PDA

View Full Version : Jarvis Jones Comes Alive !

katmandu
09-12-2015, 03:09 PM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/09/steelers-film-room-consistency-from-lb-jarvis-jones-against-the-patriots/

I've been pulling for him.

Great to see him finally wake up and do some damage!

His wrist must be fully healed by now and now he's able to use his new found strength.

You go Jarvis ! Keep it up !

BTW, folks really underestimated just how much that wrist injury set his progression backwards. The wrist is a weight bearing joint and takes a lot of abuse. If you've ever sprained your wrist you know exactly what I'm talking about.

I sprained a wrist lifting (3) months ago and I can only just now lift about 75% of my max. Jarvis's wrist was dislocated and required surgery, so his recovery took over a year.

steelerdude15
09-12-2015, 04:40 PM
Jarvis did some nice things in the game Thursday. He was able to use his bull rush and push the tackle back a couple of times. His tackle on Dion Lewis was really nice. What sucks is that his wrist injury only hampered his growth and development.

86WARD
09-12-2015, 04:45 PM
We can only hope it goes up from here...

Craic
09-12-2015, 09:48 PM
I seriously have to ask... why does this surprise anyone? If you look at his trajectory from his first year, to the beginning of last year before his injury, to now, it's a pretty smooth transition. The end of last year simply is a wash because coming back from a broken wrist means muscle atrophy among other things. I was also happy to note his drawn penalty. It was a penalty that comes after you work someone and get a bit into their mind. I loved it. Funny thing, I wasn't necessarily happy with this pick in the beginning.

86WARD
09-13-2015, 08:25 AM
I think most of the criticism comes from his alleged "poor work ethic." Combine that with the injuries and the fact that he doesn't instantly light the world on fire and all of a sudden you have:

http://mgoblog.com/sites/mgoblog.com/files/images/Band-To-Dallas-Brandon-On-Jerryworld-Dol_BD2D/TorchGang_thumb.jpg

If he had a work ethic like James Harrison, the criticism may not be so much...I think, for me at least, this year is the year where we find out if hes worth it or not...

Mojouw
09-13-2015, 10:36 AM
Dupree got a sack in game one of his rookie year. Jarvis is looking better but will likely never produce at the level of a first round pick. Unless he starts putting up 9-12 sack campaigns he is a "bust" in terms of draft position.

I think ink the work ethic criticism was more of a message board thing than a real thing. If jones was a 2nd or 3rd round pick I would be his biggest fan. But he wasn't. And I am not.

Devilsdancefloor
09-13-2015, 10:45 AM
im pulling for him to have a hell of a year if not for him for all the people saying he is a bust he is no tim worley

KillerBs
09-13-2015, 11:18 AM
Dunno out of those 4 plays I only saw 1 that I would expect from a 3 rd year player. On the RB tackle Solder was not properly lined up and Jones caught him midway shifting his feet. On the second bullrush he was easily pushed all the way out of harms way. This is a highlight of 4 plays out of 24.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Steelersfan
09-13-2015, 01:10 PM
You guys know this, I don't have to say it, BUT those that throw in "#1 draft pick" with their own analysis of Jones or any other player aren't very knowledgeable at player evaluation. Some #1 picks suck, some UDFAs are superstars, who the hell cares where a player is drafted and how he turns out? No correlation! It doesn't matter if a player was drafted 1st pick, 1st round or if he was brought over from the CFL 4yrs after leaving college. Some make it some don't. A draft pick position is just an "order" for taking players from a pool of eligible kids.

We as fans see games. We see a "situation and/or a set of circumstances. That's what a game is. Who's he going up against??? What techniques are being used to neutralize him? How good (what level) is his opposition??? What techniques does he excel to counter Jarvis's particular techniques??? Etc., Etc. !!!
A game is a set of circumstances.

What we don't see is his training at the facility and in practice. His training regimen is prescribed, his opposition is (for this discussion) usually the same players (Scout team, O-lineman, etc.) from the start of OTA's, thru Training Camp, & during the seasons practices. Not situational, but scripted, prescribed, regimented, whatever word you what to use to describe it.

We as fans don't see it, we don't read it cause usually it not broadcast by the team, coaches etc. But how a team judges a player, rates a player, is by his progress in practice. Sure game tape is used and analyzed, but practice is where you can rate on a consistent curve.

Is Jarvis ascending??? Is he descending??? Or has he plateaued??? In practice against the same (more or less) set of circumstances and conditions. That's the only fair way to evaluate your players. You don't evaluate on his draft status. All draft status has to do with is the payroll department. A coaches evaluation couldn't care cares less, where a player came from, or how he got selected to be on the team.

Is this player better today than he was yesterday? Is he rising or falling?

Jarvis must be progressing in their eyes, cause he's still with the team. Can't say that about alot of players from Troy down to guys like Holliman. Apparently those guys weren't ascending.

touchdownward
09-13-2015, 01:11 PM
As an avid UGA fan, watching Jarvis live and on TV, I was elated with the pick. I too have been quietly waiting for him to start showing what I saw at Georgia. The dude was a beast with the Dawgs and a game changer. Also a leader on defense. Hope that what we saw the other night continues to grow. I still feel before it is all said and done that his detractors will be glad we got him.

I'll now put down my red and black pom poms. :p

hawaiiansteeler
09-13-2015, 01:31 PM
As an avid UGA fan, watching Jarvis live and on TV, I was elated with the pick. I too have been quietly waiting for him to start showing what I saw at Georgia. The dude was a beast with the Dawgs and a game changer. Also a leader on defense. Hope that what we saw the other night continues to grow. I still feel before it is all said and done that his detractors will be glad we got him.

I'll now put down my red and black pom poms. :p

it's okay, GO BULLDOGS!!

http://cdn2-b.examiner.com/sites/default/files/styles/image_content_width/hash/95/93/9593407e7038dbb1f12f4063bacd853e.jpg?itok=iAYDWFNm http://cdn2-b.examiner.com/sites/default/files/styles/image_content_width/hash/ec/9f/ec9feeb628814f525ac1ac9282830db3.jpg?itok=PSPAKbj_

hawaiiansteeler
09-13-2015, 03:03 PM
http://i.imgur.com/f7dxqA1.gif

Mojouw
09-13-2015, 03:16 PM
It is reasonable to look at where Jones was drafted. I've posted this before, but other 3-4 OLBs drafted at similar spots in the draft have almost universally produced FAR better over the first three years of their careers than Jones has. Look up anyone you want on pro football reference. Clay Matthews, Von Miller, Aldon Smith, Demarcus Ware, etc. if you take an edge rusher in the first round of the draft he should be able to beat LTs consistently at the NFL level. Jones has yet to demonstrate that he can do that.

To date Jones has all the hallmarks of a great college player and a below average pro. Not good enough for #17 overall. Remember many pre draft reports raised serious questions about Jones strength and athleticism for the pro level.

hawaiiansteeler
09-13-2015, 04:09 PM
It is reasonable to look at where Jones was drafted. I've posted this before, but other 3-4 OLBs drafted at similar spots in the draft have almost universally produced FAR better over the first three years of their careers than Jones has. Look up anyone you want on pro football reference. Clay Matthews, Von Miller, Aldon Smith, Demarcus Ware, etc. if you take an edge rusher in the first round of the draft he should be able to beat LTs consistently at the NFL level.

not necessarily true, just look at the 3 DE/OLBs taken ahead of Jarvis Jones in the 2013 NFL Draft:

1(3) Dion Jordan Miami
1(5) Ziggy Ansah Detroit
1(6) Barkevious Mingo Cleveland

Mojouw
09-13-2015, 04:42 PM
not necessarily true, just look at the 3 DE/OLBs taken ahead of Jarvis Jones in the 2013 NFL Draft:

1(3) Dion Jordan Miami
1(5) Ziggy Ansah Detroit

Fair enough. But I would argue that Ansah's 15.5 sacks are far more than Jones's 3 career sacks. Mingo has 7 and factoring in Jones' injury, let's call that a push. Dion Jordan is also in the "bust" category both as a player and a person apparently. Although Ansah profiles as too heavy to play OLB in a 3-4, I don't think there is anyone who wouldn't trade his production for Jarvis Jones.

Psycho Ward 86
09-13-2015, 05:02 PM

1(3) Dion Jordan Miami
1(5) Ziggy Ansah Detroit

ziggy is doing well in detroit...

hawaiiansteeler
09-13-2015, 08:38 PM
ziggy is doing well in detroit...

true, and in fairness i included him in my list of the 3 DE/OLB guys that were chosen before JJ.

one is playing well, the other 2 have been big disappointments for the teams that drafted them that high...

katmandu
09-13-2015, 09:22 PM
It is reasonable to look at where Jones was drafted. I've posted this before, but other 3-4 OLBs drafted at similar spots in the draft have almost universally produced FAR better over the first three years of their careers than Jones has. Look up anyone you want on pro football reference. Clay Matthews, Von Miller, Aldon Smith, Demarcus Ware, etc. if you take an edge rusher in the first round of the draft he should be able to beat LTs consistently at the NFL level. Jones has yet to demonstrate that he can do that. How many of them have been in the weight room working out with (1) arm tied behind their back for almost (1) whole year ?

How much upper body strength do you think Jarvis LOST over that past year as a result ? Seriously!

And now he's "supposedly" healthy and not only needs to regain that lost strenght but ADD to it. SIGNIFICANTLY.

The dude is making great strides IMHO.

86WARD
09-13-2015, 10:25 PM
I think Harrison ties his arms back for shits and giggles...

Steeldude
09-14-2015, 05:30 AM
How many of them have been in the weight room working out with (1) arm tied behind their back for almost (1) whole year ?

How much upper body strength do you think Jarvis LOST over that past year as a result ? Seriously!

And now he's "supposedly" healthy and not only needs to regain that lost strenght but ADD to it. SIGNIFICANTLY.

The dude is making great strides IMHO.

It doesn't take that long to gain your strength back. I have suffered many injuries, including a broken wrist. It didn't take that long to gain my strength back. Jones' wrist has nothing to do with his effort or his legs.

Jones was interviewed saying working out to get stronger is the last thing he will do to get better, if he chooses to do it at all. Thankfully he hung out with Harrison for a bit in the summer.

katmandu
09-14-2015, 09:49 AM
I think Harrison ties his arms back for shits and giggles...LMAO!

That's why God only made (1) James Harrison !

- - - Updated - - -

Jones was interviewed saying working out to get stronger is the last thing he will do to get better, if he chooses to do it at all. Thankfully he hung out with Harrison for a bit in the summer.WTF ? I'd like see a link to that interview.

How could any Professional athlete even think to say....let alone admit such a thing.... IN PUBLIC ?

- - - Updated - - -

Thankfully he hung out with Harrison for a bit in the summer.Perhaps I'm wrong and the NCO in me is wrong, but I can not believe for one second that Debo (and other seasoned Vets) have not done an up close and personal "INTERVENTION" on Jarvis and other young bucks that need motivated.