PDA

View Full Version : Positives from Ravens Game?

dislocatedday
10-01-2015, 11:21 PM
I know the loss is disgusting, and Tomlin/Haley, Scobee, and Vick are deservedly going to get the brunt of the fans wrath.

However, there were a few positive things (I think):

1) Butler and the defense are improving week to week I think. They are at least getting more pressure on the QBs, the secondary is improving, and the run defense has been generally good (although there were some lapses tonight, but I attribute much of that to the defense being tired after being on the field so much, and that Cam Thomas came in to man the middle of the Dline).

2) Bud Dupree is coming along nicely. I think this kid is going to be a significant player before too long.

3) Russ Cockrell, a relative unknown, comes in and gets 2 good turnovers, and does a nice job in coverage.

4) Bell is even more special than I thought. He finds little creases and holes better than 99.9% of the RBs in the league. He almost always gets at least 3 yards when he appears stopped for a loss or no gain.

5) Stephon Tuitt is on his way to becoming a beast at DE. He can flat out play football.

katmandu
10-01-2015, 11:25 PM
Very aggressive defense had (5) SACKS !

86WARD
10-01-2015, 11:26 PM
DHB.

Steelman
10-01-2015, 11:26 PM
I like Dupree. I see him figuring some things out. That first step late in the game was unreal. Needs to work in some secondary moves to get to the QB and his run support but I like where he's at right now.

Tuitt is a beast. Hands down.

DHB had a nice game. Couple of great catches.

Cockrell had a couple nice plays but also gave up that touchdown. Jury's still out on him but splash plays help.

I'm a certified Mike Mitchell hater, but I'd be remiss if I didn't give him some props for that pass breakup and hit he had. I don't know if it was just the run defense was terrible but the secondary had a decent game by their standards.

steel9guy
10-01-2015, 11:27 PM
Everything except Scoobee and Coaching. We killed the ravens tonight. Did everything to win and should have won. Defense was great.

tube517
10-01-2015, 11:28 PM
I liked the defensive play calling.
DHB

86WARD
10-01-2015, 11:31 PM
Overall the team wasn't terrible. Scobee was terrible, the play calling was terrible and there were some coaching decisions that were questionable. But the defense played very well...when they weren't trying to stop the run...and Butler called a pretty good game on that side of the ball.

Craic
10-01-2015, 11:35 PM
Our DBs are seemingly getting a handle on the new system. As I posted somewhere else, 5 sacks and 8 tackles for loss is a great stat for a defense as well. I could care less if teams run up and down the field, as long as they don't get into the endzone. The defense only allows two in 38 minutes on the field.

zulater
10-01-2015, 11:38 PM
Big Ben not being on crutches and seemingly moving fairly well on the sidelines. Ben can't miss more than 2 more games or the season will be over. Vick is below the line. It will be a miracle if they can win so much as one game with him starting. Truth be told this was the most winnable game on the schedule. And we didn't get it done. so there really isn't much to be positive about other than the outside chance that Ben could come back earlier than anyone is predicting he'll be back.

zoneblitzerII
10-01-2015, 11:38 PM
The defence, turnovers, sacks, turnovers, pressures, turnovers, and turnovers. All of these things were at less than zero during Lebeau's final years. Butler is head coach material. He's doing a great job putting these guys in position to succeed.

teegre
10-01-2015, 11:39 PM
San Diego's O-line is in shambles (4 injuries in one game). With this defense getting pressure, the positive I take away is that the Steelers might get double-digit sacks on MNF.

katmandu
10-01-2015, 11:40 PM
Timmons 11 tackles....Tuitt (becoming a BEAST!) with 10 Tackles...

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2015100100/2015/REG4/ravens@steelers#menu=gameinfo%7CcontentId%3A0ap300 0000547254&tab=analyze&analyze=boxscore

Psycho Ward 86
10-01-2015, 11:41 PM
mike vick actually didnt turn the ball over

Craic
10-01-2015, 11:41 PM
Big Ben not being on crutches and seemingly moving fairly well on the sidelines. Ben can't miss more than 2 more games or the season will be over. Vick is below the line. It will be a miracle if they can win so much as one game with him starting. Truth be told this was the most winnable game on the schedule. And we didn't get it done. so there really isn't much to be positive about other than the outside chance that Ben could come back earlier than anyone is predicting he'll be back.

. . .

Nope. Just leave it alone and walk away, Craic, just walk away.

86WARD
10-01-2015, 11:42 PM
mike vick actually didnt turn the ball over

He also didn't leave points on the table like a couple other players. He wasn't good though...lol.

86WARD
10-01-2015, 11:42 PM
. . .

:rofl2:

JayC
10-01-2015, 11:43 PM
no positives here unless ben comes back sooner than expected. i have no confidence that vick can make a play when the game in on the line. just think about it, this can probably be considered a good game for vick since he didn't turn it over and completed most of his passes. just wait until he shows us his bad game. it's gonna be awful. even in his good game he can't make a nfl qb caliber throw with the game on the line

Shoes
10-01-2015, 11:44 PM
Sean Spence who most said would never play again.

86WARD
10-01-2015, 11:46 PM
Sean Spence who most said would never play again.

He played really well. Aside from the run defense, the whole unit played lights out...they'll get a tougher test on the road against a better RB, better WRs, better TEs and better QB in San Diego. They really needed this win...

fansince'76
10-01-2015, 11:50 PM
Defense is getting better.

Ben, please hurry back!

zulater
10-01-2015, 11:52 PM
. . .

Yeah do that. Because your clueless if you're seeing an NFL qb on the field for the Steelers tonight.

Jay C said it best. We probably got the guy's best tonight and it still sucked shit. Imagine what it's going to be like when he reverts to hi normal turnover tendency.
\

teegre
10-01-2015, 11:54 PM
He played really well. Aside from the run defense, the whole unit played lights out...they'll get a tougher test on the road against a better RB, better WRs, better TEs and better QB in San Diego. They really needed this win...

Keenan Allen & Malcolm Floyd are legit, but their O-line is in shambles. And, Rivers has thrown at least one INT in 9 straight games.

Likewise, their secondary is beaten up, and they only have 1 sack.

86WARD
10-01-2015, 11:55 PM
Stevie Johnson has been playing well too...as has LaDarius Green. They have a lot of weapons there.

86WARD
10-01-2015, 11:56 PM
Yeah do that. Because your clueless if you're seeing an NFL qb on the field for the Steelers tonight.

Jay C said it best. We probably got the guy's best tonight and it still sucked shit. Imagine what it's going to be like when he reverts to hi normal turnover tendency.
\

And whose fault is it that he's even on the team? If not Vick, what would you suggest? Another Non-NFL QB in Landry Jones?

zulater
10-01-2015, 11:58 PM
And whose fault is it that he's even on the team? If not Vick, what would you suggest? Another Non-NFL QB in Landry Jones?

Tebow wouldn't be any worse.

st33lersguy
10-01-2015, 11:58 PM
There is no positives from this game. This was a complete tank job

teegre
10-02-2015, 12:00 AM
Stevie Johnson has been playing well too...as has LaDarius Green. They have a lot of weapons there.

True... but... he has NO time to throw.

It reminds me of the Steelers O-line from a few years ago.

Shoes
10-02-2015, 12:02 AM
Maybe the Steelers are one step closer in getting rid of Jarvis Jones, who did his normal nothing again tonight.

tube517
10-02-2015, 12:03 AM
Maybe the Steelers are one step closer in getting rid of Jarvis Jones, who did his normal nothing again tonight.

He was nowhere near the field in the 4th quarter and OT, I saw Dupree alot more.

Shoes
10-02-2015, 12:08 AM
He was nowhere near the field in the 4th quarter and OT, I saw Dupree alot more.

I believe Jones had ONE tackle.

teegre
10-02-2015, 12:09 AM
I am by no means overlooking San Diego.

I just see a positive in the pass rush.... and, looking ahead, I love this matchup: SD's O-line vs. Pitt's pass-rush.

fansince'76
10-02-2015, 12:10 AM

Yep. I think it's now official: BUST.

tube517
10-02-2015, 12:12 AM
I believe Jones had ONE tackle.

I think it was one assist. SMH.

katmandu
10-02-2015, 12:26 AM
I believe Jones had ONE tackle.Sorry, according to the Box Score of NFL.com, Jarvis only had (1) ASSIST !

That basically is 1/2 of Tackle for a whole nights work!

Look, I've been a long time supporter of Jarvis, but I'm starting to believe he just SUCKS !

Shoes
10-02-2015, 12:38 AM
Sorry, according to the Box Score of NFL.com, Jarvis only had (1) ASSIST !

That basically is 1/2 of Tackle for a whole nights work!

Look, I've been a long time supporter of Jarvis, but I'm starting to believe he just SUCKS !

I was trying to be generous. :chuckle:

StillCurtains
10-02-2015, 01:17 AM
no positives here unless ben comes back sooner than expected. i have no confidence that vick can make a play when the game in on the line. just think about it, this can probably be considered a good game for vick since he didn't turn it over and completed most of his passes. just wait until he shows us his bad game. it's gonna be awful. even in his good game he can't make a nfl qb caliber throw with the game on the line

Ummm, that's a pretty unfair assessment of Vick don't you think? Blame it on a guy who DIDN'T lose it for us? Yeah he didn't do anything magnificent but he was better than expected so why pick on him? Sounds like damned if you do and damned if you don't if you ask me!

Did it ever cross your mind that your BACKUP quarterback IS NOT supposed to be AS GOOD as your STARTER and there SHOULD be some dropoff? Also add the fact that Vick was not at all in TRAINING CAMP and only had 3 DAYS to prepare!

Think about it! If he actually loses the game for us next week and thereafter blame him then but for now, blame the guy who TRULY is the blame for this one and that's JOSH SCOBEE!!!

Craic
10-02-2015, 02:08 AM

And you called me clueless? First Charlie Batch is as good as Vick, and now Tebow is as well? Let's get a little reality check, shall we? Please, inform me of a better QB to pick up than Vick when our second string QB went on the disabled list.

Personally, I think you're confused "NFL QB" with "starting QB." In the era of salary caps and free agency, good luck. The times of Montana being backed up by Steve Young are long since passed.

zulater
10-02-2015, 05:32 AM
And you called me clueless? First Charlie Batch is as good as Vick, and now Tebow is as well? Let's get a little reality check, shall we? Please, inform me of a better QB to pick up than Vick when our second string QB went on the disabled list.

Personally, I think you're confused "NFL QB" with "starting QB." In the era of salary caps and free agency, good luck. The times of Montana being backed up by Steve Young are long since passed.

I didn't say Batch is as good as Vick now. find where I said that. And yeah Tebow damn near made the Eagles. Give Chip Kelly the choice between Tebow and vick (who he had for two years) tomorrow and I wager he gives Tim the call.

86WARD
10-02-2015, 06:09 AM

I think we'd be looking for "better." I'd take the veteran over Tebow if the attitude is "wouldn't be any worse."

Vick wasn't good. He made some plays with his legs, he had some shitty throws, he had a good throw for a TD that was dropped by the best WR in the game, he was handed some terrible plays, which he made poor decisions with...yet he wasn't the worst QB on that field last night. The loss was far, far, far away from being pinned on him though.

dduc996
10-02-2015, 06:21 AM
Everything except Scoobee and Coaching. We killed the ravens tonight. Did everything to win and should have won. Defense was great.
Can't wait see them again in Baltimore.

JayC
10-02-2015, 06:55 AM
Ummm, that's a pretty unfair assessment of Vick don't you think? Blame it on a guy who DIDN'T lose it for us? Yeah he didn't do anything magnificent but he was better than expected so why pick on him? Sounds like damned if you do and damned if you don't if you ask me!

Did it ever cross your mind that your BACKUP quarterback IS NOT supposed to be AS GOOD as your STARTER and there SHOULD be some dropoff? Also add the fact that Vick was not at all in TRAINING CAMP and only had 3 DAYS to prepare!

Think about it! If he actually loses the game for us next week and thereafter blame him then but for now, blame the guy who TRULY is the blame for this one and that's JOSH SCOBEE!!!

I did blame Scobee a ton, more than Vick but when we needed Vick to make a play the most he really let me down with his inaccuracy. I get it, in the end he lead us down into field goal range 4 times between end of the 4th quarter and OT and we came away with nothing. That is on Scobee first, but Tomlin/Haley/Vick also deserve some blame in my opinion.

They played not to lose for the most part, and when they do this, they almost always lose. Nearly happened last week as well. They should have went for the dagger but I don't think they trust Vick, but to be honest I can't blame them. But when they gave him a chance to make a play he failed on the run (not really his fault, bad play call and blocking), but especially on that 4th down pass to AB. That play is killing me because I expect an NFL qb to be able to make that play. I think we would have won if he made the play.

ALLD
10-02-2015, 08:48 AM
Brown is keeping his streak alive, but I bet he would trade all those catches for one game winning catch.

SteelMayhem72
10-02-2015, 09:08 AM
The defence, turnovers, sacks, turnovers, pressures, turnovers, and turnovers. All of these things were at less than zero during Lebeau's final years. Butler is head coach material. He's doing a great job putting these guys in position to succeed.
Defense is playing better and they are gonna have to if we are gonna win any of the next few games. I dont think we are gonna do anything this year unless our head coach can get his head outta his ass...our head coach should not being losing games for us by his repeated bad decision making.

zulater
10-02-2015, 09:10 AM
Brown is keeping his streak alive, but I bet he would trade all those catches for one game winning catch.

No, the streak is over. Only got 42 yards.

Dissolv
10-02-2015, 09:28 AM
This is the positive thread, right?

Defense was way better than I expected. Vick, despite the hating, actually did extremely well for a backup coming in with so little preparation. I don't think you can expect better with so few reps and so little time on the time from ANY backup Q-back. Our coaches seem to know how to adjust the game to the players, both on O and D.

We are still in the hunt for the division.
Them's the positives I am walking away with.

polamalubeast
10-02-2015, 09:55 AM
Le'veon Bell....Last steelers RB to have at least 100 yards against the ravens was Jerome Bettis....

Rotorhead
10-02-2015, 10:30 AM
We get it Zulater, you hate Vic, blah blah blah. Get over it, he is our QB until he gets injured or Ben returns. You don't have to bring it up in every thread, especially the ones that have nothing to do with him.

Positives are the Def is getting better, much better. While Cockrell gave up that TD, it was well covered actually and just a very good throw from what I saw. I will take that def when Ben returns for the rest of the year, and like our chances to make the playoffs. Clean up our bad tackling and fix our Cam Thomas issue and we will be much better.

Of course Bell is back, but even better is Bryant returns next game. That alone should open up the passing with a long week for Vick to get comfortable. While I would have loved to have that game, we can still go 2-2, and I will be fine with that while Ben is out.

Ben was walking around without crutches. Maybe he is only out 3 weeks! I am hopeful!

86WARD
10-02-2015, 11:19 AM
Should be interesting to see Vick with Bryant...the had a good rapport in the preseason...

zulater
10-02-2015, 12:00 PM
We get it Zulater, you hate Vic, blah blah blah. Get over it, he is our QB until he gets injured or Ben returns. You don't have to bring it up in every thread, especially the ones that have nothing to do with him.

Positives are the Def is getting better, much better. While Cockrell gave up that TD, it was well covered actually and just a very good throw from what I saw. I will take that def when Ben returns for the rest of the year, and like our chances to make the playoffs. Clean up our bad tackling and fix our Cam Thomas issue and we will be much better.

Of course Bell is back, but even better is Bryant returns next game. That alone should open up the passing with a long week for Vick to get comfortable. While I would have loved to have that game, we can still go 2-2, and I will be fine with that while Ben is out.

Ben was walking around without crutches. Maybe he is only out 3 weeks! I am hopeful!

The laziest thing you can do in an argument is to anoint any criticism of a situation as hate.

I've got no strong personal emotion either way on Vick. I don't like some of his history, but he more than paid for his off field misdeeds and not once have I claimed he didn't deserve a spot on an NFL roster or more specifically on the Steelers team.

I don't like his game. I don't think he's even an average NFL back up. 2-15 converting 3rd and 4th downs is well below the line. 33 second half and overtime passing yards will not win you many games.

To his credit he capitalized on good field position from a turnover one time. He led one sustained touchdown drive as well. But I see more to dislike than like. I don't think he'll do much to help this team win games. I hope I'm proven wrong there. Time will tell. We're stuck with him for most likely at least a couple more games.

I do hope the Steelers seriously address the back-up qb position in the offseason.

- - - Updated - - -

The Steelers pass rush is the biggest positive of not only last nights game but of the season as a whole to date. If the pass rush stays strong the defense should keep us competitive in most every game.

steelerdude15
10-02-2015, 01:56 PM
The Steelers pass rush is the biggest positive of not only last nights game but of the season as a whole to date. If the pass rush stays strong the defense should keep us competitive in most every game.

The Steelers have already accumulated 14 sacks in four games. That is already 42% of the sacks from last year which was 33 sacks.

Count Steeler
10-02-2015, 02:42 PM
San Diego's O-line is in shambles (4 injuries in one game). With this defense getting pressure, the positive I take away is that the Steelers might get double-digit sacks on MNF.

:toofunny: :rofl: :toofunny:

Oh, you're serious? I can't remember the last time the Steelers took advantage of an injured O Line. They seem to always find a way to make them look good. Ravens had a piss poor ground game until they found it last night over Cam Thomas. Why he was in the game, I will never know. When he wasn't in, the defense was vastly improved.

Anytime I hear an analysis that another team has a new starter, is too injured, Steelers should be able to take advantage, etc., it never comes to fruition. The Steelers just don't know how to really expose other teams. San Fran was the exception to the rule.

Godfather
10-02-2015, 07:11 PM

Tebow would go 9-27 for 180 yards and 2 interceptions...and win the game.

hawaiiansteeler
10-02-2015, 07:24 PM

really?

and you're calling other posters clueless?

86WARD
10-02-2015, 07:31 PM
Only reason Tebow isn't washed up is because he's never been "there."

TD's & Beer
None

they lost

86WARD

If thats the case, sign him up!!!

Rotorhead
10-02-2015, 07:32 PM
The laziest thing you can do in an argument is to anoint any criticism of a situation as hate.

I've got no strong personal emotion either way on Vick. . .

Dude, you have literally posted in almost every thread since the game about how much he sucks, and argued with anyone who posts anything different than your opinion. You honestly expect anyone to believe you don't hate him? The obvious facts of the game be damned. Calling someone you never met dumb is the lazy argument. Simple fact is he did what we needed him to do, nothing more.

zulater
10-02-2015, 08:03 PM
Dude, you have literally posted in almost every thread since the game about how much he sucks, and argued with anyone who posts anything different than your opinion. You honestly expect anyone to believe you don't hate him? The obvious facts of the game be damned. Calling someone you never met dumb is the lazy argument. Simple fact is he did what we needed him to do, nothing more.

No if he had done what we needed him to do he would have completed that 4th down pass to AB. Taken a few less sacks, and given us more than 33 passing yards from the end of the half on. Chip shot fg range at Heinz in blustery conditions is inside 40 yards by the way. Close but no cigar on fg range, so how the hell can anyone claim he did all that was asked of him? :doh:

You Vick's brother Marcus? :coffee:

If not then I have no idea why you can't discern player critique from personal animosity?

zulater
10-02-2015, 08:08 PM
really?

and you're calling other posters clueless?

Tebow sucks. So does Vick. Splitting hairs between two borderline roster type qb's is not far fetched.

Thanks for your always insignificant opinion though.

zulater
10-02-2015, 08:39 PM

Sounds about right. :lol:

Seriously though anyone who thinks there's no argument to be made on Tebow's behalf ( over Vick, not if he's a serious NFL qb) just isn't paying attention. Tebow's younger, stronger and more durable than Vick. I also think he'd learn the playbook quicker. Neither is a fundamentally sound or accurate thrower. I get that Vick had a decent NFL career whereas Tebow barely flashed in the pan. And if Vick were ten years younger and had a couple less injuries in his history there wouldn't be any debate at all. but folks, vick aint that guy anymore. What made him special was he had freakish speed. The kind where defensive players couldn't get a good angle on him, thinking they had. He would just blow by, turn the corner and be gone for 20. Now he's still fast, but not that kind of fast. He no longer has db's peaking away from their their coverage to defend the possibility of a Vick run, he no longer has lb's cheating on their dropbacks into coverage for fear of being burnt on a Vick run to a first down. He created open receivers by the fear his legs created. That's no longer happening. A combination of his speed going from lethal to quick, the league adapting and learning his tendencies, and him in turn not adapting and learning how to get 2-4 deep into his progessions has made him a borderline roster prospect. Just like Timmy.

Steeldude
10-02-2015, 08:51 PM
The defense is still porous. They can't stop the run or the pass with any consistency.

Tuitt has been playing very well, but I am not sure how he does his gap assignments. Allen, Tuitt and Harrison seem to be the only players who can tackle.

DHB discovered you are allowed to use your fingers when catching.

Bell and Williams have been playing well. The O-line deserves a lot of credit for it.

hawaiiansteeler
10-02-2015, 09:16 PM
Tebow sucks. So does Vick. Splitting hairs between two borderline roster type qb's is not far fetched.

Thanks for your always insignificant opinion though.

and thanks for your usual arrogance...

teegre
10-02-2015, 09:51 PM
:toofunny: :rofl: :toofunny:

Oh, you're serious? I can't remember the last time the Steelers took advantage of an injured O Line. They seem to always find a way to make them look good. Ravens had a piss poor ground game until they found it last night over Cam Thomas. Why he was in the game, I will never know. When he wasn't in, the defense was vastly improved.

Anytime I hear an analysis that another team has a new starter, is too injured, Steelers should be able to take advantage, etc., it never comes to fruition. The Steelers just don't know how to really expose other teams. San Fran was the exception to the rule.

Yeah... the defense has been pretty bad for a while. But, Dupree & Tuitt seem to be able to disrupt things.

I live in San Diego, and Eric Weddle has given up. The Bolts are done.

Count Steeler
10-02-2015, 10:21 PM
Yeah... the defense has been pretty bad for a while. But, Dupree & Tuitt seem to be able to disrupt things.

I live in San Diego, and Eric Weddle has given up. The Bolts are done.

The defense is coming along nicely. Just get rid of Thomas and Jones. At least give Chick a chance. I like Butler's aggressiveness, but when it became obvious that Thomas was being outclassed, he should not have been put back in. Thomas was in for both long drives. No power up the middle and Flacco and Forsett had their way. Dupree is showing promise, Spence played well, Timmons was in beast mode.

I sure hope Butler breaks the trend of not taking advantage of opponents.

teegre
10-02-2015, 10:27 PM
The defense is coming along nicely. Just get rid of Thomas and Jones. At least give Chick a chance. I like Butler's aggressiveness, but when it became obvious that Thomas was being outclassed, he should not have been put back in. Thomas was in for both long drives. No power up the middle and Flacco and Forsett had their way. Dupree is showing promise, Spence played well, Timmons was in beast mode.

I agree with all of that.

The part that I want to highlight is Cam Thomas. My wife is a Chargers fan, and thus, I saw him play for four seasons in San Diego. When he was signed, I screamed "Nooo!!!"... and on another board, many people told me that I was wrong. Well... not to be petty, but I was right. The guy flat-out sucks.

Count Steeler
10-02-2015, 10:31 PM
I wonder if Beachum could stay on the field. I really believe he could be a monster NT. He is athletic, I like his body shape for the position and he is smart. And talk about heart. Certainly one of the best 7th rounders that the Steelers have drafted in the modern era.

teegre
10-02-2015, 10:34 PM
I wonder if Beachum could stay on the field. I really believe he could be a monster NT. He is athletic, I like his body shape for the position and he is smart. And talk about heart. Certainly one of the best 7th rounders that the Steelers have drafted in the modern era.

Two-way starter... if he pulled that off, he'd be one of the greatest draft picks ever.

86WARD
10-03-2015, 06:20 AM

A new tag line:

GIVE CHICK A CHANCE!!!!

86WARD
10-03-2015, 06:24 PM
No if he had done what we needed him to do he would have completed that 4th down pass to AB. Taken a few less sacks, and given us more than 33 passing yards from the end of the half on. Chip shot fg range at Heinz in blustery conditions is inside 40 yards by the way. Close but no cigar on fg range, so how the hell can anyone claim he did all that was asked of him? :doh:

You Vick's brother Marcus? :coffee:

If not then I have no idea why you can't discern player critique from personal animosity?

Vick's brother actually wanted to see more Bell.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25326187/michael-vicks-brother-wanted-steelers-to-give-ball-to-leveon-bell

hawaiiansteeler
10-03-2015, 06:54 PM
Vick's brother actually wanted to see more Bell.

you never had me fooled, I knew you were Vick's brother Marcus all along...:wink02:

86WARD
10-03-2015, 07:17 PM
:whistle: