PDA

View Full Version : Some #'s for consideration.

TeeTee
09-16-2015, 02:22 PM
First of all, of the 4 finalists in last year's playoffs, 3 out of 4 had lost week 1 in the NFL. So, no sweat on the one loss week 1.

However, looking at our schedule, we could easily be looking at 0-3.

Something like 5% of 0-3 teams make the play offs.

SF ain't the whimpering mess we thought they'd be. Bowman is back and is once again a monster.

Now, looking at the Rams, we could easily have our faces caved in by the defense, and we all know Jeff Fisher knows how to knock our teeth out.

I am nor predicting a 0-3 start, but I am just realizing it is very possible, especially with a HC who wants everyone to chill instead of feeling some urgency.

polamalubeast
09-16-2015, 02:26 PM
Not impossible to be 0-3, but very possible to be also 2-1....We must beat the good teams to be considered a good team ...

We just have to wait the results....

polamalubeast
09-16-2015, 02:31 PM
The Steelers can move the ball against every defense in the NFL....The defense of the 49ers and the Rams not scare me.

What is important is to finish drives with a TD and on defense, the Steelers must be better for the communication.....

TeeTee
09-16-2015, 02:32 PM
Not impossible to be 0-3, but very possible to be also 2-1....We must beat the good teams to be considered a good team ...

We just have to wait the results....

I know Pola, but with this coach's history. I am fearful these guys won't apply enough urgency to getting focused. How many seasons have we seen them pushed to the brink of elimination before they woke up and took things seriously? Ben is also part of the "It's all good, just chill, no biggie" attitude.

steelreserve
09-16-2015, 03:03 PM
First of all, of the 4 finalists in last year's playoffs, 3 out of 4 had lost week 1 in the NFL. So, no sweat on the one loss week 1.

For some reason, I was reminded of this ...

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-S-LgYpX68kU/UtUTXGvInqI/AAAAAAAAAfY/xWFtamExAeI/s1600/calvin+and+hobbes.gif

teegre
09-17-2015, 10:12 AM
In 1995, the Steeelrs were 3-4 and all but out of the playoffs... but, ended up going to the SuperBowl.

In 2009, the Steelers were 6-2 and the #1 seed... but, ended up missing the playoffs.

SUMMATION:
There has been one week of football. Calm down.

TD's & Beer
09-17-2015, 01:51 PM
Speaking of numbers...here's what you don't want to see

0-2

Since 2007, 66 teams started 0-2. Only five of them turned it around to make the playoffs

http://www.oddsshark.com/nfl/stats-2-0-teams-and-0-2-teams

TeeTee
09-17-2015, 01:54 PM
Speaking of numbers...here's what you don't want to see

0-2

Since 2007, 66 teams started 0-2. Only five of them turned it around to make the playoffs

http://www.oddsshark.com/nfl/stats-2-0-teams-and-0-2-teams

One of those teams were the Cowboys, going 0-2 because their star RB was holding out. Once Emmitt came back, they were fine and went on to win the Super Bowl.

We will also be without our star RB for 2 week. Maybe..........................................

TD's & Beer
09-17-2015, 02:18 PM
We will also be without our star RB for 2 week. Maybe..........................................

How well I know, my FF team needs him back too, but our problem isn't on offense...scoring 35 pts to win games is a high line to hit every week

TeeTee
09-17-2015, 03:49 PM
How well I know, my FF team needs him back too, but our problem isn't on offense...scoring 35 pts to win games is a high line to hit every week

We only needed to score 29 last week and didn't cut it. But I get your point. Like several Steeler players have said, "Sometimes you need your offense to save the day, other times you will need the D to step up. Every game is different."

It just kills me that all THREE of our DB picks won't play this year. Some where I hope Colbert is regretting waiting until this draft to make a serious effort to upgrade the DBs. But he probably still isn't even admitting it to himself that they screwed this up.

tube517
09-17-2015, 05:37 PM
In 1995, the Steeelrs were 3-4 and all but out of the playoffs... but, ended up going to the SuperBowl.

In 2009, the Steelers were 6-2 and the #1 seed... but, ended up missing the playoffs.

SUMMATION:
There has been one week of football. Calm down.

89 Steelers 0-2 and blown out 92-10 combined score.
4-6 after 10 games.
Made the playoffs and came within a game of the AFC Championship game with Walter Brister at QB, Dwight "Hands of" Stone and Willis Hope " Weegie" Thompson at WR

But, since it's only one game:

http://s3.amazonaws.com/rapgenius/1377303517_tumblr_lgpfc1DfU01qeweuno1_500.jpg :chuckle:

Craic
09-17-2015, 05:54 PM
It just kills me that all THREE of our DB picks won't play this year. Some where I hope Colbert is regretting waiting until this draft to make a serious effort to upgrade the DBs. But he probably still isn't even admitting it to himself that they screwed this up.

It's a matter of priorities, and the fact of the matter is, our O line was a much bigger priority, as was our LB core. It took us years to recover from the horrid mess of a line Whisenhunt and Grimm left us. Yes, that's right, a mess of a line. They focused all on the "here and now" and left us with a failing Kendall Simmons (diabetes) Marvel Smith at the end of his career, Chukky Okkobi as the heir to Hartings (he retired, as did hartings), a rookie Willie Colon just going into his second year, an underperforming Max Starks, a disgrunted Faneca, and great backups like Trai Essex, Kemoeautu and Marvin Philip (DNP). Oh, and Brandon Torrey on the PS. Within a year or two, Fanceca, Hartings, Smith, and Simmons are all gone, leaving us with Colon, Starks, and Kemoeatu. In time, Colon and Starks would come along. Kemo was horrid.

It took a long to fix that mess. And by then, we were hurting at D line and LB. So no, I don't blame Colbert. He's been trying to put out fires ever since Grimm left and Faneca threw his hissy fit.

Mojouw
09-18-2015, 09:46 AM
A 7th round safety and two mid round corners were not going to elevate this defense much beyond mediocrity any ways.

After the game last night, the real regret of the draft is that Steelers were not in a position to draft Marcus Peters. PIck 6 in week one and really locked up D. Thomas in week 2. Peters may prove to be the only "instant" secondary upgrade in the draft class.

86WARD
09-18-2015, 10:01 AM
A 7th round safety and two mid round corners were not going to elevate this defense much beyond mediocrity any ways.

After the game last night, the real regret of the draft is that Steelers were not in a position to draft Marcus Peters. PIck 6 in week one and really locked up D. Thomas in week 2. Peters may prove to be the only "instant" secondary upgrade in the draft class.

Peters had a Pick 6 last night.

teegre
09-18-2015, 12:39 PM
After the game last night, the real regret of the draft is that Steelers were not in a position to draft Marcus Peters.

I groaned out loud, when the Chiefs selected him.

http://www.thepointofpittsburgh.com/dinner-takes-all-meals-influence-the-2015-nfl-draft/

TeeTee
09-18-2015, 01:34 PM
89 Steelers 0-2 and blown out 92-10 combined score.
4-6 after 10 games.
Made the playoffs and came within a game of the AFC Championship game with Walter Brister at QB, Dwight "Hands of" Stone and Willis Hope " Weegie" Thompson at WR

But, since it's only one game:

http://s3.amazonaws.com/rapgenius/1377303517_tumblr_lgpfc1DfU01qeweuno1_500.jpg :chuckle:

Was 1989 the norm or the very, very rare exception?

86WARD
09-18-2015, 01:40 PM
On the legs of Merrill Hoge!!

hawaiiansteeler
09-18-2015, 01:47 PM
SF ain't the whimpering mess we thought they'd be. Bowman is back and is once again a monster.

and to think we passed on Bowman to select Jason Worilds instead...:frusty:

TeeTee
09-18-2015, 01:52 PM
On the legs of Merrill Hoge!!

"We gotta stop that Hoage."

"I think it's Hoge."

"I don't care what his name is, we gotta stop him."

- - - Updated - - -

Wow, I didn't realize that. Brilliant, Cool Shades.

teegre
09-18-2015, 02:16 PM

As much as I wanted one of the Penn State ILBs, they were set at ILB, with Farrior, Foote, and a young Timmons. Whereas, they needed an OLB badly.

It was a case of need trumping BAP.

polamalubeast
09-18-2015, 02:29 PM
As much as I wanted one of the Penn State ILBs, they were set at ILB, with Farrior, Foote, and a young Timmons. Whereas, they needed an OLB badly.

The steelers had James Harrison and Lamarr Woodley at this time.....And Farrior and Foote was old too...

teegre
09-18-2015, 02:34 PM
The steelers had James Harrison and Lamarr Woodley at this time.....And Farrior and Foote was old too...

The 3-4 is predicated on having strong OLBs. Routinely, they would draft an OLB and develop them behind the starters for two years. They already had Timmons in waiting behind Farrior, but had no young OLB behind Harrison.

Personally, I wanted NaVarro Bowman (over Sean Lee)... but, he wasn't even in the conversation. The Steelers were down to two names with that pick: Lee or Worilds. The above logic is why they chose Worilds (instead of Lee).

TeeTee
09-18-2015, 03:08 PM

OK, yes. But was Worilds the best option at OLB at that spot?

I looked it up, nothing jumped out at me, but I didn't spend very long on it.

- - - Updated - - -

The 3-4 is predicated on having strong OLBs. Routinely, they would draft an OLB and develop them behind the starters for two years. They already had Timmons in waiting behind Farrior, but had no young OLB behind Harrison.

Personally, I wanted NaVarro Bowman (over Sean Lee)... but, he wasn't even in the conversation. The Steelers were down to two names with that pick: Lee or Worilds. The above logic is why they chose Worilds (instead of Lee).

And it turns out Lee has been a chronic injury his entire career, so, can't really say passing on him was a mistake either.

86WARD
09-18-2015, 03:16 PM

Which the Steelers "never" do...

tube517
09-18-2015, 04:33 PM
Was 1989 the norm or the very, very rare exception?

Not the point of my post. I was adding on to Teegre's list.

SteelerFanInStl
09-18-2015, 04:40 PM

I remember when that pick happened. My first response was "who?". He shouldn't have been taken in the 2nd round. He didn't have enough productivity in college to warrant it.

teegre
09-18-2015, 05:15 PM

- - - Updated - - -

And it turns out Lee has been a chronic injury his entire career, so, can't really say passing on him was a mistake either.

I am a draft dork, and I remeber thinking in that draft: the OLB class is very weak. I would have passed on taking an OLB until R4. When Worilds was drafted, I was a little shocked, because like I said, I would have waited a few rounds.

Strangely enough, here is how bad that OLB class was: Worilds was rated by some (Mayock) as being the second best OLB in that draft. The draftkiks loved that pick... even though I didnt.

Summation:
According to the "experts", Worilds was not a bad pick in R2. Hindsight is always 20/20.

Re: Sean Lee
Who would have known that Sean Lee would be made of glass. I certainly couldn't have predicted that.