PDA

View Full Version : Left-handed QB Vick forces major adjustments

stillers4me
09-30-2015, 05:28 AM
Todd Haley had the Jugs machine reversed to simulate passes popping out of it as spinning off a left-hander because that’s how Mike Vick throws and that’s what receivers such as Antonio Brown must get accustomed to seeing.

“You have to prepare,” said Brown, whose rapport with Ben Roethlisberger is second to none among receiver/quarterback combinations in the NFL.

“It doesn’t matter how the ball is thrown, our job is to catch the ball.”

Vick and Brown have spent as much time as they can on the field and off — and Brown adding more with the re-calibrated Jugs — to try to learn as much about each other before the game Thursday...........

read more @ http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2015/09/30/Steelers-notebook-Left-handed-QB-Vick-will-force-receivers-to-make-significant-adjustments/stories/201509300135

86WARD
09-30-2015, 06:07 AM
This was one of my concerns when signing Vick. These guys are professionals, they should be able to adjust...but it's extra learning that wouldn't be necessary with a "normal" QB.

ALLD
09-30-2015, 06:26 AM
I am a southpaw and there is a whole adjustment that needs to be made. Why do you think lefty QBs are not really popular in the NFL, but thrive in MLB and other sports. Now a lefty can thrive as a WR, OL/DL or CB much like a boxer by having an unconventional dominant side.

It places opponents in an unfamiliar situation because nearly all the time they face right handed players, but like in boxing instead of their power punch coming from the right it comes from the left. That forces a different motion on the other player because dominant sides go against each other when they stand opposed instead of moving in a circle in a conventional setting where dominant and subordinate sides alternate.

steelreserve
09-30-2015, 03:14 PM
Crap. I just realized this also effectively makes Gilbert our left tackle. Maybe that's not as dire as it would've been a couple years ago, but still not a step forward ...

Craic
09-30-2015, 03:26 PM
I wonder if it also shifts our running game, as Vick will turn to his left to hand off the ball.

hawaiiansteeler
10-01-2015, 12:12 AM
Gerry Dulac ‏@gerrydulac Sep 29

Mike Vick will become 1st lefty to play QB for Steelers since Allie Sherman in 1943. Team merged with Phila that year and known as Steagles.

https://twitter.com/gerrydulac