PDA

View Full Version : TPOP: All I Want Is PERFECTION

teegre
09-21-2015, 10:15 AM
Here is my latest article for The Point of Pittsburgh:

All I Want is Perfection - Is That Too Much to Ask???
by Tiger Rowan

Ben Roethlisberger is my guy. When he was drafted, I jumped up and down (literally), and predicted that he would lead the Steelers to six Super Bowls, winning five of them. There might be other quarterbacks with better statistics, but I will take Big Ben ten out of ten times. For years, I have debated with people about the value of Ben Roethlisberger versus the media darlings, such as Aaron Rodgers, Peyton Manning, and Tom Brady. People have provided me with coincidental statistics and banal rhetoric… to no avail… because, again, Big Ben is my guy. Period.

So, on a day where Roethlisberger tied Terry Bradshaw for the most victories by a Steelers quarterback (107), it might shock some to hear me say: Ben could have played better.

Read more:
http://www.thepointofpittsburgh.com/all-i-want-is-perfection-is-that-too-much-to-ask/

If you enjoyed it, feel free to pass it on to others.

teegre
09-21-2015, 02:22 PM
I thought that this would stir up more of a discussion...

(Maybe everyone just agrees with me... :wink02: )

Count Steeler
09-21-2015, 02:31 PM
I think everyone is still high from the win. Maybe in a day or 2 when life and problems remove the euphoria we are still riding, then maybe we will look at the game with a more critical eye. Funny, the part of the game you reference is the part I haven't watched as yet.

teegre
09-21-2015, 02:36 PM
I think everyone is still high from the win. Maybe in a day or 2 when life and problems remove the euphoria we are still riding, then maybe we will look at the game with a more critical eye. Funny, the part of the game you reference is the part I haven't watched as yet.

So what you're saying is, in a few days, everyone will be back to wanting to trade BB to Oakland. :lol:

Really though, I'm not trying to be overly critical, those deep balls just stuck out to me. BB can uncork a deep ball 70 yards... but, he habitually underthrows his receivers. He'd have 30 more TDs in his career...

And, I get it: my nitpicking is akin to complaining about the color of eye shadow that Kate Upton wears. :wink02:

tube517
09-21-2015, 02:56 PM
So what you're saying is, in a few days, everyone will be back to wanting to trade BB to Oakland

If you were here in 2013 after the disasterous 0-4 start...... :chuckle:

teegre
09-21-2015, 03:01 PM
If you were here in 2013 after the disasterous 0-4 start...... :chuckle:

I can imagine. I was over at SF, and it was awful.

"Trade BB to Oakland" was an actual thread. :doh:

Thank goodness Landry Jones squelched all of that noise.

steelreserve
09-21-2015, 03:02 PM
Blah blah, damn spoiled Steelers fans. Won't be happy unless we go 16-0 with 16 shutouts and average 5,000 yards of offense par game. TRADE BEN! FIRE TOMLIN!

teegre
09-21-2015, 03:08 PM
Blah blah, damn spoiled Steelers fans. Won't be happy unless we go 16-0 with 16 shutouts and average 5,000 yards of offense par game. TRADE BEN! FIRE TOMLIN!

I hear you... that's been my dad's mantra for as long as I can remember. :lol:

Joking aside: I'm a realist. I'm not saying that 43 points is chopped liver.

But... I've just noticed that if BB has an Achilles heel, it's his deep ball.

Nadroj 20
09-21-2015, 03:11 PM

Definitely it is. That's always been the case. AB scores yesterday in the 4th quarter on that free play if Ben gets more ump behind that pass.

Ben is fantastic don't get me wrong, but yes if I have to point out a weakness, or maybe better put, an average part of his game...it's the deep pass.

fansince'76
09-21-2015, 03:12 PM

I think Ben's deep ball has improved. That first long one to AB was a thing of beauty - he dropped it right where it needed to be and it wasn't like AB was wide open.

teegre
09-21-2015, 03:20 PM
Definitely it is. That's always been the case. AB scores yesterday in the 4th quarter on that free play if Ben gets more ump behind that pass.

Ben is fantastic don't get me wrong, but yes if I have to point out a weakness, or maybe better put, an average part of his game...it's the deep pass.

Exactly.

He's great... but, no one is above reproach.

- - - Updated - - -

I think Ben's deep ball has improved. That first long one to AB was a thing of beauty - he dropped it right where it needed to be and it wasn't like AB was wide open.

The pass to DHB was even better.

Hmmm...

When the DBs are covering the receivers: BB throws a perfect pass. When the receivers are wide open: BB underthrows them. SUMMATION: These damn receivers need to stop getting so wide open!!! (:chuckle: )

GBMelBlount
09-21-2015, 03:33 PM

I have felt this way for a long time.

Steeldude
09-21-2015, 04:03 PM
So what you're saying is, in a few days, everyone will be back to wanting to trade BB to Oakland. :lol:

Really though, I'm not trying to be overly critical, those deep balls just stuck out to me. BB can uncork a deep ball 70 yards... but, he habitually underthrows his receivers. He'd have 30 more TDs in his career...

And, I get it: my nitpicking is akin to complaining about the color of eye shadow that Kate Upton wears. :wink02:

That was the main thing that bugged me about BR. He throws a horrible long ball. He hangs them high just as he did in college. He also has the tendency to throw off his back foot. I was always puzzled as to why the QB coach never corrected it. Anyway, he is better at it now. His field vision in the pocket is so much better too.

Count Steeler
09-21-2015, 04:15 PM

Every pass should be a TD. Correction, every play should be a TD. And every defensive play should be a strip 6 or a pick 6. Now we are talking.

tube517
09-21-2015, 04:56 PM
I just rewatched the 2008 playoff game vs SD and he is more polished now. I think his training with George Whitfield during his suspension helped alot. Again, he isn't perfect but he has improved.

But, trade his ass anyways...he's just a game manager. :chuckle:

Craic
09-21-2015, 05:26 PM

This.

I was actually thinking about it yesterday. I can't criticize Ben's deep ball anymore to the point where I think it's a distinct weakness in his game. He's always had the strength, but he threw short because he would always try to laser beam the ball as much as possible. I think getting WRs like Mike Wallace, AB, DHB, etc, who have all the speed in the world has made Ben focus on the deep ball, and throwing it properly.

That, along with his decision-making speeding up has been the difference, I think.

teegre
09-21-2015, 05:34 PM
I was always puzzled as to why the QB coach never corrected it.

His OCs have been too busy.

Whiz it was too busy telling at him. Arians was too busy creating new bubble screens. And, Haley is too busy redecorating bathrooms.

- - - Updated - - -

I just rewatched the 2008 playoff game vs SD and he is more polished now. I think his training with George Whitfield during his suspension helped alot. Again, he isn't perfect but he has improved.

But, trade his ass anyways...he's just a game manager. :chuckle:

Indeed... he's a much better QB now than he was even three years ago.

Still, I'd rather he be more like Peyton Manning. (:jerkit: )

- - - Updated - - -

This.

I was actually thinking about it yesterday. I can't criticize Ben's deep ball anymore to the point where I think it's a distinct weakness in his game. He's always had the strength, but he threw short because he would always try to laser beam the ball as much as possible. I think getting WRs like Mike Wallace, AB, DHB, etc, who have all the speed in the world has made Ben focus on the deep ball, and throwing it properly.

That, along with his decision-making speeding up has been the difference, I think.

What's interesting is that during the game, my dad (who normally yells at any incomplete pass thrown by BB) stated that BB had his best game as a Steeler.

And then... I go and write the opposite.

tube517
09-21-2015, 05:38 PM
my dad, who normally yells at any incomplete pass thrown by BB,

Tell him to come in the Game Day Thread.... :chuckle:

teegre
09-21-2015, 05:41 PM
Tell him to come in the Game Day Thread.... :chuckle:

He'd get banned by the end of the first quarter. :rofl2:

86WARD
09-21-2015, 07:27 PM

That whole idea to trade BB to Oakland was a joke. I for one NEVER jumped on that bandwagon...

teegre
09-21-2015, 10:49 PM
That whole idea to trade BB to Oakland was a joke. I for one NEVER jumped on that bandwagon...

Were you over at SF?

What was your username over there? (You can PM me the answer, if you'd prefer.)

fansince'76
09-21-2015, 10:55 PM

I remember some mook over there back in 2008 wanting to trade Roethlisberger for Brady Quinn. :lol:

teegre
09-22-2015, 06:58 AM
I remember some mook over there back in 2008 wanting to trade Roethlisberger for Brady Quinn. :lol:

:scared:

At least the trade with Oakland made "some" sense: 1) BB is 7 years older, and 2) the trade would have netted Derek Carr (who is good), plus the 4th and 36th overall draft picks.