PDA

View Full Version : Sometimes we can expect waaaay too much!

StillCurtains
10-02-2015, 10:07 PM
Hello Steeler Fans!

I would love for things to be much better than they are like everyone else here, but the reality is, they aren't. I know teams have gone through some adversity and bumps and bruises so far, but I have yet to see a team dealing with as much as as the Steelers are. Here's what I mean, before the season started here was the hand we were dealt off the bat:

Bell: Suspended 2 games
Suisham: Out for the year
Hartley: signed to replace Suisham, out indefinately
Golson:2nd round draft pick, out for the year
Boykin: signed to replace Golson, doesn't see the field.
Scobee: gave up draft pick to replace Suisham and Hartley, Bombing out
Bryant: Suspended 4 games
Gradkowski: Backup QB, out for the year, forced to sign Vick
Pouncey: Out at least 8 games
Shazier: missed 2 games, out indefinately
McCullers: missed 3 games, out indefinately
Ben: Out at least 4 games
Wheaton: Ankle, status unknown

That's alot to deal with but yet we're 2-2! Let's hope things come together.

86WARD
10-03-2015, 06:26 AM
Yeah....that's a pretty bad hand to be dealt...to any team.

stillers4me
10-03-2015, 06:44 AM
Quit making so much sense! :lol:

I think my frustration is the potential we still had up until the next to last line of that list.

86WARD
10-03-2015, 07:38 AM
Quit making so much sense! :lol:

I think my frustration is the potential we still had up until the next to last line of that list.

Same here. With that hand, they could have won that New England game and gave the Ravens game away...handed it to Baltimore and may have given Baltimore the confidence they need to turn their season around...

tube517
10-03-2015, 07:53 AM
I don't think the season is lost but having a game slip away like that is why I have the ambulance on speed dial. I can't stand games like that. Just way too excruciating like that damn Jax game in 2005. I was in a bar for that game and it was like a funeral in there. Of course that season ended pretty good :chuckle:

Also, Spaeth and McCullers were out this game meaning we lost some blocking and we had to play our dirty dick 3rd string NT and you saw the result of those gaping holes in the run game. Not an excuse but it doesn't help either.

86WARD
10-03-2015, 12:40 PM
Dropping games you should easily win or even worse, had in the win column drives me up the wall...

st33lersguy
10-03-2015, 01:23 PM
Is it too much to ask to hold a 13-point lead at home and not make brain-dead playcalls all game?

TeeTee
10-03-2015, 02:29 PM
Is it too much to ask to hold a 13-point lead at home and not make brain-dead playcalls all game?

Yea, I don't want to hear the "it's not so bad" mode. I mean, we have a long way to go, and I am not throwing in the towel on the season, but we had a 13-point lead vs. an 0-3 team, at home, on prime time, and we lost. That is inexcusable. And it took a perfect storm of bad coaching, horrid kicking and a poor attempt at an easy pass for it to go down.

StillCurtains
10-03-2015, 04:27 PM
Yea, I don't want to hear the "it's not so bad" mode. I mean, we have a long way to go, and I am not throwing in the towel on the season, but we had a 13-point lead vs. an 0-3 team, at home, on prime time, and we lost. That is inexcusable. And it took a perfect storm of bad coaching, horrid kicking and a poor attempt at an easy pass for it to go down.

So you think anyone here is happy about the loss? This is not an it's not so bad angle. I agree with that it was a bad decision to not use Bell in AT LEAST one of the 4th down plays or at least give them the illusion that he would get the ball by having him in th backfield. However THAT didn't happen so I'm over it.

Would I have gone for it? Yes, Scobee missed the previous 2 and I had no confidence in him making it either. The point is that it's Scobee that put them in that situation. Giving up the pick for him I thought was a good move. Prior to this fiasco, he WAS a solid kicker. We lost Suisham and Hartley so what would you have done?

Good kickers don't grow on trees so what available kicker would you have brought in? That's just absolute bad luck. Yeah it sucks we had a 13 point lead. Yes it sucks we let it slip away, but Vick wasn't going to throw for 350 yards and 4TD's and 0 INT's and 30/40 with just 3 days to prepare. Those numbers are Big Ben numbers. How aggressive can you be offensively with such a small amount of time to prepare?

You get too aggressive, then Vick throws picks and you lose that way. As I said, Not enough preparation time. Ok, Landry Jones knows the offense. Would you have used him instead? If we would swap the scenario with Baltimore and Shaub only had 3 days to prepare and was not in camp, what do you think their offense would have looked like?

How do you think he would have faired vs Ben? Do you think that Shaub would have torched us with his defense giving him the ability to give them a 13 point lead after 3 days of preparation? I think not. I feel Ben could have come back and beat them as well with their offense being handicapped.

I'm not saying it doesn't suck and I'm not saying it's ok, but I'm simply saying be realistic.

Mojouw
10-03-2015, 04:53 PM
All I can say, is look at the list that started this thread. The Steelers are 2-2. Now look at the Ravens. They have no really significant injuries. They are 1-3 and had to go to OVERTIME to beat a crippled Steelers team and our cobbled together pass rush and secondary made Flacco look far less than "elite".

Seriously, ask yourself, which roster and which set of meeting rooms would you rather deal with come Monday morning? The one where you have 10 days to get your back-up QB ready or the one where your 20+ million franchise QB just looked terrible against a secondary that he should have torn to shreds? The one where you are getting a difference making WR back from suspension or the one where your only viable WR just broke 4 ribs? The one where an OL missing their best player protected well enough or the one that gave up multiple sacks?

I could go on, but you all can see the point. The Ravens are not a good team and it sucks that the Steelers lost to them, but I would bet on the Steelers to be the last ones standing at the end of the season.

StillCurtains
10-03-2015, 06:31 PM
All I can say, is look at the list that started this thread. The Steelers are 2-2. Now look at the Ravens. They have no really significant injuries. They are 1-3 and had to go to OVERTIME to beat a crippled Steelers team and our cobbled together pass rush and secondary made Flacco look far less than "elite".

Seriously, ask yourself, which roster and which set of meeting rooms would you rather deal with come Monday morning? The one where you have 10 days to get your back-up QB ready or the one where your 20+ million franchise QB just looked terrible against a secondary that he should have torn to shreds? The one where you are getting a difference making WR back from suspension or the one where your only viable WR just broke 4 ribs? The one where an OL missing their best player protected well enough or the one that gave up multiple sacks?

I could go on, but you all can see the point. The Ravens are not a good team and it sucks that the Steelers lost to them, but I would bet on the Steelers to be the last ones standing at the end of the season.

MIC DROP!!!!

86WARD
10-03-2015, 06:35 PM

That's not true about the injuries: Suggs is pretty significant. Breshard Perriman was supposed to be a starter at WR. They look at that as significant. They lost Dennis Pitta. But I Agree with the rest of what you have there.

Mojouw
10-03-2015, 07:12 PM
That's not true about the injuries: Suggs is pretty significant. Breshard Perriman was supposed to be a starter at WR. They look at that as significant. They lost Dennis Pitta. But I Agree with the rest of what you have there.

I forgot about Suggs. Wasn't counting Perriman because I think he will be DHB or Steven Hill 2.0. But I am likely being too pessimistic, his old man was pretty damn good. Pitta, they planned for and replaced with Boyle, Williams, etc.

BUt, yeah, Suggs will be a big hole for any team to fill.

86WARD
10-03-2015, 07:20 PM
Yeah Perriman remains to be seen, but I know they were depending pretty heavily on him to participate and contribute.