PDA

View Full Version : Ben Roethlisberger says knee injury painful, doesn't think hit was dirty

Steelman
09-29-2015, 10:15 AM
OK, I don't usually like to post reports from ESPN, but this one was decent, plus I loved this quote from Ben:

"Trying to drink my milk, get back as fast as I can."

YES. :tt02:

PITTSBURGH -- Ben Roethlisberger entered the Steelers locker room with crutches, a Titleist golf hat and an upbeat attitude. But he's bracing for a painful return from a sprained MCL and bone bruise in his left knee.

"You guys know me, I can deal with a lot of pain -- this is pretty painful," Roethlisberger said Tuesday morning, two days after taking a hit from St. Louis Rams safety Mark Barron in the third quarter of a 12-6 win. "Trying to drink my milk, get back as fast as I can."

Roethlisberger knows his patience will be tested in the next few weeks. He's so eager to see the field that he's negotiating with coach Mike Tomlin to be on the sidelines Thursday night. Apparently Tomlin has a no-crutches-on-the-sidelines rule....

espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/13769792/ben-roethlisberger-pittsburgh-steelers-trying-smart-painful-injury

fansince'76
09-29-2015, 10:20 AM
No, it wasn't dirty.

Yes, it most definitely should have been flagged and most certainly would have been for certain other QBs and nobody's going to convince me otherwise.

I realize as an official mouthpiece for the league that Disney Channel II probably figures that Roethlisberger and Tomlin and others saying the hit wasn't dirty somehow absolves the officiating crew for not throwing a flag on that play.

It doesn't.

steelreserve
09-29-2015, 12:01 PM
I don't care about the flag. It's a chickenshit rule made for a chickenshit quarterback, and if you "enforce it consistently" it only makes you even more of a chickenshit and won't prevent a single injury.

Yes, the league has its cash cows and its favorites and we all know that. If we could have less rules, it would be better. Enforcing bad ones does not strike me as a positive thing, even when it's theoretically for the benefit of my own team.

fansince'76
09-29-2015, 12:05 PM
I couldn't agree more about it being a chickenshit rule, but the NFL is chock full of chickenshit candy-assed rules that have rendered the game virtually unwatchable at this point which is a large reason why I don't pay attention to the league at all anymore outside of the Steelers.

However, it pisses me off even more when said rules are obviously selectively enforced.

Either call it every time or don't call it at all.

tube517
09-29-2015, 12:10 PM
All of Goodhell's rules are chickenshit.

The game has become more complicated than it should be.

Still should have been called.

And Ben isn't "too young" to get that call.

hawaiiansteeler
09-29-2015, 12:19 PM
All of Goodhell's rules are chickenshit.

The game has become more complicated than it should be.

Still should have been called.

And Ben isn't "too young" to get that call.

yeah, you would think that Ben should be "old enough" to get that call...:old:

steelreserve
09-29-2015, 12:40 PM
I couldn't agree more about it being a chickenshit rule, but the NFL is chock full of chickenshit candy-assed rules that have rendered the game virtually unwatchable at this point which is a large reason why I don't pay attention to the league at all anymore outside of the Steelers.

However, it pisses me off even more when said rules are obviously selectively enforced.

Either call it every time or don't call it at all.

If they don't call it on Ben, and then Brady gets his knee taken out and they call a 15-yard penalty, that's still fine by me because Brady is injured.

fansince'76
09-29-2015, 12:43 PM
If they don't call it on Ben, and then Brady gets his knee taken out and they call a 15-yard penalty, that's still fine by me because Brady is injured.

Even when all the sports outlets treat it like a presidential assassination (see: 2008), while Ben's injury has been treated like an afterthought?

"The NFL needs Tom Brady." :jerkit:

"Integrity of the league" my ass... :coffee:

steelreserve
09-29-2015, 01:17 PM
Even when all the sports outlets treat it like a presidential assassination (see: 2008), while Ben's injury has been treated like an afterthought?

I don't really care what people say, as long as he's hurt.

teegre
09-29-2015, 02:02 PM

Nice. :applaudit:

steel striker
09-29-2015, 02:10 PM
Yeah that Tom Brady rule that says if the Qb is contacted on or below the knee there will be a 15 yard penalty applies to every QB not named Ben Roethlisberger! Still it should have been called.

Count Steeler
09-29-2015, 02:29 PM

Thought the same thing. Went in to work and not all the "sports" guys knew Ben was hurt. I guarantee that they all would have heard about Marcia getting hurt.

BTW, did Jacksonville have any problems with their head sets on the weekend?

ALLD
09-29-2015, 03:12 PM
The hit was a dirty play, come on. He didn't get the flag for whatever reason, but it did not affect the outcome of the game.

Bottom line is Ben needs to play better and think about avoiding pressure. He was hoping to break it with a key completion, but whatshisname got his knee first.

fansince'76
09-29-2015, 03:46 PM
Bottom line is Ben needs to play better and think about avoiding pressure. He was hoping to break it with a key completion, but whatshisname got his knee first.

https://cdn2.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/Yh2j3pisg-D_pXInvY0i3zRleC0=/800x0/filters:no_upscale()/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/4101510/br.0.gif

Wallace just standing around with his thumb up his ass didn't exactly help matters.

I hope this along with his getting abused by Donald all day long finally lays all the "Pouncey who?" BS to rest once and for all.

ALLD
09-29-2015, 03:52 PM
No doubt about it. If Mike Pouncey was in this might not have happened.

steelreserve
09-29-2015, 04:58 PM
The hit was a dirty play, come on. He didn't get the flag for whatever reason, but it did not affect the outcome of the game.

Dirty play? The guy fell on his face and slid on the ground for 10 feet. Nothing going on there except a guy who we left completely unblocked, and happened to fall down at a bad time for us.

The problem on that play definitely looked like a lack of communication on our offensive line's part, and guess whose job that is. Up until that point, I'd said Wallace was doing an admirable job filling in, but ... man, that kind of cancels everything out.

TeeTee
09-29-2015, 05:33 PM

In all honesty, I don't get the supposed outrage over that comment by the ref. I know he is denying saying it, but he may have only been kidding around. Who cares?

steelerdude15
09-29-2015, 05:42 PM
https://cdn2.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/Yh2j3pisg-D_pXInvY0i3zRleC0=/800x0/filters:no_upscale()/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/4101510/br.0.gif

Wallace just standing around with his thumb up his ass didn't exactly help matters.

I hope this along with his getting abused by Donald all day long finally lays all the "Pouncey who?" BS to rest once and for all.

Pouncey is the best center in the NFL.

86WARD
09-29-2015, 05:59 PM
No doubt about it. If Mike Pouncey was in this might not have happened.

If Mike Pouncey was in, they'd have the Top Line in the NFL once Maurkice got back...

steelerdude15
09-29-2015, 06:09 PM
If Mike Pouncey was in, they'd have the Top Line in the NFL once Maurkice got back...

I don't know. I think Dallas takes that honor, but we are definitely up there.

fansince'76
09-29-2015, 06:12 PM
In all honesty, I don't get the supposed outrage over that comment by the ref. I know he is denying saying it, but he may have only been kidding around. Who cares?

Maybe for a league whose credibility as a sport has arguably sunk even lower than the NBA's and currently sits about half a shade above the WWE's it probably isn't the best thing for one of its referees to be saying?

Personally speaking, if it weren't for the Steelers, I would have tuned this garbage out completely at least 5 years ago. And it just keeps getting WORSE.

SteelerFanInStl
09-29-2015, 07:44 PM

I agree about Wallace. He needs to play better.

A couple of idiots on a local Rams forum were saying that Barron didn't do anything more than reach out and grab Ben's ankle. That gif clearly shows his shoulder ramming into the side of Ben's knee.

I don't think that it was a dirty play but it was clearly a penalty.

86WARD
09-29-2015, 07:47 PM
I don't know. I think Dallas takes that honor, but we are definitely up there.

Beachum, DeCastro, Poincey, Pouncey and Foster...id put them up there with the best OLine in e league.