PDA

View Full Version : Week 3: @ Rams Discussion

Psycho Ward 86
09-21-2015, 07:20 PM
Crazy what a difference a week makes. I suppose thats the life of a spoiled steelers fan. I had us starting 2-2 after Bell was suspended, 1-3 after we lost Pouncey and then Bryant. Cautiously excited all of a sudden for this Rams game.

Hopefully that Rams front 4 isnt as tough as it seems on paper. Hawks O-line and Redskins O-line handled them.

Also going to be interesting to see how much Deangelo gets to carry the rock. After the past 2 weeks, he deserves to have a healthy share of carries.

How will Leveon change the dynamics of the passing game? Even with Leveon being the best safety valve out there, I hope we keep letting Ben go deep. I always felt Ben's deep ball is one of his weaknesses if were going to be picky but it looked great on Sunday

fansince'76
09-21-2015, 07:24 PM
How will Leveon change the dynamics of the passing game? Even with Leveon being the best safety valve out there, I hope we keep letting Ben go deep. I always felt Ben's deep ball is one of his weaknesses if were going to be picky but it looked great on Sunday

Not to mention one of, if not the best blocking back in the league. Bell does EVERYTHING well. I think people take for granted just how much we're getting back with Bell's return.

tube517
09-21-2015, 07:29 PM
Not to mention one of, if not the best blocking back in the league. Bell does EVERYTHING well. I think people take for granted just how much we're getting back with Bell's return.

Yes. We have missed his presence in the passing game. Blocking and receiving.

Nadroj 20
09-21-2015, 07:32 PM
Williams is used to sharing carries and I think he keeps a positive attitude about Bell returning. He will get some carries and there will be times they both are on the field.

We will keep letting it go deep, but I hope we don't over think things and become stagnant. We just need to go out there and play like we've just proven we are capable of.

SteelerFanInStl
09-21-2015, 07:35 PM
Hopefully that Rams front 4 isnt as tough as it seems on paper. Hawks O-line and Redskins O-line handled them.

Huh? Did you watch that game? Lynch got shut down for most of the game and Wilson was sacked 6 times. The Rams D Line lived in the Seahawks backfield the whole game.

No explanation for the Redskins game. I haven't watched it yet and am not sure that I will. The Rams always get up for Seattle in St Louis and always seem to play like crap the next game, especially if it's on the road.

I think that they'll play better back home against us although I still expect us to win.

Edman
09-21-2015, 07:40 PM
This is the first big test for the O-Line, they were great these past two weeks, but this is the first real good Defensive Line they're facing.

The Rams are coming off a loss, they're at home, and their Defensive Line is pretty good.

This is a game the Steelers can easily lose if the O-Line has a bad day. The Rams will bring it.

Psycho Ward 86
09-21-2015, 07:43 PM

how much do you want to bet if Deangelo was a couple years younger, people would be like "no need to pay Leveon, we got Deangelo!"

polamalubeast
09-21-2015, 07:43 PM
I predicted the Steelers at 2-2 or 3-1 after four games

I expect a another big game for Ben if the Steelers are aggressive and that the o-line is solid....The o-line will have a big challenge, but the o-line is very good.

86WARD
09-21-2015, 07:44 PM
Huh? Did you watch that game? Lynch got shut down for most of the game and Wilson was sacked 6 times. The Rams D Line lived in the Seahawks backfield the whole game.

No explanation for the Redskins game. I haven't watched it yet and am not sure that I will. The Rams always get up for Seattle in St Louis and always seem to play like crap the next game, especially if it's on the road.

I think that they'll play better back home against us although I still expect us to win.

The Redskins offensive line was really good. That's actually one of the stronger positions on the Skins team.

Psycho Ward 86
09-21-2015, 07:45 PM

sorry i meant just the skins. they did a particularly good job on the perimeter a couple times. If a fatback like Matt Jones can do what he did, Leveon better be able to as well

Psycho Ward 86
09-21-2015, 07:50 PM
I think controlling A gap pressure will be crucial. Cody Wallace is going to get handled by Aaron McDonald so I anticipate a ton of passes coming Leveon's way for his first game back

polamalubeast
09-21-2015, 07:53 PM
I think controlling A gap pressure will be crucial. Cody Wallace is going to get handled by Aaron McDonald so I anticipate a ton of passes coming Leveon's way for his first game back

This is a good idea.Bell is great for the yards after the catch.

SteelerFanInStl
09-21-2015, 07:53 PM

Wallace better be on his game or else Donald will be in our backfield the whole game.

Bluecoat96
09-21-2015, 08:03 PM
One x-factor that we have is Munchak. If anyone has an idea about how to handle the defensive front on a Fisher-coached team, it would be Munch. He worked with Fisher for like a gazillion years before he took over as HC in Tennessee.

Psycho Ward 86
09-21-2015, 08:20 PM
One x-factor that we have is Munchak. If anyone has an idea about how to handle the defensive front on a Fisher-coached team, it would be Munch. He worked with Fisher for like a gazillion years before he took over as HC in Tennessee.

good catch

zulater
09-21-2015, 09:32 PM
We'll get a much more focused Ram team than the Skins did. This is going to be a tough one.

teegre
09-21-2015, 09:49 PM
Wallace better be on his game or else Donald will be in our backfield the whole game.

This.

Aaron Donald is amazing. Cody Wallace's straight-line blocking is pretty good; his weakness is pulling. Regardless, Donald will be in the backfield.

How do you slow him down?
A: Screens

Thankfully, the Steelers have the best screen-catching RB in the NFL.

Steelman
09-21-2015, 09:56 PM

Haley's reaction to your comment:

http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/files/2013/01/Pittsburgh-Steelers-Todd-Haley.jpg

Psycho Ward 86
09-21-2015, 10:19 PM
This.

Aaron Donald is amazing. Cody Wallace's straight-line blocking is pretty good; his weakness is pulling. Regardless, Donald will be in the backfield.

Thankfully, the Steelers have the best screen-catching RB in the NFL.

Ha! If we try pulling from the center position, Mcdonald is going to be suplexing Ben before he even has time to hand the ball off

teegre
09-21-2015, 10:45 PM
Ha! If we try pulling from the center position, Mcdonald is going to be suplexing Ben before he even has time to hand the ball off

Exactly. Don't have Wallace pull. Instead, when Donald comes flying upfield, dump it off on a screen to Bell.

polamalubeast
09-21-2015, 10:55 PM
The Rams defense is not invincible.After two games, the opposing QB has completed 82% of their passes against the Rams.

I am confident that Ben is going to have a big day if the o-line contains the pass rush of the Rams.

polamalubeast
09-22-2015, 10:15 AM

Merchant
09-22-2015, 10:40 AM
I swear to god if Josh Scobee misses another kick in this game...

fansince'76
09-22-2015, 11:21 AM
I swear to god if Josh Scobee misses another kick in this game...

Hopefully we will keep scoring TDs so he doesn't have to try FGs. Just keep booming the kickoffs through the end zone.

TD's & Beer
09-22-2015, 12:19 PM
Just keep booming the kickoffs through the end zone.

He makes me smile everytime he does that

TeeTee
09-22-2015, 02:55 PM

This is a good point. Or is it Fisher who will know how to disassemble Munch's plan?

Bluecoat96
09-22-2015, 03:11 PM
This is a good point. Or is it Fisher who will know how to disassemble Munch's plan?
Should be an interesting little chess match.

tube517
09-22-2015, 04:27 PM
Hopefully we will keep scoring TDs and 2 point conversions so he doesn't have to try PATs or FGs. Just keep booming the kickoffs through the end zone.

Fixed! :chuckle:

ALLD
09-22-2015, 05:25 PM
Come out fast and make the Rams play catch up. Keep their D off balance with quick passes and edge rushing. Ben needs to get rid of the ball fast and be patient for the game to develop before looking for 60-yd. passes every series.

polamalubeast
09-22-2015, 05:28 PM
Come out fast and make the Rams play catch up. Keep their D off balance with quick passes and edge rushing. Ben needs to get rid of the ball fast and be patient for the game to develop before looking for 60-yd. passes every series.

agree and it should always be that the gameplan for the Steelers, even when you play against an offense like the patriots.

BigBen2004
09-23-2015, 02:34 AM
New member here, but not a new fan.
Been a fan for over a decade now (I'm only 20).

Anyway, this weeks game. Is anybody else worried? More than normal?
This is the type of game the 2014 Steelers would lose. Big win, things seemed to click, next opponent not seemingly too much of a threat and they're coming off of an embarrassing loss, etc.
It has me worried. The Steelers should absolutely win this game. Especially if St. Louis is one-dimensional and chooses to pass 80% of the time. Dial up the blitz and make Foles uncomfortable.
But this game will speak volumes to who this 2015 Steelers team is. They have to win these games, especially with a tough schedule. If we can come out of the first four games at 3-1, I'll be a bit more convinced that this team is better than last year's.

Count Steeler
09-23-2015, 05:43 AM
What concerns me are the coaches. If they game plan to win, we will most likely win. If they game plan to prove a point (Haley trying to show who is really in charge of the offense) then we have a very good chance of losing.

I guess the game that is fried on my brain, is the 2nd Browns game last year. Haley was trying to prove something by calling 13 straight rushing plays. By all means, if the running game is there, take it. But, if you are just trying to send a message to your players, get real. There is just way too much talent on offense to try and hold them back. You have the horses, now let them roam free within your boundaries.

polamalubeast
09-23-2015, 07:20 AM
I hope the steelers will trust their o-line in this game and not throw too many screen.

86WARD
09-23-2015, 01:21 PM
The coaching...that scares me more than the DBs do...lol

Psycho Ward 86
09-23-2015, 01:33 PM
I hope the steelers will trust their o-line in this game and not throw too many screen.

honestly this is the one game where we might not have a choice

SteelerFanInStl
09-23-2015, 04:46 PM
honestly this is the one game where we might not have a choice

Agreed, depending on how much pressure we're getting and how the OL is handling it.

ALLD
09-23-2015, 07:40 PM
Skip Butler is going to need to place somebody like Shazier on Gurley to keep him contained. As good as Austin is, no way Foles will be the reason they win if they do.

polamalubeast
09-24-2015, 04:42 PM
Trust the o-line!!!!!

zulater
09-24-2015, 05:33 PM
Trust the o-line!!!!!

Ben can relate. All those years Ben supposedly "held the ball too long", it was all about giving the receivers a chance to make a play. Giving the offense a chance to make a play. And often he did. Had Ben just been one of those guys who just turtled and took the sack or refuse to put a ball at risk any time to protect his interception ratio those teams wouldn't have won shit.

Anyway, Luck is damn good, and will eventually be great if his idiot general manager actually gets him a line and running game.

Sorry for the derailment, but that stat just reminded me of the b.s. that Ben had to deal with for so much of his career. The people who doubt him or try to diminish him just have no clue what they're watching. Maybe when he's gone they might start to appreciate what he's done and is still doing for this team.

- - - Updated - - -

New member here, but not a new fan.
Been a fan for over a decade now (I'm only 20).

Anyway, this weeks game. Is anybody else worried? More than normal?
This is the type of game the 2014 Steelers would lose. Big win, things seemed to click, next opponent not seemingly too much of a threat and they're coming off of an embarrassing loss, etc.
It has me worried. The Steelers should absolutely win this game. Especially if St. Louis is one-dimensional and chooses to pass 80% of the time. Dial up the blitz and make Foles uncomfortable.
But this game will speak volumes to who this 2015 Steelers team is. They have to win these games, especially with a tough schedule. If we can come out of the first four games at 3-1, I'll be a bit more convinced that this team is better than last year's.

They all worry me. :lol:

Welcome to the board.

polamalubeast
09-24-2015, 05:48 PM
Ben can relate. All those years Ben supposedly "held the ball too long", it was all about giving the receivers a chance to make a play. Giving the offense a chance to make a play. And often he did. Had Ben just been one of those guys who just turtled and took the sack or refuse to put a ball at risk any time to protect his interception ratio those teams wouldn't have won shit.

Anyway, Luck is damn good, and will eventually be great if his idiot general manager actually gets him a line and running game.

Sorry for the derailment, but that stat just reminded me of the b.s. that Ben had to deal with for so much of his career. The people who doubt him or try to diminish him just have no clue what they're watching. Maybe when he's gone they might start to appreciate what he's done and is still doing for this team.

Their GM is one of the worst in the league.Without Luck,he would already unemployed and I think he will be fired by Irsay after this year.

Irsay has not given a new contract at his GM in the offseason.

TeeTee
09-24-2015, 06:16 PM
Trust the o-line!!!!!

That is mind blowing.

fansince'76
09-24-2015, 06:23 PM
I remember when Ben couldn't get through 1 quarter of a single game without being hit at least 5 times. :chuckle:

86WARD
09-24-2015, 08:12 PM
That is mind blowing.

IT really is...he probably doesnt know what to do with himself...

hawaiiansteeler
09-26-2015, 12:29 PM
the Rams pass defense is allowing 81 percent of passes to be completed and an opposing QB rating of 123 against them, both 31st in the league...

polamalubeast
09-26-2015, 12:39 PM
the Rams pass defense is allowing 81 percent of passes to be completed and an opposing QB rating of 123 against them, both 31st in the league...

But the Rams only give 6.7 yards per pass attempt....

hawaiiansteeler
09-26-2015, 05:07 PM
But the Rams only give 6.7 yards per pass attempt....

in that case we'll make a new first down every two passing plays...:wink02:

steelerdude15
09-26-2015, 07:46 PM
This is the first big test for the O-Line, they were great these past two weeks, but this is the first real good Defensive Line they're facing.

The Rams are coming off a loss, they're at home, and their Defensive Line is pretty good.

This is a game the Steelers can easily lose if the O-Line has a bad day. The Rams will bring it.

The Rams have the best defensive line in the NFL regardless of the format teams play in. These guys will definitely bring it and will be the biggest test our offensive line will see this year.

- - - Updated - - -

I remember when Ben couldn't get through 1 quarter of a single game without being hit at least 5 times. :chuckle:

And its a great feeling we don't have to deal with that anymore.

Moose
09-27-2015, 05:13 AM
Attack.....Attack.....Attack ! NO conservative crap !

polamalubeast
09-27-2015, 05:16 AM
Attack.....Attack.....Attack ! NO conservative crap !

:thumbsup:

teegre
09-27-2015, 08:43 AM
The Rams have the best defensive line in the NFL regardless of the format teams play in. These guys will definitely bring it and will be the biggest test our offensive line will see this year.

I agree. And, the way to attack a pass rush is to run at it.

http://www.thepointofpittsburgh.com/for-the-steelers-against-the-rams-left-is-right/