PDA

View Full Version : Steelers' cornerback Boykin wondering when he'll take the field

vader29
09-14-2015, 04:54 PM
Cornerback Brandon Boykin believes he will play more on defense for the Steelers Sunday against the San Francisco 49ers at Heinz Field than he did Thursday night in New England.

Of course, if he plays one snap on defense, that would count as more.

“It’s the first time I can remember I never played” on defense, said Boykin, the Philadelphia Eagles’ No. 3 cornerback during his first three NFL seasons. “I’m sure they had a reason for that. I don’t know what it was. I’ll just take it in stride and go throughout the week and see what happens.”

The Steelers acquired Boykin from Philadelphia on Aug. 1 for a 2016 fifth-round pick to bolster their secondary and he reportedly was happy to leave the Eagles. According to the Philadelphia Inquirer, Boykin was displeased with his role as the third cornerback and was not a starter, saying it was “getting real old.’’

He played not at all on defense in his first game with the Steelers, despite the fact their secondary has been a weak spot. Antwon Blake and William Gay started at cornerback, and previoiusly demoted Cortez Allen entered when they used three. Boykin’s play was limited to special teams against New England. He said neither Mike Tomlin nor any assistant coach gave him an explanation.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2015/09/14/Steelers-cornerback-Boykin/stories/201509140162

steelreserve
09-14-2015, 05:32 PM
I was wondering that too. Seems we thought it was a better idea to cover the slot receiver with linebackers so we could get dinked and dunked to death.

Of course, against the 49ers would be the time when it might make sense to have more linebackers on the field with their QB's inaccuracy and tendency to scramble, so I'm sure we'll do the opposite of that.

tube517
09-14-2015, 05:34 PM
Will never understand why he never played last Thursday

stillers4me
09-14-2015, 05:34 PM

TD's & Beer
09-14-2015, 05:42 PM
Him and me both

- - - Updated - - -

Unfortunately I believe he'll be facing Anquan Boldin in the slot against San Fran

Just label our secondary "We are the smurfs"

86WARD
09-14-2015, 07:18 PM
Add me to the list...looks like the Eagles could use him this season.

ALLD
09-14-2015, 08:39 PM
Add me to the list...looks like the Eagles could use him this season.

Trade them Cortez Allen for anybody and throw in Archers and Landry Jones as a sweetener.

st33lersguy
09-14-2015, 08:50 PM
Poortez Allen starts and this guy sits, boggles my mind

katmandu
09-14-2015, 09:03 PM
Poortez Allen starts and this guy sits, boggles my mindAnyone hear from Coach Lake that past few months ?

I'd LOVE to hear his take on his unit.

st33lersguy
09-14-2015, 09:19 PM
Anyone hear from Coach Lake that past few months ?

I'd LOVE to hear his take on his unit.

I don't think Coach Lake is getting the job done. The unit is certainly not performing the way they should be under his coaching

Steeldude
09-14-2015, 11:23 PM
He needs to sit and learn for 3 years and then they can ease him in.

Yes, that is sarcasm.

salamander
09-15-2015, 05:58 AM
To me it's just another case of the Steelers blind loyalty to certain players and not allowing new guys (who are most likely better) to play unless someone gets hurt.

Steelman
09-15-2015, 09:08 AM
To me it's just another case of the Steelers blind loyalty to certain players and not allowing new guys (who are most likely better) to play unless someone gets hurt.

So maybe it wasn't just Ol' Dick's stubbornness. :scratchchin:

Personally I think they're scared about escalating the draft pick, which is dumb on so many levels but it wouldn't surprise me. Unless he's doing his best Mike Mitchell, there's no other reason that he shouldn't have at least seen some late action against Edelman.

Psycho Ward 86
09-15-2015, 02:33 PM
So maybe it wasn't just Ol' Dick's stubbornness. :scratchchin:

Personally I think they're scared about escalating the draft pick, which is dumb on so many levels but it wouldn't surprise me. Unless he's doing his best Mike Mitchell, there's no other reason that he shouldn't have at least seen some late action against Edelman.

theres no way they would risk that over a draft pick thats one round higher. the order of priorities makes no sense

hawaiiansteeler
09-15-2015, 05:08 PM
theres no way they would risk that over a draft pick thats one round higher. the order of priorities makes no sense

I agree, Tomlin is not going to worry about whether a draft pick will become a 4th or a 5th rounder next year when it comes to winning a game this Sunday...

teegre
09-17-2015, 10:13 AM
Just heard that Boykin has been dealing with a groin injury... which might explain things.

steel striker
09-17-2015, 11:50 AM
I hope Boykin is able to play Sunday and, let's see how he does.

Count Steeler
09-17-2015, 02:58 PM
Just heard that Boykin has been dealing with a groin injury... which might explain things.

Well there is a little nugget of information that would be useful. How likely is this to be true?

SteelerFanInStl
09-17-2015, 03:23 PM
Seems strange that Boykin himself didn't know about this injury.

Rotorhead
09-17-2015, 04:10 PM
Apparently he didnt practice again today, probably doubtful for the SF game. I guess it would be best to get him 100% instead of a lingering groin injury all year. Lets hope the communication issues and assignments are better understood this game!

TeeTee
09-17-2015, 04:18 PM
He needs to sit and learn for 3 years and then they can ease him in.

Yes, that is sarcasm.

Sarcasm with painful sprinkles of truth mixed in to boot.

teegre
09-17-2015, 05:28 PM
Well there is a little nugget of information that would be useful. How likely is this to be true?

He had an MRI today.

Ugh.

tube517
09-17-2015, 05:41 PM
What's up with the Steelers secondary and groin injuries?

What do they have them (Mitchell, Cortez, and Boykin) block Deebo with their groins during training camp?

hawaiiansteeler
09-17-2015, 06:44 PM
looks like the top 3 Steelers CBs this Sunday are going to be Willie Gay, Antwon Blake and Ross Cockrell...

TD's & Beer
09-17-2015, 06:45 PM
looks like the top 3 Steelers CBs this Sunday are going to be Willie Gay, Antwon Blake and Ross Cockrell...

Where did you get that from?

hawaiiansteeler
09-17-2015, 06:50 PM
Where did you get that from?

per Dale Lolley:

www.nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com

TD's & Beer
09-17-2015, 06:52 PM
per Dale Lolley:

www.nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com (http://www.nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com)

Thanks

That's news to me

Boykin was sidelined by a groin injury today, joining Cortez Allen (knee) on the sidelines.

That left Will Gay, Antwon Blake and newcomer Ross Cockrell as the Steelers' top three corners

hawaiiansteeler
09-17-2015, 07:08 PM
Thanks

That's news to me

Boykin was sidelined by a groin injury today, joining Cortez Allen (knee) on the sidelines.

That left Will Gay, Antwon Blake and newcomer Ross Cockrell as the Steelers' top three corners

you're welcome.

guess we'll get our first look at Cockrell in a Steelers uniform...

katmandu
09-17-2015, 07:28 PM
Thanks

That's news to me

Who's left for backups ?

Sent from my VK810 4G using Tapatalk

st33lersguy
09-17-2015, 08:09 PM
Ugh, looks like the Steelers have gotten hit by the injury bug

hawaiiansteeler
09-17-2015, 09:14 PM
Who's left for backups ?

if Cortez and Boykin can't play, the Steelers might have to activate Doran Grant from the practice squad...

86WARD
09-17-2015, 09:17 PM
So that's great news...the worse get worser...lol.

Drazo85
09-18-2015, 12:49 AM
Maybe something good comes out of this injuries. I mean Cortez not playing can't be that bad.
I'm convinced that Steelers are not playing Boykin cause of the pick. They're keeping the 4th rounder, and this week they telled him that. So all of a sudden he has a nagging groin injury he didn't know about last week. I know it sounds stupid, but stranger things had happened with this organisation.

katmandu
09-18-2015, 01:01 AM
Maybe something good comes out of this injuries. I mean Cortez not playing can't be that bad.
I'm convinced that Steelers are not playing Boykin cause of the pick. They're keeping the 4th rounder, and this week they telled him that. So all of a sudden he has a nagging groin injury he didn't know about last week. I know it sounds stupid, but stranger things had happened with this organisation.Very well could be. How many games does he need to play for them to lose that 4th round pick ?

Drazo85
09-18-2015, 01:06 AM
Very well could be. How many games does he need to play for them to lose that 4th round pick ?
60% of all defensive snaps. 4 whole games for sure, and then occasional rest here and there. It would be tough to keep him of the field for that long , but it might get us a lower price for resigning him in the ofseason.

SteeleReign
09-18-2015, 07:25 AM
Yeah, let's sacrifice wins to keep a 4th round pick. Ludicrous if true.

Honest to God, if the coaches kept Boykin on the bench, while our headless chickens were running around trying to find Gronk, just to preserve a draft pick....wow....just....wow

Mojouw
09-18-2015, 09:42 AM
I love how everyone slammed the coaches for being too stupid to play Boykin last game. Then when we get all the information, or as much as we are ever going to get, turns out Boykin was too hurt to play. Likely only got a hat in an emergency capacity.

We need to remember that despite what we may think or feel, the coaching staff is comprised of individuals who are the best of their profession. There are only so many NFL jobs to go around - simply having one means you are pretty good at what you do.

SteelerFanInStl
09-18-2015, 10:04 AM
Boykin is injured now. I have yet to see anything that says he was injured at the time of game 1. If he were injured, he wouldn't have been active. Boykin himself didn't know anything about an injury at that time so I think I'll side with him.

Rotorhead
09-18-2015, 10:05 AM
I hope he (Boykin) is ready to go for this weekend, but if he has to rest this game to be 100%, then rest him one more week IMO. Would rather have him 100% for the rest of the season over aggravating the injury week in and week out.

SteeleReign
09-18-2015, 12:02 PM
I love how everyone slammed the coaches for being too stupid to play Boykin last game. Then when we get all the information, or as much as we are ever going to get, turns out Boykin was too hurt to play. Likely only got a hat in an emergency capacity.

We need to remember that despite what we may think or feel, the coaching staff is comprised of individuals who are the best of their profession. There are only so many NFL jobs to go around - simply having one means you are pretty good at what you do.

Do we have any quote suggesting he was hurt last week? I highly doubt that Boykin would have played stupid about why he didn't play last week if it was related to injury.

86WARD
09-18-2015, 01:45 PM
Boykin is injured now. I have yet to see anything that says he was injured at the time of game 1. If he were injured, he wouldn't have been active. Boykin himself didn't know anything about an injury at that time so I think I'll side with him.

This. I bashed the coaches and my first thought was...oh, maybe he was injured last week, that explains it. But he was dressed and active...and the injury "popped" up yesterday?

I'll be the first to apologize for questioning them if he was injured last week...

teegre
09-18-2015, 02:28 PM
My thoughts/deductions:

Boykin was hurt. Whether the coaches knew it or not, he was hurt.

BUTLER: Boykin is playing like shit in practice.
LAKE: Damn, I thought that Boykin was going help the secondary.
BUTLER: Yep, it's like he is not even running at full speed.

...one week later...

LAKE: Oh, when he was pointing at his groin, it was an injury.
BUTLER: Yeah, I thought that it was a sack dance.
LAKE: Sack... groin... balls... giggity!!!
BUTLER: snicker, snort!!!

Mojouw
09-18-2015, 03:51 PM
For all we know he hurt in warmups. Then was held out of the game.

That would explain the active part, the lack of snaps, and the misscommunications and substitution problems.

It is almost like an explanation that best fits the available evidence...But we will never know because some of Boykin's own comments are less than clear about when he was injured.

SteelerFanInStl
09-18-2015, 04:32 PM
The simple fact that Boykin himself didn't know why he didn't play tells me that he wasn't injured at game time.

I guess that it's possible that he was trying to hide it but that doesn't seem very likely to me.

teegre
09-18-2015, 05:10 PM
The simple fact that Boykin himself didn't know why he didn't play tells me that he wasn't injured at game time.

I guess that it's possible that he was trying to hide it but that doesn't seem very likely to me.

Players lie all of the time about injuries.

Chris Carter was once on an IV drip, up until he left for the stadium (on game day), and he never told anyone.

I still say that my above scenario (minus the sophomoric humor) was essentially what transpired. Boykin was playing like shit (due to the injury) and didn't want to reveal it.

vader29
09-18-2015, 05:26 PM
For all we know he hurt in warmups. Then was held out of the game.

That would explain the active part, the lack of snaps, and the misscommunications and substitution problems.

It is almost like an explanation that best fits the available evidence...But we will never know because some of Boykin's own comments are less than clear about when he was injured.

I thought from the reports on twitter that he got injured sometime in practice this week, he did play on special teams last Thursday night.

SteelerFanInStl
09-18-2015, 06:51 PM
I thought from the reports on twitter that he got injured sometime in practice this week, he did play on special teams last Thursday night.

That's what I believe. The injury happened this week.

MrPgh
09-18-2015, 07:34 PM

This reeks of excuse-making on behalf of the coaching staff.

zulater
09-18-2015, 07:40 PM
Ugh, looks like the Steelers have gotten hit by the injury bug

No. More like the don't have an effing clue how to address the secondary bug. Every team gets injuries. The fact the Steelers are stuck with their entire secondary being made up of players that would have trouble making the practice squad on 31 other teams is 100% self inflicted. Think about it. Our top corner is journeyman William Gay. A guy most teams would have no interest in if he were a free agent. :frusty:

tube517
09-18-2015, 08:43 PM
No. More like the don't have an effing clue how to address the secondary bug. Every team gets injuries. The fact the Steelers are stuck with their entire secondary being made up of players that would have trouble making the practice squad on 31 other teams is 100% self inflicted. Think about it. Our top corner is journeyman William Gay. A guy most teams Outside of Arizona and Tennessee would have no interest in if he were a free agent. :frusty:

Fixed :chuckle:

Count Steeler
09-20-2015, 09:56 AM
I think groin pulls and hammys are on the conditioning crew. STRECTCH, gentlemen, stretch!!!

zulater
09-20-2015, 11:06 AM

Boykin's injury doesn't excuse the state of our secondary. It's not even close to NFL caliber. We don't have one cb who would be in any other teams top 3. Yeah Gay is ok. But he's a guy you could release tommorow and 25 teams wouldn't even take a look. Our secondary is a disgrace. If you want to divorce the coaching staff from having any hand in that that's fine. But I'm not putting on those blinders. You can't look away from the tire fire and pretend it's not happening in your backyard then when it gets to your back porch act as though your a bewildered victim.

Shoes
09-20-2015, 11:40 AM
Boykin's injury doesn't excuse the state of our secondary. It's not even close to NFL caliber. We don't have one cb who would be in any other teams top 3. Yeah Gay is ok. But he's a guy you could release tommorow and 25 teams wouldn't even take a look. Our secondary is a disgrace. If you want to divorce the coaching staff from having any hand in that that's fine. But I'm not putting on those blinders. You can't look away from the tire fire and pretend it's not happening in your backyard then when it gets to your back porch act as though your a bewildered victim.

Well said, Zu!

86WARD
09-20-2015, 11:44 AM
That's all Gay is...okay. He's not a starting caliber CB in this league IMO. He's a good slot corner, but he's being misused IMO.

Mojouw
09-20-2015, 03:28 PM

In this particular case, the issue was why Boykin did not play. Prior to the news of his injury emerging, almost everyone was taking the position that the defensive coaching staff was too stupid to continue living and that any idiot could see that Boykin should have played on Thursday against the Pats. There is now a chain of logic and information that supports a position that there were very good reason(s) for Boykin not playing against the Patriots. That was all I was responding to. Nothing more. The structure and deficiencies in the secondary is an entirely separate discussion.

- - - Updated - - -

That's all Gay is...okay. He's not a starting caliber CB in this league IMO. He's a good slot corner, but he's being misused IMO.

So if Gay is not starting caliber and should be restricted to playing slot corner, how is Boykin the savior? Boykin is basically William Gay 2.0.

Eagles traded him because Boykin wants to play outside and the Eagles felt he was only a slot corner.

SteelerFanInStl
09-20-2015, 03:33 PM
In this particular case, the issue was why Boykin did not play. Prior to the news of his injury emerging, almost everyone was taking the position that the defensive coaching staff was too stupid to continue living and that any idiot could see that Boykin should have played on Thursday against the Pats. There is now a chain of logic and information that supports a position that there were very good reason(s) for Boykin not playing against the Patriots. That was all I was responding to. Nothing more. The structure and deficiencies in the secondary is an entirely separate discussion.

- - - Updated - - -

So if Gay is not starting caliber and should be restricted to playing slot corner, how is Boykin the savior? Boykin is basically William Gay 2.0.

Eagles traded him because Boykin wants to play outside and the Eagles felt he was only a slot corner.
I disagree. The is no information that the injury happened before the NE game.

Count Steeler
09-20-2015, 03:35 PM
Boykin played today and broke up a TD pass. Is he injured or not?

Psycho Ward 86
09-20-2015, 03:36 PM
Boykin saved a TD today. Closing speed looked just fine to me

zulater
09-20-2015, 03:44 PM
Boykin played today and broke up a TD pass. Is he injured or not?

Looked good to me.

SteelerFanInStl
09-20-2015, 05:32 PM
Looked good to me.
Me too. Good play in the end zone to save a TD.

86WARD
09-20-2015, 05:53 PM

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not saying Boykin is the answer. But we know Gay is not. Boykin was in line for a starting job in Philadelphia before they traded him so I don't think we actually know if Boykin is or isn't ready to be a starting CB. We know that Gay is better for this team, historically, in the slot.

Count Steeler
09-20-2015, 05:55 PM
Eagles traded him away, but the Steelers took him. So did our coaches/GM bring in a CB for the secondary that they knew would ride the pines? I think not.

Mojouw
09-20-2015, 07:03 PM
I'm not saying Boykin is the answer. But we know Gay is not. Boykin was in line for a starting job in Philadelphia before they traded him so I don't think we actually know if Boykin is or isn't ready to be a starting CB. We know that Gay is better for this team, historically, in the slot.

Boykin was not in line for a starting spot in Philly. They totally remade their entire DB corps and choose to not really include Boykin as a starter and since they traded him, as a significant sub package player.

We can not pretend that Boykin is going to be some sort of magic answer in the secondary. Can he be part of the answer? Of course. But this is not a unit that is going to get significantly better this season. They need 2 more corners and at least one more safety before the secondary is not a total mess.

86WARD
09-20-2015, 09:12 PM
He totally was in line to compete for a starting job. Kelly wasn't keen on his height, but he told Boykin he would get a shot to compete and then they signed Maxwell. You don't know he's not a starter if he doesn't get a chance. I won't pretend like he's the savior out there, but we know what He did in Philadelphia and it wasn't terrible...it was better than what Blake and Allen have done. But if you don't play him, you won't know if he is or isn't the "magic answer."

I also tend to believe that they need to sign two starters...hence the reason I wanted Maxwell all off season but you won't know what you have in Boykin if you don't play him.

Rotorhead
09-20-2015, 10:11 PM
He is probably happy he is not part of that shithouse fire that is Philly right about now.

86WARD
09-21-2015, 05:49 AM
He is probably happy he is not part of that shithouse fire that is Philly right about now.

So is DeSean Jackson, Jeremy Maclin, LeSean McCoy, Nick Foles and I forget who else...lol. It's only two weeks...the Patriots looked terrible last season after two weeks and look what they did. Remember they were calling for Tom Brady's head at this time last year...lol.

Mojouw
09-21-2015, 10:45 AM
He totally was in line to compete for a starting job. Kelly wasn't keen on his height, but he told Boykin he would get a shot to compete and then they signed Maxwell. You don't know he's not a starter if he doesn't get a chance. I won't pretend like he's the savior out there, but we know what He did in Philadelphia and it wasn't terrible...it was better than what Blake and Allen have done. But if you don't play him, you won't know if he is or isn't the "magic answer."

I also tend to believe that they need to sign two starters...hence the reason I wanted Maxwell all off season but you won't know what you have in Boykin if you don't play him.

I honestly believe that Kelly was never going to play Boykin as anymore than the slot corner. He wants big tall Dbs starting. But that doesn't really matter, because he is here now.

All I really have left to say on the matter is that I have read from multiple sources that Boykin has so far been too damn dumb to pick up the system properly and continues to disappoint by making mental mistakes. Additionally, I still believe his groin injury occurred earlier than last Wednesday. If there is a standard that each player needs to demonstrate in meeting rooms, film study, and the practice field prior to them being given significant playing time - then you can't bend it, even for a player at a "need" position. Doing otherwise would be the bad coaching that is so often alleged.