PDA

View Full Version : Jumping Back from Some Conclusions

Mojouw
09-13-2015, 04:17 PM
It appears a lot of what we all thought after Thursday night's game was not the case at all.

1. Harrison played the most of any of the outside backers - http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/09/james-harrison-topped-steelers-olbs-in-snap-count-against-patriots/. So he basically is one of the two primary outside rush linebackers.

2. The Steelers neither played cover-2 or off coverages for most of the night. This may explain the absence of Boykin and exposes the inability of the DBs to effectively play up at the line - http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/09/steelers-film-room-patriots-pick-routes/

3. The Steelers are clearly still unsettled on their nickel and dime personnel. In particular the lack of depth at safety is going to continue to be a major problem. No one wants to see Bud Dupree attempting to cover TEs down the seam all season.

This is what I came up with. But I think things are not as bad as they might initially seem. If the problems continue - then it will be time to worry.

86WARD
09-13-2015, 08:52 PM
I agree that things aren't as bad as they seem, but he back end of the defense may be worse than what we thought...

I thought the Steelers would do a lot worse than they did on Thursday...but does that mean they are better or are the Patriots worse? I think it's a little combination of both...

teegre
09-13-2015, 09:23 PM
Good thread

Rotorhead
09-13-2015, 09:24 PM
Honestly if you take away the confusion and mental breakdowns, we played like the first game of the season with a new DC and a lot of new players. Fix the mental errors and we will be fine.

Psycho Ward 86
09-13-2015, 09:29 PM
Brandon Boykin needs to play regardless of the type of coverage and regardless of whether he's playing inside or out.

0 snaps in the first game is just inexcusable for a guy that talented

Mojouw
09-13-2015, 09:57 PM
Brandon Boykin needs to play regardless of the type of coverage and regardless of whether he's playing inside or out.

I agree. But we don't yet know what we don't know. Did Boykin not play because of a coaching choice or because he has been below the line in practice or meeting rooms.

hawaiiansteeler
09-13-2015, 10:05 PM

the reasoning why Boykin supposedly didn't play is because he doesn't understand our defense yet.

it can be argued that neither did the guys that were out there for us...

teegre
09-13-2015, 10:09 PM
Interesting that Boykin is seen as some sort of panacea.

Do I think he "could" be better than the CBs above him? Yes. But, I certainly don't expect his insertion into the lineup to take this secondary from bad to stellar.

Psycho Ward 86
09-13-2015, 10:20 PM
I agree. But we don't yet know what we don't know. Did Boykin not play because of a coaching choice or because he has been below the line in practice or meeting rooms.

keith butler seems to have said many times that he has simplified the defense so that people could play faster. if rookies like bud dupree are playing as many snaps as they are in game 1, i expect a veteran like brandon boykin to at least have the same opportunity, even if they just got on the team a few weeks ago. Especially when Boykin seems to have no substantial weakness based on past articles on Steelers Depot

Radio problems aside, it didnt feel like we adjusted during the 2nd half at all. That out route to Julian Edelman for example was just money with Blake getting embarrassed in man coverage many of those times. Shouldnt have been any schematic difficulties in plugging Boykin in on those situations.

Its bad enough that we had Gronk completely uncovered and only 10 guys on the field for one of the TD's allowed. Also bad that we had a fairly slow LB like Moats covering him 1 on 1 on another TD. Equally bad that we had a rookie like Dupree being used to cover him on that 50+ yard reception with no safety help to his side.

But Edelman was just as big of a reason for us losing as well. At least Gronk is so good that he's only a guy you can expect to slow down and not stop in the best case scenario. Edelman for as quick as he is was a much more doable assignment that handled us when using Boykin probably could have made things better

smokin3000gt
09-13-2015, 10:34 PM

I think that if he didn't take a snap there was a good reason for it. We have to put some faith the people that watch them play way more than we do.

Psycho Ward 86
09-13-2015, 11:09 PM
I think that if he didn't take a snap there was a good reason for it. We have to put some faith the people that watch them play way more than we do.

such as what? i listed reasons why i didnt thinkt here were good reasons for him not being on the field, i see nothing to change my mind

smokin3000gt
09-13-2015, 11:16 PM
I haven't seen him play so I can't say for sure but I imagine if he was doing well at practice they would have at least given him a shot.

86WARD
09-14-2015, 04:08 AM
Boykin and Gay are two of the better slot corners in the league...the fact that neither was actually playing the slot and one didn't play at all is a little bit unwise to me. Even if Boykin had no clue what was going on out there, it wasn't like the others did..like I said before...totally reminds me of the Lance Moore situation with Justin Brown...

TeeTee
09-14-2015, 02:25 PM
the reasoning why Boykin supposedly didn't play is because he doesn't understand our defense yet.

it can be argued that neither did the guys that were out there for us...

ZOINK!