PDA

View Full Version : Pass protection issues unrelated to Ben

zulater
09-03-2010, 06:40 AM
No link, because it's my opinion. But I think if one thing became obvious this preseason is that the oft repeated theory that the Steelers pass protection problems stem back to Ben's inability to make quick decisions with the ball took one major shot in the ass. I think that will continue to be painfully obvious through the first month of the season. So take your choice the problem is either bad offensive line personell or bad schemes, or some combination of the two, but it's becoming more and more obvious that it's not quarterback related. It's a tribute to Ben that his savviness in the pocket allows him to get to his second and third read as often as he does. I doubt there's another qb in the league that could play at an elite level behind the offensive line the Steelers have.

PalmerSteel
09-03-2010, 07:08 AM
mediocre offensive line (and our biggest weakness) - its been that way for 5 years now.

43Hitman
09-03-2010, 07:16 AM
I hear ya. That's exactly why they pulled Dixon right after his score. Couldn't risk losing another QB before week 1.

polamalubeast
09-03-2010, 07:26 AM
Worst offensive line ever to win the super bowl

Steeldude
09-03-2010, 08:04 AM
No link, because it's my opinion. But I think if one thing became obvious this preseason is that the oft repeated theory that the Steelers pass protection problems stem back to Ben's inability to make quick decisions with the ball took one major shot in the ass. I think that will continue to be painfully obvious through the first month of the season. So take your choice the problem is either bad offensive line personell or bad schemes, or some combination of the two, but it's becoming more and more obvious that it's not quarterback related. It's a tribute to Ben that his savviness in the pocket allows him to get to his second and third read as often as he does. I doubt there's another qb in the league that could play at an elite level behind the offensive line the Steelers have.

BR did account for 12(about 25%) of the sacks last year. IMO, it's a combo of an O-line with very little talent and the QB holding the ball too long and/or leaving the pocket early.

who is really worth keeping on this O-line?

zulater
09-03-2010, 10:00 AM
BR did account for 12(about 25%) of the sacks last year. IMO, it's a combo of an O-line with very little talent and the QB holding the ball too long and/or leaving the pocket early.

who is really worth keeping on this O-line?

Ben runs out of as many or more sacks than he contributes to or causes.

Who's worth keeping on the line? Pouncey.

Steeldude
09-03-2010, 11:04 AM
Who's worth keeping on the line? Pouncey.

remains to be seen. he hasn't played a single regular season game. i'll wait until the season is over. i hope he gives the steelers something to cheer about. the O-line desperately needs some talent.

Wallace108
09-03-2010, 11:33 AM
I've been arguing for some time that it's the line and NOT Ben. Yeah, he occasionally holds onto the ball too long, but that's not the reason for the majority of the sacks. I posted this video before, and it makes me wanna puke, but it shows the problem:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dd82bOBATZQ