PDA

View Full Version : UPDATE: Leftwich out 2-4 weeks with torn MCL - Dixon might be the starter after all

zulater
09-02-2010, 07:29 PM
Leftiwich sustains knee injury in pre season finale. Looks like it could be bad. I guess charlie batch needn't worry about packing up his locker after all. :no:

polamalubeast
09-02-2010, 07:39 PM
Dixon will now have the chance to surprise the world as made Kurt Warner in 1999, if Leftwith is seriously hurt!

But I hope that Byron is not seriously hurt, it's always a terrible moment when you have a serious injury.

Steelman
09-02-2010, 07:44 PM
Dang I wanna watch the game!

If it's his knee...hasn't he had several knee problems before?

The Duke
09-02-2010, 07:47 PM
Dang I wanna watch the game!

If it's his knee...hasn't he had several knee problems before?

yep :(

zulater
09-02-2010, 07:52 PM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_697700.html

Steelers Byron Leftwich, who is expected to start while Ben Roethlisberger serves a likely four-game suspension, has left tonight's game against the Panthers after hurting his left knee.

He will not return after completing 2 of 4 passes for passes for 43 yards.

After completing an 18-yard pass to wide receiver Emmanuel Sanders five minutes into the second quarter, Leftwich got up limping. He then knelt on one knee, prompting the Steelers to take him out of the game.

He has gone into the Steelers locker room though he walked there under his own power. Dennis Dixon replaced Leftwich and threw a 23-yard touchdown pass to Sanders.

Charlie Batch replaced Dixon after the latter finished the drive that Leftwich had started.

Roethlisberger started the game tonight and went 4-for-6 for 39 yards.

venom
09-02-2010, 08:05 PM
Ugh ! Atleast he walked off on his own power . Get ready Dixon !!!

cold-hard-steel
09-02-2010, 08:05 PM
Here comes Charlie !

Nadroj 20
09-02-2010, 08:18 PM
I hope he is ok....but walking off on his own power doesnt mean anything. A friend of mine tore his ACL in a game last year and he was jogging on the sideline (before they knew how bad the injury was ) hoping to go back in the game. Now I'm not saying I think he has a torn ACL im just reminding everyone just because he can walk doesnt mean anything.

Psycho Ward 86
09-02-2010, 08:22 PM
With how immobile Leftwich is, it's not like he needs knees anyways :chuckle:

Too soon?

cold-hard-steel
Thats just another reason why we need Charlie around. I,m not ready to throw the towel in against him.He can hand-off all he wants to.I know he can throw it too!

Nadroj 20

Too soon?

:chuckle:

Nah your good.

zulater
09-02-2010, 08:27 PM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10245/1084650-100.stm

Steelers quarterback Byron Leftwich taken to hospital
Thursday, September 02, 2010
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Steelers quarterback Byron Leftwich was taken to a hospital tonight after an injury to his left knee in the second quarter of their game against Carolina at Heinz Field.

Leftwich was to undergo an MRI on the knee to determine the extent of the injury.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10245/1084650-100.stm#ixzz0yQRyz82M

cold-hard-steel
09-02-2010, 08:28 PM
Maybe dwyer isn't the creampuff i thought he was.

cold-hard-steel
09-02-2010, 08:33 PM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10245/1084650-100.stm

Steelers quarterback Byron Leftwich taken to hospital
Thursday, September 02, 2010
Steelers quarterback Byron Leftwich was taken to a hospital tonight after an injury to his left knee in the second quarter of their game against Carolina at Heinz Field.

Leftwich was to undergo an MRI on the knee to determine the extent of the injury.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10245/1084650-100.stm#ixzz0yQRyz82M

I'm sure it's for precautionary purposes only.Good to be sure.

cold-hard-steel
09-02-2010, 09:00 PM
Leftiwich sustains knee injury in pre season finale. Looks like it could be bad. I guess charlie batch needn't worry about packing up his locker after all. :no:

Lotta people packed his bags for him.

BigBenFn7
09-02-2010, 09:09 PM
Don't forget that Leftwich played a little bit of a game on a broken leg once.

Psycho Ward 86
09-02-2010, 09:12 PM
Don't forget that Leftwich played a little bit of a game on a broken leg once.

I'll never forget that!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-jzYMSiNHQ

What a tough son of a bitch.

cold-hard-steel
09-02-2010, 09:13 PM
Dwyer is a keeper !!!

Nadroj 20
09-02-2010, 09:14 PM
EDIT: was going to post video of leftwich but pyscho beat me to it...so nevermind lol

cold-hard-steel
09-02-2010, 09:14 PM
It gets real after this game.

Nadroj 20
09-02-2010, 09:16 PM
Dwyer is a keeper !!!

What does that have to do with this thread?

Prouncey53
09-02-2010, 09:18 PM
Dixon get ready.. its meant to be

Crow-Magnon
09-02-2010, 09:20 PM
Man! Who would have thought there'd be all this QB controversy and drama after the end of last season?

Bad news for Byron. Getting injured in the last pre-seson game is a real bitch.

cold-hard-steel
09-02-2010, 09:22 PM
You may never understand Jordan
What does that have to do with this thread?

Nadroj 20
09-02-2010, 09:31 PM
You may never understand Jordan

Maybe not lol...thats fine :)

The Duke
09-02-2010, 09:34 PM
Man! Who would have thought there'd be all this QB controversy and drama after the end of last season?

Bad news for Byron. Getting injured in the last pre-seson game is a real bitch.

yep, for any player

All I wanted out of this game is no injuries, and our likely week 1 QB gets an injury

it sucks, but I'm sure dixon will step up to the challenge if needed

stillers4me
09-02-2010, 09:36 PM
From Twitter:
SteelersDigest (http://twitter.com/SteelersDigest)
Byron Leftwich was taken to a local hospital at halftime of the preseason finale to have his left knee examined.

Chidi29
09-02-2010, 09:45 PM
I hope he is ok....but walking off on his own power doesnt mean anything. A friend of mine tore his ACL in a game last year and he was jogging on the sideline (before they knew how bad the injury was ) hoping to go back in the game. Now I'm not saying I think he has a torn ACL im just reminding everyone just because he can walk doesnt mean anything.

This. I watched Arnold Harrison walk off the field, albeit limping, after tearing his ACL in 2008 against Carolina.

stillers4me
09-02-2010, 09:46 PM
Troy walked off on his own last year. :horror:

BlastFurnace
09-02-2010, 09:52 PM
An agency purporting to represent Steelers quarterback Byron Leftwich has posted on Twitter that Leftwich suffered a torn MCL on Thursday night in the preseason finale against the Panthers.

The Twitter page assigned to Pro Player Solutions links to a website that makes the entire thing seem legit. But as further proof of the flaws in Mike Wise's logic, we didn't take this one at face value, because it wasn't contained in a report from a tenured member of a respected media company.

Based on the PPS tweet, we have learned via a source with knowledge of the situation that Leftwich has damage to his MCL. The degree of the damage isn't known.

Still, the source added, "Whatever [the degree] is it seems to be serious."

The MCL is a rope-like ligament that, if not completely severed, often can heal with rest. Until the degree of Leftwich's injury is known, the duration of his absence will be uncertain.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/09/02/leftwich-has-mcl-damage/

steelerdude15
09-02-2010, 09:52 PM
Well I hope he's alright and its nothing serious.

zulater
09-02-2010, 09:56 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/09/02/leftwich-has-mcl-damage/

zulater
09-02-2010, 09:59 PM
At this point I'd say it would be surprising if isn't taking the snaps against the Falcons.

BigBenFn7
09-02-2010, 10:02 PM
Now the question is, if he's due to miss more than a week or two, do you offer him an injury settlement and grab another vet QB to back-up Dixon or do you ride it out with Dixon/Batch until Ben gets back?

Borski
09-02-2010, 10:04 PM
I'd go with Dixon/Batch

stillers4me
09-02-2010, 10:06 PM
I'd go with Dixon/Batch

I believe that's currantly that's the only choice we have. :wtf:

Nadroj 20
09-02-2010, 10:13 PM
Oh boy...this isnt the way I wanted Dixon to win the job, i dont like this at all.

polamalubeast
It would have Hines Ward, Troy Polamalu and James Harrison has asked Terry Brashawn out of retirement.

steeldevil
If Lefty is out a while I would give Jeff Garcia a call.

SteelerEmpire
09-02-2010, 10:15 PM
This is the same way Ben got his start... the rest is His-Story....

Nadroj 20
09-02-2010, 10:15 PM
Matt Leinart anyone?

I'm freaking kidding anyone that took that serious is crazy :chuckle:

stillers4me
09-02-2010, 10:17 PM
Matt Leinart anyone?

I'm freaking kidding anyone that took that serious is crazy :chuckle:
:buttkick:

BigBenFn7
09-02-2010, 10:18 PM
If Lefty is out a while I would give Jeff Garcia a call.

This is what I was thinking. This team has playoff potential and although I like Dixon and WANTED him to get the nod, there has to be a safety valve in place behind him. I think it's been stated time and time again that Batch is good for nothing more than a half or some mop-up duty, so we might need to reach out to someone.

SteelerEmpire
09-02-2010, 10:20 PM
If you look at his record, Batch has been pretty good WHEN HE STARTS... its open to debate when he doesn't start...

Merchant
09-02-2010, 10:51 PM
Thank god for our defense.

Galax Steeler
09-03-2010, 03:19 AM
If you look at his record, Batch has been pretty good WHEN HE STARTS... its open to debate when he doesn't start...

I don't think they let Batch throw enough last night to be starting this week it looks like Dixon if Leftwich dosen't make it back.

LLT
09-03-2010, 03:23 AM
Leftwich injured in Steelers victory
By Scott Brown, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Friday, September 3, 2010

Byron Leftwich, the presumptive starter at quarterback while Ben Roethlisberger serves a likely four-game suspension, played sparingly in the final Steelers' preseason game.

And that could be a major cause of concern for the Steelers.

Leftwich left the game early in the second quarter with a left knee injury and didn't return to the Steelers' 19-3 win against the Carolina Panthers at Heinz Field.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_697700.html

stillers4me
09-03-2010, 05:23 AM
Another twist in QB saga

Leftwich leaves game in 2nd quarter with left knee sprain, does not return
Friday, September 03, 2010
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/images/201009/dianasteelers090210_04_160.jpg
Peter Diana/Post-Gazette
Byron Leftwich leaves the field with the medical staff after his left knee was injured in the second quarter Thursday night at Heinz Field.

The unique situation confronting the Steelers at their quarterback position turned more somber Thursday night when Byron Leftwich departed the final preseason game for good in the second quarter with a sprained left knee.
Coach Mike Tomlin declined to speculate how long Leftwich might be out because he said he did not yet know the results of an MRI test on the quarterback. But others around the team did not think the news was good and that Leftwich would not be ready to play in the opener Sept. 12 against Atlanta or perhaps for several weeks.
"That's what we were getting," said Charlie Batch, who went from possibly not making the team to possibly its starting quarterback for the opener and beyond.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10246/1084745-66.stm#ixzz0yScWsGO2

stillers4me
09-03-2010, 05:27 AM
http://www.post-gazette.com/images4/cook-ron_50x50.jpg Ron Cook

Starting season with Batch is only answer
Leftwich injured, inexperienced Dixon leaves only one quarterback
Friday, September 03, 2010
By Ron Cook (http://www.post-gazette.com/search/archive.asp?cCat=87), Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
You are about to read a sentence that I never imagined in my wildest dreams that I would be writing this morning.
The starting quarterback for your Steelers in their opening game against the Atlanta Falcons a week from Sunday will be Charlie Batch.
Not Dennis Dixon.
Really.
No, Steelers coach Mike Tomlin didn't confide any state secrets in me Thursday night after the 19-3 exhibition win against the Carolina Panthers at Heinz Field. He was typically evasive about the team's messy quarterback situation, confirming only that presumptive replacement starter Byron Leftwich had a sprained left knee. That means Leftwich, who was injured in the second quarter, almost certainly won't play against the Falcons, maybe not in any of the four games that real starter Ben Roethlisberger is expected to miss because of his NFL-mandated suspension.
Going with Batch instead of Dixon merely makes the most sense.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10246/1084743-87.stm#ixzz0ySdvurj0

PalmerSteel
09-03-2010, 05:32 AM
never know. maybe this will help ben today get reduced to 3 games. not worried. we got dixon as 1, batch as 2, and dont forget we also got ward and el who got some experience at qb!

GoSlash27
09-03-2010, 05:50 AM
Going with Batch instead of Dixon merely makes the most sense.
Yeah, says Ron Cook...*roll eyes*
I think he's got it backwards. The inexperienced athletic playmaker is almost always the starter in these situations. The steady grizzled old vet is the one you bring in to close out games when things are in the crapper.
Backup requires a seasoned game manager with solid leadership. Here's why...

You're only going to pull your starter in 2 scenarios: 1) you have a comfortable lead and don't want to risk injuring/ wearing out your starter. 2) Your starter has been injured.
In the first scenario, your backup is handing the ball off and only occasionally passing. It is imperative that he not lose the game through mistakes. In the second scenario, he must step in, rally a stunned offense, and get them moving through leadership. In either case, Batch is the guy for the job.

GoSlash27
09-03-2010, 06:01 AM
never know. maybe this will help ben today get reduced to 3 games. not worried. we got dixon as 1, batch as 2, and dont forget we also got ward and el who got some experience at qb!

Hines Ward under center. I would love to be there for that, but I would hate for it to become necessary.

Steeldude
09-03-2010, 08:13 AM
i hope batch starts. i don't want kordell2 in the game as the QB.

Shoes
09-03-2010, 09:08 AM
Steelers' Leftwich out indefinitely with MCL tear

Quarterback Byron Leftwich has apparently torn the medial collateral ligament in his left knee all but knocking him out of the games the Steelers had planned to start him.
Leftwich left the Steelers' 19-3 win against the Panthers Thursday night early in the second quarter after another player rolled onto his lower leg.
An MRI confirmed the worst for the Steelers, who since the spring have been preparing Leftwich to start while Roethlisberger serves a likely four-game suspension at the start of the regular season.
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_697830.html

cold-hard-steel
09-03-2010, 09:17 AM
I think you could come up with a game plan with a way that involves both Batch,and Dixon.Well,i know i could concieve one. Whether Arians can or not,i don't know.Whups,sorry.i said Arians.

SteelerEmpire
09-03-2010, 09:18 AM
If Dixon or Batch goes down, We'll most likely bring in someone from the outside...? Who would that be ?

SteelerEmpire
09-03-2010, 09:24 AM
Steelers' Leftwich out indefinitely with MCL tear

Quarterback Byron Leftwich has apparently torn the medial collateral ligament in his left knee all but knocking him out of the games the Steelers had planned to start him.
Leftwich left the Steelers' 19-3 win against the Panthers Thursday night early in the second quarter after another player rolled onto his lower leg.
An MRI confirmed the worst for the Steelers, who since the spring have been preparing Leftwich to start while Roethlisberger serves a likely four-game suspension at the start of the regular season.
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_697830.html

Yea. It's basically official. Lefty will be out from 4-6 weeks... His management company just said it as well...

UDPATE II: Leftwich's management company tweeted that the quarterback tore his MCL. A torn MCL usually means 4-6 weeks of recovery. Thus, ironically, Leftwich will return around the time Roethlisberger returns.

LINK: http://nfl-facts-and-rumors.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22475988/24292074

cold-hard-steel
09-03-2010, 09:25 AM
good question. Probably Mark Malone.Just kidding.Good question.I've heard Garcias' name being tossed around.

atlsteelers
09-03-2010, 09:32 AM
i wonder if we keep leftwich on the roster or cut him? if its only 4 to 6 weeks do we still keep him around? i say cut him unless he is the longterm number 2 behind ben.

cold-hard-steel
09-03-2010, 09:33 AM
ARE needs to start taking some reps. If we can run the ball well enough,we don't even need a QB for 4 games,or 2,or 3.

Psycho Ward 86
09-03-2010, 09:59 AM
With Leftwich out, i'll be rooting for Dixon. A little voice in the back of my head wanted to see what he can do anyways. Ive got butterflies in my stomach...

Bluecoat96
09-03-2010, 10:02 AM
ARE needs to start taking some reps. If we can run the ball well enough,we don't even need a QB for 4 games,or 2,or 3.

Are you serious?:huh:

BigBenFn7
09-03-2010, 10:07 AM
Ed Bouchette was just on ESPN and he sounded like he thought Batch would be the start with Byron out. WTF?

cold-hard-steel
09-03-2010, 10:17 AM
Are you serious?:huh:

Well i'm kidding more than i am not.The whole thing is a mess.All the media says that the starting QB for us is out for 4-6 weeks.What i can't understand is that Tomlin never even named a starting QB.It's all speculation i imagine.Not for one minute did i expect Leftwich was brought here to start. I was under the assumption he was brought here to compete for the starting job.In my eyes he never won it anyway.Either way,i am more comfortable on opening day with the guy i chose anyway. Batch.

cold-hard-steel
09-03-2010, 10:22 AM
Well there ya go,Ben will be gone for 4 games. Now i say Batch gets his chance.

Nadroj 20
09-03-2010, 10:25 AM
Batch will get his chance to back-up Dixon. Unless Dixon screws up TERRIBLY, Batch continues to hold that clipboard.

O'Malley
09-03-2010, 10:28 AM

Too soon?

LMAO! Is it too soon to laugh too?

cold-hard-steel
09-03-2010, 10:29 AM
Batch will get his chance to back-up Dixon. Unless Dixon screws up TERRIBLY, Batch continues to hold that clipboard.

He looks good holding the clipboard,lay off him man! LOL He will look even better when he wins the opener at his own house.

cold-hard-steel
09-03-2010, 10:35 AM
Don't think i have anything against Dixon,except i don't believe he's ready yet.Opening day....come on.We need that game to set the tone.

polamalubeast
09-03-2010, 02:29 PM
All of a sudden, losing Ben Roethlisberger for a month isn't the Pittsburgh Steelers' only quarterback concern.

Byron Leftwich, expected to be the Steelers' starter while Roethlisberger is suspended for four games, sprained the medial collateral ligament in his left knee Thursday night and will miss two to four weeks, The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reported Friday, citing a source.

The Steelers haven't confirmed the extent of Leftwich's injury.

Leftwich, tuning up for his anticipated start against the Atlanta Falcons in the Sept. 12 season opener, injured the knee during the second quarter of the Steelers' preseason finale against the Carolina Panthers.

Leftwich's teammates sounded discouraged after the 19-3 victory. Backup quarterback Charlie Batch called it a "serious" injury, and Dennis Dixon -- now the likely starter in Pittsburgh's opener -- said he couldn't talk to Leftwich because doctors were so intensely working on the knee.

"It's an opportunity, I guess, but it's unfortunate for Byron for what he went through," said Dixon, who has started only one NFL game. "But this team has to continue to go forward. I know once he's going to come back, he's going to give us nothing but tremendous support."

read more

http://www.nfl.com/preseason/story/09000d5d81a38fd4/article/report-steelers-qb-leftwich-has-sprained-mcl-out-2-to-4-weeks?module=HP_headlines

HometownGal
09-03-2010, 08:37 PM
I think you could come up with a game plan with a way that involves both Batch,and Dixon.Well,i know i could concieve one. Whether Arians can or not,i don't know.Whups,sorry.i said Arians.

The only viable game plan for Charlie Batch (sorry) is to hand off the ball on every down. Hell - we could save a couple of million bucks a year and hire BoBo the Chimp to do that.

Though I'm not overly confident in either of our options at this point, I much prefer Dixon to Botch. At least he can throw a ball more than 10 yards and is somewhat accurate with his passes. I still just don't believe Dixon is ready - he needs more work with regard to getting over his fear of stepping up into the pocket and checking off on more than just 1 receiver before taking off running. As I've said several times now - opposing D's are going to figure him out pretty quickly as the Broncs D did.

I :pray: Byron is able to come back for at least Game 3 or 4. Get that knee healed up big guy!