PDA

View Full Version : Newcomers Wowed By Roethlisberger

stillers4me
09-24-2015, 05:45 AM
After Ben Roethlisberger (http://pit.scout.com/a.z?s=68&p=8&c=1&nid=8460281) scrambled to his right on third-and-2 and heaved a 48-yard bomb to Markus Wheaton (http://pit.scout.com/a.z?s=68&p=8&c=1&nid=8460297), running back DeAngelo Williams (http://pit.scout.com/a.z?s=68&p=8&c=1&nid=8602946) walked back to the huddle and said to guard Ramon Foster (http://pit.scout.com/a.z?s=68&p=8&c=1&nid=8460254), "Man, this guy's good."

Roethlisberger was certainly good, probably even great, on this day. He came close to notching his fourth perfect passer rating but finished just short at 155.8. Roethlisberger is one of seven players with multiple perfect games. He has three, his last one coming against the St. Louis Rams (http://stl.scout.com/) in 2007, his first coming against the Rams' current coach, Jeff Fisher (http://pit.scout.com/a.z?s=68&p=8&c=1&nid=8580460), when Fisher coached the Tennessee Titans (http://ten.scout.com/) in 2005. Roethlisberger also "pitched" a perfect game against the Baltimore Ravens (http://bal.scout.com/) in 2007.

This past week's performance might not have been "perfect," but it was good enough to get Roethlisberger the AFC Offensive Player of the Week. Perhaps more importantly it tied him with Terry Bradshaw for most wins in Steelers history with 107. Roethlisberger can stand alone with a win Sunday in St. Louis.

Is that the most important stat in football?

"Well, Super Bowls," said Roethlisberger. "But you get to Super Bowls by wins." ............

read more @ http://www.scout.com/nfl/steelers/story/1590674-newcomers-wowed-by-roethlisberger

- - - Updated - - -

Roethlisberger has either called or texted the troubled wide receiver every day that he's been in a Houston rehab facility.

86WARD
09-24-2015, 05:54 AM
I think because he's not the media darling that Tom Brady and Peyton Manning and even Eli Manning to a point are, there is still a majority of the fan base that has no idea how good Ben really is. You have the people that know, then you have the people that just hate on him and refuse to acknowledge, "some" of which are included in the media and then you have people who just don't know because ESPN isn't out there slobbing all over him...

He's a Top-2 QB in the league at this stage of the game...if not #1...I mean as of today, in this short season, what QB has shown to be in his class? Aaron Rodgers. That's it.

Butch
09-24-2015, 06:30 AM
Yes Ben does not get the respect he deserves. The haters are gonna hate and they won't give him an ounce of respect. I had someone tell me he is the most over rated QB in the league and I literally laughed. He is never listed in the top tier QBs that once included Eli Manning after he won his 2nd superbowl and yet Ben who had also won 2 was always listed as the top QB in the next tier. The guy told me that he wins because he is on a good team, and again I laugh. If any QB could do it how come Tommy Gunn couldn't do it? I also pointed out that while Santonio Holmes was a great WR for us he quickly faded into obscurity when he went to the J.E.T.S. I also told him that what makes him great is his ability to keep plays alive and challenged him to tell me any other QB that could do it like him. He had no response, but he still hates. Ehhh who the hell cares.

btw the boy was a cowboy fan, so his hate was obvious, but my point is this is the same for a lot of other fans who just plain hate the Steelers and will never give them or their players any ounce of respect. Many of them are in the media and again I say who cares. Just keep winning Ben and let the haters heads explode as we raise another Lombardi.

"In Ben We Trust!!!"

tube517
09-24-2015, 07:44 AM
Another factor is fantasy football (as far as exposure to the public). He was (before last year) not really a great choice for fantasy football. I think 2007 was his best statistical year before last year. Anyways, he'll never be a fan favorite or golden boy like the others. I could care less about that because I know what he brings to the table and we are never out of the game with him at QB.

fansince'76
09-24-2015, 10:45 AM
...I had someone tell me he is the most over rated QB in the league and I literally laughed....

...btw the boy was a cowboy fan...

If anybody is overrated it's Romo. The media has tried its damnedest for years to anoint that guy (they've always had a hard-on for Dallas QBs) as he'll typically spend every September and October blowing up the stat sheet, but like clockwork, he'll go out and throw 4 or 5 picks in a game that decides their season and singlehandedly choke their chances away before they have a chance to coronate him as "King of the World."

Romo = poor man's Peyton Manning.

86WARD
09-24-2015, 11:04 AM
I kinda disagree with both Butch and fs76 here on a couple points.

• I think Ben did get recognition for being a Top-5 QB at times, but it was always "debatable." I always had him at #4...behind Brady, Manning, Rodgers. I put him above Brees. But the media would always do the "Brady, Manning, Rodgers, Brees" and then insert a "hot name" here list. There's no doubt in my mind that a few years ago, Ben was in that Top-5 and then there were the rest of the QBs. I think we saw that more times than not, but there were times when people would take him off that "list."

• I don't think Romo is overrated. He's a good QB, not a great one but a solid QB in this league. There aren't a ton of QBs better than him. I'd put him at the Top of the second tier and I don't recall anyone limiting him out to be a Top-5 guy? But he's better than a lot of the trash that some teams are fielding. He's currently in that category with Eli, Rivers, Wilson, etc.

fansince'76
09-24-2015, 11:37 AM
Romo actually received votes for NFL MVP last season (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000466444/article/packers-aaron-rodgers-named-most-valuable-player). Roethlisberger didn't get a single vote. Not one.

Hell, Romo even got one more vote than Goldenboy.

steelamania
09-24-2015, 12:09 PM
To be honest, under Arians, Ben played too many backyard football seasons holding on the ball too long, taking all those hits and now since he is getting rid of the ball early and not doing the backyard football of the past, Ben is looking like he is supposed to look like. I'm still amazed at how in the past the offensive line play was horrendous at pass protection and ben survived all those hits in his earlier years.

tube517
09-24-2015, 12:41 PM
Romo actually received votes for NFL MVP last season (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000466444/article/packers-aaron-rodgers-named-most-valuable-player). Roethlisberger didn't get a single vote. Not one.

Ben should have gotten some MVP consideration over Romosimpson.

Romosimpson puts up great stats over the regular season but that's about it.

TeeTee
09-24-2015, 01:04 PM
I think because he's not the media darling that Tom Brady and Peyton Manning and even Eli Manning to a point are, there is still a majority of the fan base that has no idea how good Ben really is. You have the people that know, then you have the people that just hate on him and refuse to acknowledge, "some" of which are included in the media and then you have people who just don't know because ESPN isn't out there slobbing all over him...

He's a Top-2 QB in the league at this stage of the game...if not #1...I mean as of today, in this short season, what QB has shown to be in his class? Aaron Rodgers. That's it.

Agree with everything other than Brady ain't no slouch, as we saw first hand. You got to put him up there, even just basing it on this season alone.

86WARD
09-24-2015, 01:38 PM

Yes...that would be overrated...

86WARD
09-24-2015, 01:39 PM
Agree with everything other than Brady ain't no slouch, as we saw first hand. You got to put him up there, even just basing it on this season alone.

I don't think he's a slouch. I don't think he's better than Ben right this minute.

Edman
09-24-2015, 02:13 PM
The days in Bruce Arians Offense is what is hurting Ben. Ben has to constantly fight against YEARS of backyard football.

In those days, Ben was forced to fend for himself playing behind perpetually bad Offensive Lines and mediocre running games. Ben, next to Hines Ward, were the only players Defenses legitimately had to account for. Bruce Arians, never saw it fit to give Ben any kind of protection. Look at the legendarily awful 2009 Thursday Night game against the Browns in Cleveland. That game is a perfect microcosm of Bruce Arians' entire career as an offensive coordinator in Pittsburgh.

Ben only eclipsed 30+ Touchdowns once (2007), and the Steelers Offense was continually stuck in the bottom mid-tier rungs in terms of efficiency and scoring. The Steelers Defense was constantly carrying the Offense to the finish line. To some, this is all they still know Ben Roethlisberger for. Backyard Football. Cool but inefficient Offense. Under Haley, Ben has proven he can be an efficient QB. Some growing pains, but he's shining in Todd Haley's offense.

Ben has more seasons like last year, and he'll eventually get his due.

polamalubeast
09-24-2015, 02:21 PM
The problem under Bruce Arians was the o-line and they had a very average running game.I think Bruce Arians would be a great fit with the talent that the Steelers have on offense.Arians is an aggressive coach and this offense is better when they are aggressive.

Arians also revived the career of Carson Palmer.

Edman
09-24-2015, 02:31 PM
The problem under Bruce Arians was the o-line and they had a very average running game.I think Bruce Arians would be a great fit with the talent that the Steelers have on offense.Arians is an aggressive coach and this offense is better when they are aggressive.

Arians also revived the career of Carson Palmer.

As a Head Coach. Bruce is a great head coach, but a bad coordinator. I know our offensive line was bad during his time here, but it's the coordinator's responsibility to design an offense around the strengths and minimize the weaknesses.

It was bad enough we had a bad O-Line, Bruce continually designed long developing passing patterns, asking our O-Line to block for more than 5 seconds, which they just couldn't do.

What was the best way to combat a defense teeing off on your QB? Quick Passing. Arians RARELY did that. How many times have I heard Steelers fans crying for No-Huddle, and then it disappears as soon as it works?

All of Ben's old bad habits were developed here. Holding the ball forever, getting sacked a lot, and going backyard.

RB's were given NO blocking and had to make something out of nothing.

hawaiiansteeler
09-24-2015, 02:43 PM
As a Head Coach. Bruce is a great head coach, but a bad coordinator. I know our offensive line was bad during his time here, but it's the coordinator's responsibility to design an offense around the strengths and minimize the weaknesses.

It was bad enough we had a bad O-Line, Bruce continually designed long developing passing patterns, asking our O-Line to block for more than 5 seconds, which they just couldn't do.

What was the best way to combat a defense teeing off on your QB? Quick Passing. Arians RARELY did that. How many times have I heard Steelers fans crying for No-Huddle, and then it disappears as soon as it works?

All of Ben's old bad habits were developed here. Holding the ball forever, getting sacked a lot, and going backyard.

RB's were given NO blocking and had to make something out of nothing.

http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/d1/d1d296977e2d994180e6e3a0ccecd15bc9f33450f4c3cc7a31 28656e7127cf31.jpg

fansince'76
09-24-2015, 03:22 PM
Ben has more seasons like last year, and he'll eventually get his due.

Doubtful...

Steelers could have their hands full in a close game this week with that STL front seven.

If they can apply some pressure to that pudgy douchebag Roethlisberger, the Rams have a shot. Then we'll see how meaningful his game 2 player of the week award is with a 1-2 start. That SF game was clearly the easiest to pick last week due to multiple reasons. I'm not ready to crown the Steelers just yet.

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/threads/brady-is-snubbed-roethlisberger-named-afc-offensive-player-of-the-week.1123857/page-4#post-4350123

:rolleyes:

Ironic, considering it's THEIR QB who folds up like a cheap suit under pressure and gets rattled and cries to the refs to throw a flag like a PMSing little bitch whenever he gets hit. Roethlisberger is probably the best in the league under pressure, has been for years, and the only one even remotely in the same neighborhood in that regard is Rodgers. But hey, don't take my word for it.

Doubly ironic because I'm sure Roethlisberger gives less than a shit about the player of the week award. :coffee:

Edman
09-24-2015, 04:21 PM
Doubtful...

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/threads/brady-is-snubbed-roethlisberger-named-afc-offensive-player-of-the-week.1123857/page-4#post-4350123

:rolleyes:

Ironic, considering it's THEIR QB who folds up like a cheap suit under pressure and gets rattled and cries to the refs to throw a flag like a PMSing little bitch whenever he gets hit. Roethlisberger is probably the best in the league under pressure, has been for years, and the only one even remotely in the same neighborhood in that regard is Rodgers. But hey, don't take my word for it.

Pressure Ben Roethlisberger? Let me lol harder. Him and Rodgers are in another stratosphere when it comes to pressure.

Brady has to have a clean pocket or he dies at the slightest hint of pressure.

Then again, these are Patriots fans we're talking about.

They better hope and pray they don't see Pittsburgh again. Especially with that Horrible Defense of theirs. Brady can't do it all.

stillers4me
09-24-2015, 04:35 PM
Several Bengals fans at work have Ben and AB in their fantasy team and they are loving it.

And it's killing them. :lol:

Butch
09-24-2015, 06:53 PM
I kinda disagree with both Butch and fs76 here on a couple points.

• I think Ben did get recognition for being a Top-5 QB at times, but it was always "debatable." I always had him at #4...behind Brady, Manning, Rodgers. I put him above Brees. But the media would always do the "Brady, Manning, Rodgers, Brees" and then insert a "hot name" here list. There's no doubt in my mind that a few years ago, Ben was in that Top-5 and then there were the rest of the QBs. I think we saw that more times than not, but there were times when people would take him off that "list."

The consensus from the national press was always the top tier were Peyton, Shady, Rodgers, and Brees. Then what they considered the next tier was always Ben so on and so forth. They would put him in the top 5 sometimes but they would always make the distinction that he was the best of the 2nd tier never to be mentioned with the others on the list. This despite his having won 2 and been to 3 superbowls. in his case it was always the team that got us there and never Ben. It wasn't until last year that I ever heard anyone in the press give Ben any recognition for being an elite QB. Hell even on this very board there have been arguments as to if Ben is Elite or not. I personally wouldn't want anyone leading this team, including Rogers who of all those mentioned has my respect. It wasn't until last year when he had two 500 yard games that he even made the spotlight.

GBMelBlount
09-24-2015, 07:28 PM
To be honest, under Arians, Ben played too many backyard football seasons holding on the ball too long,

taking all those hits and now since he is getting rid of the ball early and not doing the backyard football of the past,

Ben is looking like he is supposed to look like.

I'm still amazed at how in the past the offensive line play was horrendous at pass protection and ben survived all those hits in his earlier years.

Agreed.

I think a lot of the improvements are attributable to our offensive line going from bottom ten to top 5.

It all starts in the trenches.

ETL
09-24-2015, 08:32 PM
Another factor is fantasy football (as far as exposure to the public). He was (before last year) not really a great choice for fantasy football.

what is fantasy football?

tube517
09-24-2015, 09:15 PM

You win. Because of your avatar. You win.

86WARD
09-24-2015, 09:38 PM
who is that chick?

smokin3000gt
09-24-2015, 09:57 PM
who is that chick?

I don't know but I love her attitude.

steel striker
09-25-2015, 07:15 PM
Yesh it has always irked me that Ben seems to always get dissed by the so called experts and, while Peyton & Shady brady fold under pressure the media loves them. Even now it pains them to mention Ben and, they just say it's all becuase of AB you know the best WR in football. I can't deny having AB is such a great weapon but, this is the best that I have seen Ben play the last two seasons. He is throwing deep ball better than ever and, getting the ball out of his hands right on time. Maybe someday people will realize how good of a QB Ben is.

hawaiiansteeler
09-25-2015, 07:46 PM

I think it's this:

http://new3.fjcdn.com/gifs/Rubbing+it+in+lingerie+football+is+there+anything+ better_7aa0aa_5156003.gif

Rotorhead
09-25-2015, 09:56 PM
I don't know but I love her attitude.

Both of them!

ETL
09-26-2015, 08:46 AM
who is that chick?

if you're wondering - she's saying "so life-like". At first I thought it was a reference to her natural endowments but she was trying to animate the leviathan on her shirt.

stillers4me
09-26-2015, 08:48 AM
if you're wondering - she's saying "so life-like". At first I thought it was a reference to her natural endowments but she was trying to animate the leviathan on her shirt.

uh-huh

86WARD
09-26-2015, 08:59 AM

I was and I'm wondering who it is...lol.

zoneblitzerII
09-28-2015, 01:00 PM
To be honest, under Arians, Ben played too many backyard football seasons holding on the ball too long, taking all those hits and now since he is getting rid of the ball early and not doing the backyard football of the past, Ben is looking like he is supposed to look like. I'm still amazed at how in the past the offensive line play was horrendous at pass protection and ben survived all those hits in his earlier years.

Man, I wish they would've run that spread offence throughout yesterday's game. They had them on their toes and were moving it well. I've run that type of quick throw offence before to great success.

EzraTank
09-28-2015, 01:59 PM
Let's face it, Ben's off field past definitely hurts his "legacy" on the field.

I'm a life long Steelers fan but had Ben not had all the rape crap in the beginning of his career he's probably viewed differently.

fansince'76
09-28-2015, 02:33 PM
The double murder rap never hurt Ray Lewis and he was actually charged with the crime, unlike Roethlisberger. Besides, Ben never got his due before all that either with all the "game manager" BS.

tube517
09-28-2015, 03:09 PM
The double murder rap never hurt Ray Lewis and he was actually charged with the crime, unlike Roethlisberger. Besides, Ben never got his due before all that either with all the "game manager" BS.

Ben doesn't have a stupid end zone dance. That is keeping him from being labeled elite. :coffee: :chuckle:

silver & black
09-28-2015, 04:22 PM
Yes Ben does not get the respect he deserves.

He gets it from fans that know what they are seeing. They may not like him because he plays for the other team, but trust me, he's respected by fans in the know.

I'm very happy with Carr right now, but I'd take Ben over any QB in the league, other than Aaron Rodgers... and I still might take Ben.