PDA

View Full Version : Steelers film session: Cover 2 opportunities limited against Patriots

stillers4me
09-13-2015, 07:22 AM
One of the biggest talking points surrounding the Steelers this preseason was a purported shift toward more of a Cover 2 defensive philosophy.

Well, for the opener, at least, it was just talk. Likely in a nod to the over-the-middle matchup nightmare that is New England tight end Rob Gronkowski, the Steelers rarely utilized Cover 2 against the Patriots on Thursday.

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/9081016-74/steelers-tight-cover#ixzz3lcXsdBVH

BigNastyDefense
09-13-2015, 08:24 AM
And it didn't matter. We still couldn't cover him. What happened to us Thursday night is what I have termed "Getting Gronked," where you have no answer for the dominant Patriots tight end and he just does with you as he wishes.

I wish the Steelers would have just stuck Ryan Shazier on him. Shazier is fast enough to keep up with him, and is big enough that he can at least fight for the ball while it's in the air against Gronk. I mean, it's not like the results could have been any worse seeing how 3 of his 5 catches went for touchdowns.

hawaiiansteeler
09-15-2015, 04:19 PM
looked more like Butler installed the "Cover Who" defense to me...:noidea: