PDA

View Full Version : Greg Cosell's Film Review: Ben Roethlisberger playing at a masterful level

stillers4me
09-26-2015, 08:00 AM
Phil Simms told me once that as a quarterback, you hope to reach a point in which your mental ability is at peak level and your physical abilities are still sharp. It doesn't happen for everyone. Often by the time a quarterback has mastered the mental part of the game, his physical skills have diminished.

Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/6770/) finds himself in the ideal zone that Simms was talking about.

Roethlisberger is incredibly comfortable with the mental side of the game, in his 12th season. Physically, at age 33, he’s still in his prime. He is playing at the highest level of his career, and he’s playing at as high of a level as anyone in the NFL right now. That includes Tom Brady (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/5228/) and Aaron Rodgers (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/7200/). Roethlisberger is right there with them.

Last week against San Francisco, Roethlisberger showed his mastery of all aspects of the game. Let’s take a look at a few plays that illustrate that............

read more @ http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/greg-cosell-s-film-review--ben-roethlisberger-playing-as-well-as-any-qb-215642832.html

fansince'76
09-26-2015, 08:05 AM
Dear media: You're too late. Piss off and go ride someone else's jock like you have for the last 11 years...

zulater
09-26-2015, 08:15 AM
Dear media: You're too late. Piss off and go ride someone else's jock like you have for the last 11 years...

Greg Cosell has been on Ben's bandwagon for years. He's one of the best at breaking down game films there is.

86WARD
09-26-2015, 08:28 AM
Ben will still be third to Brady and Rodgers. Even if Tom Brady were to cheat, have all the evidence in the world against him and then get off scot-free, Ben would still be behind Brady...

Bluecoat96
09-26-2015, 08:30 AM
And when Ben has a game that isn't near perfect, the media asshats will jump right off the band wagon.

polamalubeast
09-26-2015, 08:31 AM
Ben will still be third to Brady and Rodgers. Even if Tom Brady were to cheat, have all the evidence in the world against him and then get off scot-free, Ben would still be behind Brady...

Not this week....He is number 2 behind Rodgers on the list of Gregg Rosenthal.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000537625/article/qb-index-ben-roethlisberger-joins-big-three?campaign=tw-nf-sf13497220-sf13497220

86WARD
09-26-2015, 09:08 AM
Not this week....He is number 2 behind Rodgers on the list of Gregg Rosenthal.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000537625/article/qb-index-ben-roethlisberger-joins-big-three?campaign=tw-nf-sf13497220-sf13497220

Shocking...

teegre
09-26-2015, 09:11 AM
Greg Cosell has been on Ben's bandwagon for years. He's one of the best at break down games there is.

Spot on.

Greg Cosell has had a scary-good success rate at predicting how a college player will translate to the NFL. Why? He's unbiased, and knows how to watch film.

Example:
Cosell said that David DeCastro wasn't as good of a straight-line blocker as Eric Zeitler, and that DD wouldn't fair well in 1:1 drills... but, he hadn't seen a lineman play as well in space (pulling) as DD, in a decade.

And, yes, he's praised BB for years. Alas, no one else seems to care what he says.

stillers4me
09-26-2015, 09:14 AM
And when Ben has a game that isn't near perfect, the media asshats will jump right off the band wagon.

And this has been Ben's problem. As great as we know he is, he will blow a stinking fart all over the field once in a while. Brady, Manning, Brees and Rogers will get a pass while he never does. And whether a bad game is his fault, the OC's fault or the Oline's fault is always a matter of debate.

Butch
09-26-2015, 09:58 AM
While Cosell may be the exception to the rule, the media in general has always been biased against Ben. They called for his head with the rape allegations, and they have never given him the props he deserves ever since. I agree with "Fansince'76" to say to hell with the media in general we don't need your praise.

tube517
09-26-2015, 10:47 AM
For his next Super Bowl win, Ben should hold up the trophy and say "Who's elite now?" in the same vein as his "Who's laughing now, O-line?" statement at the end of XLIII.

As far as the media: :yawn:

fansince'76
09-26-2015, 10:55 AM

And this has been Ben's problem. As great as we know he is, he will blow a stinking fart all over the field once in a while. Brady, Manning, Brees and Rogers will get a pass while he never does.

:iagree:

Case in point...

Though there are a laundry list of reasons for why the Pittsburgh Steelers have been unable to stay consistent during an increasingly frustrating 7-5 campaign, one of the biggest reasons of late is the poor play of Ben Roethlisberger.

After a two-game stretch that was among the best in NFL history, Roethlisberger has been unable to find the same passing touch that had him throw for nearly 900 yards, 12 TD’s, no interceptions, and a passer rating of 143.5 in back to back contests against the Indianapolis Colts and Baltimore Ravens.

Just a few weeks ago we were talking about Roethlisberger carrying the team on his shoulders against two of the best teams in the AFC and playing like a truly elite franchise quarterback. There was even talk of Roethlisberger as a legitimate MVP candidate. Today, we are left scratching our heads after his poor play against the New Orleans Saints was a key factor to the Steelers now looking at an uphill climb not only to win the AFC North, but to make the playoffs at all.

Though it is easy to look for scapegoats, and there are plenty to be found, it is fair to point to Roethlisberger as one of the biggest, especially in games he should be expected to thrive. In the past three game against the New York Jets, Tennessee Titans, and Saints, Roethlisberger has not played like a quarterback that can be mentioned in the same breath as Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, or Aaron Rodgers.

http://www.pittsburghsportingnews.com/ben-roethlisberger-must-play-like-a-franchise-qb-for-steelers/17715

If he stumbles in the coming weeks, even slightly, the mediots are going to be right back off his nuts and on his back again. It's been the story of his career. Yet noodle-arm Manning is going to have every excuse in the book made for his (rapidly and markedly) declining play.

And yes, I am speaking of the sports media in general. As Butch pointed out, Cosell is the rare exception to the rule.

He generally gets no respect from the media, and a lot of that, IMO, is driven by the league office. He's not one of the players they're trying to pimp as one of the "faces of the league" and never has been, so he's relegated to being an afterthought unless he absolutely goes off like he did against the Niners and they're forced to take notice. Don't believe me? Take one look at Andrew Luck and all the hype he continues to get despite all his clunker multiple-INT games.

It's the same story with the contingent of Steelers fans that seem to make a sport out of Ben-bashing. Not a peep to be heard from them now, but let him have a bad game and the team lose and they'll be back out of the woodwork in droves too. No, scratch that - let him have a game where he doesn't throw at least 3 TDs and have 400+ yards where the team loses and they'll be shitting all over him as usual. He doesn't even necessarily have to have a bad game for them to start mouthing off anymore.

Edman
09-26-2015, 12:26 PM
Right after Ben 12 TD Performances in two weeks last year:

Versus the (1-Win) New York Jets: 30-43. 343 Yards. 1 TD 2 INT.
Versus the (2-Win) Tennesee Titans: 21-32. 207 Yards. 1 TD 1 INT.
Versus the New Orleans Saints @ Heinz: 32-58. 435 Yards. 2 TD 2 INT. Most of it coming when the Steelers were basically dead and out of it.

Media bias or not, these weren't exactly good games by Ben.

I do agree that his bad games are a lot more accentuated then the other QB's though. Ben isn't loved, and he never will be a beloved NFL QB. He doesn't fit their mold.

It's the same story with the contingent of Steelers fans that seem to make a sport out of Ben-bashing. Not a peep to be heard from them now, but let him have a bad game and the team lose and they'll be back out of the woodwork in droves too. No, scratch that - let him have a game where he doesn't throw at least 3 TDs and have 400+ yards where the team loses and they'll be shitting all over him as usual. He doesn't even necessarily have to have a bad game for them to start mouthing off anymore.

What are you talking about? I'm still here, and I'm one of the biggest Ben bashers around. No one is better at bashing Ben than me!

These "Ben bashers" are a bunch of imitators!

86WARD
09-26-2015, 05:17 PM
Nothing in the world would make me happier than seeing Ben win at least one more Super Bowl and hold up not only the Super Bowl Trophy, but also the MVP trophy.

steelerdude15
09-26-2015, 07:48 PM
Ben doesn't even care about these rankings. He only cares about one thing and one thing only, winning.

fansince'76
09-26-2015, 07:54 PM
Nothing in the world would make me happier than seeing Ben win at least one more Super Bowl and hold up not only the Super Bowl Trophy, but also the MVP trophy.

...and Harrison drop-kicking Goodell off the podium...

steelerdude15
09-26-2015, 07:56 PM

:rofl2:

86WARD
09-26-2015, 08:04 PM

I was trying to be realistic...lol...but I'm definitely good with that and to be honest, that would make me happier...

tube517
09-26-2015, 08:14 PM

:pop2: :chuckle:

hawaiiansteeler
09-26-2015, 08:38 PM

or watching someone light Roger Goodell on fire and then seeing if James Harrison really wouldn't piss on him to put the fire out...

Steeldude
09-26-2015, 09:40 PM
I think he has a good 4 to 5 years left in him.

Butch
09-26-2015, 10:12 PM
Ben has lead the Steelers to 3 superbowls and won 2, believe it or not that's quite an accomplishment. He may not be consistently Brilliant, but I will take those 3 over what many of those so called elites have done. Shady has been to and won more but all those are tainted. The rest have been to 2 or less, but yeah Ben's not elite.

teegre
09-27-2015, 08:48 AM
Ben has lead the Steelers to 3 superbowls and won 2, believe it or not that's quite an accomplishment. He may not be consistently Brilliant, but I will take those 3 over what many of those so called elites have done. Shady has been to and won more but all those are tainted. The rest have been to 2 or less, but yeah Ben's not elite.

Since BB was drafted, no one has been to more nor won more SuperBowls.

BB: 3 appearances, 2 wins
Brady: 3 appearances, 2 wins
Eli: 2 appearances, 2 wins
Peyton: 3 appearances, 1 win
Wilson: 2 appearances, 1 win
Rodgers: 1 appearance, 1 win
Brees: 1 appearance, 1 win
...et cetera...

Count Steeler
09-27-2015, 10:18 AM
Since BB was drafted, no one has been to more nor won more SuperBowls.

BB: 3 appearances, 2 wins
Brady: 3 appearances*, 2 wins*
Eli: 2 appearances, 2 wins
Peyton: 3 appearances, 1 win
Wilson: 2 appearances, 1 win
Rodgers: 1 appearance, 1 win
Brees: 1 appearance, 1 win
...et cetera...

Fixed it.

86WARD
09-27-2015, 11:36 AM
I was going to fix it as well. Not a lot of people think about that and not many people think about how few number of teams have actually played in the Super Bowl in recent years...

Edman
09-27-2015, 05:08 PM
I think they may have jinxed him.