PDA

View Full Version : Steelers look for ways to generate more points

stillers4me
09-18-2015, 05:28 AM
The Steelers accomplished a feat in their opener in New England not often done in the NFL. They produced a 300-yard passer, a 100-yard rusher and a 100-yard receiver — and still managed to lose!

Since the start of the 2010 season, teams that have turned that trifecta have won 38 times, lost 11 and tied once, according to Elias, the NFL’s official stats keeper. That’s a winning percentage of .776, or .792 before the Steelers found a way to do it and lose.

The previous team to accomplish such a dubious feat was Seattle in a 2014 loss at St. Louis, 28-16. Maybe that’s a good sign for these Steelers since the Seahawks reached the Super Bowl and probably should have won it............

Read more @

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2015/09/18/Steelers-look-for-ways-to-generate-more-points/stories/201509180190?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

86WARD
09-18-2015, 06:37 AM
Idea: Score in the redzone?

tube517
09-18-2015, 06:47 AM
Once the 420 twins come back, we *should* be fine unless Haley calls bubble screens and reverses at the wrong time

Dissolv
09-18-2015, 06:54 AM
That was the thing that I both liked and hated about the Pats game. It was clear the offensive firepower was there, even sans Bell to win. What was missing was discipline and football smarts. However I do expect the team to improve as the year goes on, as is their trend.

Dissolv

ALLD
09-18-2015, 08:19 AM
Once the 420 twins come back, we *should* be fine unless Haley calls bubble screens and reverses at the wrong time

Halfback option with Bell throwing to Jesse James or run Archer up the middle on 3rd and long. It will fool nobody!

Rotorhead
09-18-2015, 10:11 AM
Well, if they would have kept our leading rusher in at the goal line I think we would have had at least 1 more TD. Why do we never run a sweep type play at the goal line anyway. We ALWAYS try to run it up the middle. Williams was KILLING the Pats running around the edge all night, we get to the goal line and we take him out and try to run it up the middle . . . makes no sense. Run the dam people and plays that worked ALL NIGHT! Hopefully they get their heads out of their asses for this game. Hell Archer running a handoff directly to the corner of the EZ would have been a better idea!

TD's & Beer
09-18-2015, 10:14 AM
Wheaton could stop dropping passes.....3 catches, targeted 7 times

teegre
09-18-2015, 12:42 PM
Three red-zone possessions in the first half, netting 3 points.

That's 18 point left on the table.

Count Steeler
09-18-2015, 01:13 PM
They got to get this red zone monkey off their back. Just play. Whether you are at the 50 or at the 15, play. Sure the play calling will change because the field is so much shorter. Just relax and execute.

teegre
09-18-2015, 02:13 PM
They got to get this red zone monkey off their back. Just play. Whether you are at the 50 or at the 15, play. Sure the play calling will change because the field is so much shorter. Just relax and execute.

Exactly.
It's like they have some sort of mental block in the red-zone.

"Let's see, we can always get the ball to AB, Bell is a guaranteed 5 yards, Heath is reliable, and Bryant is a physical mismatch. I know... throw it to the fullback."

:huh:

ALLD
09-18-2015, 04:26 PM
Well, if they would have kept our leading rusher in at the goal line I think we would have had at least 1 more TD. Why do we never run a sweep type play at the goal line anyway. We ALWAYS try to run it up the middle. Williams was KILLING the Pats running around the edge all night, we get to the goal line and we take him out and try to run it up the middle . . . makes no sense. Run the dam people and plays that worked ALL NIGHT! Hopefully they get their heads out of their asses for this game. Hell Archer running a handoff directly to the corner of the EZ would have been a better idea!

No game planning or watching what is occurring before their eyes in the game. They look like they're referring to a set of plays and running those based on statistics rather than what is working or not. Kind of like sending up a left handed hitter to face a LH pitcher instead of sending in your best pinch hitter.

steelreserve
09-19-2015, 04:22 AM
Exactly.
It's like they have some sort of mental block in the red-zone.

"Let's see, we can always get the ball to AB, Bell is a guaranteed 5 yards, Heath is reliable, and Bryant is a physical mismatch. I know... throw it to the fullback."

:huh:

That's pretty tame for us. Next time we're inside the 20, I expect to see:

Archer up the middle for -1 yards
Double reverse for -7 yards
Surprise trade for Willie Colon between downs - holding penalty
FLEAFLICKER! Only guy who goes downfield is Will Johnson
punt from the 30

GBMelBlount
09-19-2015, 06:32 AM

Exactly. Put it in the Fah King end zone please.

Dissolv
09-19-2015, 07:34 AM
No game planning or watching what is occurring before their eyes in the game. They look like they're referring to a set of plays and running those based on statistics rather than what is working or not. Kind of like sending up a left handed hitter to face a LH pitcher instead of sending in your best pinch hitter.

Even by law of averages, I would expect more scores using that method. I think they are doing something *actively* wrong. I just have no idea what it is.

Dissolv

Texasteel
09-19-2015, 06:35 PM

Make the damn catch in bounds, and make you damn field goals.

86WARD
09-19-2015, 07:30 PM
Make the damn catch in bounds, and make you damn field goals.

would be a nice start...

Count Steeler
09-19-2015, 08:49 PM
All we are asking is to keep your head in the game for 60 minutes. Is it really that hard? twitter and facebook and high lights and all the other distractions can wait.

Listen, learn, execute. Win every battle, and if you lose a battle, win the next one.

86WARD
09-19-2015, 09:30 PM
Never seems to work that way as of late...