PDA

View Full Version : Assessment of Jones (and a few others) from SF Game

Craic
09-23-2015, 12:37 AM
Alright, I'm rewatching the game on GamePass, looking specifically for a few players we've been discussing.

Defensive Series 1

First play, Jones comes in off the edge for a tackle and 1 yard loss. There's a penalty on McClendon that wipes out the play, but good hustle on Jones. He was unblocked, but he diagnosed and brought down the runner in the backfield. Nice job.

Second play, Jones again. This time, he's unblocked and the play is moving away from him. Instead of moving towards the football, he stays on the edge to stop a cut back. The RB does cut back and tries to come back to the middle. Jones closes and tackles after a gain of five, with a number of black jerseys converging as well.

Third play. McClendon gets into the backfield. Jones takes a bad angle and misses the clean up. Running back gets away, but Blake, from 12 yards out, sees it and closes, getting a tackle for a 3 yard loss.

Moving forward, after a first down pickup, Jones gets pushed back, delaying any pressure on Kaepernick. 14 yard pickup.

Next play, Tuitt's a beast. He blew by his man, ran straight through a hold and still got the sack.

Following play, Gay has a nice defended pass against the receiver coming across the middle. He comes in and hammers the ball out from behind.

Ends in Change of possession.

All in all, a pretty good series. Blake had a nice play, another play where he closed on a pass and didn't allow any more ground, although he also didn't defend the pass. Jones looking good starting, but got quiet real fast, and then Harrison came in.

Next series. Second down.

Cameron Heyward does a good job staying with the play, hustling, and getting a tackle, only allowing a three yard run.

Couple plays later, Harrison gets completely faked out by Kaepernick fake handoff. Blake must think lead blocker has the ball as he takes an angle straight to him, leaving Kaep wide open space outside.

Next run, Blake comes off a block to catch Hyde around the ankles and is carried for a yard or two before Mitchell can clean up. Goes for 9 yards, but kudos to Blake for getting off his block and slowing the RB down until help arrived.

Next play. Timmons decides he's done seeing SF run the ball and just stuffs Hayne for a 1 yard run. And the next, he gets off his block and sits on the RB (literally) as McCullers helps with the tackle (2 yards).

THe next play, and last play of the quarter, is one Shazier doesn't want to watch in film session. He completely whiffs on a tackle, instead taking Jones out of the play and allowing another 4-5 yards and a first down. Good hustle by Jones coming back to the play and cleaning up, getting the tackle.

End of first quarter-------------------------
Assessment:
Jones: Right now, I'd call him average. He's not getting pressure on the QB, but he's playing the run pretty well and hustling down the field when he needs to.

Blake: A tad above average. His coverage is average, but he's diagnosing the run pretty well. Unfortunately, he forgot he was playing against Kaepernick and went to the wrong ball carrier. But I'm encouraged so far in his all around game. Haven't seen much in coverage yet.

Gay. Only one time he really showed up—bad or good—and it was a nice strip tackle that caused an incomplete pass.

Who stood out to me in this quarter was Heyward. He's not fast, but somehow, he always manages to get to the ball carrier, even down the field and make a tackle, or help clean up. Timmons was quite in the beginning, but he's starting to heat up.

Shazier hasn't done much of anything so far. one decent play and one mistake that allowed a first down.

-----------------
I'll come back to this later as it's 10:30 already. But putting it all together, what hurt us in the first quarter (yards-wise) was rookie-ish mistakes. Shazier's missed tackle. Blake's misdiagnosing who the runner was. Etc. Honestly, those are things I expect in a second game by very young players.

Watching it this close gives me a little more hope (at least so far). If we can clean up a bit more, we'll have a decent defense. Probably not a top 10, but in the top half, and with this offense, that's good enough.

teegre
09-23-2015, 10:30 AM
Probably not a top 10, but in the top half, and with this offense, that's good enough.

That's been my mantra.

86WARD
09-23-2015, 11:15 AM
The play where Blake tackled the wrong ball carrier. Was his assignment possibly the "wrong guy" and someone else had Kaep or did he just fall for the fake...

Thanks for the breakdown.

Craic
09-23-2015, 11:34 AM
The play where Blake tackled the wrong ball carrier. Was his assignment possibly the "wrong guy" and someone else had Kaep or did he just fall for the fake...

Good question. I wouldn't think so as he was the outside CB. I mean, the safety could have had responsibility for the QB, but if he did, it was a bad play by design as he was quite a few yards behind. To me, it simply looked more like he (and Harrison as well) bit on a well-designed and well-disguised bootleg.

86WARD
09-23-2015, 01:07 PM
So there was no OLB around the area either?

Craic
09-24-2015, 06:34 PM
So there was no OLB around the area either?
From what I wrote below (and memory), Harrison completely whiffed on the tackle.

TeeTee
09-24-2015, 06:39 PM
Was it just me, or did James show his age a little bit in this game?

fansince'76
09-24-2015, 08:07 PM

If it's the play I'm thinking about, it was an excellent fake by Kaepernick. It sure fooled me. Sometimes the other guys just make a good play.

Count Steeler
09-24-2015, 08:11 PM
If it's the play I'm thinking about, it was an excellent fake by Kaepernick. It sure fooled me. Sometimes the other guys just make a good play.

No, no, no. Every running play has to be a fumble, returned for a TD. Every passing play has to be a pick 6.

hawaiiansteeler
09-25-2015, 12:42 AM
No, no, no. Every running play has to be a fumble, returned for a TD. Every passing play has to be a pick 6.

that's not true at all.

a sack would be okay...

Craic
09-25-2015, 01:17 AM
Was it just me, or did James show his age a little bit in this game?

I've been noticing it as well. Saw it in preseason when Harrison got pushed back about four yards. It wasn't lack of strength, but a lack of speed getting his feet planted and a good base to stop the RB. I still want him on the team, but I think you're dead right on, his age is beginning to show.

Very true. I was simply stating what happened. Had it been any other QB, chances are it would have been the right play. I think it was a rookieish mistake because a veteran would have been heads-up enough to remember Kaep. is a runner, and wouldn't have assumed the RB had the ball when Kaep is bootlegging.

Count Steeler
09-25-2015, 05:07 AM
that's not true at all.

a sack would be okay...

Only if it causes a fumble and a return TD.