PDA

View Full Version : Yeah that's right... Bring em all!!!

StillCurtains
10-03-2015, 03:23 PM
Alot of us, including myself were skeptical on how this defense was going to perform this year. We started off with a rough game against Brady. The defense clearly had communication breakdowns, but for me that was expected with them all being on the field together for the first time, as well as Butler being the new coordinator. They were better than I expected and it turns out, they held the Pats to their lowest point total so far.

The San Francisco game they were obviously better. I wasn't very happy about the passing yards given to Kaepernick, but all around a better performance. The Rams game, once again they were better and in a tight game while losing Ben, the situational defense was excellent.

The Ravens game was their best defensive performance yet. Some of you can say what? Our run defense was gashed! That's true, but there is good reason for this. Yes they could have done much better and gave up some drives. However, as well as Spence has played, you can't replace Shazier's speed and playmaking ability. He had 15 tackles in his last outing. That was a factor.

Also due to the dialed down offense with Vick with only 3 days to prepare, it made things easier to defend for Baltimore, leaving our defense on the field for almost 40 minutes. I'm sure they were winded. Then add in the fact that Cam Thomas was in the game as well and that gives you all you need to know about getting gashed vs the run.

How can I say that the defensive performance vs the Ravens was the best when they gave up 6 points vs the Rams and 23 vs the Ravens? Simple... First keep in mind the things I've already mentioned. Now also factor in that Jordan Berry had a rough game giving Baltimore good field position.

Our offense's inability to operate as they would with Ben also helped swap field position for Baltimore's offense. With all that in mind the defense played Nick Foles the previous week and Flacco the next. With all other things factored in, that's what made this performance the best.

As of late, Flacco has been torching our defense. In previous years our pass rush has not been able to even get NEAR him let alone 5 sacks. We also have not been able to pick him off as we did this game. He was held to under 200 yards passing on 33 attempts! This is the most uncomfortable we have made Flacco look in a very long time.

Who would have thought this defense would be giving up only 18.8 ppg. after 4 games played? One of the differences is that they are no longer as predictable as coaches stated Lebeau was. We had pressure from Woodley & Harrison while dropping Farrior and Foote or Timmons in coverage, while roving or Blitzing Troy. There were only 3 players that offenses had to be concerned with in pressuring the QB and that was Woodley, Harrison and Troy.

Not to mention Lebeau's cushion coverage and tackle the catch mentality. Butler's defense seems to be trending away from tackle the catch. He also mixes up his secondary coverages by playing both off and press man coverages. This keeps defenses guessing. There are some hear that feel that this defense is bend but don't break. I disagree. This is an aggressive attacking style defense.

The Linebackers are no longer the only position that is depended on to apply pressure. Butler is using all 11 guys. The pressure is coming from both the Linebacker AND Defensive end positions. Also ALL corners and safties are coming with the blitz. This is why they were so successful against Flacco.

Before all Flacco had to be concerned with was just 3 GUYS coming at him! But now Butler is sending ALL 11 making it much more difficult for offenses to predict where the pressure is coming from. Preparing for 11 guys is much more difficult than 3 so I say, that's right... Bring em all!! It's much better than sitting back and doing nothing.

Now if we can only get Jarvis to play like a 1st round pick and get Boykin on the field to replace Blake we're in business. Well that's another topic.

hawaiiansteeler
10-03-2015, 03:27 PM
Now if we can only get Jarvis to play like a 1st round pick and get Boykin on the field to replace Blake we're in business. Well that's another topic.

we completely wasted next year's 6th round draft pick on Scoobee Don't, and we're not getting a very good return on next year's 5th round selection either with Boykin.

how many defensive snaps has Boykin played so far this season, eleven?

lipps83
10-03-2015, 03:40 PM
I am more than pleased with Butler so far and I was probably one of his biggest critics. All preseason and the Pats game it looked like this guy was just getting play calls from Lebeau over the phone. Then he started to turn it up. I give the Ravens game an A++ even with the rush yards against. Yes, the Steelers lost but the defense went down swinging and clawing and hitting everything in sight. Loved it.

TeeTee
10-03-2015, 03:41 PM
we completely wasted next year's 6th round draft pick on Scoobee Don't, and we're not getting a very good return on next year's 5th round selection either with Boykin.

Well, I'm not too upset over gambling with a 5th and 6th draft pick for these two; I believe Boink will still work out and it's not as if Colbert gets many hits with rounds past the 3rd to begin with.

StillCurtains
10-03-2015, 03:44 PM

Yeah, I can't blame the Scobee move being that he WAS a solid kicker and we had to make a move after losing Suisham and Hartley. Let's just put that down as shear bad luck.

But Boykin? I've seen this guy play from day one in Philadelphia. He's a really good corner. But we start Blake, a guy that couldn't crack Jacksonville's 53 and we signed from their PRACTICE SQUAD and we start him over Boykin?

86WARD
10-03-2015, 05:47 PM
There must be something about Boykin that irks the coaching staff...I get a feel though that it's like a Lance Moore type thing...:noidea:

tube517
10-03-2015, 05:50 PM
There must be something about Boykin that irks the coaching staff...I get a feel though that it's like a Lance Moore type thing...:dunno:

Exactly what I'm thinking.

Drazo85
10-03-2015, 09:06 PM
There must be something about Boykin that irks the coaching staff...I get a feel though that it's like a Lance Moore type thing...:noidea:

Draft pick maybe!?

StillCurtains
10-03-2015, 10:09 PM

Yeah, with Boykin I think first he was trying to be patient. After the New England game, he said that he didn't know why he wasn't playing, but said that he would approach the coaches if it continued. I think he became frustrated after continuing to watch Blake, a player that the Steelers picked up from Jacksonville's practice squad, is starting over him when it's clear he has no coverage skills and gives up catch after catch. I think Boykin's patience wore out, and he did just what he said he would do, and that's confront the coaches and therefore, he's in the dog house.

Steeldude
10-04-2015, 01:53 AM
Yeah, with Boykin I think first he was trying to be patient. After the New England game, he said that he didn't know why he wasn't playing, but said that he would approach the coaches if it continued. I think he became frustrated after continuing to watch Blake, a player that the Steelers picked up from Jacksonville's practice squad, is starting over him when it's clear he has no coverage skills and gives up catch after catch. I think Boykin's patience wore out, and he did just what he said he would do, and that's confront the coaches and therefore, he's in the dog house.

Isn't that what happened in Philadelphia too? Boykins blamed Kelly, but I wonder if Boykins is the problem.

teegre
10-04-2015, 02:02 AM
Isn't that what happened in Philadelphia too? Boykins blamed Kelly, but I wonder if Boykins is the problem.

That was my thought, as well.

steelreserve
10-04-2015, 03:51 AM
Boykins can't be worse that what Blake showed us last game, so I say throw him in there and what the hell.

I don't think giving up a draft pick for him (or Scobee) was a bad idea; we got one of them back by trading away our shitty punter from last year.

I like Butler so far. After a dumbass decision to play the sit-back against New England again, he's at least being aggressive in stretches, and making the most out of a messy personnel situation. I think he's a good breath of fresh air at the right time.