PDA

View Full Version : Will the Pittsburgh Steelers get desperate enough to trade for RG3?

polamalubeast
09-28-2015, 10:38 AM
We are heading into Week 4 of the NFL season, which means it’s another week of Robert Griffin III being very available. Last week, we made a compelling case for Griffin to go to the Dallas Cowboys, who shunned that notion and went all in Brandon Weeden. I wonder how the Cowboys enjoyed sleeping in that bed they made?

This week, the Pittsburgh Steelers lost Ben Roethlisberger for 4-6 weeks as he recovers from an MCL injury. This means the Steelers now turn to Michael Vick, a man one month into his time in Pittsburgh to keep their season alive. Vick is 35 years old. There was a time in his career when he was very fast and capable of great exploits on the football field. That time has ended, and now Vick is slow and good for at least one remarkably bad turnover per game.

read more

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/09/will-the-pittsburgh-steelers-get-desperate-enough-to-trade-for-rg3

86WARD
09-28-2015, 10:55 AM
Please no. I'd rather see Jones play...

fansince'76
09-28-2015, 11:26 AM
This means the Steelers now turn to Michael Vick, a man one month into his time in Pittsburgh to keep their season alive. Vick is 35 years old. There was a time in his career when he was very fast and capable of great exploits on the football field. That time has ended, and now Vick is slow and good for at least one remarkably bad turnover per game.

Yeah? And exactly what upside would RG3 bring? Besides, he's Danny-Boy Snyder's pet and isn't going anywhere.

Oh, and there's also this:

Griffin has a guaranteed salary of $3.3 million this year and would be owed a whopping $16.2 million next year if he suffered a severe injury. There’s no way for any team to justify committing that kind of money to a player who has played as poorly as Griffin over the last two years.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/08/30/report-football-people-want-rg3-out-of-washington-snyder-says-no/

The author of this piece is just another armchair GM that needs to stick to Madden on the Xbox and fantasy football.:coffee:

steelerdude15
09-28-2015, 11:29 AM
Would never happen.

Shoes
09-28-2015, 11:35 AM
I'd take Tebow first, he can at least hand the ball off and run.

BigNastyDefense
09-28-2015, 11:45 AM
No way.

First, I think the Redskins would probably be asking for a first and third round pick for him in an attempt to recoup some of the king's ransom they paid for the opportunity to draft him.

Second, RG3 is injury prone as hell. If we had to play him, he would probably get hurt stepping off the bus.

Third, he wants to compete for a starting job at the least. I don't think he would be happy being traded to a team with an established starter. He's become toxic in DC and that wouldn't change here.

Fourth, he's too damn expensive. Steelers don't have the cap room for that mess.

LLT
09-28-2015, 11:52 AM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA..........no.

tube517
09-28-2015, 11:54 AM
:rofl2:

teegre
09-28-2015, 12:01 PM
DAFUQ??? :huh:

Today is not April 1st...

Steeldude
09-28-2015, 12:02 PM
Desperate enough? Shouldn't it be dumb enough? Why would anyone want Griffin polluting their roster?

LLT
09-28-2015, 12:13 PM
DAFUQ??? :huh:

Today is not April 1st...

LOL...exactly. I put it up there with those who think we should resign Charlie Batch.

Count Steeler
09-28-2015, 12:15 PM
No.

ALLD
09-28-2015, 12:35 PM
Somebody got into LeVeon's stash.

lipps83
09-28-2015, 12:37 PM
It is amazing to me how quickly he fell. He had a heck of a rookie season, got hurt, and all downhill from there. Kind of like Kendrell Bell, but on offense.

steelreserve
09-28-2015, 12:54 PM
What would be the point? Vick would last two games before becoming injured, RGIII would last about three quarters before becoming injured, then we'd be right back to Landry Jones.

We seriously need to do better than that. Bringing Tommy Maddox out of retirement would be better than Jones.

86WARD
09-28-2015, 12:57 PM
I'd take Jones over RGIII and also Tebow over RGIII.

steelreserve
09-28-2015, 01:12 PM
Tebow > RGIII >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Jones

86WARD
09-28-2015, 01:13 PM
No. RGIII is beyond terrible plus he has a hefty pay check.

steelreserve
09-28-2015, 01:16 PM
"Beyond terrible" would be generous for describing Jones. The guy is not an NFL player. He can't win a game. The other two guys are at least able to do that on a good day.

This is not to say that we should sign RG3, by the way. It would be stupid as hell. Just that I do not think Jones should be allowed anywhere near the field, and we should sign just about anyone rather than put him in.

86WARD
09-28-2015, 01:19 PM
Problem is Jones knows the offense so he'd probably be better than anyone they sign off the street right now if it came down to only Jones on the roster.

st33lersguy
09-28-2015, 01:23 PM
F%%% that s%%%

Steelman
09-28-2015, 02:39 PM
DUMBEST article premise I've seen in awhile. We would be more likely to trade for Brian Hoyer than RGIII.

TeeTee
09-28-2015, 02:52 PM
Yeah? And exactly what upside would RG3 bring? Besides, he's Danny-Boy Snyder's pet and isn't going anywhere.

Oh, and there's also this:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/08/30/report-football-people-want-rg3-out-of-washington-snyder-says-no/

The author of this piece is just another armchair GM that needs to stick to Madden on the Xbox and fantasy football.:coffee:

Not only that, but he claims Vick is now slow....really? He might not be at his fastest ever, but he clearly isn't slow.

Now, he does fumble if a stiff wind hits him and grabs his head if he gets hit anywhere, but to say he is slow is just retarded.

- - - Updated - - -

"Beyond terrible" would be generous for describing Jones. The guy is not an NFL player. He can't win a game. The other two guys are at least able to do that on a good day.

This is not to say that we should sign RG3, by the way. It would be stupid as hell. Just that I do not think Jones should be allowed anywhere near the field, and we should sign just about anyone rather than put him in.

RG3 sucks. He had one promising season as a rookie, and then tried to become a pocket passer and that experiment was 100% fail. RG3 is unlikely to provide decent QB play ever again.

steelreserve
09-28-2015, 03:55 PM
Problem is Jones knows the offense so he'd probably be better than anyone they sign off the street right now if it came down to only Jones on the roster.

That's why you sign that other person now, BEFORE Vick gets hurt. Knowing the offense and sucking at it does not make you valuable.

I'd rather see someone come in and fail because he hasn't had time to completely figure out the offense. Maybe he'll get better by next time. Jones just sucks.

I really think that if you bring someone in who has even half a clue how to read a situation, and can run 10 or so different pass plays and knows everyone's name, he will have a better chance of success than Jones. Really just some Tecmo Super Bowl level shit is all.

RG3 sucks. He had one promising season as a rookie, and then tried to become a pocket passer and that experiment was 100% fail. RG3 is unlikely to provide decent QB play ever again.

I agree completely with all of that. It's sad that he is STILL better than Jones.

Basically, take your statement and remove the part about having one promising season, and also the part about having to change into a pocket passer, and you've got Jones' story.

fansince'76
09-28-2015, 04:05 PM

That's why you sign that other person now, BEFORE Vick gets hurt. Knowing the offense and sucking at it does not make you valuable.

I'd rather see someone come in and fail because he hasn't had time to completely figure out the offense. Maybe he'll get better by next time. Jones just sucks.

I really think that if you bring someone in who has even half a clue how to read a situation, and can run 10 or so different pass plays and knows everyone's name, he will have a better chance of success than Jones. Really just some Tecmo Super Bowl level shit is all.

I agree completely with all of that. It's sad that he is STILL better than Jones.

Basically, take your statement and remove the part about having one promising season, and also the part about having to change into a pocket passer, and you've got Jones' story.

I'd say you've found your new Willie Parker, SR. :chuckle:

steelreserve
09-28-2015, 04:44 PM
I'd say you've found your new Willie Parker, SR. :chuckle:

No way. Parker was way more frustrating. He actually played every game for about 4 years. If Jones actually plays in a game, I'm sure we'll wake up and find a new QB by the following week. It would just suck to throw a game away over that.

Oh well, maybe we'll get lucky and if Jones has to come into a game, it'll be against one of the teams like the Browns that we might be able to beat 11-10. (That's three FGs and a safety BTW, unless we get a pick-six or recover a fumble on the 5-yard line.)

hawaiiansteeler
09-28-2015, 06:52 PM
no thanks...

https://dougnyren.files.wordpress.com/2013/09/rg3-and-out-meme.jpg?w=183

Devilsdancefloor
09-28-2015, 07:14 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA..........no.
:yup::yup::yup::yup:

zoneblitzerII
10-01-2015, 12:55 PM
RGIII's career is over. Ruined by Shanahan. They allowed to play when he clearly should not have been allowed to. The Steelers will need another QB in the bullpen though as I expect Vick to get injured in the coming weeks.

hawaiiansteeler
10-01-2015, 01:42 PM
http://memeshappen.com/media/created/i-CAN39T-READ-AN-NFL-DEFENSE-and-i39m-always-injured-but-i-make-one-hell-of-a-sweet-onion-chicken-teriyaki-subwant-chips-and-a-cookie-with-that-meme-15145.jpg

TeeTee
10-01-2015, 02:15 PM

One major difference, RG3 was the 2nd round over all pick, if Pgh didn't take Jones at 4 he might not even have been drafted, at all. Missing on the 2nd pick over all will haunt a franchise for years.

- - - Updated - - -

RGIII's career is over. Ruined by Shanahan. They allowed to play when he clearly should not have been allowed to. The Steelers will need another QB in the bullpen though as I expect Vick to get injured in the coming weeks.

The only way Vick won't get injured is if the coaches reach him and make him understand it's not time for heroics, and discretion is the better part of valor in some cases. In other words, we don't need the Superman Vick (who has been less "super" and more turnover and injury prone); we need caretaker Vick, who avoids contact as much as possible and only has to make simple reads. If he can get this through his head and execute it, he could be OK, but there have been no signs - up to this point - that he can make this conversion. He is at least saying the right words - that's a start.

steelreserve
10-01-2015, 03:27 PM
One major difference, RG3 was the 2nd round over all pick, if Pgh didn't take Jones at 4 he might not even have been drafted, at all. Missing on the 2nd pick over all will haunt a franchise for years.

Not only the second overall pick, but the THREE first-round picks and a second-rounder that the Redskins gave up for him. Even if he was a perennial Pro Bowler, they barely would've broken even paying that high of a price.

Anyway, my point was simply who would be a better QB right now, if neither one cost us anything significant. I still think RG3 would be better, not because he's any good, but because Jones is just complete zero-value.

The only way Vick won't get injured is if the coaches reach him and make him understand it's not time for heroics, and discretion is the better part of valor in some cases. In other words, we don't need the Superman Vick (who has been less "super" and more turnover and injury prone); we need caretaker Vick, who avoids contact as much as possible and only has to make simple reads. If he can get this through his head and execute it, he could be OK, but there have been no signs - up to this point - that he can make this conversion. He is at least saying the right words - that's a start.

I hope not. If we turtle up, we lose the game, no two ways about it. When you take a QB who uses running as a big part of his game, and then tell him to protect himself, what you end up with is a shitty quarterback. Kaepernick and RG3 are prime examples. No reason to expect anything different from Vick. He's going to make some great plays and some awful plays, and you have to live with both and hope the inevitable injury just misses your window.

hawaiiansteeler
10-01-2015, 04:25 PM
http://wac.450F.edgecastcdn.net/80450F/club937.com/files/2013/01/RG3Twister-630x441.jpg

Kgor93
10-01-2015, 05:09 PM
I'm a Skins fan also and here's what I can tell you about RG3:

Positives:
-Very strong arm and is quite accurate
-Even after 2 ACL surgeries, he still has excellent mobility (probably is faster than Vick).
-Conservative with the ball and won't turn it over often
-He actually has been a great supportive teammate even after being benched

Negatives:
-Seems to say the wrong things at press conferences, he has blamed teammates and never takes blame
-Can't seem to read defenses and often misses wide open receivers
-Doesn't step up in the pocket, which leads to frequent sacks (this can be coached out of him, because it's a coached behavior)
-Hesitates too often and takes sacks.
-Has been injury prone so far in his career

Overall, he could succeed if he played now and then sat behind Ben until he retires in a few years. He needs a good OL to function. The Redskins O-line is mediocre at best in pass protection. I'm not sure how the Steelers o-line is, but if it's somewhat decent in pass protection, that would really help him. I think he's better than Vick and Landry are right now. Vick seems to have no passion and seems washed up.

86WARD
10-01-2015, 05:59 PM
Why a team would draft a QB that didn't know how to call plays, didn't know how to run a huddle and most importantly, didn't have a playbook is beyond me...it's just plain dumb.

Count Steeler
10-01-2015, 06:20 PM
Why a team would draft a QB that didn't know how to call plays, didn't know how to run a huddle and most importantly, didn't have a playbook is beyond me...it's just plain dumb.

And give up the future of your franchise for the next 5 years.