PDA

View Full Version : Ron Cook: On the bright side, Michael Vick can help Steelers win, too

Shoes
09-27-2015, 11:50 PM
ST. LOUIS — Maybe this will help on a Monday mourning that feels pretty rotten despite the Steelers’ 12-6 win Sunday against the St. Louis Rams.
Go back to second game of the 2004 season. Steelers quarterback Tommy Maddox went down in the third quarter at Baltimore with a serious elbow injury. A rookie named Roethlisberger took over and struggled in the 30-13 loss. After the game, several Steelers veterans whispered their season was over. All-Pro guard Alan Faneca even said he wasn’t the least bit excited about playing with a rookie quarterback.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/ron-cook/2015/09/27/Ron-Cook-On-the-bright-side-Michael-Vick-can-win-too-1/stories/201509270219

fansince'76
09-28-2015, 12:07 AM
Roethlisberger led that 2004 team to 14 consecutive wins and the AFC championship game.

Hey, I am trying to be positive here after Roethlisberger went down Sunday in the third quarter with a potentially serious knee injury.

None of the Steelers proclaimed the season over — at least not publicly — but a few of you probably did. I know I was thinking it.

Mmmm, no, I didn't. Personally, I thought Maddox sucked. I knew damn well we weren't going to sniff a Super Bowl with him under center despite the team being rock solid pretty much everywhere else and I was actually excited to see the new blood we had at QB.

Those were my exact thoughts at the time.

Besides, we were 3 scores down to the Ravens and the game was pretty much already lost when he went in for Maddox (who had been in the midst of one of his patented 5-for-20-for-48-yards, zero-TD, multiple-INT performances anyway), as I recall. And with Cowher still at the helm, God knows how long he would have sat on the bench behind Turnover Tommy otherwise. I really felt we (finally) had something special at QB after the Dallas game a little later that year.

Apples and oranges comparing the two situations.

Steeldude
09-28-2015, 12:31 AM
The link does not give an article.

Is Cook comparing Vick to BR? Haha.

fansince'76
09-28-2015, 12:38 AM
The link does not give an article.

Is Cook comparing Vick to BR? Haha.

Fixed the link.

And exactly, this situation is more like Maddox filling in for Roethlisberger in 2005 than anything.

Everybody else on offense is going to need to step it up a notch. The defense is what it is, but is beginning to show improvement and hopefully that will continue.

BigBen2004
09-28-2015, 12:58 AM
I love all of this negativity...

Look, if Ben was done for the year, we'd be screwed, glued and tattooed. But, he's NOT. Knowing him, he'll be back November 1st against Cincinnati. He's a tough S.O.B.
Michael Vick has a lot to prove. Watching his post-game interview got me a little fired up, in a good way. He knows what he has to do. He was brought in to be an insurance policy, if this ever happened. Well, it did. But Vick has won many games in his career. He's no slouch. He's not who he used to be, but he's still one of the better backup QBs in the game.
With a defense that is improving each week, a two-headed monster in Bell and Williams, and great WRs, all we need is for Vick to play smart. Baltimore is 0-3 for a reason. They aren't very good. If he can manage the game and play smart on Thursday, we'll be 3-1. I've got faith.
If we go 2-2 in the four games he misses, I'd be ecstatic. But I'm not seeing it as that. We need to focus on going 1-0 each week.
People are so concerned with how Vick will perform. Well, look at this offense. We have guys that are more than capable of carrying the load. Bell can control a game himself.
If the offensive line can be stout Thursday, we win no matter how Vick plays. Open up running lanes, protect the QB, and chew up time off of the clock.
When we lost Ben in 2012, we didn't have the team we have now. We didn't have an above average O-Line, or the best RB in the game, or a viable backup QB. Keep the faith Steeler Nation...This season is gonna be a helluva ride.

fansince'76
09-28-2015, 01:05 AM
Not being negative, really, just pointing out how off-base Cook's comparison of the current situation to the 2004 season is, that's all.

All I want from Vick is .500 ball until Ben gets back and to not lose games singlehandedly like Maddox did in 2005 (in a situation that actually was very similar to the current one). That's all. Anything above .500 ball is gravy.

The AFC is still wide open.

86WARD
09-28-2015, 05:25 AM
Mmmm, no, I didn't. Personally, I thought Maddox sucked. I knew damn well we weren't going to sniff a Super Bowl with him under center despite the team being rock solid pretty much everywhere else and I was actually excited to see the new blood we had at QB.

Those were my exact thoughts at the time.

Besides, we were 3 scores down to the Ravens and the game was pretty much already lost when he went in for Maddox (who had been in the midst of one of his patented 5-for-20-for-48-yards, zero-TD, multiple-INT performances anyway), as I recall. And with Cowher still at the helm, God knows how long he would have sat on the bench behind Turnover Tommy otherwise. I really felt we (finally) had something special at QB after the Dallas game a little later that year.

Apples and oranges comparing the two situations.

I had the EXACT same thoughts all,the way down to the Dallas game...I actually remember exactly where I was when that game took place and Ben led them to that comeback...that first TD pass to Burress to tie the game at 7 was a pretty thing.

Then came he back-to-back wins against the Patriots and Eagles...

steel striker
09-28-2015, 10:52 AM
Yes I agree with Fan76 vick just needs to win a couple of games and, who knows what happens when Ben gets back.

clemdawg
09-28-2015, 10:59 AM
I think if Vick can keep from losing the game, our defense will help the Steelers win it. Great performance against the Rams.

Sent from my SPH-L710T using Tapatalk

fansince'76
09-28-2015, 11:10 AM
And to pull up another relic from the 2005 season, "Can no lose! Must wine!" :chuckle:

polamalubeast
09-28-2015, 11:15 AM
You can not compare the situation in 2004, since this is not the same thing.Maddox was not a Franchise QB and Roethlisberger was a promising rookie.

The best comparison, it was in 2005 where that the Steelers were 2-2 without Roethlisberger but the two wins were against the 6-10 Browns and 4-12 Packers.The Schedule without Ben is a somewhat hard this year, especially the game against the mighty cardinals.

The other comparison is in 2010, when the Steelers have been 3-1 without Ben, but the defense were amazing especially in the 2 first games.

In 2012, the Steelers were 1-2 without Ben, with an ugly loss in cleveland, a 13-10 loss against the Ravens and a stunning win in Baltimore.

This year, the defense is average, the schedule is tough in the coming weeks, but Vick is one of the best backup in the NFL but he will have to make some big play and don't make turnovers if the Steelers want to win some games.Bell, Brown and Bryant(when he will be back) must help Vick, same for the o-line and defense too.

zoneblitzerII
09-28-2015, 12:50 PM
I'd like to see them run a little read option with Vick. Also, roll him out, move the pocket and give him easy read and throws. He's got a tremendous arm and can throw a huge deep ball, but they just don't have the time for long developing routes. Unless, if they really focus on running the ball with a heavy package they could really hit on the play action with mass protection.

Rotorhead
09-28-2015, 01:19 PM
The thing that helps us is MB will be back next week, he and Vick were on the same page in the preseason and hopefully will pick up where they left off. We just need to get through this week with a W and we will be fine I think. Long week to get the reps in (after this week), offense stabilized and I think he will have a solid few games. Remember, the teams he was on the last few years were garbage. Once he realizes his protection is one of the best in the league I think he will start to settle down and move the chains. Just need to get our running game going.

GBMelBlount
09-28-2015, 02:54 PM
If we are .500 or better when Ben comes back I will be satisfied.

Our defense is improving and our offense can still be above average if they play to Vick's strengths.

86WARD
09-28-2015, 03:05 PM
If we are .500 or better when Ben comes back I will be satisfied.

Our defense is improving and our offense can still be above average if they play to Vick's strengths.

Summed up perfectly.

SteelFever
10-01-2015, 09:13 AM
Cook must be trying out for a new profession, comedian. Stick with your current job, Ron.