PDA

View Full Version : Smart move by Patriots induced crucial penalty against Steelers

stillers4me
09-12-2015, 07:11 AM
The Steelers had problems with their headset communication in their 28-21 season-opening loss Thursday night against the New England Patriots, but, according to members of the offensive line, that was not the only bit of gamesmanship the Patriots used to throw off the Steelers.

Offensive left guard Ramon Foster believes the Patriots induced a crucial illegal-procedure penalty on a third-and-goal from the 1 in the fourth quarter. The penalty pushed the Steelers back to the 6, and they had to settle for a field goal that cut the deficit to 21-14.

“They yelled ‘move’ real loud and then they shifted,” Foster said. “That’s what they do. You can see on film. One of their linebackers is yelling. When you’re that close, on third-and-1 on the goal line … they try to capitalize on things like that. We just have to do better.”

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger was irate with officials after they called the penalty on the Steelers. Defenses are allowed to shift at any time, but officials can call a penalty on defenders who try to induce procedure penalties with their oral communication.

“In my mind, I thought it should have been a flag, but with the crowd noise and stuff like that, I guess they got away with it,” Foster said. “They’re good at playing situations like that.”..........

Read more @ http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2015/09/12/Smart-move-by-Patriots-induced-crucial-penalty-against-Steelers/stories/201509120054

tube517
09-12-2015, 09:10 AM
Well, you know Bellicheat is a JEAN-YUS, I tell ya, JEAN-YUS. He can do no wrong. Know his place in history , you haters. :jerkit:

teegre
09-12-2015, 09:19 AM
Cue TeeTee in 5... 4...

salamander
09-12-2015, 09:42 AM
How the f*ck was that a "smart move"? Like everything else that scumbag team does, it was bush league.

zulater
09-12-2015, 09:59 AM
How the f*ck was that a "smart move"? Like everything else that scumbag team does, it was bush league.

Yeah it was bush league. But now what you can expect is that every team in that defensive situation will do it until the dumb ass refs start to call it. Like Wallace said, what does a defense have to lose there? All they get penalized is 6 inches, which down there doesn't make any significant difference.

What the league should do is have the refs call a penalty on the defense for unsportsmanlike conduct and award an automatic first down. Start doing that then the risk reward factor will swing teams away from that sort of bush league bullshit.

fansince'76
09-12-2015, 10:04 AM
Yer all just jealous haters!

:chuckle:

Rotorhead
09-12-2015, 11:03 PM
Always trying to skirt the rules, just play f*ing ball and quit that sh!t and your dam team might get some respect.

Butch
09-12-2015, 11:10 PM
Yeah it was bush league. But now what you can expect is that every team in that defensive situation will do it until the dumb ass refs start to call it. Like Wallace said, what does a defense have to lose there? All they get penalized is 6 inches, which down there doesn't make any significant difference.

What the league should do is have the refs call a penalty on the defense for unsportsmanlike conduct and award an automatic first down. Start doing that then the risk reward factor will swing teams away from that sort of bush league bullshit.

I like that idea to bad it won't happen.

fansince'76
09-12-2015, 11:29 PM
I like that idea to bad it won't happen.

That's just it - they WILL do it if anybody else tries it.

Steeldude
09-13-2015, 12:03 AM

Teams could do it on 1st down. Nothing to lose then.

hawaiiansteeler
09-13-2015, 12:26 AM

in that case, the guilty team should be placed on:

http://images.yuku.com.s3.amazonaws.com/image/jpg/ce11637d0942733c1702c25a6c2b31b6ab99973a_r.jpg

Count Steeler
09-13-2015, 12:30 AM
It is not a Smart move. How would they know that the refs would not call the play properly? If the refs were in the game, the penalty would have been on the Cheats*, not on the Steelers. Like it was already stated, they had nothing to lose. The refs continue to be sub par and bring the general level of the NFL to bush league status.

Butch
09-13-2015, 07:02 AM

Sure they could, but giving a team a 1st down in that area of the field would at least give a team food for thought for doing so. It is a much better solution than the inches you may or may not really get now.

zulater
09-13-2015, 10:20 AM

True. But in this case they did it on 3rd down. So it would have made a difference. Also the refs could issue a bench warning. The ramifications could be the league would review the incident after the game, and if it's determined that the offending team was being purposely belligerent the team and head coach would be subject to a significant fine. Repeat violations would subject the head coach to suspension. Something long overdue for B.B.

You could legislate it out of the league if that's what you wanted. And in my opinion the league should strongly consider actions such as I described.

86WARD
09-13-2015, 02:04 PM
But you and I and the rest of the board know that they won't...

fansince'76
09-13-2015, 02:07 PM
Bu-bu-but, it's gamesmanship! Jealous haters are just pissed off that the Patriots are smarter than their team and thought of it first! :jerkit:

Craic
09-13-2015, 02:14 PM
To me, that's the same thing as a CB purposefully grabbing the jersey of a WR who got by him. It's an in-game decision where you weigh the risk and reward, and then decide the risk is worth it and do it. It's part of strategy, rather than purposefully tilting the field of play (like videotaping or deflated footballs). I don't have a problem with them doing it. Should it have been a penalty? Yep. But it wasn't, so their risk paid off. Good for them.

tube517
09-13-2015, 04:05 PM
You guys really need to stop with the hate. I mean I've been a Steeler fan for 950 years but this is ridiculous.

**Hiding from 86Ward*** :peep::behindsofa::bounce:

fansince'76
09-13-2015, 04:07 PM
You guys really need to stop with the hate. I mean I've been a Steeler fan for 950 years but this is ridiculous.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

hawaiiansteeler
09-13-2015, 04:15 PM

who did you root for before the Steelers? :cheer2:

86WARD
09-13-2015, 08:50 PM

Why hide from me? Lol...

Craic
09-15-2015, 10:49 PM
who did you root for before the Steelers? :cheer2:

Probably the Gauls or Vandals.

steelreserve
09-15-2015, 11:34 PM
This is one of the few times I've wished I had moderator power, so I could change the thread title from "Smart move" to "Jerk move"

hawaiiansteeler
09-16-2015, 01:10 AM
This is one of the few times I've wished I had moderator power, so I could change the thread title from "Smart move" to "Jerk move"

yes, that would be a much more appropriate title name...