PDA

View Full Version : So how good can we be with Vick?

TeeTee
09-27-2015, 05:32 PM
In short, not very.

In case you've missed the last 3 years, Vick fumbles the ball if he is touched, or even breathed on too hard.

He was no different today. He must have the gripping strength of a little girl.

And if he isn't a perpetual turnover machine, he will get concussed by a stiff wind, meaning, he won't last long and we will be stuck with the worst QB on any team's roster in Jones.

If Ben is done for the year, we are done. The season is over.

GBMelBlount
09-27-2015, 05:35 PM
We can win with Vick.

He needs a lot more reps and we have to adjust the game plan.

stillers4me
09-27-2015, 05:35 PM
If Ben is done for the year, we are done. The season is over.

Yes, sir. You are absolutely right.

steelerdude15
09-27-2015, 05:36 PM
I don't know how we'll do. We have to rely on our run offense to get anywhere, but we have to play a good run defense in the Ravens on Thursday that will be hungry for a victory.

Count Steeler
09-27-2015, 05:38 PM
I would start Jones over Vick. He has more reps with the team and I think he is smarter than Vick.

steelcityboyz
09-27-2015, 05:38 PM
All Vick has to do is be a game manager. Vick still has a rocket for an arm and Martavis will be back to stretch the field. Remember we still have great WRs and one of the best in Bell. It all comes down to how Haley changes the game plan to fit Vick and how the defense plays... I'm not giving up on the steelers just yet.

86WARD
09-27-2015, 05:42 PM
I would start Jones over Vick. He has more reps with the team and I think he is smarter than Vick.

I briefly thought that...

If Ben is gone for 4 weeks, which is what Schefter reported, then if they can come out 2-2, I'm happy.

How Schefter knows 4 weeks...on a "source" that still needs to see an MRI on an ACL...I have no idea...but I'd settle for it...

TeeTee
09-27-2015, 06:18 PM
I briefly thought that...

If Ben is gone for 4 weeks, which is what Schefter reported, then if they can come out 2-2, I'm happy.

How Schefter knows 4 weeks...on a "source" that still needs to see an MRI on an ACL...I have no idea...but I'd settle for it...

I wish I could settle for it, but I can't. Until the MRI, it's all a guess.

ALLD
09-27-2015, 06:21 PM
Even if Ben comes back in 4 weeks will he be right?

zulater
09-27-2015, 06:23 PM
Apparently Ben indicated to AB that he will be back sooner than anyone thinks.

Now on one hand you can say without the MRI can't really say that.

But on the other hand Ben knows his body. And if he doesn;t see this as a season ender then I;m inclined to believe him. Yeah Ben can be a drama queen at times. but he's also one tough s.o.b.. and I wouldn't put it past Ben t tape it up and shoot it up and play at a high level withina couple weeks. Again assuming that he knows his body well enough to assume correctly that this isn't a blown ACL.

st33lersguy
09-27-2015, 06:25 PM
Vick sucked today. He nearly single-handedly cost us the game with a fumble that was luckily recovered by the Steelers and an interception that the DB dropped

stillers4me
09-27-2015, 06:29 PM
Vick sucked today. He nearly single-handedly cost us the game with a fumble that was luckily recovered by the Steelers and an interception that the DB dropped

Yep. He played like a a guy who's only been with the team for a month and got thrown out into the middle of a game with few 1st team reps.

That changes at practice this week.

TeeTee
09-27-2015, 06:30 PM

And that is perfectly consistent with his play the last two years. That is what he is at this point. The D will have to play heroic just to post a winning record, and come post season, zero hope.

Craic
09-27-2015, 06:38 PM
And that is perfectly consistent with his play the last two years. That is what he is at this point. The D will have to play heroic just to post a winning record, and come post season, zero hope.

So why even watch the games if there's no hope?

TeeTee
09-27-2015, 06:55 PM
So why even watch the games if there's no hope?

I didn't say I would. But I probably will. Why? To see how players develop for next season's run. That is why. If Ben comes back next year and our young players develop, we might have a legit shot next season. Without Ben this year? No shot. None. I won't drink the Kool Aid; I realize the reality of this team sans Ben.

- - - Updated - - -

Yep. He played like a a guy who's only been with the team for a month and got thrown out into the middle of a game with few 1st team reps.

This is exactly how Vick has looked the last two years, and that is with first team reps, etc. He is what he is, and that is a QB who fumbles or gets concussed from a stiff wind.

GBMelBlount
09-27-2015, 07:00 PM

:nod:

steelreserve
09-27-2015, 07:07 PM
Vick can do OK if the playcalling goes something other than:

1st-and-10: predictable run
2nd-and-7: predictable run
3rd-and-8: short dump-off
4th-and-8: punt

It was like as soon as he went in, we turtled up and didn't even try to move the ball. Which worked out OK since we already had the lead and the defense held, but it's going to win you exactly zero games if you play the whole game that way.

In other words, with Vick in there, if you play not to lose, you will lose. You cannot go at it with the regular backup game-manager, don't make too mistakes mentality, or it will fail every time. Play to win, and maybe you will. I hope the coaches are smart enough to have that figured out by now.

GBMelBlount
09-27-2015, 07:12 PM
Vick can do OK if the playcalling goes something other than:

1st-and-10: predictable run
2nd-and-7: predictable run
3rd-and-8: short dump-off
4th-and-8: punt

It was like as soon as he went in, we turtled up and didn't even try to move the ball.

Which worked out OK since we already had the lead and the defense held, but it's going to win you exactly zero games if you play the whole game that way.

In other words, with Vick in there, if you play not to lose, you will lose. You cannot go at it with the regular backup game-manager, don't make too mistakes mentality, or it will fail every time. Play to win, and maybe you will. I hope the coaches are smart enough to have that figured out by now.

Ya, it did work out but I was LIVID after those first two plays. It was ridiculous.

TD's & Beer
09-27-2015, 07:13 PM
2-14

Ben returns for last game and blows out the other knee

Steelers draft a QB with overall #1 pick

GBMelBlount
09-27-2015, 07:15 PM
LOL

86WARD
09-27-2015, 07:16 PM
Apparently Ben indicated to AB that he will be back sooner than anyone thinks.

Now on one hand you can say without the MRI can't really say that.

But on the other hand Ben knows his body. And if he doesn;t see this as a season ender then I;m inclined to believe him. Yeah Ben can be a drama queen at times. but he's also one tough s.o.b.. and I wouldn't put it past Ben t tape it up and shoot it up and play at a high level withina couple weeks. Again assuming that he knows his body well enough to assume correctly that this isn't a blown ACL.

Where did you see this?

- - - Updated - - -

This...

zulater
09-27-2015, 07:19 PM
Where did you see this?

Heard it at the end of the Steelers radio post game show. Not sure who sourced it, I was busy doing a few different things at the time, but I think it was Batch who attributed the quote to Ben.

Shoes
09-27-2015, 07:20 PM
Where did you see this?

- - - Updated - - -

This...

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/09...k-this-season/ (http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/09/report-roethlisberger-gives-brown-inpression-he-will-be-back-this-season/)

zulater
09-27-2015, 07:22 PM
If the Steelers can go .500 or better with Vick you've got to figure that will punch Haley's ticket straight to a head coaching job next year. So hopefully with that motivation Todd can work up a game plan that will play to Vick's strength's while minimizing his penchant for turning the ball over.

86WARD
09-27-2015, 07:23 PM
I'm thinking 4 weeks...or hoping. I'm anyone...it would be nice if that "anyone" included me...lol.

Another nice thought is that Bryant will be back soon and Vick can throw a long ball.

CaSteel
09-27-2015, 09:26 PM
When the Steelers drafted Landry Jones it looked to some like a Great pick, Jones has been less than serviceable so the Steelers named Gradkowski No.2. Now Mike Vick will undoubtably take the starting job until Ben returns, what is puzzling to me is why Tomlin has such a love affair with Vick? I could be wrong but I seem to remember Tomlin wanting to bring Vick in a couple of years back. What does Tomlin see in Vick? You could blame Vicks ugly attempt at QB on rust or maybe there is a reason Vick wasn't sought after by other teams

oneforthetoe
09-27-2015, 10:53 PM
i think we can win with Vick. Beat the Steelers last year if I recall. Baltimore game will be tough but judge him after the 10 days to work with the first team O ewhich is undoubtedly the best offense he has ever run.
i

j-d-s
09-27-2015, 11:06 PM
Relax, we just have to somehow split wins and losses. If Ben (and Pouncey) are back and we are at 5-4 or even 6-5 we can do it even with that tough schedule. Having Ben, Pouncey and Bryant (in addition to Bell and AB, and a healthy O-Line) gives us a good chance to win against anybody.

But the biggest challenge, in my opinion, is that we our D has to step in to give us even any chance to win until then. Shazier looked great last week, this week is difficult to tell since the Rams O is not good at all.

86WARD
09-28-2015, 05:18 AM
I agree that one of the major keys will be he defense stepping up and playing tough. They HAVE to play better if this team is going to have a chance with Vick at the helm. All I look for out of a back up is to hold the team at or above .500 until Ben gets back. With that schedule that is in front of them right now, whether it be 4 or 6 games, I think Vick can do that...

stillers4me
09-28-2015, 05:23 AM
"You have all the ingredients to success. An RB, o-line, all-world WR. Hard not to succeed."

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-videos/0ap3000000541035/Is-Michael-Vick-ready-to-take-over-for-Ben-Roethlisberger?campaign=Facebook_Video_Vick&campaign=tw-nn-sf13566843-sf13566843 (http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-videos/0ap3000000541123/Week-3-Spiral-Promo)

Steeltreal
09-28-2015, 05:29 AM
He gets a 1 game pass, if he loses Thursday on more than 1 turnover it's panic time

86WARD
09-28-2015, 05:35 AM
He did look half decent in the preseason tossing the ball to Bryant...but then so did Sam Bradford...lol.

LLT
09-28-2015, 05:42 AM
It is what it is. We will tweak the offense to play to Vicks strengths. High percentage passes...make the most of the running game...and utilize his speed.

The Bengals have a rough stretch of games ahead...if we can win the next two...we are in good a place.

stillers4me
09-28-2015, 05:43 AM
We only have to win by 1 point.

LLT
09-28-2015, 05:50 AM
We only have to win by 1 point.

Exactly...and teams have to account for his legs. That gives him a bit of advantage in the way they approach the passing game. They aren't going to pull everyone back and wait for a bad throw. They HAVE to keep some players in the box or he can make them pay.

SteelMayhem72
09-28-2015, 09:33 AM
He dont need to take hits because he will guaranteed fumble...it seems to me tomlin is too in love with vick more so than usual...im gonna tell ya...if vick lights it up dont be surprised if Ben is out longer...like i said Tomlin would be stupid to do this but i wouldnt be surprised

Rotorhead
09-28-2015, 10:06 AM
Hey if Vick lights it up, then we can afford to let Ben get 100% instead of bringing him back less than 100%. I hope he lights it up! Having a 100% Ben, Pouncy, MB for the stretch run will be a great thing going into the playoffs. It is just too bad we dont have an early bye this year.

steel striker
09-28-2015, 10:46 AM
I'll say this Vick has taken very limited snaps so you can't too much from Sundays relief. I know could have been two turn overs that could have cost the game but, the steelers did hang on to win. Who knows with a few days of practice hopefully he run this offense make enough plays to win on Thursday. It's not like rats are a great team by any means.

86WARD
09-28-2015, 10:52 AM
Exactly...and teams have to account for his legs. That gives him a bit of advantage in the way they approach the passing game. They aren't going to pull everyone back and wait for a bad throw. They HAVE to keep some players in the box or he can make them pay.

Not only that, but they have to account for Heath Miller, Antonio Brown, Le'Veon Bell, DeAngelo Williams and in a week Martavis Bryant...

SteelMayhem72
09-28-2015, 09:37 PM
Hey if Vick lights it up, then we can afford to let Ben get 100% instead of bringing him back less than 100%. I hope he lights it up! Having a 100% Ben, Pouncy, MB for the stretch run will be a great thing going into the playoffs. It is just too bad we dont have an early bye this year.
What im saying is that the man crush tomlin has with vick that he would probably be left in too long...thats my worry

Sent from my K013 using Tapatalk

steelreserve
09-29-2015, 05:01 AM
What im saying is that the man crush tomlin has with vick that he would probably be left in too long...thats my worry

He might get left in an extra game or two if we're winning ... but then again, nobody expects us to win those games, so that'd be a bonus, right?

Count Steeler
09-29-2015, 05:04 AM
We can go 0-6 or we can go 6-0, more likely somewhere in the middle. 4-2 would be nice.

LLT
09-29-2015, 05:28 AM
Not only that, but they have to account for Heath Miller, Antonio Brown, Le'Veon Bell, DeAngelo Williams and in a week Martavis Bryant...

This.

teegre
09-29-2015, 10:40 AM

My source says that Tomlin was actively trying to trade BB and start Vick. Of course, my source is a dog.

--Son of Sam

oneforthetoe
09-29-2015, 11:14 AM
The reason like Vick here: i think he knows how to win ugly.

LLT
09-29-2015, 12:07 PM
My source says that Tomlin was actively trying to trade BB and start Vick. Of course, my source is a dog.

--Son of Sam

My source says that Beyoncé deserved the starting quarterback job,

-Kanye West

tube517
09-29-2015, 12:11 PM
My source says Tomlin's shades aren't Oakleys.

- Omar Epps

hawaiiansteeler
09-29-2015, 12:16 PM
The reason like Vick here: i think he knows how to win ugly.

Tomlin: "Michael Vick can get us out of stadiums"

Born2Steel
09-29-2015, 12:17 PM
I got to be at that game Sunday. Vick was desperately bad. I suggest using the triple option with our skilled RBs and get the ball out of Vick's hands completely. He was scary bad.

fansince'76
09-29-2015, 12:35 PM
I got to be at that game Sunday. Vick was desperately bad. I suggest using the triple option with our skilled RBs and get the ball out of Vick's hands completely. He was scary bad.

I gotta say again that I do find it extremely worrisome that a guy whose ONLY responsibility up until this past Sunday was to be prepared still seemed woefully unprepared when his number was called.

How much, exactly, are 3 days of practice reps with the 1st stringers really going to improve?

hawaiiansteeler
09-29-2015, 12:39 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSLWk0q_vu8

LLT
09-29-2015, 01:05 PM
Stop posting made up quotes on the internet

-Mark Twain

hawaiiansteeler
09-29-2015, 01:28 PM

-Mark Twain

Mark Twain invented the internet.

no wait, it was Al Gore. sorry...

teegre
09-29-2015, 01:52 PM
My source says that Beyoncé deserved the starting quarterback job,

-Kanye West

:rofl2:

My source says Tomlin's shades aren't Oakleys.

- Omar Epps

:chuckle:

-Mark Twain

Now... THAT is clever. :applaudit:

My source says that I am the one who starts.

--Walter White

hawaiiansteeler
09-29-2015, 01:54 PM

-Mark Twain

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bufTna0WArc

Count Steeler
09-29-2015, 02:33 PM
Vick was 5 for 6 during the game. I think the play calling kind of went into the toilet and the psyche of the team did as well.

I wasn't looking for greatness from Vick on Sunday. I am looking for serviceable to good on Thursday night. I am also looking for Haley to call a better game and the O Line to be improved. It is the Ravens, but they don't have a D front 7 like the Rams anymore.

Shoes
09-29-2015, 02:37 PM
I gotta say again that I do find it extremely worrisome that a guy whose ONLY responsibility up until this past Sunday was to be prepared still seemed woefully unprepared when his number was called.

How much, exactly, are 3 days of practice reps with the 1st stringers really going to improve?

That has been in my thoughts also. I read the oline guys said he hasn't been getting any snaps in practice. Maybe Haley didn't have a plan for Vick. He looked like he was shuffling through his cards with urgency after Ben was injured. Vick knows this is his last rodeo, hopefully he'll play his heart out. On an up note, I believe he beat the rats last time he played them.

StillCurtains
09-29-2015, 03:08 PM
Well honestly...

Being that the boo birds will be out for him before he even steps out on the field Thursday night, I'm not expecting too much from him. I posted a tread for the fanbase to get behind him to help his confidence and performance, but noone seems to be behind it.

He's in one of the most difficult situations I've seen in recent memory. It says alot in saying that he will be much better off playing on the road. With that being said as I've already stated, I'm not expecting too much from him with the myriad of boos he's going to receive.

After Thursday night, I already anticipate a flood of VICK MUST GO!!! threads to be started.

TeeTee
09-29-2015, 03:21 PM

Trust me: There will be an obvious, giant chasm between the quality of QB play of Ben to Vick, and there will be absolutely no confusing which makes the offense infinitely better. I don't care if MV and Tomlin are lovers, there will be no confusion of who makes the O better.

hawaiiansteeler
09-29-2015, 07:39 PM
Trust me: There will be an obvious, giant chasm between the quality of QB play of Ben to Vick, and there will be absolutely no confusing which makes the offense infinitely better. I don't care if MV and Tomlin are lovers, there will be no confusion of who makes the O better.

Brinson: Michael Vick wasn't prepared to play

September 29, 2015

Another one of the Patriots' AFC rivals took a stumble this past weekend when Pittsburgh quarterback Ben Roethlisberger went down with a knee injury that will keep him on the sideline for a reported 4-6 weeks.

CBSSports.com's Will Brinson joined Toucher & Rich for a swing around the NFL on Tuesday morning and noted that he thinks the Steelers are in trouble now that Michael Vick will be under center in the absence of Roethlisberger and that Vick appeared to not be prepared to play when he entered Sunday's win over the St. Louis Rams.

Watch the video above for the complete discussion...

http://www.csnne.com/new-england-patriots/brinson-michael-vick-wasnt-prepared-play?p=ya5nbcs&ocid=yahoo

fansince'76
09-29-2015, 08:51 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bufTna0WArc

Recognized the first guy in that commercial as "Leon" from the old Budweiser commercials. Wish they'd bring that ad campaign back...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SB7nQCc1peY

:lol:

86WARD
09-29-2015, 09:16 PM

Steeldude
09-29-2015, 09:35 PM
I doubt running Bell is going to be the answer. You have to assume defenses are going to put 8 in the box. Vick is going to have to throw and that is scary.

teegre
09-29-2015, 09:52 PM
Recognized the first guy in that commercial as "Leon" from the old Budweiser commercials. Wish they'd bring that ad campaign back...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SB7nQCc1peY

Forget Leon... it's all about Terry Tate!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzToNo7A-94

j-d-s
09-30-2015, 03:42 AM
Why not give AB a chance to throw some passes? He once threw a TD pass to Lance Moore!

LLT
09-30-2015, 05:24 AM

Sooooo.....you're saying that our franchise, record breaking, starting quarterback is better than the second string, signed off the street, backup quarterback?

Appreciate the in-depth analysis.

86WARD
09-30-2015, 06:06 AM
Why not give AB a chance to throw some passes? He once threw a TD pass to Lance Moore!

Ugh...no thanks. I'd rather see Tyler Murphy in that role...lol.