PDA

View Full Version : Julio Jones vs. Antonio Brown: Who Is the Most Dangerous Receiver in the NFL?

polamalubeast
09-21-2015, 04:08 PM
The question of who the best two receivers in the NFL are is hardly a debate. The question of who is the best receiver in the NFL is a tough one to answer.

Who's No. 1? Who should have the longer successful career?

Watch as Hall of Fame-worthy quarterback Phil Simms joins Stephen Nelson and Bleacher Report NFL analyst Chris Simms in providing logic behind the debate in the video above.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2570270-julio-jones-vs-antonio-brown-who-is-most-dangerous-receiver-in-nfl

Count Steeler
09-21-2015, 04:12 PM
Not going to click. I hate these discussions. Jones is good. Brown is great. He is a Steeler and that is all that matters to me.

fansince'76
09-21-2015, 04:46 PM
Phil Simms HoF-worthy? (snicker)

In-com-plete! Now that's the Phil Simms I know!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmxwE4tKtU8&feature=youtu.be

:chuckle:

tube517
09-21-2015, 04:48 PM
Clorox report :yawn:

teegre
09-21-2015, 05:22 PM
It's AB... and everyone else.

NFL Network had this type of discussion, and AB was the consensus answer. Mike & Mike & Chris Carter had this exact discussion (AB vs JJ), and Carter said its AB without question. (insert media outlet) had this discussion, and they all agreed: AB.

Craic
09-21-2015, 05:44 PM
I don't think that's even a question. The question that should be asked is: at this point in his career, can we start identifying AB as the next potential Jerry Rice in terms of greatness.

My answer: not yet, but he's getting there. He has the ability, the work ethic, and his numbers are creeping up there. In fact, if he has an explosive season this year, he could almost match Jerry Rice's numbers for total yards after 6 years (and Rice played all of his first year, unlike Brown). What he doesn't yet have is longevity, but that, by definition, is a matter of time.

I always said if players like T.O had Hines Ward's work ethic and team attitude, they'd be as good as Rice. Maybe, just maybe, we have that in Brown. Again, only time will tell.

tube517
09-21-2015, 05:51 PM
ePriduPgMBj Coutesy of Chidi (Alex K's) Vine

86WARD
09-21-2015, 06:17 PM
1a and 1b. Jones is just as good as Brown. Brown is just as good as Jones.

TeeTee
09-21-2015, 06:26 PM
The question of who the best two receivers in the NFL are is hardly a debate. The question of who is the best receiver in the NFL is a tough one to answer.

Who's No. 1? Who should have the longer successful career?

Watch as Hall of Fame-worthy quarterback Phil Simms joins Stephen Nelson and Bleacher Report NFL analyst Chris Simms in providing logic behind the debate in the video above.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2570270-julio-jones-vs-antonio-brown-who-is-most-dangerous-receiver-in-nfl

The thing that MUST be brought into the conversation, is what QB is each getting the ball thrown from? I think whoever has Ben over Ginger head is going to beat out the other.

86WARD
09-21-2015, 06:31 PM
Matt Ryan isn't a slouch...but Ben is much better IMO.

Psycho Ward 86
09-21-2015, 07:03 PM
antonio brown, julio jones, demaryius thomas, calvin johnson (assuming he's up to his level from like 2 years ago), and dez bryant are all in this conversation

that being said, for the past 2 seasons, there is ZERO argument that antonio brown has been the best in that span of time. The tape doesnt lie, the numbers dont lie.

TeeTee
09-21-2015, 07:06 PM
Matt Ryan isn't a slouch...but Ben is much better IMO.

My bad, I got Jones confused with AJ Green, again. I always mix them up.

SteelerFanInStl
09-21-2015, 07:12 PM
Julio is a great WR but I'll still take AB.

86WARD
09-21-2015, 07:15 PM
Julio is a great WR but I'll still take AB.

I think if we asked Falcons fans the same question, the answer would be: Antonio is a great WR but I'll still take JJ.

steelreserve
09-21-2015, 07:17 PM
Brown and it's not even close. Jones had a great season last year, but Brown has been so CONSISTENTLY good for several years, and what's amazing is that even now, he's consistently continuing to improve. If Calvin Johnson could make it through a whole season without nagging injuries, he'd probably be as good or better than Jones too. I do wonder if he's no the downside of his career now, though.

As good as Brown is now, I wouldn't even begin comparing him to Rice yet. Dare to dream. Rice was so good it wasn't even fair. He would probably have multiple 2,000-yard seasons with today's rules.

SteelerFanInStl
09-21-2015, 07:23 PM
I think if we asked Falcons fans the same question, the answer would be: Antonio is a great WR but I'll still take JJ.

No question, I'm sure that they would. Both teams and fans should be very happy with their guy.

86WARD
09-21-2015, 07:49 PM
Brown and it's not even close. Jones had a great season last year, but Brown has been so CONSISTENTLY good for several years, and what's amazing is that even now, he's consistently continuing to improve. If Calvin Johnson could make it through a whole season without nagging injuries, he'd probably be as good or better than Jones too. I do wonder if he's no the downside of his career now, though.

As good as Brown is now, I wouldn't even begin comparing him to Rice yet. Dare to dream. Rice was so good it wasn't even fair. He would probably have multiple 2,000-yard seasons with today's rules.

No offense, but have you watched Jones play? I don't think you give him enough credit. He's easily a top WR in this game and by top, I mean 1 or 2.

st33lersguy
09-21-2015, 08:02 PM
I'd put Megatron, AJ Green, and Dez Bryant over Julio Jones. Julio is pretty good, but not top 3 and not certainly not on AB's level

86WARD
09-21-2015, 08:08 PM
I'd disagree. At this point the Top-3 in my opinion would be AB, Julio and Dez.

zulater
09-21-2015, 10:00 PM
I'll take AB over Jones. But Jones is damn good, and don't pretend it's not close.

But again give me AB.

Now of course if the question were AB or Mike Wallace... well hard to make that determination in ..........

I keed I keed...... :chuckle:

Craic
09-21-2015, 10:21 PM

No. I doubt it very much because so many of his big-yard games and seasons early on came because no one knew how to defend against the west-coast offense. That's not taking anything from Rice, by the way. Instead, I'm saying the advantage he and that team had with the WCO as a receiver over Defenses in general and DBs in particular is about equal to the advantage any WR has today.

As far as comparisons are concerned, i agree it's too early as I stated before. But, I do think he's getting to the place where the question can legitimately be entertained, "Can AB rise to the level of Jerry Rice?" And, I say that only after he begins his 5th year of solid football, with each year looking better than the previous.

HollywoodSteel
09-22-2015, 03:07 PM
Craic, I will back you on the Jerry Rice comparison. I'm not talking numbers here, just about being great. It's the way AB prepares. I've been making that comparison since I did some research on AB last year. His preparation can not be matched by anyone in the league. Very Rice-like, and that's really what made Rice so good. He wasn't necessarily the most naturally gifted receiver, it was the way he practiced (and of course he had great QBs). If AB stays healthy and has a long career, the comparison will be made by a lot more people than us.

HollywoodSteel
09-22-2015, 03:12 PM
I'm not saying JJ isn't great right now. But guys like that are just incredible athletes that are built for the job (tall, strong and fast). Not saying JJ has a bad work ethic or anything, I'm sure he's great at practice and preparation. But once he loses a step in the speed department, he loses his "great" status very quickly. Rice outlasted everyone because of the way he worked. That's why I'd take AB over anyone in the league. Short term and long term.

Psycho Ward 86
09-22-2015, 03:24 PM
Speaking of JJ, the other JJ (Watt) along with Antonio Brown would probably win a hardest worker award every year if there were one

ALLD
09-22-2015, 05:33 PM
ePriduPgMBj Coutesy of Chidi (Alex K's) Vine

You notice AB avoided taking a big shot to the head or knees. He also avoided a fumble after making a huge gain. The TD came soon after anyway. You never see him make a desperate move, only calculating ones.

steelreserve
09-22-2015, 05:58 PM
No offense, but have you watched Jones play? I don't think you give him enough credit. He's easily a top WR in this game and by top, I mean 1 or 2.

Yeah, I've seen him play, and no doubt he's one of the top 3 receivers. I just don't see him doing what Brown does day in and day out. Jones either dominates you or he doesn't. If Brown doesn't dominate you, he still finds some under-the-radar way to do just as much damage. The consistency with which he brings his A game is unmatched. Sorry, I can give Jones credit but I still think it's an easy call.

No. I doubt it very much because so many of his big-yard games and seasons early on came because no one knew how to defend against the west-coast offense. That's not taking anything from Rice, by the way. Instead, I'm saying the advantage he and that team had with the WCO as a receiver over Defenses in general and DBs in particular is about equal to the advantage any WR has today.

As far as comparisons are concerned, i agree it's too early as I stated before. But, I do think he's getting to the place where the question can legitimately be entertained, "Can AB rise to the level of Jerry Rice?" And, I say that only after he begins his 5th year of solid football, with each year looking better than the previous.

Fair enough, although "early in his career" is relative. Early for Rice is a full career for most players. The guy had eight seasons over 1,000 yards after age 30, including five in a row. I think by then people were used to the West Coast Offense and ready to gameplan for him. He routinely had those big numbers against double or triple coverage. To me, there is still no parallel.

HollywoodSteel
09-22-2015, 06:18 PM
Another point in defense of Brown's superiority to players who, at the top of their game are very much like JJ is now - the year before last (I think) I watched Joe Haden shut down Megatron (when he was considered the best) and A.J. Green twice (I think there was another great receiver in there that year but I forgot who it was) before we played the Browns. I was worried about Haden taking Brown out of the game, or tricking Ben into throwing his way and jumping the route. But Brown owned Haden all game long. Ben went to Brown on a long ball (so Brown wasn't even utilizing his short pass then escape for big yardage stuff) on the first drive and torched Haden for a TD. Then the rest of the game AB owned Haden in every way possible.

And I love Haden as a corner. He works really hard in preparation as well, watching every throw the opposing QB has EVER made as well as learning everything about the receiver he's gonna lock up with. But Ben went to AB all day on him. He'll take Brown one on one with ANYONE every time. And Ben is right to do so.

HollywoodSteel
09-22-2015, 06:31 PM
Yeah, I've seen him play, and no doubt he's one of the top 3 receivers. I just don't see him doing what Brown does day in and day out. Jones either dominates you or he doesn't. If Brown doesn't dominate you, he still finds some under-the-radar way to do just as much damage. The consistency with which he brings his A game is unmatched. Sorry, I can give Jones credit but I still think it's an easy call.

Fair enough, although "early in his career" is relative. Early for Rice is a full career for most players. The guy had eight seasons over 1,000 yards after age 30, including five in a row. I think by then people were used to the West Coast Offense and ready to gameplan for him. He routinely had those big numbers against double or triple coverage. To me, there is still no parallel.

No one can say you are objectively wrong. I could throw out all the differences that gave Rice a bigger edge back then, but he's the GOAT and AB has along way to go before proving he might be just as good to the world. I just think that AB's natural skills PLUS his Rice-like work ethic makes the comparison a good one. He's the receiver I think about when I read about AB's preparation (and staying in perfect shape ALL YEAR LONG, just like Rice did) and watch AB on the field. I don't really care about the stat numbers. I'm just saying it's a reasonable comparison to make.

And I agree with Psycho Ward about JJ Watt being the defensive version of AB as far as work ethic goes. He's not only talented, but you know he's dedicating all that talent and more to the game he plays. I really didn't know how hard of a worker (being the last guy on the practice field, just like AB, etc) Watt is until I watched Hard Knocks this year. Man, I wish we had that guy in a Steelers uniform. I feel bad for him having to settle for the Texans this year. Watt deserves a Super Bowl ring sometime in his career .

lipps83
09-22-2015, 08:06 PM
Anyone know if there is a gif of AB ripping the ball away from the defender one handed last week? I wonder if Jones could pull that off.

steelreserve
09-23-2015, 02:07 AM
No one can say you are objectively wrong. I could throw out all the differences that gave Rice a bigger edge back then, but he's the GOAT and AB has along way to go before proving he might be just as good to the world. I just think that AB's natural skills PLUS his Rice-like work ethic makes the comparison a good one. He's the receiver I think about when I read about AB's preparation (and staying in perfect shape ALL YEAR LONG, just like Rice did) and watch AB on the field. I don't really care about the stat numbers. I'm just saying it's a reasonable comparison to make.

Not doubting that it's reasonable, or at least a natural comparison to make. Hearing about Brown's balls-out dedication is a near-perfect parallel. Brown's the best receiver I've seen in a long time, certainly the best on the Steelers, and one of very, very few who's been so good so consistently and shows no signs of burning out.

But playing 20+ seasons and being the best in the game for nearly all of them? That's unheard of. I'd say Brown's got maybe a 10% chance of that, being generous. Not because there's anything wrong with him, just because Rice really was that good. I mean, the dude still has 50% more career receiving yards than the second-place guy, and 50 more touchdowns, and despite all the changes in the game, no one active is even close to either. And this from an era when it was NOT all about the stats; just the natural result of being good.

The name that keeps coming up for me is another Brown - Tim Brown - who had the second-best career of any receiver of that era and likely would have been #1 in most others. Really similar consistency, a lot of playmaking ability, thrived in any situation and was good for a really really long time. If A. Brown has a career like that, we will have had one of the best receivers ever to play the game and I would be thrilled. As good as Rice? That's almost impossible.

86WARD
09-23-2015, 01:20 PM
Anyone know if there is a gif of AB ripping the ball away from the defender one handed last week? I wonder if Jones could pull that off.

I'm pretty sure Jones could pull that off. Jones is right there with Brown. Look at some of his catches. Look at some of his highlights...he's pretty ridiculous.

Here's the closest I could find and I don't know that I'd even put this on his highlight reel.

https://cdn3.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/ll3EyO5c9U8hjMilkNG7sDzQixQ=/600x0/filters:no_upscale()/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/4079674/jlio.0.gif

I'd take AB over Jones, but if I got stuck with Julio instead of AB, I would lose zero sleep over it.

ALLD
09-23-2015, 06:03 PM
They both mix basketball technique with football. Too short to play NBA, but some of those skills transfer. How incredible do you think they would look on a CFL regulation size field?

http://www.13thman.com/cflvsnfl.html

Craic
09-23-2015, 09:57 PM
Not doubting that it's reasonable, or at least a natural comparison to make. Hearing about Brown's balls-out dedication is a near-perfect parallel. Brown's the best receiver I've seen in a long time, certainly the best on the Steelers, and one of very, very few who's been so good so consistently and shows no signs of burning out.

But playing 20+ seasons and being the best in the game for nearly all of them? That's unheard of. I'd say Brown's got maybe a 10% chance of that, being generous. Not because there's anything wrong with him, just because Rice really was that good. I mean, the dude still has 50% more career receiving yards than the second-place guy, and 50 more touchdowns, and despite all the changes in the game, no one active is even close to either. And this from an era when it was NOT all about the stats; just the natural result of being good.

Edit: Also meant to say you make a lot of good points. It's why I asked the question differently above.

The name that keeps coming up for me is another Brown - Tim Brown - who had the second-best career of any receiver of that era and likely would have been #1 in most others. Really similar consistency, a lot of playmaking ability, thrived in any situation and was good for a really really long time. If A. Brown has a career like that, we will have had one of the best receivers ever to play the game and I would be thrilled. As good as Rice? That's almost impossible.

Sounds to me your big argument is consistency + longevity. Am I right? If so, I think Brown so far has shown consistency, but as I said earlier, it's the longevity that we are all waiting to see, without the consistency dropping off. So, let's go about this discussion in a slightly different manner: if you had to rate Brown as he is currently playing, and Rice in his sixth year, where do you put Brown on the Rice-Scale?

In that measurement, I'd say he rates about 97 out of a Jerry Rice one hundred. He'll never measure 100 because his physical size limits him from getting some of the balls Jerry Rice would have caught, but right now, I think that's it. Hands, route tree, talent/knowledge, hard work, consistency, etc., I think they are equal at this point in their respective careers.

Psycho Ward 86
09-23-2015, 11:15 PM
Sounds to me your big argument is consistency + longevity. Am I right? If so, I think Brown so far has shown consistency, but as I said earlier, it's the longevity that we are all waiting to see, without the consistency dropping off. So, let's go about this discussion in a slightly different manner: if you had to rate Brown as he is currently playing, and Rice in his sixth year, where do you put Brown on the Rice-Scale?

In that measurement, I'd say he rates about 97 out of a Jerry Rice one hundred. He'll never measure 100 because his physical size limits him from getting some of the balls Jerry Rice would have caught, but right now, I think that's it. Hands, route tree, talent/knowledge, hard work, consistency, etc., I think they are equal at this point in their respective careers.

maybe AB will finish at a Steve Largent level.

Ill take it.

steelreserve
09-23-2015, 11:19 PM

I don't know. I'd probably say about a 92. There's one guy who I'd put at 95 or over on that scale based on his first six years, and that's Randy Moss. Fitzgerald and Megatron would be the others I'd put tied with Brown or between Brown and Moss over their first six.

Keep in mind, by Rice's second season, he'd already set the league record for receiving touchdowns in a season, and gone well over 1,000 yards in all of his first six, except his rookie season when he got 900+ and didn't even start. Brown's past two seasons were great yardage-wise, but would've been among Rice's worst for touchdowns, and that's despite routinely getting more catches than Rice had targets. By Rice's standards, Brown had one mediocre season in his first three, and the other two flat-out sucked. I'm sorry, dude, I'm excited about Brown too, and so should we all be, but the scale of accomplishments is just impossible. He's an incredible receiver by any standard but that one.

In that respect, including Julio Jones in that conversation is a joke. He had a couple pretty good first seasons, but nothing to write home about by today's standards. Then one really good season last year. On the grand scale, he could just be the flavor of the month for all I know.

Craic
09-24-2015, 12:35 AM
maybe AB will finish at a Steve Largent level.

Ill take it.

Those were the days when I was a Seahawk fan as well as a Steelers fan. I loved watching Largent.

I don't know. I'd probably say about a 92. There's one guy who I'd put at 95 or over on that scale based on his first six years, and that's Randy Moss. Fitzgerald and Megatron would be the others I'd put tied with Brown or between Brown and Moss over their first six.

Keep in mind, by Rice's second season, he'd already set the league record for receiving touchdowns in a season, and gone well over 1,000 yards in all of his first six, except his rookie season when he got 900+ and didn't even start. Brown's past two seasons were great yardage-wise, but would've been among Rice's worst for touchdowns, and that's despite routinely getting more catches than Rice had targets. By Rice's standards, Brown had one mediocre season in his first three, and the other two flat-out sucked. I'm sorry, dude, I'm excited about Brown too, and so should we all be, but the scale of accomplishments is just impossible. He's an incredible receiver by any standard but that one.

In that respect, including Julio Jones in that conversation is a joke. He had a couple pretty good first seasons, but nothing to write home about by today's standards. Then one really good season last year. On the grand scale, he could just be the flavor of the month for all I know.

Fair enough. I'd argue a couple points about Rice, namely, he wasn't coming in under the shadow of possibly the greatest Wide Receiver (team wise) to have touched the field in twenty or so years, nor did he have to battle against two other young and talented (I know, I know, but Wallace did show talent when he was younger) receivers for playing time. So I think comparing TDs will obviously be a disadvantage, and maybe, not the best comparison.

Even with that said, there's no doubt Rice was heads and tails above everyone else. Remember, this entire discussion was about asking if we could even begin talking about a comparison, and I said not yet. So in truth, we're not too far away from each other. As for the other receivers you mention, I don't know. Moss was impressive, but I think he got by on talent and didn't hone his craft. Fitzgerald's a beast. I wish we could have seen him on a team with a solid QB. Put him on the Pats* or Colts or the Steelers for his career, and maybe he's the guy we're talking about. Megatron, if I remember right, can dominate, but he's having longevity problems, no? (I hate old age).

Honestly, the guy that I think could have really challenged Rice could have been T.O. Too bad his head got in the way of his game. As I said before, if T.O had Hines Ward's mentality and drive, I think he might have matched Rice's career.

teegre
09-24-2015, 07:04 AM
AB vs. Jerry Rice

I'll check back in, after 10 more years.

86WARD
09-24-2015, 11:06 AM
AB vs. Jerry Rice

I'll check back in, after 10 more years.

Yes. Agree.

steelreserve
09-24-2015, 11:13 AM
Fair enough. I'd argue a couple points about Rice, namely, he wasn't coming in under the shadow of possibly the greatest Wide Receiver (team wise) to have touched the field in twenty or so years, nor did he have to battle against two other young and talented (I know, I know, but Wallace did show talent when he was younger) receivers for playing time. So I think comparing TDs will obviously be a disadvantage, and maybe, not the best comparison.

Even with that said, there's no doubt Rice was heads and tails above everyone else. Remember, this entire discussion was about asking if we could even begin talking about a comparison, and I said not yet. So in truth, we're not too far away from each other. As for the other receivers you mention, I don't know. Moss was impressive, but I think he got by on talent and didn't hone his craft. Fitzgerald's a beast. I wish we could have seen him on a team with a solid QB. Put him on the Pats* or Colts or the Steelers for his career, and maybe he's the guy we're talking about. Megatron, if I remember right, can dominate, but he's having longevity problems, no? (I hate old age).

Honestly, the guy that I think could have really challenged Rice could have been T.O. Too bad his head got in the way of his game. As I said before, if T.O had Hines Ward's mentality and drive, I think he might have matched Rice's career.

Yeah, I think we're mostly on the same page with this.

Moss is probably the guy in that group with the same talent as Rice, maybe even more, but he did next to nothing to develop it further.

You're right, Owens was another one who belongs in the conversation for best other than Rice ... I think he was slightly less talented than Moss but did work harder. For all the big deal made about his attitude, though, it didn't really cost him any games - he just kept switching teams and continuing to be just as productive. The thing that's a shame with him is that he had that severe injury that effectively ended his career. He had a pretty damn good season at age 37 and probably could've kept playing for another 2 or 3 years otherwise. That would've separated him from the rest of the guys vying for #2, anyway.

Megatron looks like another one of those guys who's got all-world talent but can only keep it up for a relatively short time. There are a ton of those guys, though none quite so talented that I've seen. Fitzgerald ... well, he did play with Kurt Warner in that wide-open offense for a long time, so I think he got a fair shot.

Brown did have a disadvantage having to establish himself after being a 6th-round pick, so say that cost him a year. Not sure about the level-of-competition though; Dwight Clark may not be remembered for much more than "The Catch" elsewhere, but he was kind of the white Hines Ward of the 49ers' two Super Bowl teams to that point. They also had a RB who caught for over 1,000 yards to go along with him. And of course, the focus on offense ... despite the new West Coast Offense, the 49ers were 5th in the league with less than 3,700 passing yards Rice's rookie season, which would be laughable today, and they pretty regularly came in below the 4,000 mark even through the late 1990s. It still was a different game.

So anyway ... it is possible to START the conversation about whether Brown could be as good as Rice? Sure, no doubt. But like many other guys before him, he will have to continue at this level for a long time, and have 10 or 15 things all break in his favor in the meantime, to even be close.

86WARD
09-28-2015, 12:52 PM
Those who don't think Jones is a Top WR:

Through 3 games: 34 receptions; 440 yards; 4 TDs.

Brown not that far off: 29 receptions; 436 yards; 2 TDs.

Easily the Top-2 guys in the league...

Count Steeler
09-28-2015, 01:50 PM
Those who don't think Jones is a Top WR:

Through 3 games: 34 receptions; 440 yards; 4 TDs.

Brown not that far off: 29 receptions; 436 yards; 2 TDs.

Easily the Top-2 guys in the league...

I think I saw on NFL.com that the 34 receptions is a record to start a season over the first 3 games. Maybe not a "record" per se, but nobody has ever done it.

EzraTank
09-28-2015, 01:52 PM
1a and 1b. Jones is just as good as Brown. Brown is just as good as Jones.

This.

polamalubeast
09-28-2015, 01:59 PM

Count Steeler
09-29-2015, 05:55 AM
Sure hope Vick has eyes for Brown.

He did not complete a pass to Antonio against the Rams.

86WARD
09-29-2015, 05:56 AM
It think he will once they practice together...he was grown into that game and frankly didn't look too prepared for it...

fansince'76
09-29-2015, 09:34 AM
It think he will once they practice together...he was grown into that game and frankly didn't look too prepared for it...

Which is worrisome considering that his only job up to now was to be prepared...

teegre
09-29-2015, 10:50 AM
didn't look too prepared for it...

Vick has admitted that he wasn't prepared. :doh:

Source:
I was listening to Jay Mohr (Mohr Sports), and he said that Vick admitted to not having read much of the playbook, and thus, he was not prepared. Ugh.

This week:
Have a short list of about 10 plays that he can run well, which also have almost zero chance of hurting the team. Run those 10 plays ad nauseum all game... along with Bell and Williams getting 55% of the snaps.

The mindset need to be akin trying to win with a rookie QB: ride the RBs to victory.

86WARD
09-29-2015, 10:54 AM
Which is worrisome considering that his only job up to now was to be prepared...

The scenario is obviously different now, so I'd like to think he'd be more prepared as a starter and more prepared as a backup in the future. It wasn't that long ago that he was putting up great numbers with the Eagles...

st33lersguy
09-29-2015, 08:14 PM
Vick has admitted that he wasn't prepared. :doh:

Source:
I was listening to Jay Mohr (Mohr Sports), and he said that Vick admitted to not having read much of the playbook, and thus, he was not prepared. Ugh.

This week:
Have a short list of about 10 plays that he can run well, which also have almost zero chance of hurting the team. Run those 10 plays ad nauseum all game... along with Bell and Williams getting 55% of the snaps.

The mindset need to be akin trying to win with a rookie QB: ride the RBs to victory.

So now Baltimore knows what to prepare for. Load the box and pressure Vick while reviewing the plays during the game and know exactly where to go the next time

Count Steeler
09-29-2015, 08:17 PM
So now Baltimore knows what to prepare for. Load the box and pressure Vick while reviewing the plays during the game and know exactly where to go the next time

Or is that Vick playing "Ben" for the media?

teegre
09-29-2015, 10:53 PM

Execution.

If a play is executed well, it can't be defended. The Cowboys in the 90s had something like four running plays; they just executed them so well, that no one could stop them. I'd rather have Vick run 10 plays that he can execute well, as opposed to 30 plays that he doesn't.

j-d-s
09-30-2015, 03:46 AM
I would give AB a very tiny edge over Julio because AB is more elusive in the open field. Made some good punt returns, and I remember when he almost scored on a circus play at the end of our loss to Miami in the snow.