically top 10 once in his initial stay. His last year running the defense they were DEAD LAST. He cannot build a defense.

This could also be attributed to the fact that it can take years, even decades to master coaching.

You can liken it to CEO's often needing 30 years to gain the knowledge and experience to properly run a corporation.

It is complex and there are many facets to it.

Just sayin.