PDA

View Full Version : 2015 Ravens game = 2005 Jaguars game.

Edman
10-02-2015, 06:08 PM
A really bad and frustrating home loss to a beatable team due to spectacular blunders by the coaching staff, and forced to sit Ben for a measurable amount of time.

Josh Scobee was our Tommy Maddox last night.

Yes, I am comparing this 2015 team to the 2005 team. The 2015 Steelers are just as talented and just as good, if not more than the '05 team, also, just like the '05 team, it has a bad tendency to shoot itself in the foot and lose winnable games. It's going to be rough until Ben comes back, but if Vick just does what he did last night (Sans the terrible playcalling and gameplan), this team will have a chance.

If there is anything I hate more, is seeing the Steelers self-destruct to lose. They killed themselves against the Pats, and again last night. I can't stand it. They say your record is what it is, but would you look at the 2011 Steelers and say they were 12-4 worthy? This is a 4-0 team, but are 2-2.

Combined total of losses: 10 points.

Gonna be a long 11 days.

polamalubeast
10-02-2015, 06:10 PM
Good comparaison.

StillCurtains
10-02-2015, 07:36 PM
A really bad and frustrating home loss to a beatable team due to spectacular blunders by the coaching staff, and forced to sit Ben for a measurable amount of time.

Josh Scobee was our Tommy Maddox last night.

Yes, I am comparing this 2015 team to the 2005 team. The 2015 Steelers are just as talented and just as good, if not more than the '05 team, also, just like the '05 team, it has a bad tendency to shoot itself in the foot and lose winnable games. It's going to be rough until Ben comes back, but if Vick just does what he did last night (Sans the terrible playcalling and gameplan), this team will have a chance.

If there is anything I hate more, is seeing the Steelers self-destruct to lose. They killed themselves against the Pats, and again last night. I can't stand it. They say your record is what it is, but would you look at the 2011 Steelers and say they were 12-4 worthy? This is a 4-0 team, but are 2-2.

Combined total of losses: 10 points.

Gonna be a long 11 days.

Man Edman!

Couldn't have been said better from a TRUE Steeler fan! Baltimore was absolutely outplayed! The defense was lights out! Yeah they can be better, and got gashed some by the run, but they also were on the field for almost 40 minutes! I Love what Butler is doing! This aggressive style is fun to watch!

Coaches said Lebeau became too predictable. Blitzes only cane from Harrison, Woodley, and Troy. Butler is bringing pressure from the DE's and Linebackers. He also is blitzing EVERYONE from the secondary! He's making offenses account fir the WHOLE DEFENSE and not just one guy.

It makes it harder for the offense to know where the pressure is coming from instead of just 3 guys. I also like how he's disguising secondary coverages by mixing up both off and press coverages. The result, it made Flacco look more pedestrian against us as he has in a very long time. We also have not been able to sack him as of late.

I also happened to make the same comparison with this game and the 2015 Jacksonville loss after this game was over. We more lost it than they won. This was a very FREAKISH type loss. How many times do you win the turnover battle 2-0 and lose the game? Unreal..... Nice post!

tube517
10-03-2015, 05:42 AM
In a way, you could see that INT coming by Tommy Turnover in that game. You just shake your head and want to put your fist through the door. Same with Scooby missing. Both the misses were just gut wrenching and you can't do anything about it.

Mojouw
10-04-2015, 04:53 PM
So just to be clear, should they have fired Bill Cowher in 2005 for letting Maddox throw?

:couch:

86WARD
10-05-2015, 02:22 AM
No. Cowher wasn't building a resume of a bumbling idiot...

fansince'76
10-05-2015, 09:55 AM

Allowing a clearly-concussed Roethlisberger to start against the Raiders the following season and play the entire game while throwing 4 picks (including 2 pick-sixes) kinda suggests otherwise...

polamalubeast
10-05-2015, 09:59 AM
This is different, since it was obvious that Cowher had lost his passion after winning the Super Bowl.

fansince'76
10-05-2015, 10:00 AM
So the entire team and fanbase suffered while he collected a paycheck while not giving a shit. Wonderful.

Personally, I think it had more to do with his complete inability to manage QBs. Which is also how we wound up with the far-too-long "Kordell Era."

Mojouw
10-05-2015, 10:42 AM
Admit it, you all just defend Cowher because you like the yelling and spitting. Attack Tomlin because he is too passive in body language. Right? I mean really most of the criticisms I see around here are based on perception, "vibe", and how things make us all feel not on #'s and results.

I'm not certain Tomlin is a great coach or even a very good one either. But I know he doesn't deserve the axe. At this point, Haley could call 75 bubble screens in a row and I would give him the benefit of the doubt - look at the offense he has put together when all the pieces are healthy. Dear Lord, the Steelers have never been this good on offense in my lifetime.

You want to get a barometer ( a realistic one) for coaches who should be fired. Take a look in San Francisco. They might as well simply give up and run the Veer or some other stone age high school offense. There is a franchise who is out of ideas on offense. What about the tire fire that is the Miami Dolphins? Players are openly advocating for coaching firings. Chip Kelly - not much more to say. What about whatever is going on with the Redskins? Successive coaching staffs have literally destroyed the career of their supposed cornerstone player. Hell, Pagano can't figure out how to win consistently with "the best young QB ever". Seriously, which two offseason acquisitions would you rather have - Deangelo Williams and Sammie Coates or Frank Gore and Andre Johnson? Which coaching staff are comprised of "bumbling idiots" again? Look at the Ravens. Their secondary is as bad as the Steelers and they didn't do much to address it aside from crossing their fingers and hoping that players coming off significant injuries would play as good or better than before they were hurt. What about that fake field goal call against the Steelers on Thursday? If the Ravens would have lost, should Harbaugh have been fired for taking points off the board on the road?

I could go on, but the repeated and continued calls for wholesale firings are just getting ridiculous. Does this team have some serious issues to correct? Absolutely - chief among them is learning how to tackle consistently. That drives me up a wall. Scobee is never able to screw up the game if Moats just wraps up whatever practice squad receiver miraculously eluded him on that sweep. Another big one is developing and implementing a consistent strategy for sub 2 minute time management. Feels like that one is always made up on the fly.

Tomlin is always going to be who he is. He coaches on gut feel. Sometimes it works - remember when he let Roethlisberger toss one on 3rd down in an AFC Championship game to seal the deal? I do. Most coaches would have run it then. Sometimes Tomlin's aggressive playcalls are going to back-fire. Either you like it or you don't. I prefer the HC that consistently tosses the dice.

Mojouw
10-05-2015, 10:49 AM
Another big shot at the staff is # of penalties. This was a particular sore point last year. Bills have racked up more in 4 games than anyone - ever.

So by the standard set on this board - Ryan has to go. Right?

http://deadspin.com/the-bills-cant-stop-taking-penalties-1734668222

I know I'm being kind of a jack-ass - but seriously stop and think about what is realistic and what is just emotional over-reaction.

polamalubeast
10-05-2015, 10:57 AM
I never say that Tomlin was one of the worst coach in the NFL!...It's just that I do not understand Haley/Tomlin not used Bell in the 3rd down and 2 in the 2 occasions in overtime.

The ravens were unable to stop Bell in overtime and for the majority of the game.

teegre
10-05-2015, 05:48 PM

CowherSux, KillCowher, and Ih8Cowher disagree.

(Those are real screen names from 2005.)

People like those three were all over Cowher... even when he won XL. They gave him ZERO credit for winning the SuperBowl, saying that if it weren't for him, BB might have thrown 5 TDs in that game. Their reasoning: hypercritical, blind hatred.

Likewise, the year before, when the Steelers lost in the AFCCG (when BB played like a rookie), they annihilated Cowher. Their reasoning: hypercritical, blind hatred.

The things said about Cowher in 2005 (and 2004, and especially in 2003) and eerily similar to what is being said in 2015 about Tomlin. I am thinking that there is a "cut & paste" conspiracy going on.

86WARD
10-05-2015, 08:01 PM
Don't get me wrong, I don't think that Cowher was that great either. He was good, but he too had a few flaws...lol. Kordell?