PDA

View Full Version : Ben Roethlisberger the maestro of Steelers' no-huddle attack

polamalubeast
09-23-2015, 06:12 AM
Most knowledgeable NFL fans recognize top-shelf quarterbacks have freedom at the line of scrimmage to get the offense into a different play than the original design, depending on what they see from the defense. They are at the line of scrimmage and must command it.

But when a quarterback says he called "almost every single play" like Ben Roethlisberger did after the 43-18 blowout of the 49ers, it sparks interest.

"I was calling almost every single play and we were moving so fast and that's credit to our guys and the conditioning," Roethlisberger told reporters after the win. "We didn't possess the ball very long tonight, but we put up the points.”

There's context involved, and the context is this -- Roethlisberger likes to go no-huddle, and he often calls plays within that no-huddle set. And the Pittsburgh Steelers fired off plays more than two seconds faster on average than the 49ers. That's 52 plays in 23:01 time of possession, or a play per 26.6 seconds, for the Steelers. The 49ers actually controlled the clock but it didn't matter, getting off 77 plays in 36:59, or a play per 28.8 seconds.

The Steelers saw a chance to go fast -- or fast by NFL standards -- and applied pressure, which Roethlisberger happily applied.

read more

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/180524/ben-roethlisberger-the-maestro-of-steelers-no-huddle-attack

86WARD
09-23-2015, 06:26 AM
It's something that has been extremely successful for the Steelers. I expect the coaches to stop doing it for a few weeks...lol.

ALLD
09-23-2015, 07:58 AM
Let BB call the plays and give him part of Haley's check.

Count Steeler
09-23-2015, 06:40 PM
Like I just stated in another thread. I'm sure these are plays designed by Haley and Ben, with particular attention to the no-huddle part of the game. They have been practicing this for 3 years. If Wheaton was on the same page last year, what was special would have been simply outstanding. When Haley was hired, many said it would take a good 3 years to really get this offense to gel. Well, here we are.

And getting Munchak last year, was the cherry on the whipped cream.