PDA

View Full Version : Off the radar....understandably.

TeeTee
09-28-2015, 06:28 PM
I know with the major drama about Ben's knee, this was overlooked.....but...

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2015092705/2015/REG3/steelers@rams#menu=gameinfo%7CcontentId%3A0ap30000 00541098&tab=analyze&recap=fullstory

Jarvis Jones had a total of 1 tackle, no sacks, no forced fumbles, no picks.

This is his 3rd year. Dupree ALREADY seems to make more of a difference while being a rookie.

We are getting close to the point of us all admitting JJ is a bust.

That hurts.

He might very well be our worst OLB. Worse than a rookie. Worse than a 38-year-old. Worse than a 6th-round pick from tiny James Madison. In his 3rd season, he is mostly as quiet as a church mouse pissing on a cotton ball.

SteelerFanInStl
09-28-2015, 06:31 PM
I know with the major drama about Ben's knee, this was overlooked.....but...

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2015092705/2015/REG3/steelers@rams#menu=gameinfo%7CcontentId%3A0ap30000 00541098&tab=analyze&recap=fullstory

Jarvis Jones had a total of 1 tackle, no sacks, no forced fumbles, no picks.

This is his 3rd year. Dupree ALREADY seems to make more of a difference while being a rookie.

That hurts.

He might very well be our worst OLB. Worse than a rookie. Worse than a 38-year-old. Worse than a 6th-round pick from tiny James Madison. In his 3rd season, he is mostly as quiet as a church mouse pissing on a cotton ball.

And at least 3-4 missed tackles that he should have had.

GBMelBlount
09-28-2015, 06:33 PM
This is his 3rd year.

In his 3rd season, he is mostly as quiet as a church mouse pissing on a cotton ball.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-O-T0LSSMDoU/TiI-7Q_lxMI/AAAAAAAAAOk/E2uy-qCR4tA/s1600/mustache2.jpg

polamalubeast
09-28-2015, 06:39 PM
Been a long time, I lost hope in Jarvis Jones.Yes he is a bust.

TeeTee
09-28-2015, 06:46 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-O-T0LSSMDoU/TiI-7Q_lxMI/AAAAAAAAAOk/E2uy-qCR4tA/s1600/mustache2.jpg

http://www.sarahphotogirl.com/photos/commercial/quiet_as_a_mouse.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Been a long time, I lost hope in Jarvis Jones.Yes he is a bust.

Imagine how much better we would be if he were a young Greg Lloyd or Joey Porter.

Mojouw
09-28-2015, 06:53 PM
http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/defensive-hurries/2015/

He does have one hurry.

Jarvis Jones was a stupid pick when he was drafted and he is a terrible player now. He brings literally nothing to the table.

86WARD
09-28-2015, 07:02 PM
Cliff Avril was the biggest non-pick in recent Steelers history. Taking Bruce Davis over Avril was ridiculous...I'm still outraged about it...

SteelerFanInStl
09-28-2015, 07:03 PM
I had hope for him coming into this season but I think that hope is now gone.

zulater
09-28-2015, 07:06 PM
I'll tell you who wasn't a wasted pick. Stephen Tuitt, that's who! Hey if we're going to crucify the FO on the misses we should at least acknowledge the hits too.

SteelerFanInStl
09-28-2015, 07:09 PM
I'll tell you who wasn't a wasted pick. Stephen Tuitt, that's who! Hey if we're going to crucify the FO on the misses we should at least acknowledge the hits too.

I agree. Tuitt's definitely a player and was a great pick.

TeeTee
09-28-2015, 07:14 PM
http://i.ytimg.com/vi/bwOqwzwLYlk/hqdefault.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

http://gamedayrcom.c.presscdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/jarvis-jones-georga-bulldogs-pittsburgh-steelers.jpg

lipps83
09-28-2015, 07:41 PM
The writing was all over the wall on this one. It said "DO NOT DRAFT THIS PLAYER". Injury concerns, worst workout numbers of pretty much any player coming out that year. Weaker than a wide receiver, slower than the slowest lineman. This guy would have dropped right out of the 1st round if it wasn't for the Steelers.

I wanted Eric Reid. Would have killed a lot of birds with that stone and the defense would be two persons better than it is right now.

That being said, I understood the pick when it was made and had little problem with it at the time despite wanting another player. Workout numbers were just that, and you couldn't deny the numbers he put up in college. Half way into his first season you could tell he was never going to do anything significant in his career. He was THAT bad.

I still have hope he will turn it around though, it is just too bad that he can't.

Mojouw
09-28-2015, 07:50 PM
The writing was all over the wall on this one. It said "DO NOT DRAFT THIS PLAYER". Injury concerns, worst workout numbers of pretty much any player coming out that year. Weaker than a wide receiver, slower than the slowest lineman. This guy would have dropped right out of the 1st round if it wasn't for the Steelers.

I wanted Eric Reid. Would have killed a lot of birds with that stone and the defense would be two persons better than it is right now.

That being said, I understood the pick when it was made and had little problem with it at the time despite wanting another player. Workout numbers were just that, and you couldn't deny the numbers he put up in college. Half way into his first season you could tell he was never going to do anything significant in his career. He was THAT bad.

I still have hope he will turn it around though, it is just too bad that he can't.

But that's the thing - it wasn't just the workout #'s. All you had to do was watch him play in college. He played on a loaded defense whose scheme was set up for Jones to make "splash" plays. He rarely made plays against high caliber competition (other guys who were drafted to play on Sundays), he didn't get better at anything year to year, and he had zero pass rushing moves.

There were almost zero indicators that Jones was anything but a really good college player who was already athletically maxed out.

I mean at least Archer is stupid fast and Landry Jones can throw really far. They possess at least one physical trait that is foundational to their projected NFL role.

Shoes
09-28-2015, 08:10 PM
Well, he's not alone in the missed tackle club from Sunday.

Will Allen: 4
William Gay: 3
Jarvis Jones: 3
Antwon Blake: 3
Arthur Moats: 2
Sean Spence: 2
Mike Mitchell: 1
Bud Dupree: 1
Stephon Tuitt: 1
Lawrence Timmons: 1
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/09/missed-tackles-a-troubling-trend-in-pittsburgh/

At least Jones is playing, Archer and Cortez Allen have done nothing...zero . Allen is the winner here, big contract for being a head case.

dislocatedday
09-28-2015, 08:23 PM
Jarvis is largely invisible and I do not have much faith left that he will start to make significant contributions.

As someone noted above though, if you are going to slam the team for the pick, you have to give them credit for their successes too. LeVeon Bell was the team's 2nd round pick after Jarvis in the 1st in 2013. If the draft was redone today then Bell would be a top five pick. He may even go on to be the best player from that entire draft class.

Overall the Steelers are in solid shape everywhere except the secondary at this point in time.

hawaiiansteeler
09-28-2015, 08:31 PM

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/09/missed-tackles-a-troubling-trend-in-pittsburgh/

At least Jones is playing, Archer and Cortez Allen have done nothing...zero . Allen is the winner here, big contract for being a head case.

if we're going to bash JJ for his performance against the Rams, then it's only fair that we also criticize Cam Heyward who was credited with only one tackle and had zero pressures on 30 pass rushes.

and Heyward gets paid a helluva lot more $ than JJ does...

steelreserve
09-28-2015, 09:32 PM
Yeah, I was not ready to give up on Jones based on small sample size, but I'm losing faith in him quickly. Not only has he not put up any stats, you can tell the players who are making a difference out there, and he's not one of them. He's looking like non-contract-year Jason Worilds at best.

Imagine how much better we would be if he were a young Greg Lloyd or Joey Porter.

Hell, if you activated Joey Porter NOW, we'd probably be better.

ETL
09-28-2015, 10:20 PM
Actually I thought he had a good game. I know the stats don't say it but I thought he brought some pressure. I remember one play where he was ran immediately to the wide receiver as he immediately read the play.

i still want to see more from him.

polamalubeast
09-29-2015, 02:41 PM
if we're going to bash JJ for his performance against the Rams, then it's only fair that we also criticize Cam Heyward who was credited with only one tackle and had zero pressures on 30 pass rushes.

and Heyward gets paid a helluva lot more $ than JJ does...

Bad games, it can happen.But the problem with Jones is that he is bad since he is in the nfl. I have no hope in him since the mid-season of his rookie season.Jones was so bad.

- - - Updated - - -

So Jones has had 1 tackle with 3 missed tackles vs Rams?!....Ouch!

Count Steeler
09-29-2015, 02:43 PM
I figure you give him 1 more game. Than his reps should diminish if he doesn't step it up.

TeeTee
09-29-2015, 02:48 PM

That's fine. But they are kind of different subjects. I was specifically posting about JJ seeming more and more like a bust every day. You can't afford to miss on your first rounders.

If Colbert constantly misses on picks 4, 5, 6 and 7, we can live with. But missing on 1st rounders does not a good franchise make. If you want to give kudos on relatively recent picks, Tuitt, Heyward, Glass-zier, Dupree, DD, Bell, etc are keepers (If Glass-zier can ever stay healthy).

TeeTee
09-29-2015, 02:55 PM
Just look at who they passed on for this fool.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?season=2013&round=round1#round1

Even his own OLB teammate, Ogletree, is sooooooooooooooo much better than he is. What a waste of a first round pick.

polamalubeast
09-29-2015, 02:59 PM
I do not want to defend the steelers on this pick, but the 2013 draft in general was brutal.Just look at the top 10 pick.

Le'veon Bell and Eddie Lacy are 2 of the top 5 players in this draft.

steelreserve
09-29-2015, 03:09 PM
Just look at who they passed on for this fool.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?season=2013&round=round1#round1

Crap - you mean we could've had Geno Smith? What a waste.

In any event, we've got Jones' replacement and Moats is holding up fine on the other side, so at this point it's water under the bridge. Sure sucks having to use two first-round picks to get one player, though. Maybe it'll turn out for the best in the end. Like - if not for the Ziggy Hood stink bomb, we probably never would've ended up with Tuitt. Still sucks that we has to use a first and a second to get to that result too, though.

ALLD
09-29-2015, 03:09 PM
I would have rather drafted Mosley over James Jones.

hawaiiansteeler
09-29-2015, 03:14 PM
I would have rather drafted Mosley over James Jones.

I would have rather drafted Sean Lee and Eddie Lacy over James Jones too...

teegre
09-29-2015, 03:53 PM
If we are going to play the "hindsight is 20/20" game...

I would have have traded the entire 2008 draft to acquire Adrian Peterson in 2007.

Then, I would have traded up one spot in that same draft (2007) to get Revis.

I truly think that with BB and Hines Ward in their primes, plus Santonio, AND Peterson... oh my. Plus, Troy, Harrison , Farrior (et al) with Revis Island... scary good. They might have won four straight (2007-2010).

fansince'76
09-29-2015, 04:01 PM
I woulda rather had Dan Marino than Gabe Rivera. :coffee:

I mean, since we're playing the 20/20 hindsight armchair GM game, how about going back and "what-ifing" a pick that would have changed an entire generation of Steelers football?

ALLD
09-29-2015, 04:29 PM
Hey, I was just saying....and didn't even get all the names right.

Count Steeler
09-29-2015, 04:39 PM
On a positive note, he is not injury prone. Or maybe he is playing with 2 pulled groins.

TeeTee
09-29-2015, 04:50 PM
On a positive note, he is not injury prone. Or maybe he is playing with 2 pulled groins.

No, two TORN groins.

SteelerFanInStl
09-29-2015, 07:17 PM
No, two TORN groins.

The funny thing is that Mitchell's play hasn't seemed to improve this year.

Count Steeler
09-29-2015, 08:22 PM
The funny thing is that Mitchell's play hasn't seemed to improve this year.

I have no respect for him until he cleans up his bullshit celebrations. I mean seriously dude, celebrating a hit when the guy just got a first down shows how little you care about the team and the result of the play, just your own high light reel. Grow up.

TeeTee
09-29-2015, 08:40 PM
I have no respect for him until he cleans up his bullshit celebrations. I mean seriously dude, celebrating a hit when the guy just got a first down shows how little you care about the team and the result of the play, just your own high light reel. Grow up.

I thought the same thing; I couldn't believe he was acting the fool over a semi decent hit where the guy got a first down. He seems like an idiot.

Shoes
09-29-2015, 08:43 PM

Maybe he can give some of that excitement to Cortez Allen, who spends his time knitting socks in the training room.

SteelerFanInStl
09-29-2015, 09:39 PM

I agree. I hate that shit. It seems like Mitchell is only interested in trying to make big hits.

teegre
09-29-2015, 09:46 PM
I agree. I hate that shit. It seems like Mitchell is only interested in trying to make big hits.

Amen.

Titans game, last year. In the end zone, the tight end is in the air. Mitchell is in position to push the TE out of bounds, but instead wait for the TE to land... and then, Mitchell hits him. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

No field awareness. Not even a big hitter. And, again, dumb.

ALLD
09-30-2015, 06:18 AM
A good backup, not a starter.

LLT
09-30-2015, 08:41 AM
Actually I thought he had a good game. I know the stats don't say it but I thought he brought some pressure. I remember one play where he was ran immediately to the wide receiver as he immediately read the play.

i still want to see more from him.

Good observation. He had a strong game against the Rams. Solid against the run. Sacks are great ...but watching the stat board rarely...if ever...tell the whole story.

Kudos to you for paying attention.

teegre
09-30-2015, 10:18 AM
I woulda rather had Dan Marino than Gabe Rivera. :coffee:

I mean, since we're playing the 20/20 hindsight armchair GM game, how about going back and "what-ifing" a pick that would have changed an entire generation of Steelers football?

A few years ago, a buddy and I did a "Hindsight 20/20 Draft." The rules were simple: you picked 32nd in each round, and could select any player who was drafted after that position. In other words, you could never have any of the top 31 picks, but you could essentially get the best player from each round thereafter.

Since we need a few seasons in order to truly know who is good or not, I'll throw out the past three drafts, and start with 2010.

Off the the top of my head...

2010:
R1: TE, Rob Gronkowski
R2: ILB, NaVarro Bowman
R3: TE, Jimmy Graham
R4: SS, Kam Chancellor
R5: WR, Antonio Brown
R6: WR, Victor Cruz
R7: CB, Sam Shields

2011:
R1: RG, Rodney Hudson
R2: OLB, Justin Houston
R3: LG, Clint Boling
R4: CB, Richard Sherman
R5: OC, Jason Kelce
R6: CB, Chris Harris
R7: DE, Cedric Thornton

2012:
R1: LT, Cordy Glenn
R2: QB, Russell Wilson
R3: RB, Lamar Miller
R4: FS, George Iloka
R5: ILB, Danny Trevathan
R6: RT, Don Barclay
R7: NT, Damon Harrison

Those three drafts alone would net a starting line-up as such:

QB: Russell Wilson
RB: Lamar Miller

WR: AB
TE: Jimmy Graham

LT: Cordy Glenn
LG: Clint Boling
OC: Jason Kelce
RG: Rodney Hudson
RT: Don Barclay

TE: Gronk
WR: Victor Cruz

DE: ???
NT: Damon Harrison
DE: Cedric Thronton

OLB: Justin Houston
ILB: NaVarro Bowman
ILB: Danny Trevathan
OLB: ???

CB: Richard Sherman
SS: Kam Chancellor
FS: George Iloka
CB: Sam Shields
NB: Chris Harris

ALLD
09-30-2015, 11:59 AM
That almost looks something like the 1979 Steelers.