PDA

View Full Version : Roethlisberger On Redzone Success: ‘I Have To Give Coach Haley A Lot Of Credit

polamalubeast
09-22-2015, 10:47 AM
PITTSBURGH (93-7 The Fan) – Coming off a huge performance for the entire offense against the San Francisco 49er’s, Steelers Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger joined the Cook and Poni Show like he does every Tuesday at 11am and said despite how good they looked, they still have things they can clean up.

“We had some penalties that hurt us,” Roethlisberger said. “We had two, three-and-outs that shouldn’t have been three-and-outs, I mean we stopped ourselves and that’s frustrating. I had a bad call in the no-huddle that resulted in only a one-yard run when it could have been more if I had checked out of the play…All-in-all, a win is a win.”

Despite those “miscues,” Roethlisberger still completed 21 of 27 attempts for 369 yards and three touchdowns, so they weren’t all that costly, but shows the offense is already clicking and primed for a big season.

The offense even had success in an area where they tend to struggle, the redzone. Roethlisberger talked about what was different for them this time and why they were so successful.

“I have to give Coach Haley a lot of credit,” Roethlisberger told us. “I told him this Sunday night when I got home and texted him, I said ‘you know coach, I give you credit’ because when we were driving down the field in the no-huddle, we got down a couple of times to the 5-yard line, the 10-yard line, and sometimes even closer and typically I would expect to hear in my head…ok, huddle up, we’re bringing out this goalline package, jumbo, him calling a play. He never once did that. That’s to his credit that he just kind of let us keep rolling in.”

read more

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2015/09/22/ben-roethlisberger-on-redzone-success-i-have-to-give-coach-haley-a-lot-of-credit/

stillers4me
09-22-2015, 10:50 AM
Oh snap!

hawaiiansteeler
09-22-2015, 01:01 PM
it's obvious that Ben can't stand Haley and that they just can't get along...

FIRE HALEY!!!

Steelman
09-22-2015, 01:53 PM
No worries, something will happen next week in St. Louis to help resurrect the "Ben-Haley Rift" narrative.

Talk about something that's been dragged on and on for way too long... :doh: I hate it when every sports announcer brings this up. Definitely shows they don't research what's actually going on right now. I mean sure we question some of Haley's decisions, but that goes for literally every coach and coordinator in the league.

fansince'76
09-22-2015, 01:53 PM
“I have to give Coach Haley a lot of credit,” Roethlisberger told us. “I told him this Sunday night when I got home and texted him, I said ‘you know coach, I give you credit’ because when we were driving down the field in the no-huddle, we got down a couple of times to the 5-yard line, the 10-yard line, and sometimes even closer and typically I would expect to hear in my head…ok, huddle up, we’re bringing out this goalline package, jumbo, him calling a play. He never once did that. That’s to his credit that he just kind of let us keep rolling in.”

Let Ben continue to drive. Been saying it for at least 2 years now...

ALLD
09-22-2015, 02:06 PM
What that means is no more jumbo packages. Spread them out and run it to the edge in the RZ. It also means one of the FBs is dispensable.

tube517
09-22-2015, 02:35 PM

Media Translation: Good thing "Coach Haley" STFU because his playcalling sux. It's all good bcuz when I call the shots WE SCORE!!!! :rofl2:

ALLD
09-22-2015, 05:41 PM
Bradshaw called his own plays and he did alright.

86WARD
09-23-2015, 01:08 PM
Bradshaw called his own plays and he did alright.

Just okay...lol.

Count Steeler
09-23-2015, 06:24 PM
I really don't understand what the big deal is. A QB is supposed to change plays if he sees something in the defense, you know an audible.

If you are playing up tempo, why fool around with the coaches having to shuffle in a play or wait for the call on the headset? They have been practicing the no-huddle for 3 years. I am sure there are certain plays that Ben and the team have practiced and are ready to execute. Maybe even up to 3 plays at a time.

Are sports journalists really that thick? Sheesh!

86WARD
09-23-2015, 09:56 PM
And I'm sure Haley and Ben have a group of plays that Ben chooses from. It's not like Ben is out there on his own making up these game plans and pulling these plays out of thin air the whole game...